In this Discussion

10/29/10 - Terminal 5. Let's go.

Comments

• Well, depending on how many people we've got going, maybe we can get a closer hotel at a better rate. 

As far as I know, here's the list of attendees:

Me

Beverley

Samanferr

Katy (Jedi_grrrlie)

Hyannah

Suzanne (sureeyesawake)

Katieyellow… I think?

Azulaco

Bullshituous...?  Right? I only found one post leading me to believe you were coming.

My friend Stacey

Debbie and Becky have backed out because they're doing the midwest thing.  Does that apply to Sunnyside Hannah as well?  Have I forgotten anyone (and if I have, my sincerest apologies)?  We're looking at 8-10 people, so that's 2-3 rooms.  What I propose is that we take the total cost of rooms and divide it evenly amongst us because that way if we end up with two rooms of 4 it doesn't shaft the two in the room of 2.  Or 2 rooms of 3 with a room of 4, or however we want to work this.  Stacey's dad might be able to get us a good rate too, so let's not give up hope in that regard either.

Ladies.  This is now a mere 2 months away!  (And I will see them at Music Fest in… 17 days.  Oh Crap, 17 Days.  Wow.  OK)

• "17 Days" is my favorite Purple Rain -era Prince song.

But I really logged in to say, if that many of you are definitely going you can qualify for group rates and discounts. Keep that in mind when you call around. Not just "There will be 10 of us," but "My group of ten." You don't have to be a specific entity for those most of the time, but sometimes booking clerks need to be reminded...

• I am so excited.  I'm fine with 2 rooms cause this beeotch is broke.  We could always ask for cots.  I'm so excited to see all you ladies <3
  • Rose, I might be going but not 100% sure yet. I am kind of right in the middle between yes and no right now. I do have a ticket, though! I probably won't know for at least another month, so just to be on the safe side I would not include me in your count because if I don't end up going I don't want it to be an issue for you guys.

As much as I love them, I'm not much for hostels anymore either even though there are people of all ages hostelling all over the world. I'm just old and get kind of cranky when people come stumbling into the dorm at 3 am. 

I just thought that hostels might be a good suggestion for some of you youthful boardies who haven't already become grouchy and world weary. Esp since they are the cheapest way to go in NYC and I can personally recommend that one as being clean/decent.

I hope I end up going, but it really depends on a few factors so I have to wait and see. It would be amazing to meet you guys!

• I was just talking to some people from CT who stay overnight in NYC all the time, and they said check Priceline's Name Your Own Price for stuff in/around Times Square, as this is not the busy season for the Square (that doesn't start until the holidays start up), so you can find decent prices. That being said, the Square is BORING. Especially if y'all are coming from way outside of New York / the East coast. It's close to the venue, but it's a total snore. I wouldn't want to after party there at all, unless we were going to after party in our hotel rooms, which is totally possible.

Also, the same people said that the YMCA hostel is clean and cheap, but by "cheap," it's an easy $112 for two people, so. Welcome to New York City!

Also also, everyone who's in on this probably needs to give a definite yay or nay sometime in the near future, so that reservations can be made not at the last second and so I can decide if I have an extra ticket or if my boyfriend and I will be looking for our own room.

PS: Beverley, hostels are not just for the "youth." I've been all around Europe and seen people of all ages stay in them. I wouldn't be put off by it, but if we're going that route, let's find one that has two four-person rooms open and preferably suites.

• If staying super close to the venue is important to you guys, then there is a Holiday Inn on 57th between 9th and 10th. That's the closest hotel I could find.

Those blocks get pretty long when your walking waaayyyy west in Manhattan!

• Sorry for interrupting the planning, but the other night I had a dream that Amber (why Amber?) sent me this huge packet of info and tickets and things, just to get me to come to the Terminal 5 show. And I had to turn it down. Sad day. Anyway, it was another instance where you guys invaded my dreams.

• Aleatory said:

Anyway, it was another instance where you guys invaded my dreams.

It's all part and parcel of being a boardie. :-)

Turdelini, who is an awesome Boston-area former boardie, has tickets to the show that she finds she cannot use.  If anyone is perhaps interested, she's selling them for face value.

• Aleatory said:

Sorry for interrupting the planning, but the other night I had a dream that Amber (why Amber?) sent me this huge packet of info and tickets and things, just to get me to come to the Terminal 5 show. And I had to turn it down. Sad day. Anyway, it was another instance where you guys invaded my dreams.

Aww, I would have loved to give stuff to you! I would love to go to NY, too, but sigh. BUT, the boys are coming to Chicago, so I can't complain to much. Laugh
  • violetchaos364 said:
    Aleatory said:

Sorry for interrupting the planning, but the other night I had a dream that Amber (why Amber?) sent me this huge packet of info and tickets and things, just to get me to come to the Terminal 5 show. And I had to turn it down. Sad day. Anyway, it was another instance where you guys invaded my dreams.

Aww, I would have loved to give stuff to you! I would love to go to NY, too, but sigh. BUT, the boys are coming to Chicago, so I can't complain to much. Laugh

Ehh, lucky you. They're pretty much skipping the West coast this time. I guess it's karma for me having been able to go to the OK Go film fest.

Sorry, don't mind me clogging this thread with my jealous discussion, carry on!

• bullshituous said:

57th between 9th and 10th

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORING.

• jedi_grrlie said:
    bullshituous said:

57th between 9th and 10th

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORING.

LOL jedi, are you a NY native?  I agree, but I feel out-of-towners will like that area since it's a little NY-tourist-y.  Do you think there's another place we could go?  I suggested Chelesea Hotel (I believe) at some point but it's a little pricey.  I love the area and surrounding neighborhoods.  Thoughts?

• I'm definitely in. Just wanted to confirm that, since I haven't been on the board much. w/r/t where to stay, I would put some stock in what Katy (jedi_grrlie) has to say on this. I could go for a hotel or hostel, as long as it's clean & relatively safe. We're probably not going to spend much time there. Let's get ourselves into two hotel rooms or a dorm room in a hostel. I haven't visited NYC in years, but I have been there multiple times, back in college.
  • is this show sold out? i posted a thread on the main page about 2 extras that i bought way back in may and we can no longer make this date. so if anyone wants to meet in or around NYC in the next month it's face value for the ticktets... and as we get closer the price will go down to a cup of coffee!
  • So, um, The Daily Show and The Colbert Report are having rallies in DC on Saturday, 10/30.  Does anyone else wanna be absolutely crazy with me and do NYC on Friday and DC on Saturday?

We could make this the most epic weekend EVER.

Oh, and I've just heard that Eytan and the Embassy are the opening act for T5.  This means we are all going to dance our little behinds off.  We need to represent and support E&tE!  If you don't already realize it, Eytan plays keys for Secret Dakota Ring, and he's a brilliant musician in his own right.  I had their CD on repeat in the car for weeks.

• DJRose said:

So, um, The Daily Show and The Colbert Report are having rallies in DC on Saturday, 10/30.  Does anyone else wanna be absolutely crazy with me and do NYC on Friday and DC on Saturday?

We could make this the most epic weekend EVER.

Oh, and I've just heard that Eytan and the Embassy are the opening act for T5.  This means we are all going to dance our little behinds off.  We need to represent and support E&tE!  If you don't already realize it, Eytan plays keys for Secret Dakota Ring, and he's a brilliant musician in his own right.  I had their CD on repeat in the car for weeks.

ooooh, YES! I love Jon Stewart! 

I haven't heard of Eytan and Embassy, I'll have to check them out. 

• So that, I would say, was a fairly spectacular evening.  Boardies in attendance were: me, Hyannah77, sureeyesawake, samanferr, BeverlEy, and jedi_grrlie. We did not get a boardie photo, sadly, because at no point were all 6 of us in one place.  Also joining us were my friends Stacey and Becca, Katy's boyfriend Ralph, and I've heard that Samanferr's friend Rachel was there, but I didn't get to see her.

Downsides: all the boardies who couldn't come, crazy bitches behind us who did not believe in personal space, the location of the venue (seriously T5? you are in a shitty neighborhood), and two of my favorites – All Is Not Lost and Oh Lately It's So Quiet – being off the setlist.

Positives: seeing all the boardies who were there, Eytan & The Embassy KILLED IT and at one point brought ARoss and Tim on with them (for what happens to be my favorite E&tE song), the new suits (my first time seeing them), Return on Handbells, In the Glass now in the setlist, and a publicly-advertised afterparty attended by Tim, Damian, Andy and the opening bands which took place at a Ping Pong Bar/Club owned by Susan Sarandon, who was also in attendance and bussing tables in her Halloween costume.  Her costume was so good, incidentally, that if she hadn't been pointed out to me I never would've noticed her.  We're fairly certain she was dressed as Zeppo Marx.  We did get to chat with all four guys, even though Dan didn't go to the afterparty.

This was my friend Stacey's second show (she joined me in Philly in May) and Becca's first.  Even though they were both pushed out of the crowd by the aforementioned bitches behind us who didn't believe in personal space – seriously one had her hand in Stacey's hair – they both enjoyed themselves and are willing to come back to more shows!  Stacey stayed with us for all the post-show merriment, being that I was her ride back home so she didn't have a choice, but still.  When we got to talk with Damian after the show she said "Hi, I'm Stacey.  I'm a friend of Rachel's and I feel like I know you."  Damian laughed and said "You probably know more than you want to know."  Then the 3 of us took a photo together. 

Photos are forthcoming. :-D

Edit: Photos are here. http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2306875&id=8103912&l=c19e663592

• Rachel, that's awesome! I haven't looked at your photos yet (gluten-free, pumpkin-based baking experiments are occuring, and I know I will get sucked into photo-gazing and forget to watch the food), but it sounds like a great show.

Except the bitches behind you. What is UP these days with people thinking it's ok to touch/maul strangers?? I used to think it was just me (you'd be disgusted at what some people think they can get away with because I'm in a wheelchair!), but it's becoming a widespread problem. Bumping into/brushing past/losing one's balance are all understandable, but putting your hands in a strangers hair? What IS that? And how exactly is that going to make them give up their rightful spot in front of you? So Rude! Obviously, these people are new to concerts and ettiquette! If you didn't get to that spot before me and you're not shorter than me (and you pretty much have to be in grade school to be shorter than a woman sitting in a wheelchair Wink), you will stay behind me. And if I don't know you, keep your hands to yourself!

Rant over. Interesting side note: Susan Sarandon apparently is an expert with the costumes. When I used to regularly visit friends who work as personal assistants, I was informed that I failed to recognize her after the fact. I did, however, see her once in a non-Halloween situation (around the time of Banger Sisters, I believe), and she's just fabulous and lovely and nice.

Ok. Halloween Jack pumkin cakes, then T5 photos.

• A set of photos on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hippiesaredead/sets/72157625282121978/with/5133428968/

I will read the rest of this thread when I'm not busy with stuff :)

• Great write-up (though I definitely though Susan Sarandon was Harpo Marx). I was amazed at the crappiness of the crowd that night. I shushed a group during the handbells because they were talking way too loud, and one of the girls goes "oh, we're supposed to be quiet I THOUGHT THIS WAS A ROCK CONCERT". Very rude.