In this Discussion

OK Go have done an iTunes playlist

edited November -1 in OK Go
Okay, well, I was going to copy and paste the text where Damian talks about each song chosen, but apparently you can't lift text from iTunes, or I'm momentarily stupid. Anyway, to find it, look up OK Go in iTunes and in the store stuff above the song listings there'll be a picture with "Essentials" by it. Click on that.

Neato.

Comments

• That is such a Damian playlist, haha.

I want to get it, but I don't want to spend $13.86. tongue.gif But I only have one of those songs already. Darn. tongue.gif again.
  • That's a good playlist.

I only have the The Police and the Private, though.

Metric's good. smile.gif
  • I thought about doing a topic to talk about the guys'  playlists, but well, I think this will do?

I've actually been quite addicted to some of the bands either Damian or Tim recommended. Except for Discovery, I had heard of all of them previously, but never paid enough attention.

Discovery and Mew were the ones I was more eager to hear because they talked about it so much... at first didn't like Discovery but the second time I heard it was like 'wow, thank God I gave it a second listen'. I had found them too eletro, like, weird... but then when I heard it again I was like 'this is kind of magical' haha

Tim mentioned once that power pop duo Sleigh Bells, now I'm kinda addicted to them too. 

Well, I'm not ashamed of admitting that there are some epic well known artists in their playlists I had never even paid much attention to until they talked about it (such as Jay Z, Flaming Lips and Outkast), because unlike some people I know, I don't pretend I have known all the bands that my favourite bands like just to look cool haha. But I'm glad I stopped being lazy (I am, I am so very lazy for music that are not from my favourite bands and most of the times I only know the singles) and now downloaded it all :)

How about you guys? :)

• As a general rule, I don't tend to look up bands that are recommended by bands I like.  I find that their tastes and mine don't necessarily mesh too well, or that I find what they like to be more attractive when packaged with their other influences and filtered through them.  For instance, Kurt Cobain's heavy Melvins influence and my subsequent disappointment upon listening to them, or Maynard James Keenan's love for Tori Amos and my being all right with her but certainly not sharing his enthusiasm.  So I pay only passing attention to bands' playlists, noting when they add music that I already know I like but rarely listening to things I've not heard of myself.

However, Damian is a huge fan of the Pixies.  Anybody who's a fan of the Pixies is all right by me, and gets my immediate attention.  Add some Violent Femmes covers, some T. Rex…  I wasn't really set on listening to anything any of the band members recommended, but they kept mentioning things I already knew I liked, and I kept inwardly cheering every time I saw somebody ask for their influences.

Then I went to a concert, and before they hit the stage, they put on a playlist.  I recognized only one song, and that was Cee-Lo Green's "Fuck You," which I knew thanks to the provocative title and recommendations by friends that had happened before Tim started pimping it in interviews.  That tipped me off that what was to come was likely picked directly by the band.  And though I had no idea what the songs that played afterwards were, I loved every single one of them, and ended up on a mission to figure out what they all were afterward.  Part of that mission included Tweeting at them to ask, but I never got a reply.

Then a friend accidentally cleared up part of the mystery by linking me "Kids" by MGMT.  One song down!  And then the band itself put out a playlist, and I listened to every song on it and, lo and behold, all of the before-set songs were right there!  Now I find myself checking out every band they recommend, because I haven't heard a single song they've said is good that I didn't like.  Literally, not one!

…And I now own an MGMT album, which has been spinning and spinning on my computer, and which my husband is completely sick to death of.  Sleigh Bells is next, followed probably by Mark Ronson & the Business International.  Maybe Metric after that.

Laeticia, I didn't know they liked Outkast!  Another excellent choice from them.  ;)

Edited to add:  23!

• I've very slow to listen to new music. I'm not patient enough. If it doesn't grab me instantly, I usually move on. Which means I miss out on some good music just because it may take a few listens for it to click for me. Such as OTBCOTS - I really wanted to like it, so I gave it time - then it clicked in my head and I can't get enough (thank you for the ENE!)

Same for the Pixies. I liked 'Debaser' when the boys performed it 04/17/10 and I was pretty much told that I couldn't associate with boardies unless I listened to the Pixies (KIDDING!) so I picked up the 'hits' collection. Took me a few listens - then, again, CLICK!

• violetchaos364 said:

I've very slow to listen to new music. I'm not patient enough. If it doesn't grab me instantly, I usually move on. Which means I miss out on some good music just because it may take a few listens for it to click for me. Such as OTBCOTS – I really wanted to like it, so I gave it time – then it clicked in my head and I can't get enough (thank you for the ENE!)

Same for the Pixies. I liked 'Debaser' when the boys performed it 04/17/10 and I was pretty much told that I couldn't associate with boardies unless I listened to the Pixies (KIDDING!) so I picked up the 'hits' collection. Took me a few listens – then, again, CLICK!

same here, Amber *about being slow to listen to new music*

I used to be a freak for that back in 03, 04 (that's even when I found out about OK Go), but with time I got lazy. I already liked bands that fulfilled my music crazyness (besides the classics and some other bands, I had OK Go and Weezer, and I was happy with that – and a bunch of indie bands that came with time). 

The thing with Pixies was that my sister (15 years older than me) was a child from the 80's, early 90's music. She loves the Pixies, Talking Heads, Smiths, Cure, etc. When I started listening to rock, I was about 16, she was like 'hey, why don't you borrow a few of my cd's' and then I got Smiths and Cure and I really liked that. And then I turned to Pixies and I was like 'I don't understand a word he's saying, why is he yelling so much??!?!'  HAHAHAHA

the thing is I wasn't accostumed to that sort of punk'ish style of distorted guitars and loud vocals. So I didn't really listen to Pixies (besides Here Comes Your Man because everybody just loves that song) until about 2006, 2007, I think. And it wasn't because I started with the OK Go recommendations stuff, it was because I felt obligated to give a listen again haha! I'm glad I did!

The thing about their recommendations and playlists is the simple fun of it: I go from Jay-Z to Discovery, from Pixies to Sade and it makes sense! It's not SO RANDOM, although it obviously is, I got kind of addicted to the playlist.

And TipoDeemin, the Outkast cd that Damian recommended was Stankonia. I do still prefer Love Below, but it's such a fine record still!

• I got into the Pixies in junior high school, on the recommendation of a friend who swore I'd love them.  I had to listen to the album a few times before it grew on me, but once it did, I was completely hooked.  I loved the utter weirdness of it, and the energy!  So I was already a fan by the time I started listening to OK Go, and hearing Damian mention being a fan of the Pixies was like a little flutter of joy in my heart.  ;)

Laeticia, your sister has wonderful taste (and you, too, for listening to her CDS)!  All of those bands are great.  And I am ashamed to say that I've yet to buy an Outkast album, though I keep eyeballing The Love Below, since it has the highest number of songs I YouTube with any consistency.  Maybe I'll just add both of those albums to my To Buy list.

Dammit, OK Go and OK Go fans!  You'll cost me a fortune in new music expenditures!  Laugh

• Dammit, OK Go and OK Go fans!  You'll cost me a fortune in new music expenditures!  Laugh

INORITE?

• Anyone know where you can find any old/new OK Go playlists? Obviously the one first mentioned in this thread isn't there anymore, since that was posted like 4 years ago.
  • Yeah, while I know a decent amoutn of the bands mentioned, I wanna know where to find the playlists.  xP
  • Oh, oh, oh! I found it :D wow I'm stealth.
  • I assume it's on itunes, then?  xP
  • Yes it is, it was just hard to find because it's not featured when you search OK Go anymore. You have to go to the Celebrity playlists page and then it's there :D
  • Still can't find it.  -_-

Am I to assume it's been taken down?

• It should be there, I'll give you some detailed instructions :D

1. Go to the itunes store

2. Look at the tabs at the top that say "Music, Movies, TV Shows, App Store" and put your mouse over music, there will be an arrow next to it pointing down, click it, and then a list of shit will come down, the fourth one saying "itunes essentials" click that.

3. On the right of the screen, there should now be a list of links under a title reading "itunes essentials" click the one that says "Celebrity playlists"

4. Scroll to the bottom of the page until you get to the last box thingy that is entitled  "more to explore" click that

5. Scroll to the bottom of the page and the OK Go playlist will be the first in the second row :D

Hope that works!

• dunkgreener said:Oh, oh, oh! I found it :D wow I'm stealth.

Can you copy and paste that playlist here or something? Because for some reason I can't access the iTunes store yet (my friend who used to do stuff like that for me CANCELLED her freaking iTunes account).

the one I have is from a more obvious place: http://www.bullz-eye.com/music/interviews/2010/damian_kulash.htm

scroll down to the bottom of the page!

I think there must be a link of this somewhere in the interviews and stuff thread, but if you haven't read it, it's worth it :)

I might have added a few other artists to the playlist that's there, because I usually read something somewhere, and they talk about something they like and I just write it down and such. So wellz, if I remember anything more I'll post here...

• Here's the link to the playlist if you're having trouble navigating iTunes to find it: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewMix?id=200738681&s=143441&wm=1

"Police and the Private" by Metric

"The Zookeeper's Boy" by Mew

"Hell Is Chrome" by Wilco

"In Particular" by Blonde Redhead

"Blueprint" by Fugazi

"Wave of Mutilation (UK Surf mix)" by Pixies

"Do What You Gotta Do" by Roberta Flack

Keep in mind this list was released on October 10, 2006.

• Oh you can link the playlist... well. That makes me feel like a dunce XD
  • Here's another playlist that the band posted back in December, for the best albums of 2010.  This is the one that tipped me off to most of the songs that were played before the concert, when I was trying to hunt them down.

http://www.indierockreviews.com/2010/12/ok-gos-top-10-albums-of-2010-irr-exclusive/

• beckysioux said:

Here's the link to the playlist if you're having trouble navigating iTunes to find it: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObj.....1&wm=1

"Police and the Private" by Metric

"The Zookeeper's Boy" by Mew

"Hell Is Chrome" by Wilco

"In Particular" by Blonde Redhead

"Blueprint" by Fugazi

"Wave of Mutilation (UK Surf mix)" by Pixies

"Do What You Gotta Do" by Roberta Flack

Keep in mind this list was released on October 10, 2006.

thanks, as usual, Becky!