In this Discussion

OK Go, Lolla, and nice people.

edited November -1 in OK Go
I've posted on these boards maybe once or twice before but then I forgot my login and set up a new account. ANYWAY...

I love OK Go so much and I have lots to say about them, so much so that I don't know where to start. So I'll just talk about my most recent OK Go experience, which was Lolla!

My friend wasn't sure whether to see OK Go with me or Crystal Castles.  She loves Crystal Castles but has heard me rave about the guys so she decided to stick with me.  It was an awesome show from the start, and we just happened to be standing in the perfect spot for when Damian came out to play Last Leaf (looking back I should have known we were in the right spot but I swear it wasn't strategic).  There were red SweeTea balloons bouncing everywhere, including on Damian's head, and my friend got an awesome shot of that.  I also chatted to a great OK Go fan wearing a Mellow Yellow t-shirt (if he's on here, hi!!).  Just great people in the crowd! I met another fan on Sunday while we waited for Noah and the Whale who was also a big fan.

How is it that OK Go fans are all just the nicest people ever? Speaking of, it was lovely to meet up with Becky (beckysioux) at the fest.  She got way closer than us though. That is dedication.

So. To sum up: OK Go was amazing at Lolla, the show turned my friend into a big fan, and OK Go fans are the best.

Comments

• Hi Kelsey! I really wish we had been able to spend more time together before OK Go's set. I also wish FYE didn't have that stupid policy where you had to buy their new album to meet the boys. You will meet Dan some day. Oh yes, you will.

Also, thanks for starting this thread, I've been meaning to, but I've got vacation brain and haven't done much of anything. I still have yet to upload my pictures from Lolla, but I did manage to get my vids uploaded and on YouTube. For all y'all's viewing pleasure, here are the vids I got that day:

Do What You Want
    All Is Not Lost
    Invincible devastate, devastate. Also, there is a lot of big red ball action in this vid. So much so the boys missed some lyrics here and there.
    Return "Dude, you suck at that." "Yeah, I'm gonna get one of those don't worry. Alright, shut up, sinners."
    Get Over It
    Skyscrapers More big red ball action.

And last but not least, This Too Shall Pass

I'm hoping to work on the pictures this weekend. As soon as I have them up, I'll be sure to post them here.
  • I uploaded my pics. You can view them all here. Enjoy.
  • Your pics are wonderful.  I like the ones of Damian especially.  I think it must take a lot of talent to photograph that man during a concert and not have it come out as nothing but a blue blur.
  • Actually, I think the hardest boy to photograph is Dan. Not only is his drum kit always in the way, but he's in constant motion.
  • Well you certainly got a great one of Dan standing by the drums.  So, thanks for that too.
  • Hi Kelsey/what_to_do/apples_and_lye!!!

Glad you all had fun!

And great pictures and videos, as usual, Becky!
  • So, I had recorded "I Want You So Bad I Can't Breathe" at Lolla, but my camera kinda ate it or something. The file was just crap and there was no way of un-crapping it. I was a little sad because Damian danced a lot for this song.

Someone did record it and I'm so happy that I finally found it.

If you listen really closely during the silent beat, you can kinda hear me and the three drunk girls next to me scream "Underwater!". I'm pretty sure I can hear Kelsey, too.

So, so happy I found this.

Also, this guy has some pretty good videos from the other acts at Lolla. You should check his channel out.
  • Thanks for posting that!  Nice.

And 3:01-3:07 ... *snorkgiggleteeheeheeheehee* Wow.  I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.
  • Doesn't Damian just look like he is having the time of his life in that recording?
  • Double post, I know, but I have a question.  Who the heck is playing tambourine in that song?  Damian doesn't have one, Dan is busy on the drums, Andy is on guitar and Tim is (as usual) on bass.  So again I ask, who's playing the tambourine?
  • A vid here: http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/08/20/lollapalooza-what-you-didnt-see/

OK Go talking bits at 0:22, 4:58, 12:39, and ... ?  I couldn't get the dang video to keep playing through the last minute of the 19 minutes, so that's the mystery minute.
  • I really tried watching that video, but after the 5th time of it stopping and reloading, I was done with it. I'm just glad I got to see Dan talk about his staring contest with Animal.

And holy carp do the artists get to take home a lot of swag. I was really hoping to bump into one of the boys walking around, but it looks like they were really busy doing interviews and going to the "free stuff here" places instead of taking in some music from other bands they might not have heard before.
  • Well I personally can't blame the guys for wanting to get their hands on some "freebles" as my father in law calls them.  Still had I gone I would have been hoping to run into them as well.  You know the bright side is that if they play Lolla again next year yoiu'll know where to look for them.  You and I can stake out the entrances to those places and "acidentally" run into them.  LOL.