In this Discussion

Needing/Getting video thread

edited November -1 in OK Go
Alright kids, the video for Needing/Getting is complete and will drop on February 5th. And it's set in the desert.

So, shall we speculate what it's about or wait patiently for the 5th to arrive?

Comments

• BeckiWitte said:

Wait patiently?  But this is not the way of my people!

Seriously, when have we ever not speculated?

I've already done my fair shaire of specualtion on Andy's thread where I went a bit zany... NASA meets scratch-n'-sniff cards meets Ford sponsor. I'm going with something to do with cars. When I think of a desert, I think of one straight road into the sunset. But we've been suprised many times before. No one could've expected the unitards. No one.
  • magnoliamaggiemag said:

BeckiWitte said:

Wait patiently?  But this is not the way of my people!

Seriously, when have we ever not speculated?

I've already done my fair shaire of specualtion on Andy's thread where I went a bit zany... NASA meets scratch-n'-sniff cards meets Ford sponsor. I'm going with something to do with cars. When I think of a desert, I think of one straight road into the sunset. But we've been suprised many times before. No one could've expected the unitards. No one.

I agree on the car part. Maybe they're going to make a huge sand drawing, by driving around in (rocket-powered) cars? Maybe something with explosions? Who knows? Anyways, I'm so happy they've finally made a video for Needing/Getting, because it's one of my favourite songs of the album!
  • glamour_and_sedition said:

Right on with the cars.  Apparently the video features the Chevy Sonic:

http://www.trust.org/trustmedi.....g-efforts/

OMG WE GUESSED CORRECTLY!!! SUCH A WIN!!!

So now that we know it includes a car, what can they do with it? Maria said sand drawings. I'm thinking choreographed car driving, because everything they do is choreographed :P. Does the photo have anything suspicious? Like the little roads in the middle, is that what they're driving on?
  • sneak-peek >squee<  Laugh :

http://gizmodo.com/5880556/exclusive-preview-ok-gos-new-thousand+instrument-music-video

(so... singer is a professionally trained driver, huh? Cool)
  • I can't wait.  This is worse than waiting for Christmas for me.
  • In one of the pictures of the car they're using, there's a long, wire-like arm sticking out from the side...  I wonder if they've figured out a way to play the instruments with it by driving past them?  ...Man...  Now I have to wait five more days to see this??
  • I'm excited to see just how good a driver Damian is. And what are aross and Dan gonna do from the backseat?

With just that picture at the top of the thread, my mind went in a completely different direction than where the video ended up. I wonder which quarter the video will air. Hopefully it'll be up before half-time as viewership tends to dwindle after that and I would very much like for the boys to get as much exposure as possible.
    Allergic to whole wheat.
  • My guess is as gd as Tipo's :) altho like Bex I initially thought they were gonna do sand drawings in one car each or sth... :P 

Next up, gotta find out how I'll be able to get hold of the vid halfway across the globe fm yallz! :( x
  • TipoDeemin said:

In one of the pictures of the car they're using, there's a long, wire-like arm sticking out from the side...  I wonder if they've figured out a way to play the instruments with it by driving past them?  ...Man...  Now I have to wait five more days to see this??

I agree. It makes sense from the trailer, since all the homemade instruments look like they could be hit while driving past them. But how do you play a piano/guitar at 60mph? Are they gonna go all Mythbuster's on us and crash into them? I can't figure this one out...

beckysioux said:

I'm excited to see just how good a driver Damian is. And what are aross and Dan gonna do from the backseat?

In the trailer, the part where Damian asks "are you guys ready?" has a lot of clues. It looks like from the trailer Dan and Andy will be controlling the metal arms on the outside with the screen infront of their faces. If you look in the bottom-left corner you can see Tim will be playing a guitar. So it all makes sense.

Actually, knowing all this makes me more impatient. Febraury 5th, please come faster!!!
  • Here's another lovely little article. Damian is quoted in it, too.

General Motors Company : Chevrolet to Debut Five Ads on Super Bowl Sunday 
    Chevrolet to Debut Five Ads on Super Bowl Sunday Sonic and band OK Go team up for first-of-its-kind music video

'"Needing Getting"  is a preview of a first-of-its-kind music video from the band OK Go that will air during the pregame program.  The band members are shown driving the new Sonic on a musical racecourse to produce the sounds that make up their new song. The music video will debut simultaneously on NBC and MTV.com.' (bold emphasis mine)

I'd rather the video premiered during the game, but seeing as how the song itself is 5:13, it would be hard to put that in during the commercial break. Unless of course they cut some of it, which I'm really hoping they didn't.

And if you aren't one to watch the Super Bowl, looks like you can watch it on MTV. And just think, MTV will actually be showing a video!!!
    Allergic to whole wheat.
  • I just got an email and I feel for those who haven't gotten it should see because I'M SOOSOSOSOSOSO EXCITED FOR THEM AND I CAN'T BELIEVE I MADE OTHER PLANS THAT DAY BECAUSE I'M CRAZY BUT READ THIS LETTER!!!!

Dear Friends, 

As you may have heard by now, we'll be premiering our brand new music video for "Needing/Getting" this coming Sunday, February 5th, as part of the Super Bowl broadcast on NBC. We even made a trailer for the thing, which you can see here. We are ridiculously excited about how the clip turned out, and can't wait to share it with you. For this video we partnered with Chevrolet and their new Sonic, much as we partnered with State Farm Insurance for the Rube Goldberg "This Too Shall Pass" video and with Google Chrome for the "All Is Not Lost" video. Since leaving EMI, this model of partnering up for our various creative endeavors has let us continue to make the work we want to make, the way we want to make it, at no cost to you, our fans. It's a crazy new world out there in the music industry, and we are extremely grateful for all of your support of these methods and of the work we've been able to make as a result. 

The partnership with Chevy was just the kind of deal we love.  They liked our idea and agreed to give us full creative control. We got to make the exact video we wanted to make, and they helped make our crazy idea possible. Everything was going swimmingly and we were on target for a February premiere. But then a funny thing happened. We finished the video, showed it to the bigwigs at Chevy and GM, and they fell instantly, head-over-heels in love with it. So much so that they immediately proposed a complete change of schedule to integrate it deeply into their Super Bowl plans. We were floored. What an amazingly bizarre and wonderful world we live in where the most batshit crazy video we've ever made can suddenly climb to the top of advertising world heap overnight.  Two years ago, when we struck out on our own, we never would have dreamed that we'd find ourselves staring down a Super Bowl launch of a completely ludicrous video comprised of 1,157 homemade instruments, a massively hacked car, and Damian as a professional stunt driver. It's the exact level of crazy we love. Some things just work out. 

So, all by way of saying, we'd like to share with you the Super Bowl Sunday OK Go "Needing/Getting" Extravaplan 2012™. We know not every single OK Go fan is, by default, a fan of American Football. So we figured we should give you the heads up in case you were planning to be roller skating, ice fishing, or otherwise engaged that day. 

Super Bowl Sunday OK Go "Needing/Getting" Extravaplan 2012™ 
    (all times are Eastern Standard)

12:00pm - Don your beer helmet and start deep frying your chicken wings. It's an American tradition.

2:15pm - This is an estimated time, as the program is still a bit up in the air. But we will be appearing on the NBC Pre-Game broadcast, likely from the red carpet at the Super Bowl, to introduce the video. NBC will then air a two minute excerpt of the video itself on air. At that time, the video will also go live online and accessible worldwide both as a YouTube embed (naturally) at Chevy's microsite http://www.LetsDoThis.com and on MTV.com.

Sometime During the Game - We will also appear briefly in a larger Chevy ad, which, due to the way they rollout Super Bowl ads these days, you can already see online here.

Post-Game - Immediately following the game, Chevy will be debuting our dedicated television ad for the "Needing/Getting" video. Thirty glorious seconds of OK Goodness. So stick around for that moment when one team wins, the other team loses, they pan around to all the happy and sad faces for 20 seconds, and then cut to commercial. Because there we'll be. 

Or just go kite-skiing Sunday and check out all the action on the internet come Monday morning. It's that kind of world we live in, and you can do what you like. But that's the plan, and we wanted you to hear it from us first. Mostly because we can't sleep or sit still due to general over-excitedness. Turns out that's a thing. And we've got it bad. Oh and be sure to hit okgo.net come Sunday as well, as we should have a few new bits and bobs up there by then as well... 

Thanks, 

Damian, Tim, Dan, and Andy

YAYAYAYAYAY GOOD THINGS DO HAPPEN! I CAN'T SLEEP NOW EEEEEEEEK!!!!!
  • ZOMG.  That's all I can say.  Well, that and I'm glad ARoss gets to see the Super Bowl.  He was especially excited about it when I talked with them Saturday.  

I was rooting for the Giants, but now I'm rooting for OK Go.
  • Here's another little article. This time it tells us the exact time the vid will air. And considering this is from one of the channels that will be airing the video (albeit online), they probably have the right info.

OK Go Goes For A Drive In Their 'Needing/Getting' Video

OK Go's "Needing/Getting" video, which premieres Sunday, Feb. 5, at 2:32 p.m. ET on MTV.com, employs 55 pianos, 288 guitars, more than 1,100 homemade instruments (many of which get the wind knocked out of them at speeds of 40 miles per hour), and a racetrack painstakingly planned and laid out in the Acton, California, desert.
    Allergic to whole wheat.
  • Okay yeah, I'm excited - new video.  Tomorrow. I'm thinking some combo of driving sand-art and playing while driving.. maybe?

I guess we'll see.. soon, at least.  :D
  • beckysioux said:

Here's another little article. This time it tells us the exact time the vid will air. And considering this is from one of the channels that will be airing the video (albeit online), they probably have the right info.

OK Go Goes For A Drive In Their 'Needing/Getting' Video

OK Go's "Needing/Getting" video, which premieres Sunday, Feb. 5, at 2:32 p.m. ET on MTV.com, employs 55 pianos, 288 guitars, more than 1,100 homemade instruments (many of which get the wind knocked out of them at speeds of 40 miles per hour), and a racetrack painstakingly planned and laid out in the Acton, California, desert.

Thanks bunches for this link, Becky... so glad to have confirmation for air time Laugh  So, so, so excited!!
  • That was AWESOME!!!!  I loved it!  I can't believe they pulled it off.  OK, I need to go watch it some more.
  • Thanks for blocking everyone outside the US from watching it guys… yeah, nice one. I'd been waiting all day for this. :(

EDIT: Sorry for complaining, it's up on youtube now. And it is awesome. :D
  • I'm disappointed. I needed a good video and I got this instead.

Don't get me wrong, it was innovative, creative and spectacular. But the meaning got lost. At least, the meaning for me.

They did a great job and I'm sure I'm the only person who doesn't like it.
    Allergic to whole wheat.
  • I think it's ok to be disappointed. It shows you care enough to have a feeling about the song/video.

I was impressed with the innovation too. No complaint in that it was a fun watch. Like or dislike everyone agrees their videos are far from boring! Each one though leaves the question of whether it's going to be topped or time to go back to basics.

I guess what I mean is, even though I love the creativity I tend to lean toward watching their acoustic/performance vids. I liked N/G, but since I love the song, the pauses to get to the next instruments were tough to watch since I like the song more.

Happy to see a new video though! Now don't make a girl beg and let's see some new album-age in the near future ;)