In this Discussion

Bands You May Not Know, But Should...

12346»

Comments

• well i dunno if you guys have heard of 'em but i like this one song by The Honorary Title its called "Bridge and Tunnel" and it is really an amazing song

louis XIV has this one song called God Killed the Queen

Robbers on HIgh Street check out Japanese Girls such a fun song

and of course anything by Locksley
  • I cannot recommend The Coral enough, if you like something about unusual, but not insane, then you'd like em. Their singles tend to be a bit bland, but the albums are always awesome! Each song tells some dark story. Quality band.
  • Hood - reason for existence; small town boredom.

http://www.hoodmusic.net/
  • QUOTE (minia @ Jan 24 2005, 11:27 PM)
    The '89 Cubs....
    www.myspace.com/the89cubs

it's a guy from desaparecidos, a guy from bright eyes, and a guy from the good life. it's like SADDLE CREEK UNITEEE!!!! hahaha. it's pretty good. pretty simple, but good for what it is.

!!!! Oh mannn.

Based from everyone's reactions from this band, I'd like to recommend Statistics because he is Denver Dalley from Desaparecidos.

Is the "guy from desaparecidos" and the "guy from bright eyes" Conor Oberst? He was in both of those bands. Also, is the "guy from the Good Life" Tim Kasher?

I guess I shall check it out, haha. I suppose I should have already, but I've been preoccupied with Statistics lately. So good.

And if you don't know who Desaparecidos is either, you should check them out. I can't find a link for them, but if I do, I'll post it!

QUOTE (QueenofthePosers @ Jan 27 2005, 07:19 PM)
    umm, sorry if these have been said...

Melee

Anberlin

Cartel

Death From Above 1979

My American Heart

That's it for now. I'll get back to you with more later.

My American Heart! Seconded!

QUOTE (MODERNage @ Jan 27 2005, 11:52 PM)
    Pavement

I didn't realize you guys had such good taste in music, lol.

QUOTE (minia @ Feb 1 2005, 07:42 PM)
    cut copy. www.cutcopy.net

I greatly dislike this album. 'Nuff said.

QUOTE (minia @ Feb 8 2005, 05:46 PM)
    I don't mean to offend you in anyway, but personally, I cannot stand Action Action. I dunno what it is about them.

Me neither. Annoys the shit out of me.

QUOTE (QueenofthePosers @ Mar 3 2005, 08:03 PM)
    yeah they're known here too.
    check out Bedlight for BlueEYES, The Sun, Dearly Departed, Ever Since Radio, and if you haven't yet, shame on you for never listening to Eisley or Pretty Girls Make Graves.

BEDlight for BlueEYES is pretty damn good.

QUOTE (DefyAllLogic @ Mar 22 2005, 10:20 PM)
    I really like hellogoodbye.

!!

QUOTE (SeeChrisRun @ Mar 23 2005, 02:45 PM)
    Damn, i dont have all of the indie hookups you guys have, here are mine, not all of them are unknown, but either way they kick ass.

Red Hot Chili Peppers- Do they need an introduction? I just read Anthony Kiedis' autoboigraphy, and i have since been listening to them again non stop.
    Album Reccomendations- Californication, Uplift Mofo Party Plan

Electric Six- Possibly the greatest find ever. Thier album, Fire, is one of the best I have listened to in a long while, not overproduced, not sloppy, every song being a complete blowaway. Good if you like Modest Mouse. Thier new album, Senor Smoke, is out in the UK, and I am seriously contemplating buying an imported copy from amazon for thirty bucks. Ech!
    Album Reccomendation- Fire

Cake- Again, not the most unknown, but thier funk-ish rock put them in thier own music category.
    Album Reccomendations- Motorcade of Generosity, Pressure Chief

Beck- Awesome marriage of New Age and Rock. New album, Guero, is coming out March 29th.
    Album Reccomendation- Odelay

Coldplay- The best of Brit rock, new album, X&Y, coming out June 6th.
    Album Reccomendations- Rush of Blood to The Head, Parachutes

Future Leaders Of The World- Very good band, Hard Rock, reminiscent of Nirvana.
    Album Reccomendation- LVL IV

The Strokes- Not much to say, a phenomenal band. New album coming out towards the end of the year.
    Album Reccomendations- This Is It, Room on Fire

Incubus- Political- Stoner Rock, good band, last album was awesome.
    Album Reccomendation- Crow Left Of The Murder

Others that are too obvious to list- OK Go, Hot Hot Heat

Hate, hate HATE Future Leaders of the World with a passion. I guess they're from my town, too? I don't know. I just don't like them at all.

QUOTE (Seifer @ Jul 31 2005, 05:25 PM)
    well i dunno if you guys have heard of 'em but i like this one song by The Honorary Title its called "Bridge and Tunnel" and it is really an amazing song

louis  XIV has this one song called God Killed the Queen

Robbers on HIgh Street check out Japanese Girls such a fun song

and of course anything by Locksley

Oh yes. THT. They get kind of boring at times, but they're pretty good.

I've already suggested this band: A CHANGE OF PACE in another thread but they really blow me away.

Also I like PARK a whole lot.

Everyone should know who MOTION CITY SOUNDTRACK is.

And one more: SCARY KIDS SCARING KIDS.

K. Done.
  • QUOTE (kujoisbetterthanyou @ Aug 7 2005, 07:09 PM)
    Everyone should know who MOTION CITY SOUNDTRACK is.

My ringtone is "The Future Freaks Me Out."
  • Ryan Adams and the Cardinals, Cake,the John Butler Trio, and Michael Franti and Spearhead are all great bands. biggrin.gif
  • QUOTE (kujoisbetterthanyou @ Aug 7 2005, 05:09 PM)
    !!!! Oh mannn.

Based from everyone's reactions from this band, I'd like to recommend Statistics because he is Denver Dalley from Desaparecidos.

Is the "guy from desaparecidos" and the "guy from bright eyes" Conor Oberst? He was in both of those bands. Also, is the "guy from the Good Life" Tim Kasher?

I guess I shall check it out, haha. I suppose I should have already, but I've been preoccupied with Statistics lately. So good.

And if you don't know who Desaparecidos is either, you should check them out. I can't find a link for them, but if I do, I'll post it!
    My American Heart! Seconded!

mmmm i love statistics.

and it's not conor oberst. because if it WAS conor oberst, then the 89 cubs would be humongous and have concerts filled with teenage girls.
    but! still check them out because they're fuN!
  • also nico,regina spektor , jack johnson , kings of convenience,morcheeba,and the caesars are a few other good bands and artists
  • Blue October

www.blueoctober.com

Currently from Austin. New album comes out Jan. 31. They've been on a writing/recording sabbatical for almost a year, so I'm psyched that I'll get to see them at ACL, then again a few weeks later. Their lead singer, Justin, is one of those guys that can pull of eyeliner. And his lyrics are incredibly personal, evocative, and amazing.
  • QUOTE (poison @ Sep 1 2005, 08:50 PM)
    Blue October

www.blueoctober.com

Currently from Austin. New album comes out Jan. 31. They've been on a writing/recording sabbatical for almost a year, so I'm psyched that I'll get to see them at ACL, then again a few weeks later.  Their lead singer, Justin, is one of those guys that can pull of eyeliner. And his lyrics are incredibly personal, evocative, and amazing.

i love that song calling you
    its great.
  • Louis XIV...I don't know if they've already been mentioned, but they are my new loves.

The Format, as well. They rock!
  • Ooooh, yes! You told me to check them out (Blue October).. I need to get on that.
  • QUOTE (RejectedSponge @ Sep 1 2005, 09:53 PM)
    i love that song calling you
    its great.

I think the second time i heard them play up here in Chicago, Justin changed the words to "so now I'm on this phone, a thousand miles from home, i'll take the words you gave and send them back to you..."
    it was awesome because it's supposed to be hundred. i really appreciated it since home for me really is 1000 miles away....
  • awww
    i should DL some more of their stuff. because i really do enjoy that song.

i loveee louis xiv. i missed them in concert by like 5 days a month ago. i was highly disappointed.
  • QUOTE (RejectedSponge @ Sep 1 2005, 10:33 PM)
    awww
    i should DL some more of their stuff. because i really do enjoy that song.

May I recommend "A Quiet Mind". "Maybe, This Time" reminds me of it a little (the bass maybe?). Favorite lyric: "give me strength to be kind, to combine all the good things in life that were so hard to find but I have and I won't let them go"
    Sooooo good!
  • THIRSTY MERC – THEIR WEBSITE IS HERE!!! BEST BAND EVER!!! alongside OK Go as well of course