In this Discussion

Fuck 18+

edited November -1 in OK Go
18+ plus concerts make no sense at all... it should just be 21 Plus or all ages. Ok Go could never sell out any venues in MA that are all ages, thus... everyone should die. Agree or disagree?

Comments

• okgo once came to my town. i was SO excited... i waited at least a year for that... i was all ready to go see them... but i found out the place was 21+. not fun..... it scarred me. but im sure i'll see them SOME day. unsure.gif
  • hm
    my other favorite bnad has come here twice. the first time, my mom thought the place was shitty looking, so i couldnt go. and i emailed them, and they said only 6-7 people were there. then they came again. and the show was free. but stupid 21+. i don't see what's wrong w/ just have the bar sectioned off.
  • I went to one all ages show, and there were a lot of annoying high school kids there who didn't even know okgo... they knew people in the opening band, it sucked. The were annoying
  • i agree that 18+ sucks, but shows are 18+ because of curfew laws. so if the venue can't start the show til like 8pm, it obviously wont end til 10 or 11 depending on the number of bands, so they have to make it 18+ so tons of underage kids won't be walking around past curfew at night getting tickets, and then when they are asked where they were and they say such and such venue, and then the police or whoever will get on that venue's case about age limits because of shows going too late and such, so it's a lose-lose situation for everyone involved.

p.s.
    i go to shows where my friends are opening for the band sometimes, and i don't know the band whose headlining. just cause they're psyched to see their friends get a real show doesn't mean they didn't appreciate the other bands, i mean, I wasn't obviously in your particular situation, but seriously, if your friends band was opening for a relatively semi-popular, obviously talented band at a real place not someone's basement, you'd probably be excited for them, too. I'm not justifying any obnoxious behavior, i'm just sayin.
  • what curfew laws? i dont think we have those in MA. the majority of all ages show i go to dont get out till after midnight
  • QUOTE (minia @ Mar 4 2005, 06:05 AM)
    p.s.
    i go to shows where my friends are opening for the band sometimes, and i don't know the band whose headlining. just cause they're psyched to see their friends get a real show doesn't mean they didn't appreciate the other bands, i mean, I wasn't obviously in your particular situation, but seriously, if your friends band was opening for a relatively semi-popular, obviously talented band at a real place not someone's basement, you'd probably be excited for them, too. I'm not justifying any obnoxious behavior, i'm just sayin.

word up--dont bash us high schoolers- you were one once, remember? wink.gif

also though...i think that curfewed shows are ridiculous, and theyre stupid on the venues' parts.
  • QUOTE (sara with no h @ Mar 4 2005, 05:42 PM)
    word up--dont bash us high schoolers- you were one once, remember?  wink.gif

i hate high schoolers that go to show just because they have nothing else to do, i am im high school and i hate high schoolers that do that but their are some quality high schoolers they are just hard to find
  • QUOTE (MODERNage @ Mar 4 2005, 03:13 PM)
    what curfew laws? i dont think we have those in MA. the majority of all ages show i go to dont get out till after midnight

you should look into it. i'm pretty sure most states have curfew laws.
    and yeah that's true, but that's not the venue's fault then, so it can't come back to kick them in the ass when they say it started when it was supposed to.
    believe me, this is the reason there are 18+ shows. i totally agree with you that they're ridiculous and i hate them, but expressing my hatred for the law's stupidity isn't going to change it.

and obviously all people (not just highschoolers) who go to shows without knowing anything about the music (unless they're truly interested in being enlightened) just out of boredom are going to be the most annoying since they end up saying the "stupid" comments or whatever that piss everyone else off because most definitely majority of the people who are there are fans of the band, and don't want to hear people who don't know anything about the music talk about the music...... or anything else for that matter. so it's not really an issue of highschoolers or not, it's more of an issue of random people being bored and deciding to unbore themselves by going to a show by a band they've never even heard of.... and quite honestly, majority of the annoying people at shows are the lame 30 year old men who used to be beer bong champ in his frat in college, and now has a sad cubical job (im not putting cubical jobs down, well i am, but i'm entitled cause im probably going to have one) and decides the best place to get drunk is at a show and then HEY why not crowdsurf and oh my i just kicked someone in the head oh well im too drunk to care. those are the annoying ones. and their girlfriends/girl they found there. whewwwww.

p.s. im not completely disgagreeing with you re: annoying highschool students, I just think you can't generalize like you did.
  • QUOTE (dole8 @ Mar 6 2005, 11:25 PM)
    i hate high schoolers that go to show just because they have nothing else to do, i am im high school and i hate high schoolers that do that but their are some quality high schoolers they are just hard to find

i dont know any highschooler who "just go because they have nothing better to do". Most of us only go to shows if we like the band. We dont usually do anything because we have nothing else to do but drink.
  • QUOTE (MODERNage @ Mar 6 2005, 10:45 PM)
    i dont know any highschooler who "just go because they have nothing better to do". Most of us  only go to shows if we like the band. We dont usually do anything because we  have nothing else to do but drink.

you dont know anyone does that does that?
    most kids iknow that go to shows go because they have nothing better to do
    there were some kids there at my concert that had nothing better to do. but they werent annoying, surprisingly.
  • Boo Hoo highschoolers. Cry me a river. We did our fair share and now its your turn. When you hit 21 you wont want to be at a show with a bunch of teeny boppers either. Disagree with me now, but youll be shoving your foot in your mouth in a few years.
  • and im sure you went through this phase we're going through.
  • you were all right...

Today i gained a new respect for 18 plus after i went to a Hot Hot Heat show with like 1500 13 year old girls... it sucked. HHH was good and we were right up front. Louis XIV was kickass too.
  • LOL

*DIES*

i think i saw HHH when i was 13 or 14 or something like that

oh man

thats funny
  • not all highschool kids are that bad though. yeah, most are, i know that, i go to school with them. but thats why you dont go see bands who have stupid fans like that. hot hot heat? yeah not a great idea. I'M 14 and i get totally annoyed at shows with people who are really immature. like one time i saw rooney before they got big, and they were pretty cool, so i saw them again after they got big, and it was the most unenjoyable show ive ever been to thanks to their fans. same with like, the space twins. there were like all these weezer fans that went to see brian bell and they screamed the whole time.

i know thats not the only reason older people dont like to go to shows with a bunch of highschool kids, but i just wanted to say i dont like to go to shows with people like that either. i'd like to think i don't bother people at shows. i got into the 18+ show in san francisco and i dont think it was obvious i didn't belong there. i talked to several people who were like, asking me about my rent and stuff, and im like whoa there.

i dont know. 18+ shows just dont seem necessary for certain bands. i THINK ok go is one of them. i went to an all ages ok go show in LA, and it was fine. i went to the 18+ show and the only difference was the people there didn't seem like they were as into the band. which as far as im concerned, isnt a good difference.
  • the northhampton show is all ages. it's a bit of a hike if you're real close to Boston but peter pan helps.

18+ shows also are more likely to draw people with money and even connections. reporters and other important people probably won't want to go to a show filled with young children and it also make it seem as if this is the bands demographic.

i agree witht he curfew because haveing kids roaming the streets after a show in quite Northhampton or the city of Boston are very diffrent things.

anyway, i think there are a few new england shows so it shouldn't be difficult to get to another one.
  • When people whine about rules and laws I tend to get pissed, because they could be using their energy to try to actually create change within their government in a real way. But rather than belittling them I simply remind them that they do have and option and a chance.

However in your case youre not old enough to vote yet... so HA HA!!! Sucks to be you whiners! wink.gif

Its all in good fun.
  • i wasn't whining.
  • QUOTE (RejectedSponge @ Mar 7 2005, 02:17 AM)
    you dont know anyone does that does that?
    most kids iknow that go to shows go because they have nothing better to do
    there were some kids there at my concert that had nothing better to do. but they werent annoying, surprisingly.

Im not even in high school and I still go to see live bands just because I have nothing better to do. There is a place around here that has a live band that plays a lot called Goiter Jelly... name's not real appealing, but I have seen them live... because well, it's live music...
    and really they are pretty good... It's not about wether or not you know the music but if you can respect the bands talent
  • personally, I'm a high school student but I think those high school students I know that would go to the shows wouldnt go just because they have nothing to do. I happen to live on a peninsula that has nothing going for it *cough*capecodisboring*cough*... so if I wanted to go see a show I would have to go out of my way to get to Cambridge or Boston or somewhere there was a show. I see it as: if someone likes the band and its out of their way, they arent going to simply go because theres nothing else to do.

To answer someone else's question, I dont think there is a curfew for people if they're just walking around (but there is a driving curfew for junior operators-kids under 18)
    plus.. I dont think im a <b>terribly</b> annoying 16 year old tongue.gif. and just being in high school does, in no way, make you a "teeny bopper" as someone said before. (I dont think teeny boppers would be going to an OKGO concert.. youd have to catch them on their way to Britney Spears or something and rope them >.<)

*steps off her soapbox* hehe, sorry for that little rant there