In this Discussion

OK Go on TV shows, movies commercials etc.

Comments

• Sorry for the double post, forgot I could edit :/

I also remember there was a Fringe/ Bones commercial for the premiere of the last season that had WTF in the background. I love those shows, but what I was really excited for was the music :)

EDIT: I found the link! I hope no one's already posted it.

• Okay, just re-posted the promo on my FB. >giggle<

Should I ask what "root" means? I can help you with art history or comparative theology or something to trade for knowledge.

• The root of a chord is the note upon which the chord is built.
  • So if you think of it on a piano or guitar, you have certain chords that are named for letters on the musical scale.

For example, the TTSP chords are C, F, G, F, if I remember correctly. The C chord is called C because it has the root (C) and the degrees that, in layman's terms, "sound good." In this case, they would be C, E, and G, the root, third, and fifth. That's a generic major chord, because it sounds happy and nice to listen to. 

Same thing with F and G, they are the roots, and the rest of the chord (F, A, C for F, and G, B, D for G) is built off that. 

Also, the second is the second degree, so if the chord is F, the second is G. And the rest of the scale goes on like that.

Wow, there's my music nerd talking. Hope that made sense, Christel's does too, mine's just longer :) I guess playing 6 instruments takes a toll on your sanity.

• I wasn't feeling very much like typing the full explanation, and my music theory-speak is a bit rusty. I figured you'd pick up where I left off. Smile

I like thinking of "happy chords".

• Okay, sooo, let me check my understanding:

A chord is named for the root, the root being the first note of a chord.

Th whole C chord mentioned above has the notes C, E, G – which is the root, the third(?) and the fifth(?)

All that to ask, so Andy is singing the C part of the chord and Damian is singing the E part?

Is that sort of insane, or does it just seem that way to me as a non-music person?

Six instruments? I'm going to apply a quote here that has stuck with me for the humor - Stephen Fry wrote once (something like) Hugh Laurie could play any instrument that you threw at his head.

I hope the boys are getting some serious coin for that promo – and that directly to them rather than to Major Label That Shall Not Be Named. I know that it's not as clear cut as that, but I can hope. =D

• If I could draw it for you here, Amber, I would and then it would make sense. I promise. You have to picture a musical staff (as opposed to a magical staff, which is what I'd always do in grade school music class, and then I'd giggle because the Prof. that Miss Jackson brought in looked a bit like Gandalf from the cartoon LOTR…Embarassed).

Ah, see, I've already confused you more, haven't I? I will stop, and then I'll add that I also hope the guys were well compensated for accompanying Brennan's social faux pas and Walter's food festishes.

• Your understanding of the theory is correct, Amber.  It is not insane, though.  Chords can be inverted any which way with no weirdness.  It might be weird for Andy because it's an inversion they don't sing a lot of, I don't know.  I haven't analysed the music.  Whether it's the root of the chord or the third or the fifth wouldn't affect in my mind which is the melody and which are the harmonies.  The backup is the backup.  I watched Andy's mouth move and Damian's voice came out with the lyrics Andy was mouthing.  Listen to the USBs.  Watch the other TV performances.  You can clearly hear Andy and Tim's voices.  They sing their harmonies.  I do recognize that this song is far too complex to reproduce live, but they've pared down other songs for live performance, so why is this one getting a different treatment?  There's no reason we couldn't have heard Tim and Andy singing the harmonies, if a scaled back version of them, on The Tonight Show, but we heard Damian's harmonies from the CD.

My point is that the performance sounded an awful lot like the album recording - a lot more like the album recording than any other live performance has, and I've personally witnessed more than 30 live performances, including one television taping.  The only reason I can't say for certain is that I haven't seen them play this particular song in person.  It looks like I won't have a point of reference until October, so.

In regards to the promo, income through song licensing (ie, selling the rights to use their songs in commercials, etc.), goes directly to the copyright holder.  The guys wrote the songs, they get the cash.

• Thanks boardies! It's repetitive and redundant to day, but you all rock! Wow, music is really a foreign language to me. I'm glad there are capable and talented people who can do all that and just let me listen in.

I'll let those that know decide on the End Love performance on Leno. =D

WOO re: dollars to the boys! Doggies gonna get their treats! (Dora and Bunny, I mean. I'm not calling the boys dogs.)

• Thanks boardies! It's repetitive and redundant to day, but you all rock! Wow, music is really a foreign language to me. I'm glad there are capable and talented people who can do all that and just let me listen in.

I'll let those that know decide on the End Love performance on Leno. =D

WOO re: dollars to the boys! Doggies gonna get their treats! (Dora and Bunny, I mean. I'm not calling the boys dogs.)

• I was going to keep explaining the whole 'degree' thing, but I think Rose covered it really well :)

And yeah, six instruments. I've been playing violin for ten years and guitar/bass for about 3, and I can play uke and piano and drums well enough to get my covers cranked out. It's fun being a one man band.

• Thanks for trying to explain it.  I'm still lost though.
  • That's okay. Music is really just another language that you have to learn to really get the grasp of. It's like watching a foreign film; you can still enjoy it but you don't really get what's going on ;0

• If this is already posted somewhere, I apologize.

Susan Sarandon thing.

Best @ 2:23, strange dance for no reason.

• Strange dance alone deserves posting! THX for the find!!
  • Soo, new movie.

http://www.rttnews.com/Content/EntertainmentNews.aspx?Section=2&Id=1367236&SM=1

Pearl Jam and Weezer are speaking up in support of a new documentary, Countdown to Zero, which chronicles the global nuclear arms race.

The film follows nuclear arms development through World War II, the Cold War and today. Other bands to speak out on the film's behalf include R.E.M., Nine Inch Nails and OK Go.

Countdown to Zero was produced by Academy Award winner Lawrence Bender (An Inconvenient Truth, Pulp Fiction), and features interviews with prominent world leaders, including Tony Blair, Jimmy Carter and Mikhail Gorbachev.

The film opens July 23 in New York and Washington, DC, and then in 20 other U.S. cities July 30.

• samanferr! said:

If this is already posted somewhere, I apologize.

Susan Sarandon thing.

Best @ 2:23, strange dance for no reason.

Thanks for posting this link, Samanferr.  There is a connection between my family tree and Susan's (back before her ancestor left the UK for the US), so I was doubly interested Smile

• OK SO ME AND MY LIL SIS(8 YEARS OLD) ARE BIG FANS OF OK GO(WHICH IS OBVIOUS WHO WOULDNT BE?) AND ME AND HER WERE BORED SO I TOOK HER TO THE MOVIES TO SEE RAMONA AND BEEZUS AND THE MOVIE WASNT SO GREAT ME AND HER WERE REALLY BORED AND WERE ABOUT TO LEAVE TO GO SEE ECLIPSE WHEN I HEARD A BEAT IN THE BACKROUND THEN IT GOT LOUDER AND ME AND HER LOOKED AT EACH OTHER AND IT WAS "HERE IT GOES AGAIN"!!AND WE GOT UP FROM OUR SEATS AND STARTED DANCING!LOLZ THE LADY BEHIND US TOLD US TO SIT DOWN BUT WE DIDNT!BUT SOME OTHER GIRLS GOT UP WITH US AND STARTED DANCING.WE WERE SCREAMING "DAMIAN IS SOO SEXY!" AND "WOO OK GO ROCKS!" AT THE END OF THE SCENE WE LEFT!LOLZ THAT WAS THE BEST PART OF THE MOVIE!!
  • tiff124 said:OK SO ME AND MY LIL SIS(8 YEARS OLD) ARE BIG FANS OF OK GO(WHICH IS OBVIOUS WHO WOULDNT BE?) AND ME AND HER WERE BORED SO I TOOK HER TO THE MOVIES TO SEE RAMONA AND BEEZUS AND THE MOVIE WASNT SO GREAT ME AND HER WERE REALLY BORED AND WERE ABOUT TO LEAVE TO GO SEE ECLIPSE WHEN I HEARD A BEAT IN THE BACKROUND THEN IT GOT LOUDER AND ME AND HER LOOKED AT EACH OTHER AND IT WAS "HERE IT GOES AGAIN"!!AND WE GOT UP FROM OUR SEATS AND STARTED DANCING!LOLZ THE LADY BEHIND US TOLD US TO SIT DOWN BUT WE DIDNT!BUT SOME OTHER GIRLS GOT UP WITH US AND STARTED DANCING.WE WERE SCREAMING "DAMIAN IS SOO SEXY!" AND "WOO OK GO ROCKS!" AT THE END OF THE SCENE WE LEFT!LOLZ THAT WAS THE BEST PART OF THE MOVIE!!

Hey, I know you're new and I really hate to be the etiquette police, but it's kind of an internet rule that you don't type in all caps. It's a little hard to read and it's considered 'yelling' and kind of rude, even though Caps Lock is cruise control for cool. So please, please don't do it. Thanks. I won't bother you any more.

• Aleatory said:
    tiff124 said:OK SO ME AND MY LIL SIS(8 YEARS OLD) ARE BIG FANS OF OK GO(WHICH IS OBVIOUS WHO WOULDNT BE?) AND ME AND HER WERE BORED SO I TOOK HER TO THE MOVIES TO SEE RAMONA AND BEEZUS AND THE MOVIE WASNT SO GREAT ME AND HER WERE REALLY BORED AND WERE ABOUT TO LEAVE TO GO SEE ECLIPSE WHEN I HEARD A BEAT IN THE BACKROUND THEN IT GOT LOUDER AND ME AND HER LOOKED AT EACH OTHER AND IT WAS "HERE IT GOES AGAIN"!!AND WE GOT UP FROM OUR SEATS AND STARTED DANCING!LOLZ THE LADY BEHIND US TOLD US TO SIT DOWN BUT WE DIDNT!BUT SOME OTHER GIRLS GOT UP WITH US AND STARTED DANCING.WE WERE SCREAMING "DAMIAN IS SOO SEXY!" AND "WOO OK GO ROCKS!" AT THE END OF THE SCENE WE LEFT!LOLZ THAT WAS THE BEST PART OF THE MOVIE!!

Hey, I know you're new and I really hate to be the etiquette police, but it's kind of an internet rule that you don't type in all caps. It's a little hard to read and it's considered 'yelling' and kind of rude, even though Caps Lock is cruise control for cool. So please, please don't do it. Thanks. I won't bother you any more.

sorry lol im used to it i wasnt trying 2 yell lol