In this Discussion

Truth

Comments

• QUOTE (tonetoile @ Aug 17 2006, 08:15 AM)
    Truth: So, hey guys, I think I might be in love.

Crap.

yay im happy for you ^^

truth: i realy feel like drinking some bleach and giving up on love....
  • QUOTE (jedi_grrlie @ Aug 11 2006, 01:17 PM)
    Truth: I love peanut butter, but I refuse to eat Jif, Peter Pan, or other types of processed peanut butter. I only eat the natural kind now. The Jif stuff tastes so sweet and nasty to me now- I can't stomach it. But I can eat a 12 oz. jar of natural peanut butter in a week. I know because I've done it. I just eat it straight of the jar. Honey peanut butter is the best.

I eat the artificial stuff, but I agree that natural peanut butter is way better. We've always had Teddy in my house, which is completely natural, unsalted even.

Ooooooo... especially crunchy Teddy's peanut butter.

truth: I really want my mom to stop acting as though some of my friends have the plague adn are going to ruin my life. I mean, okay, so some of them are dropouts w/ no future, and some of them smoke pot, and get horrible grades, but they're all good people and really good friends and I'm not going to follow suit just because I hang out with them sometimes. I don't think she'd understand, though. So most of the time I just ignore her. But it's really annoying that she can't trust me to spot bad influences and such, and make my own decisions. I wish shed understand that I can be friends with them and not be like them.
  • QUOTE (GirlInTheDark @ Aug 18 2006, 02:21 AM)
    truth: i realy feel like drinking some bleach and giving up on love....

Aww darling. It'll be so much better, I promise. I felt like that about a year and a half ago. All I wanted was to never be in a relationship again and I was completely heartbroken. But, it got better. You're absolutely wonderful, how could it NOT get better?

QUOTE (thephantommilk @ Aug 18 2006, 04:04 AM)
    truth: I really want my mom to stop acting as though some of my friends have the plague adn are going to ruin my life. I mean, okay, so some of them are dropouts w/ no future, and some of them smoke pot, and get horrible grades, but they're all good people and really good friends and I'm not going to follow suit just because I hang out with them sometimes. I don't think she'd understand, though. So most of the time I just ignore her. But it's really annoying that she can't trust me to spot bad influences and such, and make my own decisions. I wish shed understand that I can be friends with them and not be like them.

I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND. My mom does NOT approve of some of my friends. Sure, some smoke pot and we do stupid (but harmless) things. She assumes that, since I hang out with some of them, I'm going to be doing the same thing (in fact, when I used to light insence, you know, FOR THE SMELL, she came barging into my room asking if I was smoking pot). I love her, but sometimes she makes the most ludicrous claims like getting upset after I joked about dropping out of college to become a hobo by saying if I only viewed myself as a hobo, that was all I was going to be. She seems to assume that I'm going to grow up and underachieve because I like to go otu and have fun with my friends rather than locking myself in my room all the time and studying. It's like she thinks that if she's not on y back all the time, I'm never going to achieve anything. It's a complete lack of faith.
  • QUOTE (tonetoile @ Aug 18 2006, 01:42 PM)
    Aww darling. It'll be so much better, I promise. I felt like that about a year and a half ago. All I wanted was to never be in a relationship again and I was completely heartbroken. But, it got better. You're absolutely wonderful, how could it NOT get better?
    I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND. My mom does NOT approve of some of my friends. Sure, some smoke pot and we do stupid (but harmless) things. She assumes that, since I hang out with some of them, I'm going to be doing the same thing (in fact, when I used to light insence, you know, FOR THE SMELL, she came barging into my room asking if I was smoking pot). I love her, but sometimes she makes the most ludicrous claims like getting upset after I joked about dropping out of college to become a hobo by saying if I only viewed myself as a hobo, that was all I was going to be. She seems to assume that I'm going to grow up and underachieve because I like to go otu and have fun with my friends rather than locking myself in my room all the time and studying. It's like she thinks that if she's not on y back all the time, I'm never going to achieve anything. It's a complete lack of faith.

your parents only care about you...be thankfull they care about who you hang round with!
  • QUOTE (Head Full of Crazy @ Aug 18 2006, 04:51 PM)
    your parents only care about you...be thankfull they care about who you hang round with!

That is true. I know they really do only want the best for me, which is why they're hard on me. They want me to succeed and be happy in life., I understand, I just wish it was more postitive.

But thanks Pandy, you're completely right, they do care and I'm so thankful for everything they've done for me. biggrin.gif
  • I understand completely why my mom doesn't really like some of my friends.
    And that's fine, they can go on not liking them because they are only trying to protect me. And I understand that, and it's not like I even bring these people to my house ever. So most of the time it's fine, and we get along knowing that she would be happier if I didn't know them.

What was really annoying me yesterday was that I felt like my mom didn't trust me to make my own decisions about what I do. Like, because some of my friends are total stoners, I'm obviously going to become like them, because I'm not smart/strong-willed/whatever enough to say no and keep my head straight. They all know that I'm straight-edge, and I want to stay that way, and they don't try to get me to do anything I wouldn't like, because they know that A) I'd say no, and B ) I wouldn't be friends with them after a point if it continued.

but, yeah, I do agree with everything else that's been said.
  • QUOTE (thephantommilk @ Aug 18 2006, 06:18 PM)
    I understand completely why my mom doesn't really like some of my friends.
    And that's fine, they can go on not liking them because they are only trying to protect me. And I understand that, and it's not like I even bring these people to my house ever. So most of the time it's fine, and we get along knowing that she would be happier if I didn't know them.

What was really annoying me yesterday was that I felt like my mom didn't trust me to make my own decisions about what I do. Like, because some of my friends are total stoners, I'm obviously going to become like them, because I'm not smart/strong-willed/whatever enough to say no and keep my head straight. They all know that I'm straight-edge, and I want to stay that way, and they don't try to get me to do anything I wouldn't like, because they know that A) I'd say no, and B ) I wouldn't be friends with them after a point if it continued.

but, yeah, I do agree with everything else that's been said.

have you actully told your parents everything you just told us?

if not, then thats what you need to do right?
  • QUOTE (thephantommilk @ Aug 18 2006, 01:18 PM)
    I understand completely why my mom doesn't really like some of my friends.

Not that I'll take his advice in my own situation--I drink too much for my parents to ever be comfortable about it (though shouldn't they be glad I don't do drugs or sleep around? haha)--but Pandy = a genius. You are sXe so have no worries. Your parents should be extremely thankful they got a smart straightedge kid. Good for you for sticking to your principles.
  • If it comes up again, then I will.

I don't think it's that big a deal, it just annoys me sometimes. It doesn't happen that often.
    Yesterday she was just harping on me for a friend being a drop-out w/ no future, and I got fed up when thinking about it afterwards. I didn't even care that much at the time.

But, yes, I will tell her if it happens again. Thank you Andy!
  • by the by im also straight edge...minus the love for hardcore metal/rock

also, CM Punk rules because of this

and no worries for the advice, im always open to chatting bout things to people via pm/msn/myspace etc

i have adivce to give and junk
  • QUOTE (Head Full of Crazy @ Aug 18 2006, 08:35 PM)
    by the by im also straight edge...minus the love for hardcore metal/rock

Are you really? I didn't know that. Hmm.

I respect the whole straight edge thing a bunch. I mean, not for me, but I respect those of you who are.
  • lol i think some people are accidentally straight edge because they cant get any liquor, etc.. lol
  • haha, a lot of people are confused when they find out I'm straight edge. I was at a "con" (a weekend sleepover/thing for UU teenagers) and we were discussing drug use and everyone stared at me like I had two heads when I told them I was straight-edge... it was quite funny.

anyways, yeah... I had to get over the fact that other people did that stuff a while ago, and it wasn't bad for me to hang out with them, as long as I stuck to my guns and didn't let them sway me. If I ever decide to be not-straight-edge, then it'll be through my own choice and not anyone else's influence.

Now that I think about it, though... even if I went to my friends and told 'em I wanted to start that stuff, they'd probably try and stop me, even if they do it themselves. I certainly can't see any of my friends encouraging me.
    ...I guess that's why they're my friends. huh.
  • QUOTE (thephantommilk @ Aug 19 2006, 02:04 PM)
    haha, a lot of people are confused when they find out I'm straight edge. I was at a "con" (a weekend sleepover/thing for UU teenagers) and we were discussing drug use and everyone stared at me like I had two heads when I told them I was straight-edge... it was quite funny.

anyways, yeah... I had to get over the fact that other people did that stuff a while ago, and it wasn't bad for me to hang out with them, as long as I stuck to my guns and didn't let them sway me. If I ever decide to be not-straight-edge, then it'll be through my own choice and not anyone else's influence.

Now that I think about it, though... even if I went to my friends and told 'em I wanted to start that stuff, they'd probably try and stop me, even if they do it themselves. I certainly can't see any of my friends encouraging me.
    ...I guess that's why they're my friends. huh.

Excuse me for being ignorant, but wtf is "straight edge"?
  • Hahaa. Okay, straight edge is basically living a clean life without drugs, drinking and casual sex. Fun fact: the name originated from a song by one of Damian's heroes.
  • QUOTE (mixtape @ Aug 19 2006, 04:21 PM)
    Hahaa. Okay, straight edge is basically living a clean life without drugs, drinking and casual sex. Fun fact: the name originated from a song by one of Damian's heroes.

Oohh. OK, that makes sense, I guess. I've heard random conversations about "straight edge" before so I've never really been certain what on earth it is.
  • I'm straightedge if you ignore the alcoholism...oops.

Nah, I really do respect people who are sXe cause these days it seems like it'd be hard to keep up, especially in college. I was sXe in high school for like a year but it didn't really matter cause I didn't have access to liquor or drugs anyways.
  • I really enjoyed "Snakes On A Plane," especially the music video at the end.
  • I'm mormon and proud.
  • i'm catholic and i got this thing in the mail from my church talking about confirmation classes... and i don't know that i want to be catholic as an adult and i really don't want my parents to get mad. but they have no right to force their religion on me. it should be my decision. they'll probably understand, but it still might be weird... i don't know. not that i've really made up my mind yet, though.... i don't know what to think.