In this Discussion

They've lost the fire symbol on VH1

edited November -1 in OK Go
As agentnumone brought to our attention in the "eleven eleven eleven" thread. GAH!

*Edit: Der, and Katy in the "awesome bigness" thread. Doh.

Anyone know what the beginning & ending dates & times for voting are, as far as what counts? Because that Capitol press release, dated last Friday, Aug. 4, mentioned them being #11 on the countdown .......

Comments

• oh crap, we only have like another 2 hours. Why am I saying this when I could be voting. We need to get our flame back!!
  • QUOTE (sherib @ Aug 11 2006, 10:43 PM)
    Anyone know what the beginning & ending dates & times for voting are, as far as what counts? Because that Capitol press release, dated last Friday, Aug. 4, mentioned them being #11 on the countdown .......

Hmm. That's odd. Well, some guy told me that voting ends every Friday at 11 pm, and it's 11 here now, so I'm done for the night. But, yeah...odd that Capitol released that before the countdown was officially in....

They probably say the voting ends at 11 pm, but honestly, if they air the new show at 3 a.m., they have to have the votes in and tallied before then, especially if they do interviews on the show and stuff.
  • QUOTE (jedi_grrlie @ Aug 11 2006, 10:04 PM)
    They probably say the voting ends at 11 pm, but honestly, if they air the new show at 3 a.m., they have to have the votes in and tallied before then, especially if they do interviews on the show and stuff.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. So I guess that's a good kick-in-the-pants reminder for us to vote early & often, early being the key word. I dropped the ball this week. Before I knew it it was Thursday and I'd hardly voted, I confess. *wails in shame* sad.gif
  • QUOTE (sherib @ Aug 11 2006, 11:12 PM)
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking. So I guess that's a good kick-in-the-pants reminder for us to vote early & often, early being the key word. I dropped the ball this week. Before I knew it it was Thursday and I'd hardly voted, I confess. *wails in shame* sad.gif

Yeah, but I only noticed the thermometer a few hours ago. Any other time I visited this week, it was a flame. And it was at the top of the page, so people could see it. Hopefully that's a good sign.
  • I honestly don't know how anyone can see the video and not vote for it... yet the pussycrap dolls have a flame....

... I confess as well, i didn't vote as much as I should have...
  • I thought it was till midnight..oh well. It stopped just like 2 mins ago for me. Do you think it'll at least make it to 20? I've been a terrible voter.
  • I didn't vote as much either.

Hey, this did prove one thing: as much as we all love the band, we also have lives (which is certainly more than 3333 can say).

You guys are awesome.
  • Next week its on...

OKGARMY WILL RULE!

PUSSYCAT DOLLS WILL DIE!
  • QUOTE (agentnumone @ Aug 12 2006, 03:29 AM)
    Next week its on...

OKGARMY WILL RULE!

PUSSYCAT DOLLS WILL DIE!

HUZZAH
  • QUOTE (agentnumone @ Aug 11 2006, 10:29 PM)
    Next week its on...

OKGARMY WILL RULE!

PUSSYCAT DOLLS WILL DIE!

Indeed we shall!
  • QUOTE (jedi_grrlie @ Aug 11 2006, 10:15 PM)
    Yeah, but I only noticed the thermometer a few hours ago. Any other time I visited this week, it was a flame. And it was at the top of the page, so people could see it. Hopefully that's a good sign.
    Yeah, the times I did go the flame was there. I just wonder if a lot of people fell off of voting this week like I did, loss of momentum, leading to fewer votes overall, resulting in loss of flame.

*Edit: Oh, I see other people said as much while I was writing this. Ha.

So I'm resolving to vote like hell consistently this week, right from the beginning. Yes. mad.gif

You know, it's one of those things. I feel like, "Gah! We can't let them lose out to the likes of Brooke, Paris Hilton, and the Pussycat Dolls!" Not to mention the Dixie Chicks. blink.gif And then I think, "Ah, if they don't hang on in the countdown, it's full of crap 'music' anyway, so it's not like they're losing out to anything people take seriously ..." And then I go back the other way and think, "No! We must make ourselves heard, baby step by baby step ... Take back these countdowns! Get some decent music into the mainstream! I want my MTV! This is not my beautiful house! This is not my beautiful wife!?!"

And then I remember it's not about changing the world. It's about getting OK Go's name out there. And that's enough smile.gif
  • This is why I freaking love Damian's intro to the dance live when he talks about MTV showing videos, and says, "You're probably not old enough to remember." I mean, it's not just that they used to show more videos, show videos more than they do now. They used to only show videos. There were no shows on MTV. Unless it was their New Year's Eve special, which had bands performing, or the MTV Awards, which weren't a freaking catastrophe freak show. You turned on MTV, and there were videos. And a variety of videos. Experimental, interesting stuff. Stuff you'd heard of, stuff you hadn't. And there was a small group of VJs, and they were always on. It was always one of the VJs you knew. And they'd sit there and talk to you about music. They were cool, not annoying. Well, Nina Blackwood was slightly annoying. lol Everything went to hell when Downtown Julie Brown & co. arrived. wacko.gif

And the thing I think people who weren't around for it really don't realize is that MTV was cool.
    It wasn't seen as a joke. When people who remember it in its first years bitch about it not playing videos anymore, it's not just that we sit around pining for videos. We remember what a cool ... I don't know ... entity it was.

*sigh*

MTV's 25th birthday last week got me thinking about all this. Anway. Off soapbox.

*Edit: Yes, it seems like I've veered way off-topic, since it's the VH1 countdown. But I link MTV & VH1 together. They suffer the same sickness.
  • I have to admit that I voted for them a ton last week, but barely voted for them this week.
  • QUOTE (sherib @ Aug 11 2006, 11:52 PM)
    This is why I freaking love Damian's intro to the dance live when he talks about MTV showing videos, and says, "You're probably not old enough to remember." I mean, it's not just that they used to show more videos, show videos more than they do now. They used to only show videos. There were no shows on MTV. Unless it was their New Year's Eve special, which had bands performing, or the MTV Awards, which weren't a freaking catastrophe freak show. You turned on MTV, and there were videos. And a variety of videos. Experimental, interesting stuff. Stuff you'd heard of, stuff you hadn't. And there was a small group of VJs, and they were always on. It was always one of the VJs you knew. And they'd sit there and talk to you about music. They were cool, not annoying. Well, Nina Blackwood was slightly annoying. lol Everything went to hell when Downtown Julie Brown & co. arrived. wacko.gif

And the thing I think people who weren't around for it really don't realize is that MTV was cool.
    It wasn't seen as a joke. When people who remember it in its first years bitch about it not playing videos anymore, it's not just that we sit around pining for videos. We remember what a cool ... I don't know ... entity it was.

*sigh*

MTV's 25th birthday last week got me thinking about all this. Anway. Off soapbox.

*Edit: Yes, it seems like I've veered way off-topic, since it's the VH1 countdown. But I link them together. They suffer the same sickness.

Have you discovered Vh1 Classic? It's not perfect- I'll often turn it on to find a special program or something, but it runs actual blocks of videos pretty regularly, and they're all from the 80's and such. I'm totally obsessed with it.

I have to say, I kind of ignored Dami's MTV intro, but that was because I was too busy snapping a shot of Dandy..... blink.gif
  • QUOTE (jedi_grrlie @ Aug 11 2006, 11:14 PM)
    Have you discovered Vh1 Classic? It's not perfect- I'll often turn it on to find a special program or something, but it runs actual blocks of videos pretty regularly, and they're all from the 80's and such. I'm totally obsessed with it.

I have to say, I kind of ignored Dami's MTV intro, but that was because I was too busy snapping a shot of Dandy..... blink.gif

I have seen it a bit at a friend's house. It was kinda cool. But I don't want to spend any more on cable. I might just give in sometime soon, though ... I could probably have Fuse and MTV2 and all that too if I did. (I don't know what's available for how much and at what level ... I really should look into it and see if it wouldn't be horribly expensive.)

Did you take that Dandy pic??? The one where they're sitting and Andy's arm's around Dan's shoulder? I love that pic!!! The first time I saw it, I was like, "OMG! Awwww!" LOL

I absolutely ADORE the Damian/Andy hug pic, though. Have you seen that one?
  • QUOTE (sherib @ Aug 11 2006, 08:52 PM)
    This is why I freaking love Damian's intro to the dance live when he talks about MTV showing videos, and says, "You're probably not old enough to remember." I mean, it's not just that they used to show more videos, show videos more than they do now. They used to only show videos. There were no shows on MTV. Unless it was their New Year's Eve special, which had bands performing, or the MTV Awards, which weren't a freaking catastrophe freak show. You turned on MTV, and there were videos. And a variety of videos. Experimental, interesting stuff. Stuff you'd heard of, stuff you hadn't. And there was a small group of VJs, and they were always on. It was always one of the VJs you knew. And they'd sit there and talk to you about music. They were cool, not annoying. Well, Nina Blackwood was slightly annoying. lol Everything went to hell when Downtown Julie Brown & co. arrived. wacko.gif

*sigh*

*Edit: Yes, it seems like I've veered way off-topic, since it's the VH1 countdown. But I link MTV & VH1 together. They suffer the same sickness.

Yeah, exactly what you said smile.gif Canada had the same thing too, called MuchMusic, mind you it hasnt gone quite as badly down the toilet as MTV has, its pretty much gone to crap. If it wasnt for MTV or MM for that matter, I wouldnt have found ANY of the bands I loved back in the day, which ultimately led to the bands I love now...... I will stop my 80's child rambling....
  • QUOTE (Falknerd @ Aug 12 2006, 01:27 AM)
    Yeah, exactly what you said smile.gif Canada had the same thing too, called MuchMusic, mind you it hasnt gone quite as badly down the toilet as MTV has, its pretty much gone to crap. If it wasnt for MTV or MM for that matter, I wouldnt have found ANY of the bands I loved back in the day, which ultimately led to the bands I love now...... I will stop my 80's child rambling....

Thanks, Falknerd. Good to meet you. smile.gif And you're not rambling!

So how much of a "fanpeer" (Kikky's awesome term for it) are you? I'm 32 (33 in a couple weeks .... blaaaaagh ... I liked turning 30. 31 wasn't bad. 32 was tolerable. 33 hits me with the reality that the numbers really are gonna keep getting bigger. lol).
  • I'm not even possitive they're gonna make the list. They're just about to go into the top ten.

YAY NUMBER 9!!!

I'm so happy they cracked the top ten..next week NUMBER ONE!
  • WOO HOO!!!

I'm so glad I happened to see this post (I never meant to be up this late), or I would've been heartbroken watching the first half of the countdown later. I thought for sure with the whole flame-going-out thing that they'd dropped at least a little.

ALL RIGHT!!

And it did just what Jorg e was calling for, too! #9. LOL
  • QUOTE (sherib @ Aug 12 2006, 12:24 AM)
    Did you take that Dandy pic??? The one where they're sitting and Andy's arm's around Dan's shoulder? I love that pic!!! The first time I saw it, I was like, "OMG! Awwww!" LOL

I absolutely ADORE the Damian/Andy hug pic, though. Have you seen that one?

Haha, yeah, that was totally me. biggrin.gif Hence why I wasn't paying any attention to Damian- I was far too busy thinking, "TOO....FREAKING....ADORABLE....*PICTURE!*"

I don't know if I've seen the Damian (Damiandy? I'm having too much fun with this...) hug....but man...I'd like to, haha. *dork*

QUOTE (sherib @ Aug 12 2006, 04:28 AM)
    And it did just what Jorg e was calling for, too! #9. LOL

I know! I was like, Yeah! Spot on, Mr. Mr. Mr. Jorge, Whom I Adore, Whom I Adore, Whom I Adore!!!