In this Discussion

How'd You First Get into Ok Go?

Comments

• Man, I wish I could just find the other thread and post what I did there...

Basically I was supposed to go see them Jun03 with my friend Hannah and I knew all of their stuff by then, and I had downloaded their album so yeah. I was a fan before then. Can't remember how or why. Although a girl that was in one of my classes in college had an import of their album and was like 'this band are really good, their album isnt out over here yet, this is illegal' and i was like oh yeah, i know them. And yeah, I dunno. I was really into other bands at the time so I gradually grew to love them to the point I saw them in sept03 and I've been here ever since.
  • A long, long time ago... I can't remember where I saw them. It was on TV I believe. I'm thinking it might have been the MadTV performance forever ago. Not positive. Anyway, after seeing them perform I was like "Oh man, I've got to find out more!" So I discovered their website where for months I watched their music videos because I was too poor to afford their CD and couldn't find it anywhere anyway. Except FYE, where I eventually bought it from.

So yeah, my obsession really began when I saw their music videos and the Ping Pong Instructional Video... I told all of my friends and converted many people into OK Go fans in the past couple years. Good times. Then finally got to see them in concert this year! And... here I am.
  • Back toward the end of 01, early 02, my friend and I were sending each other music we thought we'd like. He sent me Appendices, It's Tough to Have a Crush, and AntMusic, I sent him Harvey Danger. We both liked what we heard. I'm an Adam Ant fan also, so AntMusic was the icing on the cake for me. Then toward the end of that year, their self-titled album came out, and I got it.

Looking back..I have to say, when I first went to OK Go's website...Andy Duncan creeped the hell out of me, lol. There were only a few pictures up and (me being 14-15) I thought they were all amazingly old people. I remember thinking Damian had a reeeeeally long face, which I thought was weird. Tim and Dan didn't stand out at all, and I thought Dan played bass originally(he had that bassist look). There wasn't much of a bio telling who was who in the pictures, but I think I figured out who Damian was. Andy still creeped the hell out of me, he had an evil look to him or something(I blame my being so young!). The online store had an amazing two things in it: pins and stickers! So I kinda tossed it aside thinking I'd visit it when there was more content added. And then it took me many, many years to remember to come back to it. I think the Million Ways dance was what spurred a revival. Ironically enough, I always kept listening to the cd almost every day on the way to school for most of high school..and never made the connection to go back to their site, haha.
  • Hmm, well my friend really liked them, and I liked GOI when it came out. And then I loved You're So Damn Hot. Then about a year ago I went to their concert in Boston and they blew me away! Wow, so much awesomeness! I went to two more of their concerts since, but I didn't join the boards until just recently...sad.
  • Couple of weeks ago a friend sent me a link to some random people doing the Million Ways dance (Not OK Go). She explained the competition to me. I watched a couple of dances out of sheer boredom. I decided I liked the song they were dancing too and so tried to find the original band video.

Found the video and decided to find some more of their music. Downloaded a bunch of songs from Limewire, then googled them. Watched some videos - finally realised the tall skinny monkey boy was actually the lead singer.

That's about it.
  • brother. listned to okgo (the album) and loved it... bitterly.

was so excited when i found out they came out with a second one...
  • My friend Elena orgianlly loved the band. I was stupid and didn't get into them until about a year after she first made me watch the ping pong instructional video. She also wrote me a parody of "What to Do" for my 16th b-day. The end of the chorus went something to the effect of, "could have been a bitch, but you're ever so kind."

It wasn't until I saw the A Million Ways dance on her myspace profile that I was like, "WHOA. That's kind of awesome!" I then spent a week searching new Hampshire (where I was vacationing at the time) trying to find the self-titled CD. Once I got home, I started listening to them and loved them ever since.
  • i got into okgo by mad tv actually ...i was watching it and then okgo came on and did their millon ways dance and i was like omg i love them!!!! wub.gif then i came to there website and found out about them and there songs and i fell in love biggrin.gif wub.gif
  • I saw "Get Over It" on muchmusic or something waaay back in the day and I was instantly hooked.

haha it seems like that was forever ago but it was really only like 4 years ago.
  • In early 2003 I planned on going to some Rooney concerts and I heard a band called OK Go was going to be playing with them. Concerts are more fun if you know all of the music so I decided to buy their cd...and I loved it. The show I went to was actually in the same building as the hotel I stayed at. So we were just hanging around all day. My friend pointed Damian out to me. Their CD didn't really have their pictures so I had no clue what any of them looked like but I knew all of the songs. After the show we ended up talking to Dan for quite a while. It was fun.
  • I discovered them on accident-- when I got wind that a band I was friends with at the time was signing to Capitol, I signed up for
    the label mailing list so I wouldn't miss the announcement. So I was scouring every newsletter, and the artwork for Ok Go's cd caught my eye. So I clicked the links to the mp3's and was like "Where has this band been all my life?" ...I bought the CD, came to the site... I loved their lyrics, their cleverly written bio... ok I'm rambling now, I think my story ended like a sentence ago.

cool.gif
  • i saw them on mad tv years ago for their first cd, and immediately went out the next day and got the cd.
  • I didn't realize madTV is that popular. I think there are more people on this board that watch madtv than people i know in real life who watch madtv.
  • I saw their video for a million ways on music.yahoo.com, and thought, "Who are these crazy guys?" But I kinda liked the song, so I listened to more of them and I really liked it.
  • I was at Starbucks with my friend, and we were about to listen to music on those.. music-listen-y thingies, so I went to the screen, and someone had searched for OK Go, and it was on their little album page, so I was like, "Okay, whatever, I guess I'll listen to them", and I loved them, so I went on iTunes the next day and bought their album. ^^
  • Aww that's actually really cool. DESTINY!
  • June 28, 2002: Unbeknownst to me, the following blurb appears in the special Summerfest entertainment section of our local (Milwaukee, Wisconsin) paper:
    Stay all day

At some stages, the lineups are so good you won't want to leave.

OK Go, Guided By Voices and The Promise Ring: Rub shoulders with hipsters, poseurs and genuine aficionados of great pop as three of the best in Midwest indie rock, well, rock out. All the cool kids will be there.
    June 29, 2002: My daughter and 3 of her friends work furiously to complete t-shirts (black with colorful felt letters spelling out "OK Go") they want to wear to a concert tomorrow. "How sad," I think, "All that work and those felt letters won't make it through 1 cycle in the wash."

June 30, 2002: Said daughter and friends ask if I will give them a ride to Summerfest to see OK Go. I say OK sure. When they return home, they report they arrived at the stage an hour before showtime and ended up being in the very front row. They are still bubbling.

July 1, 2002-August 22, 2006: I'm vaguely aware of occasionally hearing "Get Over It" and "It's Tough to Have a Crush" when my daughter plays tunes on the iMac.

August 23, 2006: Damian Kulash appears on The Colbert Report. He and the video clips of HIGA and A Million Ways are crUmBeliVEablE. I decide then and there I WILL buy that cow.

November 28, 2006: My daughter and I will attend the OK Go show at The Rave. Front row seats this time around? Highly unlikely. Black t-shirts with colorful felt letters? Optional...
  • That sounds like the best Hallmark commercial ever.
  • QUOTE (unicornsplzzz @ Sep 3 2006, 02:48 PM)
    I'm sure there is a thread like this already, but I searched and couldn't find it. I just like hearing everyone's stories about how they first heard about them or when they first decided they liked them.
    I honestly can't remember if there was a thread like this on this board, but I'm pretty sure there was on the old board...

Sept. 5, 2002, I went to see Phantom Planet in Detroit and was blown away by the supporting act OK Go. (I remember the date, cuz it was my friend's b-day.) And maybe a week or so later, I discovered the OK Go messageboard on the Capitol Records Forums. But I think I may have first heard "Get Over It" at a Weezer concert in the summer of '02. Heh, I didn't like it then and it's still one of my least fave okgo songs.
  • I was reading on forums, found a link to the million ways video clip, which had literally been released that day, yeah, after doing some searches for who this ok go band were I arrived and joined the boards, becoming middle school, lol, yeah. I then proceeded to buy the first album off of amazon seeing as they don't sell ok go cds over here, and then the day that the second album came out i ordered that too biggrin.gif Yay!