In this Discussion

Huh?

edited November -1 in OK Go
"Which other rubes are ridin' hot shot, suga?"

What does that even mean?

I figured "rubes" meant something like "rubies" which would mean something like "valuble people"... or something. Comparing people to precious stones, you know? I looked up "rubes" on UrbanDictionary and here's what it said:

"Red Pubic Hair

'Man u have gnarly rubes'"

huh.gif

Comments

• rube
    One entry found for rube.
    Main Entry: rube
    Pronunciation: 'rüb
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Rube, nickname for Reuben
    1 : an awkward unsophisticated person : RUSTIC
    2 : a naive or inexperienced person

That's from Webster.com
    I think he's just asking her who she's dating or hanging out with.
  • Rubes = unsophisticated people, losers, etc.
  • Like, "Which other dopes are you pulling this with?" "Which other dolts think they're your only one?"
  • 'Rube' used to be a fairly commonly used term for an unsophisticated country person who'd just arrived in the city, and could easily be taken advantage of or conned.
  • Good question, good answers. smile.gif
  • hahaha, now I feel really dumb...I always thought he was saying "rooms."

The other day, I was blasting Ok Go and my mom is shocked when I say they're American. She thought they were Swedish because of the way Damian plays with the words- she thought it was an accent or something. And I was like, "MOM, THAT'S ROCK-TALK!"
    However, all I could think was Damian going "duble bas kager!"
  • WOW. Rubes. I thought it was tubes.

I love this forum smile.gif
  • I had to look most of the complicated words in the dictionary when I translated their albuns to portuguese. The most complicated part was when i've translated the expression "the fix is in". But it was really good because now I remember all the lyrics when I'm singing biggrin.gif
  • QUOTE (m_I_a @ Jan 31 2007, 12:18 AM)
    I had to look most of the complicated words in the dictionary when I translated their albuns to portuguese. The most complicated part was when i've translated the expression "the fix is in". But it was really good because now I remember all the lyrics when I'm singing biggrin.gif

What is "the fix is in" about. I really like the song, but don't really know what the heck that song is about. And while I'm on the subject, anyone care to explain to this poor soul what "let it rain" is about? mellow.gif
    What is "the fix is in" about.

'The fix is in' means dishonestly influencing an event, typically a sporting event with betting like a boxing match, so that the outcome is guaranteed. 'The fight's been fixed.' I'm not certain how this song pertains to that expression, but he could be implying that their course through life has been 'fixed' by forces beyond their control.
  • Rubes, to date, is the only word from an OK Go song that I had to look up in a dictionary. (I had to do a bit of research on Surfer Rosa, too, but that's not the dictionary.)

You know you're an OK Go fan when.......wink.gif
  • Why do people always have to analyze the "meaning" of every song? Why can't they just listen to the song and appreciate the feeling it gives them?

... Jeez. That came out more preachy than I intended. Sorry guys.
    Why do people always have to analyze the "meaning" of every song? Why can't they just listen to the song and appreciate the feeling it gives them?

Fair enough. But for some of us, understanding the meaning of the lyrics heightens our enjoyment of the song. Sometimes, a lot. For example, the other day I was driving home from work, and actually started sobbing a bit in the car while listening to 'Return'. That would never have happened before I learned the tragic story behind those lyrics.
  • QUOTE (starshaped @ Feb 3 2007, 12:24 PM)
    Why do people always have to analyze the "meaning" of every song? Why can't they just listen to the song and appreciate the feeling it gives them?

Well the only reason I wanted to know the meaning of those songs is because my cousin asked me yesterday what the song "the fix is in" was about. She really likes the song but wanted to understand it. I somewhat agree with you though.People should just listen to a song and give their own interpretation of it. But there are times when you want to have an idea of what the song is about so you can appreciate it even more.
  • Well, I used to wonder about that, about over-analysis, but a literature professor once said that you can never over-analyze art. Really good art, being rich with meaning and deep in expression can never be thought about enough- you think about it until you've reached the farthest you can go, and then you think about it more. Brilliant art is complex and even if unconsciously, there is so much the creators pack into it that you can never stop thinking about what that work of art means.
    well, that was such an insane statement- I'll shut up now, sorry.
  • QUOTE (ytel82 @ Feb 3 2007, 09:52 PM)
    People should just listen to a song and give their own interpretation of it. But there are times when you want to have an idea of what the song is about so you can appreciate it even more.

Exactly. The beautiful thing about music is that no matter what the song is or what it's about, everyone reacts to it differently, everyone takes it in differently, everyone interprets it differently because we've all be through different life experiences. You take that and you internalise that and you make it your own, even if there's only a single line in the song that to which you relate.

Let's take "Return" as the (sort of tired) example. This song became extremely important to me during my senior year, when I went through a massive break up and lost both of my best friends. Does "Return" have ANYTHING to do with what was going on in my life? No, not at all, but I related to the feeling of loss and took it in as my own. So my own interpretation/feelings re: "Return" make it special in my life in my own way.

That said, I didn't really learn the whole story behind the song until....last year? 2005? Don't remember. Regardless, knowing what the song was really written about made me appreciated it on a whole new level. They're separate interpreations/feelings/impressions, but they're both valid.

Same thing with "Bye Bye Baby." For me, it epitomised what I felt like at the end of my senior year. It's actually about a cat running away. And they complement each other.

Sorry, didn't want to go all ranty/preachy there, haha.
  • QUOTE (starshaped @ Feb 3 2007, 02:24 PM)

Yes, and sometimes some songs are just written. There's really no meaning intended to them. People simply imagine meaning that wasn't meant by the artist. Some coincidences in wording are like placeboes for feelings. I mean, every song has meaning, but sometimes a song intended as meaningless develops meaning by coincidence. (This whole paragraph here is talking about some songs that aren't intended to mean anything.)

But usually songs are intended to mean somethig.
  • i like to know the meaning when there is one. and where there isnt really a big meaning i like to at least understand the song
  • Oooh, I've started a discussion! *claps hands* laugh.gif

Heh. Yeah. You're all making really good points. I can get how understanding what they're singing about can make you appreciate it more I guess. But, I don't know. I'm not so much a lyrics kind of gal. I mean, don't get me wrong, there are definately a lot of songs that the lyrics really get to me. But mostly, it's more about the notes and not the words. You know. If there's a bass line that just gives me an uncontrollable urge to get up and dance (cough cough Feel Good Inc cough), or there's a chord progression that makes me want to sob into my pillow (A Day is Far Too Long by Graham Coxon... take notes people), those are the songs that I really love and appreciate and those are the musicians that I love.

I love music. wub.gif
  • I won't admit it, but I love music too. I just hate it when people say "Music is my life" (sorry to some of you people).