In this Discussion

Huh?

Comments

• QUOTE (Courtneytastic @ Feb 3 2007, 10:41 PM)
    I won't admit it, but I love music too. I just hate it when people say "Music is my life" (sorry to some of you people).

what do you mean?
  • I kinda like it when artists say music is thier life. It makes them seem like they give it thier all. to some people music is thier life .... they can't help it if they want to state the facts.

music is not my life.

but its a big part of it I guess.
  • QUOTE (agentnumone @ Feb 3 2007, 10:51 PM)
    I kinda like it when artists say music is thier life. It makes them seem like they give it thier all. to some people music is thier life .... they can't help it if they want to state the facts.

music is not my life.

but its a big part of it I guess.

i think i agree.
  • QUOTE (Courtneytastic @ Feb 4 2007, 03:41 AM)
    I just hate it when people say "Music is my life" (sorry to some of you people).

isn't that that womans e-mail thingy in that aol commerical about the "new aol". right??? am i right??? idk
    something about her name @musicismylife.com?!?!?
    OMG
  • QUOTE (Vinca15 @ Feb 3 2007, 11:11 PM)
    isn't that that womans e-mail thingy in that aol commerical about the "new aol". right??? am i right??? idk
    OMG

i think so!!! haha
  • QUOTE (Vinca15 @ Feb 3 2007, 11:11 PM)
    OMG

HAHAHAH I totally saw that too!

lol that made me giggle
  • QUOTE (nostabenitsirhc @ Feb 4 2007, 04:12 AM)
    i think so!!! haha

QUOTE (agentnumone @ Feb 4 2007, 04:13 AM)
    HAHAHAH I totally saw that too!

lol that made me giggle

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
    HAHAHA! awesome! im not crazy and making things up.
    (note: idk y i feel the need to put "hahaha" after i already put the lol smiley)
  • I agree agentnumone... I like it sometimes when artists say that their music is their life. It's inspiring. smile.gif

But when kids who listen to music like Fergie and that sort say that... then it just kind of is weird. Fergie, I don't like so much, but whatever floats your boat, eh? But her music seems to have little to no thought or emotion put into it whatsoever other than "me so horny lols". Then again, it might just be me...?

I don't think I would say that music is my life, but it definitely is a huge part of it. I don't know what I'd do if I didn't know how to play the piano. I wouldn't be me. I can't explain it. I guess it's one of those things that you have to experience to understand. unsure.gif

By the way, thanks to those who answered. tongue.gif I have been enlightened.
  • i dont care for fergie. and other stuff like her. the songs just seem to be about stupid stuff. and idk.
    i love when musicians are really into what they do
    i think its ok for people to say music is their life. if thats how they feel then great. idk. im not sure what id say for me. i mean i listen to ok go A LOT and i think about it all the time, and i may have said that its my life...but is it? idk. i really like it. i cant play it. idk.
  • QUOTE (nostabenitsirhc @ Feb 4 2007, 04:51 AM)
    i dont care for fergie. and other stuff like her. the songs just seem to be about stupid stuff. and idk.
    i love when musicians are really into what they do
    i think its ok for people to say music is their life. if thats how they feel then great. idk. im not sure what id say for me. i mean i listen to ok go A LOT and i think about it all the time, and i may have said that its my life...but is it? idk. i really like it. i cant play it. idk.

good points.
    sure, i get u. i kind of agree. idk
  • QUOTE (Vinca15 @ Feb 3 2007, 11:56 PM)
    good points.
    sure, i get u. i kind of agree. idk

• i just read through this thread and here are my two cents (excuse the lame cliche)

fergie - someone please tell my why shes so obessed with spelling things! haha

the fix is in - thanks i was wondering what that was about too

analyzation/interpretation of songs - im really bad at english and stuff so often i dont really "get" what a song is about (like the fix is in) and then i dont really appreciate it and then i feel bad.. i think in general i appreciate songs that i can relate to or address something where i can understand where they're coming from.. but of course random songs are great too (hello my treacherous friends for instance.. though i recently learned through these boards what it was really about and i thought it was hilarious)

music is my life - yeah that can be pretty wierd to say unless you are a musician.. for all of us boardies it is definately a large part of our lives or else we wouldn't be here but its not our life.. and good job claret for knowing how to play the piano.. im a retard and have had a guitar for about 3 or 4 years and i cant play.. someone recently taught me chords and i try to practice but geoodd its so hard..

okay i think thats everything you guys discussed! cool.gif
  • I think music is the background to your life.
  • QUOTE (amberdino @ Feb 4 2007, 03:02 AM)
    music is my life - yeah that can be pretty wierd to say unless you are a musician.. for all of us boardies it is definately a large part of our lives or else we wouldn't be here but its not our life.. and good job claret for knowing how to play the piano.. im a retard and have had a guitar for about 3 or 4 years and i cant play.. someone recently taught me chords and i try to practice but geoodd its so hard..
    Ahaha, I've had a guitar for 5 years or so but I never bothered to pay any attention to it until a month or so ago. Yeah, it's hard... especially at first... but it gets easier and a lot more fun once you get down the basic fingerings and the "correct" way to hold a pick. (I still can't hold a pick properly... it works better if I just do it my way. Or use my nails. tongue.gif)

Music is the background to my life, but it's so much more than that... it's... well, it's like the jam to my peanut butter; my life would not be a delicious simile without my music. (I'm going to stop talking before I say anything else retarded unsure.gif)
  • Haha, it's hard to explain, isn't it?
  • Yeah, it really is. I look like a total dork now. biggrin.gif Oops.
  • We're all dorks here. We're family. Har har har.

Hmmm. I guess no one really agrees with me about it. I mean, you guys all seem to be talking about music with lyrics. I mean, if you listen to a piece of music with no words, it doesn't matter what language you speak. You don't need to understand it. You can just listen.

I don't know. For me, sometimes I don't even listen to the lyrics really. Me listening to rap music is so funny; I won't be listening to what the guy is saying until he says a bad word or something really dirty, and then I'm like "whooaaa wait back up, I missed that." Ha ha.
  • I agree with you about this. You don't have to understand lyrics to appreciate the song, but sometimes knowing what they mean can make you appreciate the song more... I'm kind of all over the place with my opinion on this but I hope I make atleast a little sense huh.gif

I don't mind SOME rap. That one song by Chamillionaire (they see me rooolliiin...they hatiiin) is beyond hilarious laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif I don't understand 99% of what he says but it's entertaining anyways.
  • QUOTE (Claret @ Feb 4 2007, 02:59 PM)
    I agree with you about this. You don't have to understand lyrics to appreciate the song, but sometimes knowing what they mean can make you appreciate the song more... I'm kind of all over the place with my opinion on this but I hope I make atleast a little sense huh.gif

yea i agree. and i think you make sense.
  • QUOTE (Tabetha @ Feb 3 2007, 09:04 PM)
    Well, I used to wonder about that, about over-analysis, but a literature professor once said that you can never over-analyze art. Really good art, being rich with meaning and deep in expression can never be thought about enough- you think about it until you've reached the farthest you can go, and then you think about it more. Brilliant art is complex and even if unconsciously, there is so much the creators pack into it that you can never stop thinking about what that work of art means.
    well, that was such an insane statement- I'll shut up now, sorry.

(Note: I know very, very little about art. The most knowledge I have is multiple, multiple, trips to museums and a boyfriend who took a lot of art history courses. That's about it.)

I was actually talking to my boyfriend about the interpretation of art recently. He's an artist and we were discussing a recent selling of some of his work at a local art gallery during a benefit sale (it was a grouping of all these artists work, both famous and non-famous, though the names were not displayed. Everything was priced the same so no one knew what artist they were buying. It was rather ingenious actually). Anyway, he found out about one woman who bought one of his pieces. She said she bought it because every time she looked at it, it reminded her of sex. Now, this wasn't his intent at all. Still, that's what she saw.

We talked about how one can be an incredible and brilliant artist, but if the piece makes no connection with the observer, it is essentially worthless. Now, this mostly applies to contemporary art; for more traditional pieces, such as impressionist works, the painting/sculpture/etc. usually depicts something very interpretable: a landscape, two girls at a piano, lily pads and a bridge. They are aesthetically pleasing and show a mastery of the medium used, making them easier to sell (I'm not discounting their work at all. The ones that sell are the ones that show a mastery of the work. No one will want a half-assed or badly done classical piece. The remembered classical artists are some of the most adept of their medium.) People do not need to emotionally connect with the piece as much as what is being observed by the artist is what is being observed by the patron.

However, for more abstract pieces, there needs to be a connection. This is why contemporary art is so hard for people to grasp. Many people really dislike contemporary art because they are used to seeing the work of masters and not needing to find this connection. My Mom, for example, has always said that she doesn't really enjoy contemporary art because she views art as something she "can't do" herself.

She doesn't take into account the work that goes into trying to establish a connection, which is why contemporary art can be so difficult. For example, I don't understand or connect with the artist (whose name escapes me right now) who simply painted an entire canvas black. I just didn't understand it. However, the work of Pascal Grandmaison, in my opinion, is fantastic.
    When I saw his work at the Montreal Contemporary Art Museum, I was blown away. Ken, on the other hand, really didn't care too much for it, but I couldn't stop standing there with my mouth open.

Marcel Duchamp, the Dada/Surrealist artist, states this all very well: "The creative act is not performed by the artist alone; the spectator brings the work in contact with the external world by deciphering and interpreting its inner qualifications and thus adds his contribution to the creative act."
    This all talks about art in the fine art sense, but the same goes for music. What makes a good piece of work?

Some people want to know, in the way of people with classical artists, what exactly does the song MEAN. By connecting the song to what exactly the artist was thinking, one can gain value from the song. They look at the piece as a finished whole which then may be interpreted as the artist intended.
    On the other hand, others will connect to the song on a more personal level, not necessarily in the way the artist intended. In this way, the listener is looking at it in the same way one may look at contemporary art, as the other half to the equation. The musical artist completed most of the work, but that little bit of connection on the part of the observer is what finished the piece. They finish the puzzle.

Neither one nor the other is "better" in any way. They're just two different ways to observe the same thing.

This made little sense and went on way too long. I just find all of this beyond interesting.