In this Discussion

the first time you heard OK Go.

edited November -1 in OK Go
it was long long ago. my friend saw Get Over It on MTV and made me listen to some of their tracks.

i remember how i first heard Cinnamon Lips.

i was like "what the f*** is that? is this record ruined?" you know the synth sounds in the begining.

but like right the second when Tim (i don't know exactly, but i'm sure it's Tim, not Damian?) started singing i was like "omfg this is genius!"

i don't know what year that was, i guess maybe 2002, but from that time they had ALWAYS been my favorite band.

Comments

• i guess im a 2nd school fan. I saw the video for A million ways on canadas music station. It was the first and only time they ever played that video, so i went in search of ok go on the world wide web and then some how found my self here.

im glad i did.

C-C-C- Cinnomon lips was my absolute favourite ok go song from the first time i heard it. And i continue to ask my self, Why isnt there any more songs with major tim rockage?

the world will never know.
  • The first time I've ever heard ok go's music was when I saw get over it. I really loved the song and the lead singer (eheh) but I just forgot about the band.
    Then, so much time latter, I was at a pizza restaurant with a friend of mine and HIGA was on TV. Immediate love...
  • I'm embarressed to say, but- I'm one of those fans who discovered them by HIGA on youtube. They put up the video on July 31, 2006, and I saw them on August 1, 2006. I saw them because I was looking at the Featured Videos list, and there they were. And at first, I didn't realize it was a music video. I thought it was some guys who were dancing on treadmills to somebody else's song. And I looooved the song. And I thought these guys dancing were so cool. I watched that vid over and over and showed it to all my sisters (I have 3 sisters. one is a huge Ok Go fan like me, the other is a temperate fan and my older sister is just annoyed with how loud I blast Ok Go) and sent the link to all my friends.

And I was like, "I must find out what this song is!" And I feel like a total idiot, but it took me like a whole week or something to realize that the awesome guys on the treadmill were in fact the awesome musicians.

The first site I went to was okgo.net and then I just kept googling and when I hit Damian's anti-Bush write-up, well, I was officially addicted to Ok Go.
  • I only found out about them a while ago with the HIGA video. The most amazing to me is that the way it happened was almost the same way with my other favorite band, better Than Ezra, I was completly bored in front of the TV zapping through the channels trying to find something to watch, when I catch this video, and was like WOW. The difference is that with BTE I was listening to the TV and not paying attention, and that voice got me, now with OK Go I was paying attention to the TV but no volume on, so I just sitted there staring at the tv with no sound thinking this is awesome, look at these guys... so I saw it a couple of times, again withou sound, so when I finally heard it, I was hooked, thta probably has to do with this thing I have for singing voices biggrin.gif
  • I heard 'Get Over It' back when it was new, and thought "huh, this is pretty damn cool", and listened to it to death and then some. But, IDKY, I just didn't look into them further.
    Then my mate linked me to 'Million Ways' vid and I was like hey, they're the guys that did that song I love! So I downloaded some of their stuff but wasn't really classed as an obsessee until August when I found out they were supporting Motion City Soundtrack. Then I listened to them a lot more and now they're my second favourite band! happy.gif
  • I heard Get Over It on this one station that only played music, no videos or anything like that and I think it was either mid to late 2003, not too late, probably only to October as I was composing my extensively long Christmas list of CD's I wanted. I put OK Go on the list, and at the time they were just a "would like to have, but wouldn't be extremely upset if I didn't get" name on the list.

A few nights later I saw the video on Vh1 at like two o'clock in the morning and that's when I went to highlight it with, I can't remember what my color coding was, but for stories sake we'll say yellow which meant, "I don't care what else you get, this better be under the tree when I open presents". And it was! For a few months after I didn't stop listening to it, especially loving What To Do and 1000 Miles per hour. The numbers "4" and "5" are faded on my CD player remote.

I got sort of a general uninterest in music for quite a while, I don't know why, I guess I was in a transition phase from really crappy music (with an exception of a few, i.e. OK Go) to good music and the time was just awkward. When I moved to Temecula I started to listen to OK Go again, on and off. I listened to music when I slept, mostly and after a few sleepless nights of OK Go in my CD player I decided they weren't the best of bands to try to fall asleep to. Too catchy and fun!

Then CD USA happened, I never really liked the show, it was full of crappy bands for the most part, and the hosts were cheesy as hell! But one day, fate stepped in! I turned on CD USA and watched it. OK Go was on it, and they played Oh Lately It's So Quiet. I became obsessed with that song! Beyond obsessed. I played it so much, Angela even got upset. (Although it did eventually lead to her obsession). I obsessively searched for Oh No in WalMart and couldn't find it for months. Eventually I found it, and listened to it SO MUCH!

Then, once Angela started getting hooked I insisted we go to a show, that's when the Pomona show happened. We both have been straight up crazy obsessed since.

Well, that was longer than I thought it was going to be!
  • It was a weird sort of coincedence. I was on this website thingy a while ago, and everyone had a profile that they could fiddle with and have a multimedia thing... and I was profile surfing over the March break last year or something. Within the same day I saw the Get Over It video and the A Million Ways dance and loved them both. I didn't realize at first that it was the same people... I went to download the songs and it didn't click in my head that they were the same group until I saw the song titles next to each other with the same artist listed. laugh.gif I thought I'd made some mistake and searched for two different things at once and lucked out, getting what I was looking for in one try... It was crazy.

Then I saw the ping pong instructional video when I got curious and that only made things worse. (Not breathing can cause you to die.)

I've been ridiculously infatuated with this band ever since. wub.gif
  • I saw the video for Get Over It when it first came out. I liked it but didn't think it was anything special so I forgot about them. Then last Feb when they were touring the US with Motion City Soundtrack I went to see MCS and saw OK Go open. I remembered I knew who the band was, especially when they did the dance at the end for A Million Ways, and I really liked them so I bought Oh No and eventually the first album.
    smile.gif
  • http://okgo.forumsunlimited.com/index.php?showtopic=1922

Here's three pages of replies from back in September, when someone else asked the same thing. Then I think there's yet another thread in the general section as well, if you try the search.
  • My friend sent me A Million Ways. I double clicked the icon in my download folder.

The rest, as they say, is history.
  • First off I just want to say Im new to the board (I finally got an account after years of just reading it) and Im very excited to make my first post.

Now that I got that out of the way... The first time I heard OK Go was about 4 years ago when I was watching videos on yahoo music and Get Over It came on after a video I was watching. I really like the song and the video and so I got the CD, but at that time I didnt fall in love with them I just thought their music was good.

But the first time I fell in love with their music was 3 years ago when my boyfriend and I broke up and I listened to 1000 Miles Per Hour over and over for a week straight. After that I fell in love with their music and have been a huge fan ever since.
  • i love reading these...
  • When I first saw the HIGA video, I didn't realize I was supposed to be paying attention to the music. I thought they were some dance troupe and was so blown away that the music went right past me.

I went Googling for OK Go to find out more and found Damian's "Bands Fire Bush," which made me predisposed to like them, no matter what. I also downloaded Damian's articles for the Japanese magazine (but I didn't read them right away)...

...then, my next Google hit, music-wise, was the Ping Pong Instructional Video. On first viewing, I continued to think they were some zany theater/dance group (brilliant & funny) and then I watched it a few more times (during this time I'm also finding other videos that were more confirming of the theater/dance troupe theory than them being a rock band). It was while watching the PPIV video where it percolated into my brain they were a music group of some sort: 'Ah yes, THIS video is promoting an ALBUM and the music that goes with it is THEIR music.'

As you know, Damian rewrote the music to PPIV to be as obnoxious as possible, so my reaction to realizing this was their music was, "Oh dear god, no! This is too *twee*, I'm never going to be able to stand it." Luckily, I had the download of Damian's articles for the Japanese magazine where he explains how he was TRYING for that totally nauseating effect. So I went back to looking for some *real* OK Go music.

Now I knew what I was looking for. The next music-clip I uncovered was the audience-video-clip on youtube called Mallwalkers-something-something where they perform Lately It's So Quiet. I've been hooked ever since.

In retrospect, it's almost too bad (for me) that HIGA is so tied in with the visual of the treadmills, because once I LISTENED to it (instead of watching), I realized that song has such a fat sound, it totally rocks on its own power.
  • My mum came home from work and was like "omigosh Tim (a guy she works with) showed me this hilarious video" and she showed me the HIGA one. So yeah. I feel quite bad that that's how I found them to begin with... not old school at all... but oh well. Then I went on my obligatory research-spree-of-bands-I-like and had to find out everything I could. Still trying to achieve that ^.^
  • QUOTE (Renata N. @ Feb 13 2007, 07:00 PM)
    I only found out about them a while ago with the HIGA video. The most amazing to me is that the way it happened was almost the same way with my other favorite band, better Than Ezra, I was completly bored in front of the TV zapping through the channels trying to find something to watch, when I catch this video, and was like WOW. The difference is that with BTE I was listening to the TV and not paying attention, and that voice got me, now with OK Go I was paying attention to the TV but no volume on, so I just sitted there staring at the tv with no sound thinking this is awesome, look at these guys... so I saw it a couple of times, again withou sound, so when I finally heard it, I was hooked, thta probably has to do with this thing I have for singing voices biggrin.gif

Olá Renata, bem vinda a este forum!Espero que te divirtas imenso por aqui!Eu sou a Mia e sou portuguesa. Se precisares de alguma coisa nao hesites wink.gif
    (just sying hi and welcome ate the foruns)
  • I saw the Get Over It video on Much Music when it first came out and I've listened to the guys ever since.
  • Colbert Report (I love that show) when Stephen interviewed Damian. They showed a bit of the AMW video. I thought the guitar line was sexy.
  • Saw the treadmill video and marveled at how innovative it was. Found the AMW dance and thought that was pretty wild too. Then found the Letterman performance of HIGA (one of their very best recorded live performances, imho), and discovered that what you assume from the videos is all wrong, in more ways than one. And then I found that I liked a lot more of their music!

That's the key step, though - seeing them perform as a band.
  • I was at a friend's house watching a music channel and Fall Out Boy were talking about their ten fave songs. They included Get Over It, saying that OK Go had hated them when they were touring together, which instantly made me take notice, and then I fell in love with both the song and Damian, who reminded me of Alex from A Clockwork Orange, whom I also love.

From then it was a random panic with me shouting "get a pen and paper! write down their name! i need this song!!!"

And then i bought both albums the next day. Oh yeah smile.gif
  • opening for They Might Be Giants, October 24, 2001.
    I fell in love with the Les Mis skit.

smile.gif
    (anyone remember me?)