In this Discussion

the first time you heard OK Go.

13»

Comments

• The first time I heard OK Go was while playing the Madden Football 2004 (or whatever it's called, it's my brother's) video game. I really loved Get Over It, but I never like looked into the band who sang it or anything, probably because I wasn't into the internet or music much at all at that point. Then last year when I jumped on the OK Go bandwagon (I don't really remember how I heard about them again, but I know it wasn't HIGA) I heard GOI again and I was "woahhh...how do I already know the words to this song??" and I showed the video to my brother (I was really smitten with Damian) and he knew the words too, which really confused me. But then he told me it was on that football game, and then I made the connection.
  • I thought: Wow. A mainstream band I actually like.
  • The first time I heard of OK Go was when my friends were listening to C-C-C-Cinnamon lips and they were singing and the lyrics were just really weird, I was like, what is thiss?? (I listened to Your So Damn Hot before that but never knew that it was OK Go who sang it) But then my friend asked if i wanted to see OK Go in concert and I was like, I think I've heard of them before, sure. And then I fell in love with them. biggrin.gif
  • i saw one of their music videos and i was like O M G THEY TOTALLY FRICKIN ROCK!!! and i was addicted. biggrin.gif
    wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif
  • I've been wanting to read this thread for some time. Thanks for sharing, everybody. Here's my story:

I first heard of OK Go on August 30, 2005, when Robert Siegel interviewed Trish and Damian on NPR about the “Million Ways” video. I love brother-sister things, and this became one of those NPR stories where I sat in the car, in the garage, to hear the end of it. I liked the snippets of the song that they played on the air, and when Siegel said, “It looks like four guys from the Genius Bar at the Apple Store filling in for the Laker Girls,” I thought, I have to see this video! I didn’t have Internet at the time, so it was a couple months later, in a bar, that I saw it. What a total delight. I bought the song on iTunes, and that was it for a while.

A few months later, when we needed a good indie-rock band to round out the lineup for our first major event at the place where I work, I thought of OK Go. I knew they had one good song, but did they have enough to sustain a whole show? I did some research, listened to more singles, and read up on them. This led me to the treadmill video, which I think had just come out. I’ve seen it now dozens of times, and I still laugh out loud. I found the ping pong instructional video, all the other videos and songs, the Federal Truth in Music Project, interviews, some of Damian’s writing, YouTube fan correspondent videos, Damian going to Brown, Damian’s voice and eyes and hands…and I was well hooked. I remember I was so happy when I bought Oh No and got to take it home with me. I liked the first record just as much when I bought it a week or so later.

So we booked them to play here, and I met them, and then I was REALLY hooked.

I like every song OK Go has done, including the Appendices and other early stuff. I can't say that about any other band. If I didn't love this music, none of this would have happened.
  • they performed on madtv several years ago had to have been '02 maybe '03... they performed 'get over it' and i had known that song before, but didn't know much about the band, but on the show i finally was able to place faces with the voices and i fell in love.

the rest is history
  • The first time I heard OK Go was when I saw their music video on tv. I actually didn't think much of it.. yeah I know I must have been crazy, lol. But then I eventually developed OK Go mania without realizing it. I saw them on the mtv awards and i freaked out when i heard their song in Sephora (yes, Sephora the makeup store).

so then i bought Oh No. Then I bought their first cd the day after. I played it so loud that my speakers exploded, and when i play their songs on my new speakers they skip becaues the bass is just way too loud and awesome. it shakes up everything in my house, lol. That would explain why my neighbors always complain about "too much noise" laugh.gif
  • The first time I heard OK Go was in 2001, via cell phone, from my friend's car stereo. She had seen them play, bought the EP and was so excited that she had to call me and play it over the phone. Through the crap quality of technological channeling they still managed to capture my affections. Impressive. laugh.gif
  • Well, I'd known of them after a friend of mine saw them play on the "This American Life" tour. Then my friend Debbie saw them open for Fountains of Wayne, raved about their set, and played me "Don't Ask Me". I loved it, but couldn't remember the band's name and they kind of fell through the cracks of my brain.

And then the "Million Ways" video came out. The two kids in my film love OKGO and performed part of the "Million Ways" dance when we had to run off a few feet of film in the camera. I fell in love with the band through them. (Okay, so I also saw a picture of Damian somewhere and was like "Whoa.")

It kind of kills me that I could have seen them way back when, and I'll probably never get the chance to see them in a club now. But still!
  • Man, I'm fairly new to them compared to most of you guys.

I remember I saw the JC Penney commercial with "Do What You Want" and was like OMGAHSZCJVSDLKFJILOVETHISSONG, but I didn't know who it was by... it took me like a week to realize, "no shit, it's the band on the poster in the commercial," so I bought both their CDs and haven't shut up about them since then.
  • ^hah!

sorry, I was hoping that commercial would attract new fans. They really were awesome commercials, weren't they? I mean, as far as commercials go.

and don't worry about being new. I think it's great that Ok GO keeps finding ways to bring in new fans.
    not that I'm really an "old" fan myself, I just pretend =P

and I don't think I've actually told my story, not that it's very interesting.

WFNX played AMW on the radio a bunch of times. I know it didn't get much radio play anywhere else, but FNX is just rad like that, I guess. anywho, I was like, "ahhh I like this song way too much" so I went and (gasp) illegally downloaded it, along with dwyw, invincible, and a lot of songs from the first album (it's funny what you find on limewire and what you don't.) anywho, then I listened to them constantly, and then on the radio one day the dj guy was like, "oh and btw they do a funny dance to this song that you can find on their website" so I went and looked and that's when I became absolutely obsessed... and I joined here a couple of days after.... and I went and bought their CDs because I felt bad about having the music illegally.
  • You know, I just realized I never posted my story. My husband first heard "Get Over It" on 92.7 WLIR in 2002, and went to see the guys at what was then The Vanderbilt for WLIR's Halloween concert that year. He had a blast, and was so incredibly impressed with the guys that he bought the CD and the next time I came to see him (we were a long distance couple at the time) he put the CD on for me. I remember looking through the liner notes, and Adam telling me that he wanted to grow his hair out like Damian's. I was 100% for it.

We moved in together a few months later and that CD and Maroon 5's "Songs About Jane" were on repeat in our car. It wasn't long before OK Go came back to town and we went to see them perform at The Downtown in Farmingdale, NY (Long Island, 4/2003). That concert I was hooked. We talked to all the guys and got all of their autographs (including Andy Duncan and Burleigh's autographs)! I also remember clear as day my first "conversation" with Damian. I asked him if he could sign a CD for my cousin and he handed me his clipboard and said "Only if you sign this for me" with that irresistible smile of his.

Yeah, it was all over then. :-D
  • QUOTE (Shalu-lah @ Jun 22 2007, 06:23 PM)
    Man, I'm fairly new to them compared to most of you guys.

I remember I saw the JC Penney commercial with "Do What You Want" and was like OMGAHSZCJVSDLKFJILOVETHISSONG, but I didn't know who it was by... it took me like a week to realize, "no shit, it's the band on the poster in the commercial," so I bought both their CDs and haven't shut up about them since then.

haha. thats how i heard of them too! But I think it took me longer to realize that the posters even said OK Go. Everytime it came on my sister and I would be like ok, try to read what the poster says, but it always went to quick. eventually I got it...
  • the first time I heard OK Go...it started with my feet and ended up in laughter biggrin.gif
  • I purchased the Queer Eye soundtrack for Duran Duran and heard You're so Damn Hot. I thought to myself, hmm they're gonna be big. StarTrek time warp to the treadmills on YouTube... I didn't put 2 and 2 together. It took ordering OH NO with OK Go on Amazon to realize they were the same band. I'm old and my mind isn't as sharp as it used to be;)

We were so excited to see a band who had a sense of humor and were so strong in their individuality. They are so creative. EUPHORIA BEYOND ALL ORGASM!! Lovely, to see and hear music that is real.

I've been to see them 2 times this year...I'd see them every night if possible. We will ALWAYS go see OK Go if they are within a 100 mile radius.

I have not been this excited about music or a band since 1980.
  • I think it was last summer. i was in my best friend's house watching the mtv on the tv, and there was the here it goes again video... i just saw the video and first i though that they were crazy or something like that, but when i listened to the song I though, wow i really like this... next day I looked for every ok go's song and then.. i just bought the cd...

I think it was love at the first sight ^^