In this Discussion

Wierd Phobias.

Comments

• Daddy Long Legs. Other insects, I really don't mind. However, if one is near me, I freak out and someone has to calm me down. I once almost refused to walk under a door since there were about 5 on the top of the frame and I was convinced they would land on me. Eeeeeeeeegh.
  • QUOTE (giggleguy @ May 12 2007, 12:21 AM)
    I'm afraid of lots of things, the "weirdest" probably being Pelicans

come to think of it, they are pretty creepy..
  • They're super creepy if loose ones chase you around a zoo when you're 5. Permanent emotional scarringly creepy.
  • QUOTE (Angel @ May 11 2007, 12:40 PM)
    I don't mind jammy dodgers... but I DESPISE tomato ketchup. Seriously, if there's some on my plate I'll begin to feel sick unsure.gif

my mom is the same way... something about the combination of vinegar and tomatoes just makes her nauseous.
    I don't particularly like ketchup, but it doesn't make me sick.

my friend's boyfriend nick is afraid of furnaces... no lie. I thought that was pretty funny.

I'm afraid that a train will just tip over when we're up high... cause it always wobbles from side to side and there's nothing really to stop it from tipping
    I also really really hate being held upside down. I can hold myself upside down, like on monkey bars and stuff, but if anyone picks me up and holds me upside down I flip out. That's what comes of having an older brother.
  • QUOTE (giggleguy @ May 13 2007, 06:51 AM)
    They're super creepy if loose ones chase you around a zoo when you're 5. Permanent emotional scarringly creepy.

awwww. thats horrible! sad.gif
    They're super creepy if loose ones chase you around a zoo when you're 5. Permanent emotional scarringly creepy.

aww i had a similar thing happen but with geese. Now i can't go to the boat ramp alone blink.gif

After some minor testing today, I'm quite sure my dog is afraid of bubble wrap. Poor dear
  • QUOTE (Juniperberry! @ May 7 2007, 12:28 AM)
    I intensely fear clowns. They are the spawn of satan on earth, they're pure evil from the very curls in their rainbow hair to the tips of their pointy shoes!!!
    The sad part is I was never afraid of them as a child. It only started a year ago when a friend told me one of those classic clown urban myths, I still get goosebumps when i hear that one.

Tempe, have you seen/read Stephen King's "It"? It has intense clown hate, I'll never look at Tim Curry the same way!

Amen, juniperberry! They are the spawn of satan, which is why watching Damian dress as one makes me cry....well not really, but it does freak me out. What is w/ the curly rainbow hair!! That's the worst part. Wow, you're clown phobia started later in life. That's so interesting.

No, I absolutely refuse to see that movie! One of my teachers says she tried to get over her fear of clowns by dressing as a cute cheerful clown for Halloween. She says now she can't even look at the Halloween pictures of herself. She only intenisified her fear of clowns.
  • QUOTE (Tempe Arizona @ May 14 2007, 10:52 AM)
    Amen, juniperberry! They are the spawn of satan, which is why watching Damian dress as one makes me cry....well not really, but it does freak me out. What is w/ the curly rainbow hair!! That's the worst part. Wow, you're clown phobia started later in life. That's so interesting.

No, I absolutely refuse to see that movie! One of my teachers says she tried to get over her fear of clowns by dressing as a cute cheerful clown for Halloween. She says now she can't even look at the Halloween pictures of herself. She only intenisified her fear of clowns.

oooh yes! i forgot about the Damian sad clown... perhaps i tried to suppress the memory or something tongue.gif

"It" was just awful! I saw the movie a couple of months ago and i still get nightmares! I was convinced to watch it by little Seth Green (very cute)

I guess coulraphobia isn't that weird after all (haha i even know what it's called)
  • there was a giant ass mother fucking spider outside our door tonight. i made my roommate shield me as we went in and i almost started crying because it was just THERE...

i can't iterate enough how much i hate spiders.

i used to be afraid of needles, i kind of still am... but i have a tattoo. and the only reason that didn't freak me out is b/c i couldn't actually SEE the needle it was moving so fast... but shots... no. way. blood work? never had it done. I will FAINT.
  • QUOTE (katieyellow @ May 13 2007, 09:47 PM)
    i used to be afraid of needles, i kind of still am... but i have a tattoo. and the only reason that didn't freak me out is b/c i couldn't actually SEE the needle it was moving so fast... but shots... no. way. blood work? never had it done. I will FAINT.

Aww, poor dearie. How do you do with dental anesthetics?
    Aww, poor dearie. How do you do with dental anesthetics?

luckily for me... the ONLY thing i've had done, was my wisdom teeth. they gave me laughing gas before i got an IV, so when it was time for the IV i honestly couldn't feel it... i pretty much avoid shots at all times... i had to get a bone scan and the nurse asked how much i weighed b/c my dosage depended on it... and then when she came in, she had a HUGE needle and she did the creepy thing where she shoots the liquid out the end... blahhhhhhhh

i fainted when i got my ears pierced (lame, i know) and i fainted when i got my tattoo... SO embarassing.
  • QUOTE (Electra @ May 6 2007, 07:29 PM)
    escalators
    oooo
    they're so freaky blink.gif

haha I thought I was alone on this one.
  • I'm claustrophobic.... and also I'm not sure if this is classified as a phobia, but... ok you have to understand that I love scary movies, especially zombie related movies... so that being said, I'm kind of scared of zombies O.O! well the idea of them being real, and being like in my backyard or here in the world in general.. so I sometimes freak out A LOT over it... I know it's dumb, but whatever.
  • QUOTE (katieyellow @ May 14 2007, 05:47 AM)
    there was a giant ass mother fucking spider outside our door tonight. i made my roommate shield me as we went in and i almost started crying because it was just THERE...

i can't iterate enough how much i hate spiders.

Eurgh. I'm sooo terrified of them. There're huge posters of tarantulas on the escalators at a London underground station... you can imagine how much fun I had there...

And I can't watch "It" either, coz of the ending (I won't ruin it if anyone wants to see it... but we were made to watch it at school once and I ended up crouched in the corner of the room, shaking and swearing at my teacher lol).

QUOTE (Pearl @ May 14 2007, 06:36 AM)
    haha I thought I was alone on this one.

So did I!!!
    It's something about not being able to see the top I think. I dunno. Being led into an abyss.
  • QUOTE (Electra @ May 11 2007, 11:30 AM)
    Oh, sorry! laugh.gif
    I thought when Dani said "they're so good" that you all got me...

Jammy dodgers are a kind of biscuit... two layers of biscuit with this jelly layer in the middle (we call jelly jam, hence the name 'jammy' dodgers....)

Look at the utter revoltingness :

Thanks for clearing that up, I was lost.

Have any of you posted on this thread and then found your phobia was lessened? My phone phobia actually got better after realizing how many other people had it, too. I feel like one of those pharmecutical commercials:

"Try one month on the OK Go forum, three times daily, and some phobias may be cured*"

*may cause drowsiness/lack of sleep, lowered productivity at work and school, and an unexplained affinity to shit muffins
  • No, zombies still scare the shit out of me... I'd even strike the OKGo guys if they ever turned into them eeegh!!!
  • QUOTE (Electra @ May 14 2007, 07:44 AM)
    Eurgh. I'm sooo terrified of them. There're huge posters of tarantulas on the escalators at a London underground station... you can imagine how much fun I had there...

And I can't watch "It" either, coz of the ending (I won't ruin it if anyone wants to see it... but we were made to watch it at school once and I ended up crouched in the corner of the room, shaking and swearing at my teacher lol).
    So did I!!!
    It's something about not being able to see the top I think. I dunno. Being led into an abyss.

I think with me it's thinking that it'll shred me to peaces or pull me under it!! My dad made me get on one a few years ago, and I was just freaking out and people thought I was crazy.

As for "IT", the movie used to scare me to death, but I watched it a few months ago, and I was fine with it, so that phobia is gone... plus I love everything Stephen King, and the book is even scarier than the movie.
  • Haha, I think spiders are kinda cute, but it's a love-hate thing. At a good distance from me, I like them and think they're cute, and appreciate what they do (kill other bugs). But if one gets ON me, it's over. F-r-e-a-k.

I'm odd with needles; you can prick me all you want and I don't bat an eye.

But someone mentioned their friend and furnaces and here's my weird phobia--large machinery. A large floor-to-ceiling heating unit would qualify. I used to be afraid of the washer and dryer--especially the spin cycle where the washer often visibly jerks around all animated and creepy. Tanks (as in panzers and what-not) are hideous to me. They're like solid, cold death personified. I freaked out at a tank museum some years ago here. My imagination was even playing creepy bass oboe noises in the background like in Night of the Living Dead. The destruction and death that those tanks probably caused seems to cling to them and haunt them. I kept expecting them to move and start aiming their turrets. And car washes! It's the belly of the beast! blink.gif

My other phobias aren't weird. I'm deathly afraid of heights, but I think it's how afraid I am that might make it weird. Once I walked with my mom and we went over a suspension bridge, and I buckled down and cried and got up and ran back to safe ground. Once while hiking in Hawaii, I buckled down and cried on a narrow precipice, and scooted the rest of my way down on my butt. (Going up wasn't quite as bad somehow). Most recently, in August, we went up a glass elevator at St. Nikolai Kirche in Hamburg--to the top of the steeple. The glass elevator lets you see everything outside. I was sure I could handle it but the church was taller than it looks from below. I. Flipped. Out. And cried and humiliated myself in front of our guests. I was banging the DOWN button to get back down as fast as possible--I didn't even make it out to peek at the panoramic view. Similar thing in Cologne Cathedral--we were trying to climb up the spires but I only made it about 1/3 of the way before I freaked out. I would also never, say, get onto a tall ladder to paint the outside of my house. Uh-uh.

I'm not afraid of being on a plane, and that might seem inconsistent, but I think I'd freak out in a helicopter for sure.
  • haha, aww.. thats not that wiered lots of people are probably freaked out by large machinery?

well i have 3 fears (not in order, ide say that they're all about even)

1. FEET! they are the grosest things ever, hate seeing them and being near them!
    2. Jetty's, i dont know why i think it might the walking on water factor but im still nnot sure.. maybe i should get some counceling it might bring back some random memories or jetty trauma? or the hight factor, i dont liek standing near edges at train stations and on balcony's
    3. finding band-aids in my food :S ew.
  • feet? seriously? haha that's kind of funny.

I'm not that afraid of hights, I can handle hights, just as long as no one jokes around by pretending they're gonna push me over. I'm also not afraid of bugs, I think they're cute and such, I even play around with spiders lol... what does sometimes ""scare"" me is when I see hundreds of ants together just invading stuff... but I'm cool with them in general.

What I do have is a bit of claustrophobia, I just can't stand to see really SMALL inclosings, I'll just start to get agitated and fell like I'm loosing my breath... and tht's just by WATCHING THEM hahaha