In this Discussion

MA show!

1235»

Comments

• QUOTE (sureeyesawake @ Jul 1 2007, 10:27 PM)
    Btw, I wonder if Damian really thinks the words are "devastate" and then "decimate" in Invincible. We know that's backwards because we listen to the record all the time, but I doubt he does. laugh.gif

wait, does he really say them backwards sometimes? bahahaha that's great.

I'm sorry Columbus wasn't that great.

but hey, who thinks they're gonna meet their favorite guitarist/keyboardist at any old restaurant? that's pretty awesome.
  • QUOTE (thephantommilk @ Jul 1 2007, 11:00 PM)
    wait, does he really say them backwards sometimes? bahahaha that's great.

He says them backwards all the time. Every show I've been to since November! biggrin.gif
  • QUOTE (sureeyesawake @ Jul 1 2007, 11:19 PM)
    He says them backwards all the time. Every show I've been to since November! biggrin.gif

He does! I think it's because someone gave him a hard time about the technical definition of "Decimate". But I don't know.

Suzanne and Katie, I'm so sorry that your shows didn't go so well, but at least Suzanne you had Indianapolis, and Katie you MET ANDY!!! That's awesome, and I'm really excited for you. But yeah, The Fray's fans SUCK. I feel like I'm back in High School, UGH.

Hopefully these horrible people will get theirs.
  • QUOTE (DJRose @ Jul 1 2007, 11:31 PM)
    He does! I think it's because someone gave him a hard time about the technical definition of "Decimate".

hahaha traumatic experiences with the lyrics caused him to block them out of his mind? =D I don't know why, but that just struck me as utterly adorable.... =P
  • QUOTE (DJRose @ Jul 1 2007, 11:31 PM)
    He does! I think it's because someone gave him a hard time about the technical definition of "Decimate". But I don't know.
    Yeah, I read that. The first definition of 'decimate' is 'to kill every tenth man/reduce by one tenth,' but the third definition is 'to destroy a large part of,' so I would defend Damian's choice of words. My theory on the switching is that he just started singing it that way at one point and simply forgot that it's the other way around on the record.

QUOTE (DJRose @ Jul 1 2007, 11:31 PM)
    Suzanne and Katie, I'm so sorry that your shows didn't go so well, but at least Suzanne you had Indianapolis, and Katie you MET ANDY!!!
    Thanks. Yeah, I'm definitely holding on to that Indianapolis experience. smile.gif
  • QUOTE (sureeyesawake @ Jul 2 2007, 01:20 PM)
    Yeah, I read that. The first definition of 'decimate' is 'to kill every tenth man/reduce by one tenth,' but the third definition is 'to destroy a large part of,' so I would defend Damian's choice of words.

I saw a blog somewhere about this very thing concerning his choice of "decimate", and I didn't see that the blogger had a case either. I always understood that one meaning of "decimate" was "to destroy a large part of"; in any case, "mass destruction", and not necessarily entailing "a tenth" of anything. Damian's usage of "decimate" isn't only acceptable, it is just as correct.

I tend to go with your theory, too. wink.gif
  • QUOTE (sureeyesawake @ Jul 2 2007, 04:20 AM)
    My theory on the switching is that he just started singing it that way at one point and simply forgot that it's the other way around on the record.

I agree with you here, Suzanne. It's like OLISQ.... when was the last time he got all the words right for that song? Not that I mind -- I actually look forward to it. It tickles me to no end...
  • QUOTE (mumblo @ Jul 2 2007, 10:05 AM)
    I agree with you here, Suzanne. It's like OLISQ.... when was the last time he got all the words right for that song? Not that I mind -- I actually look forward to it. It tickles me to no end...

LOL, would you believe that I don't actually ever get the words right to it either? The choruses change so much I screw it up.

Yeah, Run's House Chick, who has the damned song as her RINGTONE, and I NEVER get it right. LOL!
  • Katie, that is so cool! That pic is beautiful!!!! What awesome luck!
    Aw, Suzanne ~hugs~ I kind of think your message got convoluted along the way, or maybe didn't quite reach them, cuz I'm sure if they knew it was the girl with the game, they would rush out.
    As for the lyrics thing- I think he just forgets. When you've been reciting the same thing night after night for 2 years, I dunno, I feel like you're bound to get so "this is routine" with it, that you don't think about it anymore and so might not get it exactly right. He did mess up The Fix Is In in MA. He completely skipped the line about the wine...
  • What a great thread. laugh.gif MA Fray fans suck, Mrs. K has it good despite the fact that Damian is never with her, OKGoland, screwing up lyrics...!

Oh, and yeah. He messed up OLISQ at the Indianapolis show... and I'm sure he's switched "decimate" and "devastate" for a while now. If it's really because of some debate about the meaning of the word, that's just adorable. I love his grammar obsession.
  • QUOTE (ktlou7492 @ Jul 1 2007, 10:41 PM)
    Oh and I'm sure he was looking at you when he sang that line. wink.gif biggrin.gif
    Haha, thanks. wink.gif

QUOTE (Tabetha @ Jul 3 2007, 06:48 PM)
    Aw, Suzanne ~hugs~ I kind of think your message got convoluted along the way, or maybe didn't quite reach them, cuz I'm sure if they knew it was the girl with the game, they would rush out.
    Ohhh, thanks, Sally. That was my hope. I have to believe that's probably what happened. Not that I'd expect them to rush out if they just really didn't want to see anybody, but I would hope I'm on their 'good' list, now. Judging by their reactions in Indianapolis, they were sincerely delighted by the game, and I'm holding on to that. I just hope they remember me and think well of me the next time they come around, however many months that is from now.

QUOTE (Tabetha @ Jul 3 2007, 06:48 PM)
    As for the lyrics thing- I think he just forgets. When you've been reciting the same thing night after night for 2 years, I dunno, I feel like you're bound to get so "this is routine" with it, that you don't think about it anymore and so might not get it exactly right.
    Yep.

QUOTE (mumblo @ Jul 2 2007, 10:05 AM)
    Not that I mind -- I actually look forward to it. It tickles me to no end...
    Hm, me too. smile.gif It's endearing. And OLISQ has, I think, really difficult lyrics!

btw, Shalu-lah, welcome to the boards! Another Midwesterner, yay!
  • QUOTE (sureeyesawake @ Jul 3 2007, 10:45 PM)
    btw, Shalu-lah, welcome to the boards! Another Midwesterner, yay!

YAY MIDWEST SUCKS!

biggrin.gif Thank you so much. I love being here.
  • QUOTE (sureeyesawake @ Jul 1 2007, 07:50 PM)
    Sally, I'm sorry for you having such a sucky experience. The *exact same thing* happened to me in Columbus last Friday.

I'm really late with this, but I'm sorry Columbus was so crappy, Suzanne. Wow, those girls sound realllly bitchy. Wtf?
    But yes, you've got Indianapolis! They love the game and I'll bet they love you, too.
    smile.gif

QUOTE (ktlou7492 @ Jul 1 2007, 08:14 PM)

Amazing! Were I you in that situation at that age, him coming up to the table, I would have been under the table, I'm sure. And I would have been incapable of speaking, so don't worry. Gawd, when I met Bono at the age of 27, my arms were literally shaking.

Anyway, yay you! Too cool.

QUOTE (Kareh @ Jul 2 2007, 06:42 AM)
    I saw a blog somewhere about this very thing concerning his choice of "decimate", and I didn't see that the blogger had a case either. I always understood that one meaning of "decimate" was "to destroy a large part of"; in any case, "mass destruction", and not necessarily entailing "a tenth" of anything. Damian's usage of "decimate" isn't only acceptable, it is just as correct.

I tend to go with your theory, too. wink.gif

Me too.

Speaking of Damian & vocabulary, grammar, etc., though ... it always annoyed/amused me that he always used the word "officious" wrong when he explained the u.tilize/use thing. dry.gif
  • QUOTE (sherib @ Aug 5 2007, 01:53 PM)
    Amazing! Were I you in that situation at that age, him coming up to the table, I would have been under the table, I'm sure. And I would have been incapable of speaking, so don't worry. Gawd, when I met Bono at the age of 27, my arms were literally shaking.

Anyway, yay you! Too cool.
    Me too.

Thanks.

Trust me my hands were shaking. When I saw him heading over I was like "oh my god he's coming over mom! mom!" under my breath. Haha. I was like, I hope he can't feel how shaky I am... ohmy.gif But I'm sure I made it out worse than it really was.
  • Some really nice pics from this show:

http://www.drivenfaroff.com/photos/

After you click on the Fray, OK Go, Mae link, the OK Go pics start w/#7.
  • o wow ktlou!!! that is sooo excited! ya i would have been like totally shocked that he was in the same restaurant as me, and a little confused...because he was in the same restaurant as me! ahhh so cool!

i love when people talk about seeing them in like wierd places like that!
  • Holy crap, they're all in my bathtub! laugh.gif

You guys are supposed to be Down Under!
  • QUOTE (sherib @ Aug 5 2007, 01:53 PM)
    I'm really late with this,
    And now I'm late in replying
    QUOTE (sherib @ Aug 5 2007, 01:53 PM)
    but I'm sorry Columbus was so crappy, Suzanne. Wow, those girls sound realllly bitchy. Wtf?
    But yes, you've got Indianapolis! They love the game and I'll bet they love you, too.
    Thanks for that! wub.gif