In this Discussion

Twilight

Comments

• QUOTE (ktlou7492 @ Jul 15 2008, 10:02 PM)
    Has anybody else seen the Entertainment Weekly, I think it was, cover of Robert and Kristin. It is pretty disturbing in my opinion. They both look the opposite of they should and the whole thing is just NO.

Yeah, my friend gets all the Entertainment Weekly's in the mail. So I got to read it. And we agree. Bella looks really beautiful in the pic, and Edward looks almost the opposite sad.gif Ew, the chest hair...not a fan
  • I know what you mean about Kristen being too pretty, but I think Bella's supposed to be pretty. Not overly pretty, but pretty enough to get all the Forks guys after her. And I think it'll be ok in the movie, where she won't be dressed up at all or anything. Also, the books are all from Bella's point of view, and Bella doesn't THINK she's pretty- but that doesn't mean that she isn't. I always saw it as that Bella was really that pretty, she just has really low confidence, especially next to Edward and the other Cullens. I mean, who wouldn't?

I read an interview with the guy playing Jasper, whose name I forget now, but he mentioned that he had read Twilight but he hadn't read the other two books because he didn't want any more of Jasper's character development from the future to mess with how he plays Jasper in Twilight. I thought that was really interesting, especially considering Jasper. I guess he did talk to Stephanie Meyer about Jasper's background, but he doesn't want to know anything that happens to Jasper in the future in case it shows in his portrayal of the character.

I love the fact that all of the actors involved, even the more minor ones, are taking everything so seriously.

Yeah, I wasn't really a fan of the EW cover... not even cause of how they looked, it was just tacky and in bad taste and inappropriate and just bad.

and haha, yeah, if guys were a bit more like Edward (or Jacob...) the world would be a brighter place hahaha. I really like Kaleb(twilight guy)'s take on stuff like that. he is really funny.
  • QUOTE (thephantommilk @ Jul 16 2008, 12:12 AM)
    I read an interview with the guy playing Jasper, whose name I forget now, but he mentioned that he had read Twilight but he hadn't read the other two books because he didn't want any more of Jasper's character development from the future to mess with how he plays Jasper in Twilight. I thought that was really interesting, especially considering Jasper. I guess he did talk to Stephanie Meyer about Jasper's background, but he doesn't want to know anything that happens to Jasper in the future in case it shows in his portrayal of the character.

That makes sense, That's really smart.

And I understand what you're saying about Bella, and it will help when she's just in the movie and not being all glamored up in a picture.
  • Jackson Rathbone! that's the name of the guy playing Jasper. He's amazing, as evidenced by the name.
    seriously, it's such a cool name.
  • haha, that is a pretty cool name

My friend got the movie Penelope, cuz there's a special feature with a scene from Twilight on it and some other stuff. She said she was a little disapointed with the scene, though. She just expected more
  • Really?? Oh dang I expected that scene to be cooler than the trailer itself.

I also think it's really clever the actor that plays Jasper acts that way because it's a minor character in twilight but as the books go on, he gets more and more attention. It's probably the most instriguing Cullen.

I think I don't like Jacob that much too. Because you know, every girl can relate to Bella and if ever one of us were in that situation, we'd probably hate the guy because we didn't want to hate ourselves...(it's just a stupid theory tongue.gif ) no one is as selfless as Bella is (in the real world...)

And you're right thephantommilk the actors seem all very commited from what I've seen and they seem afraid to let the audience down because there's such a huge hardcore of fans that they sound like they fear for their lives ahah biggrin.gif

You are the first people I can talk about this since there's no one I know around here who read the books. They're famous here in Portugal too but none of my friends have read them. So sorry if I'm too enthusiastic, it's just that you HAVE TO discuss these books after you've read them, right?

There's another thing that got my mind when I started reading the books. I didn't know anything about the author, I saw the trailer of the movie and some websites and decided to read them. But somehow the name Stephenie Meyer was associated in y mind with Meg Cabot. I went to check and I was right, they were both co-authors of the book prom nights from hell. There's more in common in my opinion: they're writting style is very simmilar baceuse is the kind of romance that sticks you to the book until you've finished it. It's a very distinctive and adicting kind of writting. I know almost all of Meg Cabot's books because they marked my puberty. It should be illegal to make such adictive books. Thought to me, Meg Cabot is very predictible right now...all the romances end exactlly the same way, I'm a sucker for happy endings but really it's just too much. With Stephenie Meyer it's not really that way because when you have a double-love someone is going to get disapointed.

Did you feel depressed reading new moon?
    Do you think Bella will become a vampire?
  • alright... it's ALL the rage everywhere... so once I'm done reading Stephen Colbert's book, I might have to give into the craze... I am thinking you all would suggest I do that?
  • yesss pleeease katie tongue.gif
    we want you to join in! Just one thing, please read them only if you have time, the books are so adictive that you just can't get your eyes off off them until you've finished. (well...I was annoyed at the middle of the second book but I think that's just me tongue.gif )
    I was clueless about this when I started reading the books: I only heard about this in a way that I saw the news on youtube about the new harry potter movie and they also mentioned twilight. I got curious and a week later I got the books. I'm really amazed/surprised to find out that this is such a phenomenom. But at the same time not so surprised because the books are really good wink.gif
  • I remember... had to have been at the beginning of the summer when I was on IMDB.com (my most favorite website ever) and I saw the fella who played Cedric in the HP movies, I saw he was in a new movie... and I was like HMMMM, so I youtube'd a trailer and posted it on my sister's myspace just for fun, didn't watch the whole thing through or even know what it was about, and now all of a sudden it's EVERYWHERE! i'm quite loyal to HP, but I think I'll give it a shot wink.gif Now that my summer classes are over I've had time for a little pleasure reading in between all the other stuff I have to do... so I'll hop to it asap smile.gif
  • QUOTE (m_I_a @ Jul 16 2008, 11:03 AM)
    yesss pleeease katie tongue.gif
    we want you to join in! Just one thing, please read them only if you have time, the books are so adictive that you just can't get your eyes off off them until you've finished. (well...I was annoyed at the middle of the second book but I think that's just me tongue.gif )

I couldn't stop reading it until it was finished, either. I was glad that I started it on Spring Break. I wasn't going anywhere and my sister was in Tennessee the whole time, so it was the perfect time to read, because my sister likes to talk, and whenever I try to read, she has to talk pretty much every 5 minutes! So I had some peace and quiet. And I read all three books in less than a week! It was crazy! I've never read a book that fast! Not to mention Three!

The second book was the hardest for me though. I wasn't exactly bored, but in the middle I was getting a bit annoyed, myself. I won't spoil it, but I just wanted to get on with it. But I kept reading nonstop anyway. I liked the end though. The second book just wasn't my favorite. When my friend finished reading it, I asked her how she liked it, but she LOVED it! It was her favorite one. But she's a big Jacob fan.

QUOTE (katieyellow @ Jul 16 2008, 11:18 AM)
    i'm quite loyal to HP, but I think I'll give it a shot wink.gif Now that my summer classes are over I've had time for a little pleasure reading in between all the other stuff I have to do... so I'll hop to it asap smile.gif

I love Harry Potter, too. For a while it was the only book I read, besides books for school. But then I decided to start reading other books. And then I read Twilight, and now I might even like it a little better than Harry Potter.
  • QUOTE (Rebekker @ Jul 16 2008, 12:40 PM)
    I love Harry Potter, too. For a while it was the only book I read, besides books for school. But then I decided to start reading other books. And then I read Twilight, and now I might even like it a little better than Harry Potter.

My friend and I are the same way. She is a bigger HP fan then me and even she is saying that she's starting to like Twilight better, which is saying alot. We never thought we would find a series we like better ha. It's sad though because I grew up with HP and and waited for each book year by year, but with Twilight it's all happening in one summer, which is sad I guess...
  • yeah, it is a bit sad, but after this book, we have Midnight Sun to look forward to! smile.gif
    I told my sister that she should try reading Twilight because I think it's even a little better than Harry Potter and that's saying a lot for me too. And since Harry Potter's the only thing that she reads, she should read this one since it's every bit as good as Harry Potter and more.
  • Thats exactly what I said to my friend haha.

And I read the first chapter of Midnight Sun and it is sooo different, I mean for being the same story line as Twilight technically. It was pretty interesting to read from Edward's point of view.
  • yeah, I read it too. At first, before I read it, I wasn't sure if it would be as interesting, but I think it might. And even if it isn't as interesting because we already know what happens, I think it will still be good, and still keep me hooked.
  • Yeah I read it too!! This is serious...Edward has awesome shots at kiciking the number one spot on my list of "fictional characters that if existed, I'd married the next day". The number one right now is Raoul, of the Phantom of the opera ahah I know it's silly, stupid hormones... rolleyes.gif (for the record, I'm joking tongue.gif )

I'm not such a big Jacob fan...the parts of the books that I just couldn't stop reading were the ones with Edward...

when was eclipse edited? I just have no idea...I think I read somewhere that twilight was on 2005, is that right?
  • butbut Jacob's just so much more..... human than Edward. Like Edward's great and all, but I'd much rather have someone who's heart is still beating, kthanx.

Also, Edward claims that music from the '60s is just terrible.... ummm hello, Beatles anyone?

And Edward's so serious all the time, and he's always beating himself up over stuff.... I just wanna slap him sometimes. Jacob has his problems but at least he can still joke about stuff and just be happy.

Plus I think their relationship would be a lot healthier... I mean, in that part of New Moon ( wink.gif ) where Bella was so depressed, it just shows how unhealthy her relationship to Edward was. I mean, it might be better now that Edward's back, but I still don't think it's a balanced relationship.

ok, I really really need to stop thinking of reasons why Jacob> Edward.

I really really really liked the Midnight Sun chapter... I think it'll be really really interesting to see Edward's side of things. And it might make me like him more...

Katie, I think HP and Twilight fandoms can co-exist peacefully. I would still consider myself a pretty big fan of both. And even if you don't have any interest in the Twilight fandom, the books are still worth reading.

re: HP and Twilight- you guys should go here and listen to their song "Cedric"
    I'm thinking you'll like it
  • Besides the Beatles, what else was really on the 60's?

I'm a sucker for guys who can sing/write songs/play instruments, he got me there. There and the naughty smile stuff. Jaob's kinda immature (I have some issues with that too tongue.gif )
    I'm not arguing or anything, I get your point of you perfectly, Jacob could be adorable, I'm just explaining why I like Edward best. Oh and he's bossy and protective ihih that's awesome too rolleyes.gif (stupid hormones...)
  • There's parts from both sides that I agree with. Edward is kinda serious all the time. And I understand how someone wouldn't like that. I'm not sure if I'd like that.
    And Jacob can seem a little immature. And that kinda bugs me. But still, Jacob wouldn't be a bad choice for Bella at all. I understand why some girls would like him better. I still can't help but like Edward a little more, though.
  • I'll give you all your points about Jacob. He may be the more rational choice I guess, but Edward is just so...ah wub.gif. I don't have to really have a reason to like him better.

Personally in the Eclipse I got a little fed up with Bella's selfishness. It just bugged me how she demanded so much from both Jacob and Edward, and in turn hurts both of them. I don't know, maybe I'm just jealous she gets to great guys and I'm left with none haha.
  • haha trufax, Bella can be annoying occassionally. But only occassionally. Mostly I actually like her.

And yeah, Jacob's maturity level is notsogreat, I can see your points there, but he's gonna grow out of that pretty quickly. And actually, that's a really interesting dichotomy cause he's all of 16 whereas Edward is what, 107? It's a bigger age difference than usual, haha. And I'm biased towards Jacob, but I think I'd still pick his somewhat immature, young, natural self over Edward...

and ya know, cause of the werewolf stuff, physically, it's like Jacob's 20-something wink.gif

60s was a lot of great music. Then again, I'm kind of obsessed with the 60s in general, so I'm a bit biased haha.

Ok ok ok, my final argument against Edward is that he represents perfection and most girls who are in love with him, Bella included, are in love with the idea of perfection and not with him, himself. Falling in love with a normal, flawed, human Jacob generally works out better than falling in love with perfection or with an idea.
    This actually changes throughout New Moon and Eclipse as we see more of Edward's flaws and more of his character and he becomes less and less of a far away ideal. Which actually makes me like him more.

Actually, I also would pick Jasper over Edward too. He's a really interesting character, plus he's supersexy =) too bad he's Alice's...

I don't mean to start an argument over Jacob/Edward, and I don't blame you guys for liking Edward. I mean, Edward is the love interest, everyone's supposed to prefer him. I'm not saying I even dislike him, I do like Edward a lot, I just prefer Jacob =)