In this Discussion

Twilight

Comments

• someone i know *cough*hensocks*cough* believes that robert pattinson is not attractive
    someone please prove her wrong

anyway, i've read the first two books of the series,
    and they're good except that they're really repetitive
    1. bella wants edward
    2. edward keeps trying to push her away and says he's the "bad guy"
    3. bella insists she doesn't care
    4. (repeat steps 1-3)
  • haha, i know what you mean.. and i pick up on repetition really fast; especially in writing so that was a bit annoying but overall i thought that the rest of the book compensated for it smile.gif

i saw the movie and it was ok.. it would have been alot better with abigger budget, but then again, wouldnt most movies be better with a bigger budget? i think catherin hardwicke did a really good job from the recources that she had..
  • QUOTE (heydoofball @ Jan 1 2009, 06:50 AM)
    someone i know *cough*hensocks*cough* believes that robert pattinson is not attractive
    someone please prove her wrong

anyway, i've read the first two books of the series,
    and they're good except that they're really repetitive
    1. bella wants edward
    2. edward keeps trying to push her away and says he's the "bad guy"
    3. bella insists she doesn't care
    4. (repeat steps 1-3)

I just want to state now... that I've thought Robert was insanely attractive since HP & tGoF... JUST... fyi...
    Now... I agree w/ your summary, doofball. It's KIND OF annoying... however I felt I needed to jump on this bandwagon too. I'm in the middle of Eclipse right now, and so far it's the most boring. it JUST got entertaining when Jasper revealed the story of how he became a vampire... Rosalie's was great too... .

BUT... meh. I don't hate Jacob as much as an Edward lover should... oh well. I guess I'm just a hopeless romantic. And I think I could have written this book better than Ms. Meyer... I'm just saying. OH and the 2nd movie is going to be shit.
  • this is the stupidest series of books i've ever wasted my time on. more than halfway through "breaking dawn"
    i'm mad i spent all this time reading this b.s.... embarrassed actually
  • QUOTE (katieyellow @ Apr 1 2009, 10:30 PM)
    this is the stupidest series of books i've ever wasted my time on. more than halfway through "breaking dawn"
    i'm mad i spent all this time reading this b.s.... embarrassed actually

My personal opinion is that Twilight really GETS to you, and then you devour the second one because you're waiting for Edward to come back, then the third one is alright (not great), so you read the fourth hoping for that great hot vampsex payoff which NEVER COMES, and instead you are treated to a bloody, gorey birthing scene and an anticlimatic end (which the author has herself mentally set to Invincible. I'm kind of eh about that tbh). Oh and all that hot Edwardness completely disappears in the the fourth book because he's completely wussing out.
  • Alright, this isn't specifically Twilight-related, but it concerns Robert Pattinson, so it's close enough.

My roommate mentioned that he's apparently he's playing Salvador Dali in an upcoming movie ("Little Ashes"). Now, it should be noted that my roommate is a major in Latin American Studies and also a lover of the Twilight series. Still, though, watching Pattinson trying to pull of Dali is hysterical and kind of sad. Really guys? Was Diego Luna busy?

Also, Sarah Haskins on Twilight
  • QUOTE (DJRose @ Apr 2 2009, 09:10 AM)
    My personal opinion is that Twilight really GETS to you, and then you devour the second one because you're waiting for Edward to come back, then the third one is alright (not great), so you read the fourth hoping for that great hot vampsex payoff which NEVER COMES, and instead you are treated to a bloody, gorey birthing scene and an anticlimatic end (which the author has herself mentally set to Invincible. I'm kind of eh about that tbh). Oh and all that hot Edwardness completely disappears in the the fourth book because he's completely wussing out.

I agree with most of this. All except for the third book. I guess it's just me but that one was my absolute favorite! I Loved it! And I definitely did only get through the second one because I was waiting for Edward to come back. And I was SOOO upset about the absolute non-sex in the fourth one. I just really didn't like the fourth book, it just completely upset me. And you're definitely right about the anti-climatic end. And the lack of Edward sexiness in that one
  • I've said this before, but Book 4 was hilarious. I'm not saying it was good, or it made sense, but it was hilarious. Which is kind of how I feel about the series as a whole- entertaining, but lacking merit beyond that.
    Anyways, I had no problem with 2 or 3 (except for Bella and her incessant depression and whining) because I'm a Jacob girl, not an Edward girl.
    And 4 had that whole section from Jacob's POV wub.gif
    then he went and imprinted on Renesmee, which is predictable and seriously meh, but at least he's happy. And Bella didn't deserve him anyways. She's an awful character, imo.

And I love Jasper. He's the most interesting Cullen (aka, the one who gives me hope that SM actually has some truly interesting/worthwhile ideas sometimes)
    plus Jackson Rathbone is gorgeous and really cool and awesome. Yeah, that's a bit shallow, but ohwell. I love him way more than RPattz (Twilight-era, GoF-era he was adorable), and Taylor Lautner is still a baby, no matter how much he buffs up for the next movie.

(and on an unrelated note: aww, Diego Luna wub.gif Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights is a total guilty pleasure from my middle school years.)
  • In fairness, I don't really remember the third book all that well. I think I was so let down by Breaking Dawn that I didn't bother to remember.
  • QUOTE (thephantommilk @ Apr 2 2009, 07:48 PM)
    (and on an unrelated note: aww, Diego Luna wub.gif Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights is a total guilty pleasure from my middle school years.)

A number of people I know (myself included) LOVE Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights. It almost always comes out for an impromptu viewing at parties after we've had a couple of drinks.

(And Diego Luna and Gael Garcia Bernal in Y Tu Mama Tambien mmmmmmmm. I blame my roommate, the Latin American studies major, for getting me into this. She has loved Y tu mama tambien forever and I finally got around to watching it. She is also the one who brought Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights into our apartment.)
  • QUOTE (thephantommilk @ Apr 2 2009, 03:48 PM)
    She's an awful character, imo.

I love him way more than RPattz (Twilight-era, GoF-era he was adorable)

she's probably one of the worst characters in fiction. i cannot STAND her. she doesn't deserve Jacob NOR Edward. Annoying.

and I'm all over the GoF thing... most people didn't even make the connection. I'm a Cedric girl, not an Edward girl. haha
  • biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
    Love it, Amy

Speaking of Twilight, I've recently been having wonderful conversations with my roommate and other Smithie friends about how awfully misogynistic and anti-feminine and right-wing and fundamental-valued and awfully-moralled Twilight is. It's fun times.
    I mean, I know you can't read too much into it because the books are so light and so obviously meant for entertainment purposes only, but at the same level it's still there in the books, and still influencing millions of preteen girls around the country, and that's pretty scary.
    /rant
  • It is true. I must first state that I've never read the series. HOWEVER, one of my best friends LOOOOVES Twilight, but is also one of the first to say how weird its messages are and how ridiculous it is. I think the main thing is that one needs to be aware of the messages in the book (this is true for any book; I'm not going to read Hunter S. Thompson and assume it's true, nor am I going to pretend that Rudyard Kipling wasn't a wee bit racist, despite my love for Rikki-Tikki-Tavi).
    From what I know of the series (and please someone correct me if I'm wrong), my main concern is how anti-sex it is. There's nothing wrong with someone choosing to remain absintent, but when sex is portrayed as something incredibly dangerous (hey demon baby), I have a serious problem with that. It's seems pretty blatantly pro-abstinence (and, really, depicts sexuality as something dangerous that needs to be controlled, especially in women).

• the thing is, that's kind of a mixed message. Because yes, Bella's first foray into sex ended in a demon baby. But then again, sex was the one thing Bella wanted to experience before she died and went all vamp. So its like, the only thing worth being alive for is sex, but that ends in unwanted teen pregnancy? t
    Plus, Bella turns down college- Dartmouth, no less- to get married and have said demon baby. Seriously. And her marriage is totally perfect with no effort on her part.

And she never once takes any action to solve any of her other problems- they all get solved for her, either by some one else, or just by random magic coincidence. to quote this review-

That year of wanting to drink human blood? Don't worry about it, you'll just skip it anyway. That baby who's killing you from the inside? Don't sweat it, Edward will just make you a vampire and then you'll be fine. Annoying cub boy won't fall out of love with you? Chill out, he'll imprint on your babies and then you won't ever have to worry about them getting in the way of your perfect love life again

this article also points out many of the right-wing ideologies in Twilight, as compared to the progressive ideas presented in Harry Potter. It's actually really interesting.

oh, and on a less serious note, I'm totally in love with that macro. All of the expressions are so perfect!
  • I am not a big fan of Twilight, but realizing that Stephanie Meyer is Mormon and knowing many Mormons, I think it's unfair to call their ideals radical right-wing. They are socially and politically conservative people yes, but it's unfair to say that those ideals are extreme enough to qualify as fundamental. Mormons are raised with certain ideals that can come across to others as abrasive. There are extreme Mormons, just as in any religion or political movement, but I feel SM was just expressing the ideals that have been taught to her growing up, just as anyone would allow their ideals to permeate their own thoughts/works without realizing it.

On a lighter note, my friend is a die-hard lover of vampire books, but hates Twilight. Does that make her strange?
  • Not at all; I was a mildly big Anne Rice fan back in the day, but never really took up Twilight.

I had a couple of Mormon friends in high school (and my roommate's sister seems to even be considering becoming Mormon). You're completely right in saying that Meyer is most likely is writing in her relatively conservative beliefs without consciously realizing it, the same way I write in a way that (unbeknown to me) reflects my relatively liberal viewpoint.

The more I think about it, I think that my reservations about Twilight have little to do with the actual book, but more my general feelings about the message mass media is sending to teens--especially teen girls--about sex. Twilight is just part of that.
    It goes along with my feelings about how so many Disney stars have openly started wearing purity rings. That in itself isn't bad, but it's advertised as being the only way. At the VMAs, a Disney star said, ""I just wanna say, it's not bad to wear a promise ring because not every guy and a girl wants to be a slut, OK?" It's this belief in a sort of binary: you're either a virgin or a slut.

(In short: Twilight is awesome and is, indeed, really entertaining and that's great! I've just generally been feeling a little iffy about the whole general movement that makes teen girls feel bad about their sexuality)

AND
  • Thanks for bringing that up, Tempe.

I didn't mean to sound as harsh as I did last night.

The thing is, I tend to be very very liberal, and so I characterize everything else that's towards the other side of the spectrum as more conservative than it probably really is, and I lump it all together as the same. It's a bad habit, and one I should really work on. I just don't have that many opportunities to meet and interact with people outside of my bubble, and learn to distinguish stuff like that.

So I can see, looking back, that I didn't really mean that the morals presented were fundamental or radical in the actual definitions of those words, I was just over-characterizing them because they're very antithetical to my own belief system.

And I think it does help to realize that SM is actively(for lack of a better term) Mormon, and there's nothing wrong with that.

But I could have been more open-minded about how I went about criticizing the books and the ideas presented in them, so honestly- thanks for reigning me in a bit, Tempe.

I think the ideals embedded in Twilight distress me so much because they're being distributed to such a wide audience.
    If I was one on one with SM, I probably wouldn't have a problem with her, because if her beliefs working for her, then that's great.

I just get antsy when they're affecting such a large group of people, and esp. because they're being read by thousands of teenage and pre-teen girls who then expect to find their Edward, and get married, and then not have to work at anything ever again in their lives, including college and a career.
  • Well said. Ditto.
  • thank you milky and tone. you've said everything i wanted to smile.gif