In this Discussion

I got an advanced copy

edited November -1 in OK Go
At my work somebody in the music department recieved an advanced copy of the new CD from a delivery man, which I promptly took from him. (He had not heard the first CD, so I figured I deserved to get the new one)

I gotta say it sounds awesome. A lot more straight forward rock, and none of the songs have a "filler" sound to them. The album is really great, I haven't been able to pick out my favourite song because they all very capably hold their own.

Basically I'm just posting to say, great job OK GO, and the rest of you guys all have to wait til the 30th of august, while I get to enjoy the CD now, suckas! (I still plan to buy the CD, just to show support)

Comments

• QUOTE (doobious @ Jun 19 2005, 03:11 PM)
    At my work somebody in the music department recieved an advanced copy of the new CD from a delivery man, which I promptly took from him. (He had not heard the first CD, so I figured I deserved to get the new one)
    I gotta say it sounds awesome. A lot more straight forward rock, and none of the songs have a "filler" sound to them. The album is really great, I haven't been able to pick out my favourite song because they all very capably hold their own.

Basically I'm just posting to say, great job OK GO, and the rest of you guys all have to wait til the 30th of august, while I get to enjoy the CD now, suckas! (I still plan to buy the CD, just to show support)

Heh More people are listening now than you think *gives a secret wink*
  • Hehehe...I second that notion. smile.gif
  • haha all of you people are getting the CD ahead of time and claiming that you are going to buy it, but why don't you just wait? I enjoy the suspense and I am not tempted to download the CD because I want to wait until it is actually released and then support the band by purchasing it. I know that all you people are saying that you will buy it, even though you already have bootleg copies, but how many of you will actually follow through with that? yeah, I doubt most of you will. Why can't you people just wait until the CD was meant to be heard? I'm not trying to offend anyone, I'm just voicing my opinion because EVERYONE is posting about "nah nah I got the new cd! and you don't!" and I just think it's really stupid. That is all.
  • Some of us are die hard fans.. as a rough estimate, I think I've spent probably tons in OK Go-related expenses (tickets, hotels, traveling expenses) so far this year.. upwards of $500. What's another CD in there? I know I'll be buying at least one copy, probably more (one for home, one for the car, maybe one for dorm room? hehe)

*wink*
  • i wanna copy of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! mad.gif august 30 so far away
  • It's not like none of us haven't heard the songs before anyways. Idiotjed recorded all of the new songs from their tour and posted them for us. So what's the harm in listening to those songs, and actually getting to understand what's being said?

Think what you want, but I'm quite certain that the majority of the fans who have bootlegged copies are all going to buy the cd when it's released. Sure, a few won't, but us diehard fans will be there, the day it's released, buying(at least) a copy.
  • QUOTE (bettyNLBboop @ Jun 19 2005, 10:44 PM)
    It's not like none of us haven't heard the songs before anyways. Idiotjed recorded all of the new songs from their tour and posted them for us. So what's the harm in listening to those songs, and actually getting to understand what's being said?

Think what you want, but I'm quite certain that the majority of the fans who have bootlegged copies are all going to buy the cd when it's released. Sure, a few won't, but us diehard fans will be there, the day it's released, buying(at least) a copy.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Hypothetically, If I were to obtain the album, I'wouldn't keep the songs I've never heard. I'd just keep the ones I heard in concert, as to not ruin the surprise.

This is all hypothetically speaking of course. wink.gif
  • i agree with losdiosdeverdes. i am very tempted to go and download it, but Mr. Mr. Jorge, Whom I Adore, Whom I Adore convinced me when he said the anticipation will build up,. and it is especially with everyone going on about how good it is. but i just want that feeling ripping open the plastic and blasting it in the car. that will be just an amazing feeling.

and although i am sure a lot of you who have it WILL buy the cd, i can only imagine whats going to happen when one gets on kazaa or something, and someone will hear the new single, and see the entire album. and there goes a cd sale.
  • I agree with you about kazaa. It's not a very good thing, by any means...but I can't imagine any of us are going to run out and put the album on kazaa, you know? And since Mr. Mr. Jorge, Whom I Adore, Whom I Adore ended the cd downloading as soon as he knew about it, I think the chances are pretty slim. I hope the chances are slim. The boys deserve our hard-earned dollar bills for thier beautiful music.
  • You know, I disagree about Kazaa being a bad thing. Let's be honest, the average person won't bother buying the album at first. But think of it this way. They might see them live and thats' where the money comes in. You can't help but fall in love with ok go when you see them live. Without a doubt, said person would buy album.

I found Bon Jovi through Napster. Since then, I've spent countless amounts of money on cds, posters, concert tickets and what have you. I think it more depends on the persons morals then it does depend on the means of how they get it. In a way, the people who buy the album are more passionate about the band, and that's never a bad thing. While sales may be smaller, it's not a random person buying it for one track, it's your devoted fan base, and I think record compaines look over these facts.

AH well.
  • ok, if i was to have gotten a copy og the new cd, i would say its amazing and well worth buying......twice biggrin.gif once for my selfish desires and once on release day for the boys

now come down to texas so i can buy tons of merch! laugh.gif
  • QUOTE (Vendro @ Jun 20 2005, 06:32 AM)
    I found Bon Jovi through Napster. Since then, I've spent countless amounts of money on cds, posters, concert tickets and what have you.

I totally agree with you! Half of the reason i have any cds at all is because ive downloaded a few songs by an artists and decided to buy an album on the strength of that. I downloaded the first Ok Go album to begin with as it was clear they would only release one song in the Uk, without music downloads i wouldn't of ever just bought the album on the strength of Get Over It cos its not that great. I'd say music downloading has enriched the music industry and allowed people to discover new music they wouldn't of otherwise heard. If the person then decides not to buy it, thats for thier conscience to deal with.

I strongly believe in only buying something if its worth the money you will pay. If i listen to something ive downloaded and im not impressed i will not buy it, i may not delete it from my computer, as i may grow to like it in time. It will never stop, bands will just have to rely on tour money and other merchandise. Thats jst the way it will be from now on

(ps.. I'd adore a copy of the new album biggrin.gif )
  • That is so true mike!
    I find that the odd download really helps me decided whether or not to purchase the cd! bc sometimes one song cannot do it!
  • Yeah, I've found my favorite bands--including Ok Go--by downloading songs on Napster, Ares, whatever. And many of the bands that I download from encourage people to put their stuff online to get more exposure. As for the other bands, like Ok Go, that I found online, I go see them live and buy cds, shirts, stickers, etc. As for one band that I found through downloading off Napster, I have seen them 5 times, own 3 shirts, countless stickers and multiple demos, as well as their released albums. They wouldn't have gotten that support from me if I hadn't found their music online.

As for people who have bootleg copies and aren't going to buy the cd--you're talking to the wrong crowd with that diatribe. If we're posting on this board, obviously Ok Go means a lot to us, and we will all go buy the album the day it comes out. Perhaps you've just overlooked the countless posts about being really excited about the new album, or about being really impatient about having to wait til August, or being eager to see the new album art, or.....
  • QUOTE (RejectedSponge @ Jun 20 2005, 12:23 AM)
    but i just want that feeling ripping open the plastic and blasting it in the car. that will be just an amazing feeling.

Oh yeeeaaahhhh......that's what I'm talkin' 'bout.....isn't that the best feelin'?

smile.gifsmile.gif
  • QUOTE (bertie @ Jun 20 2005, 04:34 PM)
    Oh yeeeaaahhhh......that's what I'm talkin' 'bout.....isn't that the best feelin'?

smile.gifsmile.gif

it really is. it really is.
  • Imma have to agree with the whole Kazza not really being so bad thing... that is where I heard my first Ok Go song. It's tough to have a crush I was looking them up cause they were touring with TMGB and we were having a tough time deciding wether to go at the begining of the concert and see the unknown opening band or if we should go shopping.... thanks to a dl program, I have spent well over $1000 on Ok Go stuff.... with out Kazaa I would have chosen shopping..
  • Just for the record...I wasn't saying that Kazaa was bad...if it wasn't for my school's music sharing I wouldn't have heard OK Go either, also I used to have Kazaa and Napster and Limewire(yeah, I like downloading music)...I was just saying that it's not cool for the album to be on Kazaa before it's released.
  • (cough) torrent (cough) spy (cough)

Torrents are bad! mad.gif And illegal!

Shhhhhhhh!

(dance!)
  • I feel like for every person that downloads songs then buys the album there are another 100 people who just download the music and dont buy CD's anymore