In this Discussion

at the risk of being nitpicky...

edited November -1 in OK Go
someone sent me this damian interview, and i couldn't help but notice this:

http://www.popgurls.com/article_show.php3?id=279

1. Do you think a secret agent can survive with only a sassy roundhouse kick alone?

What would you suggest she have in her arsenal?
For a secret agent to survive, her roundhouse kick must be anything but sassy. Sassy gets you noticed, sassy raises suspicions, sassy gets you caught. A truly exceptional secret agent must be intelligent, brave, witty, and fine-smelling. A truly exceptional secret agent must be able to blend in yet stand apart, must be fluid and translucent, must be flexible yet firm. To be successful, she must be able to commandeer any vehicle, u t i l i z e any weapon, sit through any movie. She must have gumption, and she must, above all else, be really, really persnickety.

DISCUSS!

Comments

• AHHH. AHHHH. The complete foundation of our knowledge on the Kulashi grammatical fanatisism that we've all come to know and love has crumbled!
  • No. No. No. No. wacko.gif
  • Yeah, Katy and I have discussed this interview before. We've decided that Damian doesn't have beef over the word u tilize itself, but that it is used incorrectly too often. In this case, it IS in fact being used correctly. This is the only PLAUSIBLE explanation, but I have brought I am thinking of printing out the interview and bringing it to Damian's attention next time I see him.
  • Umm, I'm still confused by the whole use thing? Please to explain to me?
  • Damian is a grammar dude, and a while back he was at a party and there was this columnist there. Damian started to explain that people missuse the word u tilize in place of the word use. This columist published an article on it, and we were asked by Mr. Mr. Mr. Jorge, Whom I Adore, Whom I Adore, Whom I Adore to do something (I can't remember if it was to support Damian or prove him wrong in the comment space of the article), and that's how the whole thing became famous.
  • OMG, this is making me tear up. I remember this, and looking back at all the comments and such, I notice a lot of the boardies that at the time had no idea the others existed. It's weird, Katy commented like 2 below me (I was Karleigh the Fabulous at the time) and I had no idea at the time that we would be friends. It also make me respect Darbie, Jade, and Andy more because at the time I was still just a wee ok go fan, and they were as diehard as they are now. Good times.
  • QUOTE (mixtape @ May 22 2006, 09:09 PM)

hehe, it still makes me giggle to see my name in the blog... especially since it stated that i got extra points, i thought i lost all my points (gained for my mention of the amish) when i disparaged my own vocabulary...
  • OMG, I just read my comment in the article, and dude, I sound so stupid, what a difference a semester in college will do.
  • haha check this out, read the first paragraph:

http://lawofsympathy.blogspot.com/2005/12/...less-peeve.html

Damian needs to see that.
  • I don't get why you guys spell utilise with a Z.
  • QUOTE (QueenofthePosers @ May 23 2006, 12:43 AM)
    haha check this out, read the first paragraph:

http://lawofsympathy.blogspot.com/2005/12/...less-peeve.html

Damian needs to see that.

I actually knew that, and every time I hear the song, it's kind of confusing because Damian should know better. I actually used the proper use of "decimate" in a story I wrote, and my creative writing teacher gave me 10 bonus points. But damian is only human.
    I don't get why you guys spell utilise with a Z.

Because that's how it's spelled in Americaland?
  • QUOTE (The End Has No Jen @ May 23 2006, 04:39 AM)
    I don't get why you guys spell utilise with a Z.

'cause z's are cooler than s's...
  • i really dont like the bastordised vershon of the english lang you have got in america..
  • i really don't like it when people spell things incorrectly
  • AH HA! SOOOOO! I guess Damian isn't so anti-u t i lize after all! HAHAHA! I feel vindicated. Even though I didn't actual participate in that argument, I've always felt he was wrong.

We've decided that Damian doesn't have beef over the word u tilize itself, but that it is used incorrectly too often.

But didn't he say that there is no actual need for the word u tilize? As I recall he claimed that it means the exact same thing as "use" and thus has no use other than to sound smarter than "use." And he's wrong. Dead wrong! *insert maniacal laughter here*
  • Well, to be fair, he was trying to make his description sound officious.
  • Well, maybe Damian was drunk (because we all know that's a possiblilty) and maybe when he was sober again he didn't want to admit he was wrong, so he made this really confusing arguement filled with huge words that most of us needed a dictionary to understand. I mean, true, you don't NEED the word u tilize, you could work your way around it if you couldn't remember it, but it makes more sense than use in some situations, and Damian should be the first to admit that language was invented in order for people to understand the thoughts and ideas of others, and u tilize is simply used to clarify in certain citiations.
  • wink.gif
    you guys all u tilize this thread to confuse me. Ha ha ha ha!!
  • That is not the proper use of u tilize