In this Discussion

Future Tours???

edited November -1 in OK Go
Sooo... when is OK Go planning to come to Australia???

Comments

• Never that anyone knows of.

They don't have enough of a following down there apparently.

**shrugs**
  • lol I don't think there's anything "apparent" about it wink.gif There's pretty much no OK Go following here.

So us Aussies have to keep on dreaming, 'cause it so isn't happening.
  • LIES!!!

I think Australia has had little exposure to the band, but even so there is a following. Given some love, a concert here and there, the Australian fans will not let you down.

Don’t let us go astray
  • When you take into consideration the cost and exhaustion that comes with travelling from the US to Australia, most bands don't think it's worth it until they have a big enough following to make it worth their while.

And OK Go doesn't have a big enough following in Australia for it to be even remotely profitable.

I mean, you're l ucky to even find OK Go at the local CD store. There's definitely not a big demand for them.
  • I'm going to agree with God on this one, and not because disagreeing would be blasphemy. The cost outweighs the benefit.
  • QUOTE (God @ Sep 6 2006, 05:27 AM)
    When you take into consideration the cost and exhaustion that comes with travelling from the US to Australia, most bands don't think it's worth it until they have a big enough following to make it worth their while.

And OK Go doesn't have a big enough following in Australia for it to be even remotely profitable.

I mean, you're l ucky to even find OK Go at the local CD store. There's definitely not a big demand for them.

God, you're member status is "My Father"

I just thought that was funny, because of your being God and all... it made me think of the Our Father.

yeah. anyways, P!ATD is doing their first australian tour soon (I think...) so whenever Ok Go become as big as P!ATD (or if they have enough of a cult following down there, which, like everyone else is saying, hasn't happened yet.)

sorry, I know it sucks, but there's not much we can do except spread the Ok Go love.
  • QUOTE (thephantommilk @ Sep 6 2006, 09:50 AM)
    God, you're member status is "My Father"

I just thought that was funny, because of your being God and all... it made me think of the Our Father.

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
  • I don’t agree there is a big market here. The only problem is exposure, Australia have only had YouTube. Having said that people are talking newspapers, and weekly music video shows….

Also i didn't have any trouble finding their CD’s in music stores, so there must be some kind of demand.

Come on throw me a bone here

by the way OK Go > P!ATD tongue.gif
  • QUOTE (Karisimby @ Sep 6 2006, 10:01 AM)

Well, of course! biggrin.gif
  • QUOTE (Karisimby @ Sep 7 2006, 12:01 AM)
    I don’t agree there is a big market here. The only problem is exposure, Australia have only had YouTube. Having said that people are talking newspapers, and weekly music video shows….

Also i didn't have any trouble finding their CD’s in music stores, so there must be some kind of demand.

Come on throw me a bone here

Yes, there is a market. Australians are incredible when it comes to consuming music. It's not unusual for Australia to be a bands largest fan base per capita, however that is not the case with OK Go at the moment.

They currently do not have the following. There is the potential for a huge following, but presently there isn't one.

And I'm sorry, but you're from Melbourne. The big cities have pretty much everything, but not everyone in Australia lives in the big cities. When me and several of my friends (from several other states) searched for OK Go in our smaller cities we were told we'd have to either import it from overseas or cross our fingers that Melbourne or Sydney had it (which they are sometimes lucky enough to because they are so huge).

I'm sorry but there's really no point in getting your hopes up for an Australian tour. I've followed countless American bands in my life and almost every time I've had to wait nearly an entire decade after hitting it big in the country before they came here. Don't hold your breath for a tour.

No matter how much you like OK Go it doesn't change the fact that the majority of Australians have never heard of them, let alone are fans.

This country gets skipped over for a reason, we're too expensive and we're too far out.
  • A lot of what you said is very true, and I completely agree. I'm choosing to be very optimistic about the situation, even though I know the chances are relatively small.

Many people have heard of the band and have seen the clips, all they need now is a push in the right direction. There defiantly is a following the question is if it is sufficient at the moment.

Also Australia isn't very expensive and even though it is out of the way and somewhat on the other side of the world... many bands do a 'Pacific' tours that covers Japan and Australia so it is worth while.
  • Purchasing stuff in Australia is not expensive but COMING to Australia is. I'm going to assume you've never travelled internationally if you're going to make comments like that. Getting people to Australia is hard enough, but throw in all the additional stuff bands need to play their shows and it costs more.

If you really want a bone, I'll concede that it may be possible that they could possibly perhaps do a promo tour if we're extremely lucky, but I seriously doubt they will be doing an actual tour for a long time because the following just isn't big enough.
  • The Australian Duran Duran fans - and there are a lot of them - have been waiting for a Duran Duran tour for quite a while. They are feeling anxious and unloved. Perhaps this is widespread. I hope that both OK Go and DD will make it down that way soon - you deserve a chance to see them.
  • QUOTE (Karisimby @ Sep 6 2006, 10:01 AM)

It's so true!

Lately I've been liking Panic!. What's wrong with me?????
  • QUOTE (HelloLover86 @ Sep 7 2006, 02:38 AM)
    It's so true!

Lately I've been liking Panic!. What's wrong with me?????

Are you running a fever?
  • Not that I know of....
  • Hahah. I just have to laugh at the Panic! fever comment, but I can't be arsed to hit 'reply' and also add, just because people have seen OK Go on youtibe doesn't mean they want to go see them. SO MANY of my friends since the video was released have spoken to me about them, but I wouldn't count on ANY of them going to see them. So, um yeah. Not sure where I'm going with this anymore....
  • QUOTE (God @ Sep 6 2006, 06:27 PM)

i even envy that.
    three years ago when i got first album, there was nowhere for me to get it in korea.
    i implored cd store to import an album and it was extremely hard to get it.
    at that time most of ok go fans in korea got the album through amazon.
    lately, getting the albums in korea is much easier than it use to be, but still hard.
    when we order albums once, we have to wait at least two months..
  • QUOTE (God @ Sep 7 2006, 01:53 AM)
    Purchasing stuff in Australia is not expensive but COMING to Australia is. I'm going to assume you've never travelled internationally if you're going to make comments like that. Getting people to Australia is hard enough, but throw in all the additional stuff bands need to play their shows and it costs more.

If you really want a bone, I'll concede that it may be possible that they could possibly perhaps do a promo tour if we're extremely lucky, but I seriously doubt they will be doing an actual tour for a long time because the following just isn't big enough.

Should never assume things tongue.gif I won’t go into my travel history, but there is plenty of international travel. Yes coming to Australia is expensive and out of the way and time consuming etc... That’s why I mention that a lot of bands go to Japan, because there is a HUGE market there for every thing which makes it worth it. Once in Japan, Australia isn't that far.

Why isn't the following massive in Australia? Lack of exposure. Seriously there is a fan base here that formed from YouTube scraps. Not a lot to go on. In the US they are constantly doing concerts that’s why there is a huge following. If we had that’s here… think of the possibilities

It's probably early days yet, but I guess we will see

.....Duran Duran....*sobs
  • Yeah, they can tour the US 'cause it's cheap and convenient to tour their own country. To do the same here as what they've done in the US would cost a disturbing amount of money that most bands just don't have the funds for or the interest in. And frankly, Australia just isn't that important in the music world in comparison to the US or the UK. I don't see what part of that is so hard to understand.

If exposure is what it comes down too the most they'll do (if they're clever) is a promo tour which will more than likely consist of one show in Sydney and Melbourne and that'll be it. They'd be stupid to do a tour without a SOLID fanbase.

And I'm done for me, for I am le tired.