In this Discussion

No Skinny Minnies

edited November -1 in General Discussion
There's a fashion show going on in Madrid and they've banned excessivley thin models from walking the run-way. What do you guys think about it? Strange but interesting. I love the part where the models are outraged about this idea. As if they were thinking, "good God, you mean you want me to eat?!"

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060908/lf_af...on_060908143012

Comments

• I whole heartedly support it happy.gif

In Australian Fashion Week, one designer got every day women to model her bikini's and the organisers kicked up a stink and wanted her to use normal models, but she put her foot down and I must say, the every day women looked fantastic in their bikinis.

The only way women are going to start feeling better about their bodies is if the fashion industry starts using normal looking women instead of anorexic stick insects. Frankly, I find the majority of models they use today absolutely revolting to look at and designers who support normal women should be commended.

I mean, celebrities and models are not only unhealthy but the only way for most people to maintain a weight like that is through an eating disorder. I'm the same height as Paris Hilton, but I'm a good 12 kilo's heavier than her (she's supposedly 50kilo's according to her police record) and frankly, if I lost 12 kilo's I would not only look disgusting (like her) but my health would seriously be in danger.

And that's the end of my rant fo rnow.
  • Completely agree, wish the rest of the world would catch on the idea too tongue.gif

I get asked quite often at school if I'm anorexic/bulemic =/ It's offending, because I'm just naturally tall and thin and have never even dieted in my life.

With the whole pressure-to-be-thin thing, I've found it makes you a lot more self concious about buying stuff that's low fat/calories because people'll judge you sad.gif
  • i say ROCK ON for banning sickly skinny girls..
    i saw one inperson the otherday.
    creeped me out..
    and mademe wanna vomit on her for some reason..
  • I think it's great... I see that some girls are naturally very skinny, but most girls are not. I don't see anything wrong with models looking a little less skinny and a bit more normal...
  • Curvy girls are far hotter to look at. Designing for skinny girls is just a cop out for talentless designers ohmy.gif
  • i think that's wonderful!!! i think designing clothes could be a really great job, it interests me at least, and if i ever made it, i would definitely use normal human beings as my models. i've always been on the chubby side and i think it's great that someone is challenging the idea of everyone using rail-thin models.
  • i suppose it's because everyone thinks that everyone thinks that "thin is in," that it's okay to hate on skinny girls and imply that they are not normal. calling them sickly, anorexic, and/or bulemic especially without knowing them is just as wrong as calling anyone of larger size fat, piggy, chunky, whatever. *shock*

if you're not one of them, i'm sure you know girls (and even guys) that can eat and even love to eat and still never gain a pound. they probably wish that they could gain weight, be more curvy, or fill out clothes like "normal" people. just some food for thought... mellow.gif

edit: oh, and i think that it would be awesome if the advertisement and fashion industry utilized models of various shapes and sizes! something for everyone is always good, i think.
  • thanks for reminding me of that... i can get a little carried away sometimes. >.>
  • QUOTE (shades of blue @ Sep 14 2006, 11:43 AM)
    edit: oh, and i think that it would be awesome if the advertisement and fashion industry utilized models of various shapes and sizes! something for everyone is always good, i think.

I agree with that! cool.gif
  • QUOTE (shades of blue @ Sep 15 2006, 04:43 AM)
    i suppose it's because everyone thinks that everyone thinks that "thin is in," that it's okay to hate on skinny girls and imply that they are not normal. calling them sickly, anorexic, and/or bulemic especially without knowing them is just as wrong as calling anyone of larger size fat, piggy, chunky, whatever. *shock*

if you're not one of them, i'm sure you know girls (and even guys) that can eat and even love to eat and still never gain a pound. they probably wish that they could gain weight, be more curvy, or fill out clothes like "normal" people. just some food for thought... mellow.gif

I disagree. As a skinny girl with lots of fellow skinny friends (who, yes, have been accused of eating disorders before), I do agree that there is unnecessary bitching about healthily skinny girls. However girls in the fashion industry are a whole other level, in my opinion.

There's a difference between naturally being slim because you have a fast metabolism and the majority of the lollipops you see walking the catwalk.

The fact of the matter is that we all know the fashion industry desires the disturbingly skinny and often girls who are what we would consider very skinny are told they're too fat and need to lose weight. I think if they stopped having that attitude and just accepted women as they are (be they very skinny or curvy) then that would be fine, but at the moment countless girls who are already very skinny are being turned down 'cause they're not skinny enough. And that's just not cool.
  • QUOTE (shades of blue @ Sep 14 2006, 08:43 PM)
    i suppose it's because everyone thinks that everyone thinks that "thin is in," that it's okay to hate on skinny girls and imply that they are not normal. calling them sickly, anorexic, and/or bulemic especially without knowing them is just as wrong as calling anyone of larger size fat, piggy, chunky, whatever. *shock*

When I used the word normal, I meant more like the average girl... and the average girl is not underweight. So in that sense they are not normal.

I totally agree with you that making fun of or looking down on thin women is just as bad as making fun of bigger women. But a lot of women look up to models, and I'm pretty sure it would be better if they portrayed something that resembles an average woman instead of a woman on the far end of the scale. All models being obese wouldn't be a good thing, and all models being underweight is not a good thing either. And that's why I think this is a very good idea.
  • QUOTE (God @ Sep 15 2006, 11:05 AM)
    I disagree. As a skinny girl with lots of fellow skinny friends (who, yes, have been accused of eating disorders before), I do agree that there is unnecessary bitching about healthily skinny girls. However girls in the fashion industry are a whole other level, in my opinion.

There's a difference between naturally being slim because you have a fast metabolism and the majority of the lollipops you see walking the catwalk.

The fact of the matter is that we all know the fashion industry desires the disturbingly skinny and often girls who are what we would consider very skinny are told they're too fat and need to lose weight. I think if they stopped having that attitude and just accepted women as they are (be they very skinny or curvy) then that would be fine, but at the moment countless girls who are already very skinny are being turned down 'cause they're not skinny enough. And that's just not cool.
    i'm not sure what you disagree with, but if repeating helps to clarify myself:: oh, and i think that it would be awesome if the advertisement and fashion industry utilized models of various shapes and sizes! something for everyone is always good, i think.

EDIT: Ok, i think you misunderstood me. I agree that there is definitely an existing problem of eating disorders in the fashion world, but I'm just saying that one shouldn't hate, blame, or judge those or any women or any person, really. there's pressure to perform or be in a certain shape, in all personal lives, jobs, careers, sports, etc. you may or may not even know that even wrestlers can struggle with eating disorders. i'm not making excuses. it just bothers me when people judge and call others names.
  • I was so glad when I saw a really Big Model at the Madrid or was it Paris Fashion show It gave me a lot of hope that things might change and then all us Curvy Women will Rule the earth
  • This is a double edged sword, though. Recently there was this size 26 model modeling lingerie at a JPG show. Mmm, not my cup of tea.
  • QUOTE (HelloLover86 @ Nov 12 2006, 02:05 PM)
    This is a double edged sword, though. Recently there was this size 26 model modeling lingerie at a JPG show. Mmm, not my cup of tea.

I agree. It can go both ways in this situation.
  • QUOTE (Jaded @ Nov 12 2006, 02:17 PM)
    I agree. It can go both ways in this situation.

I care a lot about fashion, I can spend entire weekends going through issues of Elle, Vogue, W, In Style, etc, and the fact is normal people don't look as good as skinny people do in today's trends.
  • QUOTE (HelloLover86 @ Nov 12 2006, 02:47 PM)
    I care a lot about fashion, I can spend entire weekends going through issues of Elle, Vogue, W, In Style, etc, and the fact is normal people don't look as good as skinny people do in today's trends.

fashion is one of my big things as well. Besides music magazines, I got through a lot of fashion magazines, too. But your last sentence is sooooo true. Like the whole skinny jeans trend, you need to have a certain leg shape for those, and a lot of people just don't. It's kind of like the same thing with guys wearing leather pants (my friend and I were talking about that. How he could never wear leather pants and look good in them
    because his legs are too atheletic because he runs track and stuff.)

I honestly don't know any guys who would wear leather pants these days, but Jim Morrison entered our conversation somehow and that's where the leather pants came up . . . yeah.
  • Skinny jeans, exactly. There are SOOOO few people who can (and should) where them. I was at an emo/scene show on friday night filled with all these 13 year olds. Of all the girls wearing skinny jeans, only a handful of them should have been. I know my fashion limits, I will never look good in skinny jeans. Skinny people should stay in fashion if it continues to have trends like this, but maybe fashion should change their trends so they look good on all figures. **shrugs** just a thought.
  • I agree with that 110%. smile.gif

I follow fashion, but I put my own spin on it, as I'm told, so I don't worry about stuff like that too much.

But then again, I live in rural Michigan. A lot of people don't get me. mellow.gif

Oh well.

Edit:

I was being redundant.
  • QUOTE (Jaded @ Nov 12 2006, 03:22 PM)
    I agree with that 110%. smile.gif

I follow fashion, but I put my own spin on it, as I'm told, so I don't worry about stuff like that too much.

But then again, I live in rural Michigan. A lot of people don't get me. mellow.gif

Oh well.

Edit:

I was being redundant.

No, you were being clear. I agree with you 110%.