In this Discussion

Great new pics of Damian and Andy

Comments

• QUOTE (HelloLover86 @ Nov 12 2006, 05:10 PM)
    None taken, but I've witnessed both of their immaturity/jerkiness personally, and so have a handful of other people. Dan has been known to say that Damian is a jerk, and I'm likely to believe him. I mean, there's got to be a reason why people like Jen and other longtime fans don't like Damian.

Maybe they've acted like asses around Damian and/or Andy, and Damian and/or Andy reacted accordingly?

And maybe the Dan conversation was taken too seriously? I don't know because I wasn't there, but ... I mean, geez, maybe Dan was in a bad mood. Good God, people ...
  • I read on some other thread on this board that Damian's way of coming off as an asshole is charming. I know someone who acts exactly like that, not for very good reasons, too. I won't state those here, though.

But, it is "charming" in a way, and really acceptable at first because that way of acting fitted him so well, no one cared. But it got really bad after the first month and a half or so.

I don't know Damian or any of the members at all, I've never met them so I won't judge, but if that's how everyone says he is, I can definitely understand why longtime fans who have met them more than once don't really appreciate the way Damian acts.

That's just what I think.
  • QUOTE (sherib @ Nov 12 2006, 02:43 PM)
    I personally have a secret wish that the reason they're together all the time is that they're having a secret affair, but I doubt that's true either (damn!! laugh.gif ).
    God, I would love that ...

At a show about a year ago, when I was talking to Dan and Tim, I asked where Damian and Andy were and they said that they were out having dinner, so maybe you're right. I've always thought that Damian was trying to make Andy into Damian Jr.

The past year or so, I've found myself not liking Damian that much. Mostly because in interviews and stuff, it's always Damian and I started to get tired of that. Plus, he was a little bit of a jerk to my sister once, but she was kind of asking for it. The only nice memory I have of Damian is one way back in 2004 when he waited with me and my sister for my dad to come pick us up because it was in a sketchy part of the city and we were the only fans left.

Whatever, Tim and Dan have always been my favorites.
  • QUOTE (ezorvera @ Nov 12 2006, 07:21 PM)
    At a show about a year ago, when I was talking to Dan and Tim, I asked where Damian and Andy were and they said that they were out having dinner, so maybe you're right. I've always thought that Damian was trying to make Andy into Damian Jr.

The past year or so, I've found myself not liking Damian that much. Mostly because in interviews and stuff, it's always Damian and I started to get tired of that. Plus, he was a little bit of a jerk to my sister once, but she was kind of asking for it. The only nice memory I have of Damian is one way back in 2004 when he waited with me and my sister for my dad to come pick us up because it was in a sketchy part of the city and we were the only fans left.

Whatever, Tim and Dan have always been my favorites.

The bolded part is EXACTLY how I feel. I'm not saying I don't like Damian and Andy, but there are 2 Damian and Andy's in my mind: The Damian and Andy that have been rude to me numerous times, and the Damian and Andy onstage. I love the onstage Damdy's (if Dan + Andy = Dandy, than Damian + Andy = Damdy), they make me weak at the knees, and I would TOTALLY do them. The rude Damdy's I could do without, but they seem to be popping up more and more these days. Remember, Damian got arrested, and I'm not saying it was deserved, but I was there, and when the cop asking to move, he got all smartass and jerky, which would make anyone with authority pissed off.
  • QUOTE (HelloLover86 @ Nov 12 2006, 05:10 PM)
    Dan has been known to say that Damian is a jerk, and I'm likely to believe him.
    Okay, first of all, Dan prefaced what he said with "Damian is a really nice guy." Second, it was one conversation. If I were to be publicly held to one conversation I had about a good friend of mine ... I think that's really unfair. People can be in bad moods, be testy with each other, at any given moment, and all relationships including friendships have their ups and downs. Further, he said Damian can be a jerk, and the context was that he had told an embarrassing story about Dan onstage (the pissing in a bucket story). A story that I don't think is that bad and I can see why Damian would use it for laughs onstage. He was teasing Dan. Teasing among friends, oh no! And last, regarding that, that conversation wasn't meant to be public anyway. Dan said, "Don't tell anyone I said that!" (I'm sure he had an inkling he had said things that could be taken the wrong way and blown up among fans, just as they have been now) and, according to the source of the story, Karleigh wasn't supposed to mention it. I'm just talking about it because I want to defend both Damian and Dan.

I mean, there's got to be a reason why people like Jen and other longtime fans don't like Damian.
    Here, you're putting words in people's mouths, or at least one person's mouth, by name. I may be committing a no-no here (forgive me if so, Jen) since this is from a private message, but since you've taken it upon yourself to claim Jen "doesn't like Damian," I feel the need to set a record straight. This is from Jen just two months ago: "The only people who think he's an ass are like I said people who they've toured with [Sheri's note to clarify: she means people the band has toured with, not people *Damian* has toured with, so she's not talking about members of OK Go]. Well, ONE band. Every other band they've toured with, even met that I've worked with/for have loved them. They think they're incredible. I think people just get pissed off because he is the most popular because he's pretty you know, if you want to talk to him properly you have to fight for his attention. I cannot remember the amount of times we have been deep in conversation and people just come and barge in, and he's a polite guy so he'll talk to the person that clearly has no manners.... I guess thats maybe why people think he is an ass. I dunno. He's always had time for me, ever since the first time I saw them 3 years ago. I think he's great. He just doesn't have as much time for everyone as say Dan, and thats because all the teenies want Damian because he looks better in photos."

QUOTE (mixtape @ Nov 12 2006, 05:14 PM)
    Even if it is true, he's a lead singer. Totally expected/acceptable.
    If someone truly is an ass (which I think Damian is not), it's not acceptable, lead singer or no.

QUOTE (Jaded @ Nov 12 2006, 05:57 PM)
    I don't know Damian or any of the members at all, I've never met them so I won't judge, but if that's how everyone says he is, I can definitely understand why longtime fans who have met them more than once don't really appreciate the way Damian acts.
    He's a nice guy.

QUOTE (ezorvera @ Nov 12 2006, 06:21 PM)
    Oh, good lord ... Now Damian's got evil mind powers he's using to cast poor defenseless twenty-eight-year-old Andy under his spell? Come on! Besides, it's not like Andy only ever hangs out with Damian. He hangs out with Tim solo as well. And Friday night he hung out with a friend who was in from New York (I believe it's New York)--they were together, apart from evil Damian laugh.gif , the whole time they talked to fans (I joked around with both of them, actually), and then they walked off together when things wound down--no Damian in sight.
    And as far as having dinner goes ... LOL Not exactly proof of a raging homosexual affair.
    He does most of the talking in interviews, yeah, but maybe he's just used to it? There are many many times where he draws Tim into the conversation in interviews as well; I think many times he's mindful of his own jabbering.
    "but she was kind of asking for it."That answers that.
    As far as that being the only nice memory, that's a pretty nice memory. Who knows what he was supposed to be doing at that moment. I'd be pretty impressed by him staying to do that for me.

QUOTE (HelloLover86 @ Nov 12 2006, 07:22 PM)
    The bolded part is EXACTLY how I feel. I'm not saying I don't like Damian and Andy, but there are 2 Damian and Andy's in my mind: The Damian and Andy that have been rude to me numerous times,
    First, I would say, define "rude," and second, I would say, did you ask for it?
    and the Damian and Andy onstage. I love the onstage Damdy's (if Dan + Andy = Dandy, than Damian + Andy = Damdy), they make me weak at the knees, and I would TOTALLY do them.
    What does that have to do with anything?
    The rude Damdy's I could do without, but they seem to be popping up more and more these days.
    Maybe you're popping up more and more these days.
    Remember, Damian got arrested, and I'm not saying it was deserved, but I was there, and when the cop asking to move, he got all smartass and jerky, which would make anyone with authority pissed off.
    Damian and Tim (separately) have both said he didn't realize the first person talking to him was actually a cop. And he wasn't doing anything differently than he has in other venues, apparently, and wasn't he under the understanding that it had been okayed by their management (Mike Kent or whoever)? Anyways, I wasn't there, but from the descriptions of the event it sounds like he didn't know exactly who he was dealing with at first and that even once he did, they were being dicks about it.

Here's the thing, people. The guys in the band don't have to do any of the stuff that they do with/for the fans. They don't have to do any of it. But they do. Over and over, night after night. I think many OK Go fans are beyond spoiled by it. This band is extraordinarily gracious.

Don't you think there are things they'd rather be doing? Don't you think that regardless of the fact that they chose this life and that by and large love touring, that it's really difficult to be on the road two years in? Especially when you're a newlywed? Damian has said time after time that he loves the song "Do What You Gotta Do" and that it makes him weep--have you listened to the words to that song? THINK about it. It's a difficult situation they're in; you're doing what you love, but you're maybe hurting the ones you love, and they're dependent, really, on their significant others' understanding. And don't you think they'd rather be done touring so they can start working on something new? Don't you think it's draining to have played certain songs five hundred times in one year (as Damian was talking about with some fans Friday night)? (And no, before someone says he was being an ass by saying that, he wasn't complaining; he was asked whether energetic, crazy crowds are draining to play for and he said, no, it's the other way around--it's more draining to play when the crowd energy isn't there, because you're already trying to find a way to make the songs fresh for yourself, so a good crowd boosts you.) So they're balancing relationships and career pressures and God knows what else, and then when they're not meeting every "need" of every fan out there, they're jerks and asses? I think they go above and beyond, and if at times they seem to be in a mood or seem "rude," well, I think that'll happen with anybody, most times probably unintentionally, but certainly if particular fans are acting like morons. (I'm not calling anyone here a moron; I'm just speaking hypothetically.)

Maybe it's an age thing, maybe it's a personality thing, I don't know; but the examples of Damian being an ass (and there have been almost no specific examples offered since this topic came up months ago) haven't struck me as that ass-y. I find myself thinking, "Big deal," and taking it as him being a teaser. He teases everyone. That's the way he is. The thing is, there seems to usually be affection behind it!

I've met him three times now, and he strikes me as nothing less than a big sweetheart. He is so fucking sweet. His personality also reminds me of someone I used to know, and in some ways he reminds me of myself--maybe I just "get" him?

He's also really unshallow (is that a word?) and that impresses the hell out of me.

Anyway, these guys are givers. Let's try and respect how much they give, for fuck's sake.
  • All right, you know what? This is a stupid arguement.

You know what, guys? They're human beings. They're not perfect. Everyone's perfectly capable of being an ass or a jerk at some point or another. All of them can be jerks at times, and all of them can be the sweetest guys in the world. I think we just happen to notice Damian more than the others 'cause he's up front and center all the time.

And Karleigh, I'd really appreciate it if you stopped bringing up the conversation that Dan and I had as proof, since 1) I wasn't supposed to tell anyone in the first place, and 2) you weren't there.
  • QUOTE (jedi_grrlie @ Nov 13 2006, 07:37 AM)
    All right, you know what? This is a stupid arguement.

You know what, guys? They're human beings. They're not perfect. Everyone's perfectly capable of being an ass or a jerk at some point or another. All of them can be jerks at times, and all of them can be the sweetest guys in the world. I think we just happen to notice Damian more than the others 'cause he's up front and center all the time.

I agree with you completely, Katy. I think that the thing about Damian specifically and OK Go in general, is that when you first meet him/them, you're completely blown away by how awesome they are. The first time you meet Damian, you walk away thinking he's so amazing/intelligent/funny/witty/great singer/hot/do-able, etc. And somehow you forget he's human, but instead embellish this idea in your head that's he's perfect. Then someday down the line he/they does something that doesn't quite live up to that image, and you're completely crushed and disappointed. But hopefully, over time, you form a more realistic image in your head, of a rather incredible (but imperfect) guy/band that are amazing but definitely human.
  • QUOTE (poison @ Nov 13 2006, 07:34 PM)
    I agree with you completely, Katy. I think that the thing about Damian specifically and OK Go in general, is that when you first meet him/them, you're completely blown away by how awesome they are. The first time you meet Damian, you walk away thinking he's so amazing/intelligent/funny/witty/great singer/hot/do-able, etc. And somehow you forget he's human, but instead embellish this idea in your head that's he's perfect. Then someday down the line he/they does something that doesn't quite live up to that image, and you're completely crushed and disappointed. But hopefully, over time, you form a more realistic image in your head, of a rather incredible (but imperfect) guy/band that are amazing but definitely human.

EXACTLY. That doesn't deamonise him, or make a judgement about him or any other band member- that just tells it like it is.
  • QUOTE (jedi_grrlie @ Nov 13 2006, 01:31 PM)
    EXACTLY. That doesn't deamonise him, or make a judgement about him or any other band member- that just tells it like it is.

I just think that at the beginning of our superfandom we have a tendency to deify them (make gods), then get burned when we realize that isn't true. And that hurts.
  • QUOTE (poison @ Nov 13 2006, 08:48 PM)
    I just think that at the beginning of our superfandom we have a tendency to deify them (make gods), then get burned when we realize that isn't true. And that hurts.

Basically.

Which, like Sheri says, doesn't mean that they're not sweet guys, 'cause they are. And that doesn't make them constant assholes, either.

Yeah. I feel like I keep saying the same things over and over again, haha.
  • QUOTE (sherib @ Nov 13 2006, 08:28 AM)
    If someone truly is an ass (which I think Damian is not), it's not acceptable, lead singer or no.

Um, I was agreeing that he probably isn't, but pointing out that nobody can really blame him if he were to act like that. 99% of us have met him before or after a show, when he's in "rockstar mode," so it's no big deal if he's a little inflated. Some people even find that more respectable in a lead singer. We're not there to be his best friend and prance around with him, we're there to watch him do his job as a musician, and the simple fact is that most of them just act that way, no matter what. It would be like if you saw Robert Plant or Jim Morrison giving hugs to a bunch of teenies before a show instead of telling them to fuck off and get away from his dressing room. I've seen both sides of Damian (STFU Club, anyone?) but it didn't bother me at all because I saw it coming.
  • QUOTE (poison @ Nov 13 2006, 06:34 PM)

It's like in the beginning of your teen years, when you find out that your Dad isn't the superman, I think that the feeling is kind of the same.
    But it's normal to feel disapointed with a band!We sometimes get disapointed with people that are so much closer to us. We shouldn't judge them for that. I STILL love Damian and Tim and Dan and Rusty. They can be assholes, they can be amazing, they're just humans like us!
  • So, uh, I was just over at the JC forums, and I read this post about last night's DC show, made by Chrisoula:

What a wonderful show and to think his mom reads the forums! Damian mentioned he had dinner with his parents last night and his mom said she had been reading the forums and she was concerned that his fans seem to think he is an asshole. He laughed about that and said "Ma, you've known me all these years, am I an asshole?" Very cute. So ...

Hi Damian's mom! He was very well behaved last night and courteous. (Said by a 39 year old mom)

Ummm. I'm 99% sure his mom has read EVERYTHING we all said about him being a jerk. Because there's been no raging argument about this over at the JC.

blink.gif

laugh.gif
  • Haha, there's probably going to be one when they find their way over here..
  • QUOTE (mixtape @ Nov 21 2006, 12:53 AM)
    Haha, there's probably going to be one when they find their way over here..

Hahaha, probably. laugh.gif

Really. I'm laughing so much about this, it's silly. I'm definitely going to watch what I say, knowing his mom is reading this stuff...
  • Eugh. Now there's going to be like a "HI DAMIENS MOM LOLOZ!!" thread.
  • QUOTE (mixtape @ Nov 21 2006, 01:02 AM)
    Eugh. Now there's going to be like a "HI DAMIENS MOM LOLOZ!!" thread.

Which is just silly, 'cause it's pretty clear she was reading this board...
  • No, I mean I'm afraid they're all going to come over here and try to talk to her and Trish. tongue.gif
  • QUOTE (sherib @ Nov 12 2006, 04:43 PM)
    I personally have a secret wish that the reason they're together all the time is that they're having a secret affair, but I doubt that's true either (damn!! laugh.gif ).

unsure.gif I just like that part... [scoots away]

[reads part about Damian's mom]... [headdesk] Oh man. I am so sorry. Haha. I'm not a perv!!
  • I love it. I about died when I listened to the show again, because I completely missed him talking about that while I was all into the chat. And in the midst of the chat, Karleigh said, "Mrs. Kulash was on the JC today!" and because I hadn't heard him say it, I thought Karleigh had been on the JC and Damian's mom had posted there.

Then when I heard him talking about it I wondered why Karleigh thought she had been on the JC. huh.gif Anyway ...

Pretty funny if she read this thread. Hi, Damian's mom smile.gif smile.gif

QUOTE (nati_face @ Nov 20 2006, 11:46 PM)
    QUOTE(sherib @ Nov 12 2006, 04:43 PM)

I personally have a secret wish that the reason they're together all the time is that they're having a secret affair, but I doubt that's true either (damn!! ).
    unsure.gif I just like that part... [scoots away]

[reads part about Damian's mom]... [headdesk] Oh man. I am so sorry. Haha. I'm not a perv!!
    Hahaha! wink.gif
    I stand by what I said there. biggrin.gif But I do want to state what should be obvious, that I meant no disrespect to their significant others with that ...

[Edit=apparently I couldn't type "disrespect" this morning]