In this Discussion

OK Go tour incidents

edited November -1 in OK Go
I'm compiling a list of things that have happened to OK Go on tour, or things they've done on tour.

The items can be interesting or unusual, or just routine but representative of them.

For example:
- playing in an unusual location or venue
- things that happened while traveling
- kinds of food/beverage/snacks they always eat, or places they always stop
- something funny related to a show/performance
- pre-show or post-show activities of the band in the city they're visiting
- interaction with fans
- rituals they have

The best examples are like when Damian jumped off an amp stack and broke his foot, or when he got arrested in Orlando. I know there must be many more - not all as singular as that, but don't worry about the incident being "good" or not. I'm collecting it all.

If you can tell approximately when it happened (1998-2001, 2002-2005/first album era, 2005-present/Oh No era), that would be helpful but not necessary.

I'm reading Andy's blogs to get some of this, and the tour videos help, but I really wanted to tap the collective memories and knowledge of my fellow boardies, especially you veterans.

You don't need to give a reference to back it up (though that would be appreciated). Just please don't make stuff up. I need these to be true.

If you've told it elsewhere, maybe just give me a link to the prior post. (I'm trying to use good board etiquette here)

Oh, and I'd like to collect all this by April 1 or so.

Thanks!!

Comments

• Hm, someone's got a project underway ... intriguing.
  • Well, for unusual venues, I saw them in the living room of a frat house in Feb. '06. And I know that Damian is always looking for a penny-squasher machine for souvenirs while they're on tour.
  • There's the time in Russia last summer where they hung out in a real dungeon after a show. I think someone gave them archery lessons (?). And this was on Tim's birthday.
  • I'm dying to see where you're going with this! smile.gif How about: Being pelted with mini-footballs before the Michigan/Michgan State football game. Signing Oliver the Reindeer for charity. Getting to perform with Sam Moore on New Year's Eve in Vegas. Oh! Performing with Cheap Trick! I'll keep thinking....

Also, why does my little mind think it was 'knife throwing' in the dungeon in Russia?
  • These are great, guys, keep them coming. (I'll be happy to tell you all about this when it's finished, but for now, you're doing great.)

There was an archery range on one side, and a knife throwing range on the other.

Oh, and I should add another category of tour incidents to get you thinking: "unusual or memorable purchases"
  • They played at a high school in or near Philadelphia on 1/31/07. The school got the show because they got the most contributions for a food drive held by WMMR. (This was mentioned in the WMMR morning show interview.)

Edit: North Penn High School.
  • QUOTE (dietpepsidrunk @ Mar 17 2007, 12:45 PM)
    ... Being pelted with mini-footballs before the Michigan/Michgan State football game. ...

This was one of the first AMW dances I found on youtube but I didn't favorite it at the time. I have been searching for it ever since.

Yay, you gave me the magic search word "Michigan"...and here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-Dcyx1kZZ8
  • every time ok go comes to houston, damian gorges himself on barbeque at his favorite restaurant, and afterwards, he always threatens to blow chunks on the front row of the audience.
  • Damian did a split on stage in Bielefeld, Germany, 2007-18-03!
  • QUOTE (sherib @ Mar 17 2007, 07:18 PM)
    They played at a high school in or near Philadelphia on 1/31/07. The school got the show because they got the most contributions for a food drive held by WMMR. (This was mentioned in the WMMR morning show interview.)

Edit: North Penn High School.

Actually, I was at that show. It was at the Electric Factory, not the high school itself.
  • QUOTE (keaton @ Mar 18 2007, 01:10 AM)
    This was one of the first AMW dances I found on youtube but I didn't favorite it at the time. I have been searching for it ever since.

Yay, you gave me the magic search word "Michigan"...and here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-Dcyx1kZZ8

HA! That is awsome. Damian is so distracted by those little footballs. He messed up quite a bit.

Note to self: At next concert throw stuff at Damian, it's fun to watch.
  • This concert was so much fun! Damian did get pretty distracted by the footballs. I was impressed with his hand-eye coordination (see the Matrix move in the video). It was so cute - during the AMW dance, he was mouthing the words "one, two, three, four" to get back into the dance steps that he missed. biggrin.gif Look at Damian jump!

• QUOTE (dietpepsidrunk @ Mar 18 2007, 08:46 PM)

Damian the Giant!!
  • In Philadelphia, March 25, 2005, Damian had two and a half cheesesteaks and felt like crap. His comment on stage was something to the effect of "Normally I wouldn't eat tons of red meat and cheese whiz right before a show, but 'When in Rome, Fucking Kill Yourself', right?" (that's taken from my blog, I didn't actually remember that for the last two years).
  • QUOTE (dietpepsidrunk @ Mar 19 2007, 02:46 AM)

It REALLY looks like that mic stand is in a rather awkward position for poor Damian...
    Hoisting him up, almost huh.gif
  • QUOTE (Electra @ Mar 19 2007, 09:11 PM)
    It REALLY looks like that mic stand is in a rather awkward position for poor Damian...
    Hoisting him up, almost huh.gif

Oh wow, it does! blink.gif
  • two off the top of my head: a show in ohio many years ago where the club lost power and they performed acoustic by candlelight; the show in glasgow last summer where the club had been shut down and they played a bunch of songs out in the street.
  • QUOTE (Mr. Mr. Mr. Jorge, Whom I Adore, Whom I Adore, Whom I Adore @ Mar 19 2007, 08:25 PM)
    two off the top of my head: a show in ohio many years ago where the club lost power and they performed acoustic by candlelight; the show in glasgow last summer where the club had been shut down and they played a bunch of songs out in the street.

Sweet! Thanks, Mr. Mr. Mr. Jorge, Whom I Adore, Whom I Adore, Whom I Adore - I mean really adore.
    Can't wait to show you what I'm cooking...in fact, just for you, I'll tell you what it is if you agree to help me.

btw, I really like how you write on the web site. Do you read any David Foster Wallace? You sound like you do.
  • Don't forget about the night Damian got arrested in Florida. tongue.gif
  • *bump*

I remember an adorable quote from the recent show in London @ Koko from my friend, toooldforthis:

During the acoustic part, Damian forgot the name of the next song: ".... anyway this is a song from our first album. I don't remember what it's called, but it's about some stuff!" And it was "What to Do". smile.gif