In this Discussion

Knitting thread!

edited November -1 in General Discussion
Every board has to have a knitting thread, yes?

Hey knitters, what are you working on? What lurks in your UFO pile?

Here, I'll start:

On the needles -- Chanel-inspired cardigan. Working with Classic Elite's Classic Silk. I finished the body a few days ago and am about a quarter of the way up the sleeves.

I've been thinking about making Klaus Nomi and OKGO dolls, based on the patterns from Stitch & Bitch Nation...

Comments

• wow you knit? thats awesome.. cool.gif

every winter i start a scarf and i never finish.. my mom ends up taking it and doing it instead.. or it just lays around until i pull it out the next winter haha..
    i think i need to do a more basic knit cuz last time i did a really hard one haha.
  • That's amazing! I've always been in awe of knitters because it's something I've always wanted to do (I can only make scarves. Yeah. And even then I have to keep going because I don't know how to cast off properly).

My friends and I wanted to start a Stitch&Bitch, but none of us can "stitch" really, so we just sat around and bitched.
  • i crotchet
    im usin thin really thin tyedye stuff and im makin a bag i guess
  • QUOTE (tonetoile @ Jun 10 2007, 05:38 AM)
    (I can only make scarves. Yeah. And even then I have to keep going because I don't know how to cast off properly).

Casting off is so easy, though.
  • It's the easy things I never get; I overcomplicate everything.
  • QUOTE (tonetoile @ Jun 9 2007, 11:38 PM)
    That's amazing! I've always been in awe of knitters because it's something I've always wanted to do (I can only make scarves. Yeah. And even then I have to keep going because I don't know how to cast off properly).

I had trouble with bindoffs on my first scarf -- thankfully, it's not that hard.

Here, have a video:

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic...es/bind-off.php

LOL at your "stitch and bitch" session, minus the stitching. laugh.gif
  • Thanks so much! Hopefully this will entice me to actually begin knitting again. It was just a great way to relax when I was backstage in high school during plays.
  • I started a baby sweater for a friend when she had her little girl, who is now 2.

However I recently made my best friend a gorgeous scarf for her birthday out of this fantastic hand-dyed yarn. I actually finished and gave her the gift FOR her birthday. Will wonders never cease? ;-)
  • oo, knitting is the best! im not doing anything at the moment but im thinking of making some really wooly mittens? but i still cant find a good pattern to start from?

have any websites? anyone?

haha, stich and bitch. knitting is definatly an excuse for old ladies to gossip, but who cares? why not a good ol' bitch whilst you knitt.
  • knitting is pretty rad, but i dont think id have the patience for it. I used to latch hook when i was a lill kid, but nothing extraordinary...

we acquired alot of these old kitting books and kits from this old house my parents are fixing up... if yall recommend it ill be sure to give it a go. it seems relaxing tongue.gif
  • QUOTE (o0buttons0o @ Jun 11 2007, 10:02 AM)
    oo, knitting is the best! im not doing anything at the moment but im thinking of making some really wooly mittens? but i still cant find a good pattern to start from?

have any websites? anyone?

Are you looking for beginners or advanced patterns? There are some really nice patterns on Knitty.com and MagKnits, but most of those require some serious knitting skillz. There's a fun book called Hip to Knit that you can get from your library that has a fun mitten pattern.

haha, stich and bitch. knitting is definatly an excuse for old ladies to gossip, but who cares? why not a good ol' bitch whilst you knitt.

Or an excuse for young ladies to gossip. Ask me how I know!
  • You boardies are brilliant. I wanna learn how to knit! Somebody teach me!
  • Yay! A knittng thread. Right now I'm making another double knit scarf like the one I made Tim, but this one is going to have pirate skulls on it.

Tempe, if I could go to Arizona, I'd teach you how to knit in person, but I can't. I learned how to knit online. I just googled knitting and got some needles and yarn and I've been knitting ever since. But I can only make scarves, hats, fingerless gloves, and iPod cozies. I really want to learn how to make a sweater, but it seems really hard.
  • QUOTE (ezorvera @ Jun 12 2007, 07:18 PM)
    Yay! A knittng thread. Right now I'm making another double knit scarf like the one I made Tim, but this one is going to have pirate skulls on it.

Tempe, if I could go to Arizona, I'd teach you how to knit in person, but I can't. I learned how to knit online. I just googled knitting and got some needles and yarn and I've been knitting ever since. But I can only make scarves, hats, fingerless gloves, and iPod cozies. I really want to learn how to make a sweater, but it seems really hard.

Dude, I want to learn how to do fingerless gloves and ipod cozies!!
  • ipod cozies sounds good.
    oo, or crochet kettle covers! they are really nice.

thanks for the websites stany! i shall have a look see tonight!
  • QUOTE (ezorvera @ Jun 12 2007, 07:18 PM)
    Yay! A knittng thread. Right now I'm making another double knit scarf like the one I made Tim, but this one is going to have pirate skulls on it.

You do realize that I put this thread together JUST to get you to post the chart for that, right? smile.gif

I've knitted a metric ass-tonne of sweaters -- okay, so the number is really more like...five or six? If you can make a scarf like the one you made Tim, you can totally make a sweater. No worries. (This is especially true if you knit on circs -- since you're knitting in the round, you would only need to knit until you get to the armholes.)

I'm trying to find a good pattern for an iPod cozy that I can embellish with Prince-related intarsia for a friend of mine. (I'm also trying to think of some Prince-related symbol -- no, not the unpronouncable squiggle he recorded under in the 1990s -- to knit into said iPod cozy.)
  • QUOTE (Stany @ Jun 13 2007, 06:16 AM)
    You do realize that I put this thread together JUST to get you to post the chart for that, right? smile.gif

I've knitted a metric ass-tonne of sweaters -- okay, so the number is really more like...five or six? If you can make a scarf like the one you made Tim, you can totally make a sweater. No worries. (This is especially true if you knit on circs -- since you're knitting in the round, you would only need to knit until you get to the armholes.)

I'm trying to find a good pattern for an iPod cozy that I can embellish with Prince-related intarsia for a friend of mine. (I'm also trying to think of some Prince-related symbol -- no, not the unpronouncable squiggle he recorded under in the 1990s -- to knit into said iPod cozy.)

Haha. I just used some graph paper to figure out the letters and the heart. I don't even know where I put those papers though. I'm pretty sure I didn't throw them away because I thought I could use it in case I needed to know how big to make letters for other scarves.

I figured that the arms would be easy because it's just a tube with some increasing as you go up, but I'm just not sure on how you go from that to the rest of the sweater.

My iPod cozies are really simple. I just knit in the round with double points and then bind off some of the stitches to make a flap. Then I just close up the bottom and add a button. I'm not sure if you could knit a pattern into that though.
  • There's a Techno Cozy pattern in the first Stitch 'n Bitch that I used that works quite well. Except then I got a real iPod cover thinger, so I don't really use it for anything...
  • QUOTE (ezorvera @ Jun 13 2007, 03:29 PM)
    Haha. I just used some graph paper to figure out the letters and the heart. I don't even know where I put those papers though. I'm pretty sure I didn't throw them away because I thought I could use it in case I needed to know how big to make letters for other scarves.

If'n you ever want to scan them, let me know. I have a fairly ambitious plan to make a page of intarsia charts for bands I like (such as the back cover of Television's Marquee Moon and the Klaus Nomi symbol) and an OK Go intarsia chart would add to the fun.

I figured that the arms would be easy because it's just a tube with some increasing as you go up, but I'm just not sure on how you go from that to the rest of the sweater.

Here's how it works. You cast on the number of stitches for your sweater minus four (for the side seams). You put one marker halfway across the sweater, and then another when you reach the end of the round. Once you start knitting, follow the instructions until you get to the armholes. At that point, put half the stitches on a holder and continue knitting the sweater back and forth. If you knit tighter than you purl, then you might want to go with a larger needle. (I usually knit a little hat for a gauge swatch. If I have enough yarn to knit the gauge swatch and the sweater, I put a pom-pom on top and give it to one of my friends as a baby hat.)
  • hey u guys know how ppl knit dolls and such?
    can u crochet dolls?