In this Discussion

What are you listening to right now this second?

Comments

• someone told me she has a kid named panda... or maybe that wasnt her. anyways, i think adam green was the better moldy peach, as a matter of fact....

dance with me- adam green
  • Yeah. She does have a baby girl named Panda Delilah. Weird? Sure. But for some reason, she can pull it off.

I actually never got into Adam Green's solo work (granted I only have Friends of Mine, but still). It was like he never moved on from the Moldy Peaches. Maybe I'm missing something, I don't know.

Kimya though moved onto something completely different. She became quieter and more attached. All of her albums (excluding Hidden Vagenda) were recorded outside of the studio, using only her guitar and whatever friends were willing to sing along with a harmony. It's quiet and intimate and calming. The lyrics can be a bit over-the-top, but when I listen to her, it's a very calming thing: it's OK to be hurt and sad and upset, things get better and it's human to hurt or be scared. It's just a matter of overcoming it.

Like on Singing Machine on Hidden Vagenda, her lyrics go: "Doesn't matter what you look like. Doesn't matter what you sound like. Doesn't matter if they like you, just remember to be kind. And tell someone you miss them and tell someone you need them and tell someone you wish you could be with them all the time. Sounds silly but it's not a game; making music makes me sane. I sing away my pain and everything turns out OK. I'm not talking fame and glory, 'cause that's a different story. The story is about how truth and love can save the day."

Yeah, it's a little silly sounding with "truth and love can save the day," but I love it. It's hopeful and exactly what I want to remember when I'm feeling scared or alone.
  • narc - interpol
    this place is a prison - postal service

i'm totally obsessed with both of those.

tonetoile, this kimya chick sounds interesting.. i think i'll check her out! cool.gif
  • She's super-good. However, her voice takes some getting used to as it's a bit odd-sounding (I find it beautiful, but I know some of my friends are impartial). My boyfriend described her as having the, "if she wants to, she'll do it, whether or not it sounds perfect." Like, on a few of her songs, a friend of hers plays violin. It's not perfect by any means, but she gave it a try anyway.

I'd recommend starting with the album Remember that I Love You, though the songs on Hidden Vagenda are probably her most impactful (especially I Will Never Forget which, in my opinion, is the best song she's ever written).

P.S. I am rediscovering Postal Service and I forgot how much I loved them.
  • young and aspiring - underoath
  • One More Night -- Probably Vampires

They're very good, they are . . .
  • Right now I'm listening to the whir of the computer and the sound of the dog's collar as she stirs in her sleep.

I've been listening to the Spring Awakening OBC all day and have "Totally Fucked" stuck in my head.
  • The only song I know from Spring Awakening is The Bitch of Living 'cause it was on the Tonys.

I kind of really want to see Grey Gardens as the Edies are awesome. And it has singing! Also, Spring Awakening tickets will most likely not be available until next year since everyone loves it (and rightly so)
  • im listening to Maroon 5

and watching!!!

its the live performance on MSN.

biggrin.gif
  • ^ ekkk! i wanted to watch that last night... but i had to do a stupid assignment....sad.gif

"Below the funk (pass the joint)" by rick james
  • ive been in a black rebel motorcycle mood inexplicably these past days

but alas i had to change it up

tell the king0 the libertines
  • better - regina spektor
  • Little Motel- Modest Mouse
  • the walk - imogen heap
  • so im back to brmc

complicated situation- black rebel motorcycle club
  • black rose dying - blessthefall

[i like screamo... idk why]
  • grace kelly - mika --- he sings really good