In this Discussion

Knitting thread!

Comments

• QUOTE (GirlInTheDark @ Jul 5 2007, 12:32 AM)
    hey u guys know how ppl knit dolls and such?
    can u crochet dolls?

You can crochet dolls. I don't know enough about crochet to advise you, but there's a Japanese trend called "amigrumi" that involves knitting dolls shaped like people and animals. If you Google "amigrumi" you can turn up some interesting stuff!

Rock that hook, Girl! cool.gif
  • I'm working on a baby afghan right now, or rather I should be. She's making the baby faster than I'm making the afghan I'm afraid. I put a row of penguins along the bottom. It was pretty hard knitting with multiple colors. The yarn gets all twisted. Lemme see if I can't scrounge up a pic of the test swatch I did.

I ditched the green because I couldn't find a similar weight green yarn that I liked. And those there are purple, the real ones are black.
  • i want to make a gryffindor (maroon and gold) scarf!!!!

and i'd love to make like two or three scarves as xmas presents (yes i think that far in advance)
    however, i have no idea how to deal with two colors..
    hell i can't even knit with one.. sigh i think i should watch that video to get motivated.
  • ^^
    aww that sounds awesome!!!

maybe a scarf for ur kool friend angela? hahah, jk jk

i started knitting, i guess...my mom's friend showed my how

i totally suck and gave up...there goes 20 bucks, ahhh, i waste money...
  • QUOTE (amberdino @ Jul 16 2007, 02:13 AM)
    i want to make a gryffindor (maroon and gold) scarf!!!!

If it's like stripes (yeah, here's my HP ignorance showing) then that isn't too hard. For horizontal stripes you just knit one color and then when you're ready to change colors at the start of the next row you bring in the color and drop the old color like you would if you were starting a new skein. Vertical strips are basically the same thing except you knit them on a circular needle and work the long edge of the scarf instead of the short one.

But if it's like a crest or any kind of design where you have to have both colors on the same row yeah that get tricky. The two colors get all twisted. Like, that's just how it works. It doesn't matter how careful you are. They untwist on the next row. But you have the carry the color you're not using across the back, and the back side looks really bad. I hated every second of penguin row. Unfortunately I have another one planned for the end.
  • yeah its basically just maroon and gold horizontal stripes..
    so i mean it shouldn't be TOO HARD i suppose.. if i do a basic knit..
    i dunno i think i should start with just one color first.

but i have no time right now! sad.gif
    so sad..

and vinnie, if i learn to knit scarves that look decent, i'll make you one smile.gif
  • I remember a few years ago, when I was 12, I really wanted to knit, and all I watched were knitting shows.
  • Damn, we need a "finished objects jamboree" over here.
  • Christy!! I took a picture of it!! I may not get it downloaded and then uploaded and posted until I get back, but it exists.

Also the girl had her baby Saturday... her shower was supposed to be today. How Rude!!
  • i'm working on a scarf finally!
    its just a solid brown one thats like.. you switch off between sticking the needle to the front and then to the back every two times or whatever so it has like ridges sorta? i dunno i can't explain.. but i'm making it for my best friend as a present, so i hope it turns out okay!
  • That's called ribbing. It's very stretchy. They use it a lot for like cuffs on sleeves, or the bottom of hats and such.

• I wanna knit!!

What's the difference between crocheting, and knitting?
    I should be learning to crochet in a fashion class I'm taking this year...will I be able to make scarves and fingerless gloves by crocheting? Or should I also try to learn how to knit (which I plan on, but who knows when)?
  • QUOTE (Wolf359 @ Aug 28 2007, 12:23 PM)
    That's called ribbing. It's very stretchy. They use it a lot for like cuffs on sleeves, or the bottom of hats and such.

ah yes, good job!
    i hope i actually finish this in time to give it to my best friend for this religious holiday majigger.
    wolffiiieee its almost vegas time for you!! smile.gif

QUOTE (nostabenitsirhc @ Aug 28 2007, 01:37 PM)
    I wanna knit!!

What's the difference between crocheting, and knitting?
    I should be learning to crochet in a fashion class I'm taking this year...will I be able to make scarves and fingerless gloves by crocheting? Or should I also try to learn how to knit (which I plan on, but who knows when)?

crochet uses one needle while knitting using two.
    end of knit/crochet knowledge. haha
    crochet is cool though!!
  • Hmm. I didn't know that.

Is one easier than the other?
  • QUOTE (amberdino @ Aug 28 2007, 06:57 PM)
    wolffiiieee its almost vegas time for you!! smile.gif

ACK!! I know. I haven't even started to pack!!! I have 13 hours before I need to head to the airport!!! (and I'd like to sleep at least a little before then!!!!)

Anyway, here's a blankie with penguins!!!

Oh, and here's why I'm not packed yet (better pictures to follow.... perhaps when I get back!!

• Aww, that blanket is great!!
    And nice car! biggrin.gif
    I hope you have lots of fun in Vegas!!
  • QUOTE (nostabenitsirhc @ Aug 28 2007, 08:23 PM)
    Hmm. I didn't know that.

Is one easier than the other?

There are two points of view to that question, honestly. Some people think it's easier to knit, others think crocheting is the way to go. Personally I prefer to knit, but that's what I learned first.

And you can knit anything that can be crocheted, at least in terms of specific finished products. They're just going to look different.
  • QUOTE (DJRose @ Aug 29 2007, 10:39 AM)
    There are two points of view to that question, honestly. Some people think it's easier to knit, others think crocheting is the way to go. Personally I prefer to knit, but that's what I learned first.

And you can knit anything that can be crocheted, at least in terms of specific finished products. They're just going to look different.

Hmm. Well, since I plan on learning both, I'll figure out what I think is easier. Thanks biggrin.gif

How do they look different? Can people tell if it was knitted or crocheted, and not just that it looks different?

Sorry, I don't know much about this.
  • QUOTE (nostabenitsirhc @ Aug 29 2007, 02:07 PM)
    Hmm. Well, since I plan on learning both, I'll figure out what I think is easier. Thanks biggrin.gif

How do they look different? Can people tell if it was knitted or crocheted, and not just that it looks different?

Sorry, I don't know much about this.

Hmm, well, I can generally tell. Usually things that are crocheted look lacier. Does that make sense?

This is a sampler of crochet work
    image image

This is an example of basic knitting.