In this Discussion

OK Go at Truman State University

Comments

• QUOTE (Beasle @ Nov 16 2007, 01:23 AM)
    For the show at Butler it said no cameras for the hall it was at, but they didn't even check anyones purses....so you could very well get away with it! Or put the camera in your back pocket of your jeans and make sure your shirt covers it....haha that's how I got a camera into the Maroon 5 concert at the Palace (where the Pistons play) because they DID check everyone's purses smile.gif

Enjoy the show and PLEASE please please share every detail with us!

Another excellent idea.
  • my trick is to always put it in the little special secret compartments of my purse... always works smile.gif

man i wanna go.
  • Found a somewhat interesting article on how Truman Univ got OK Go to perform next month.

One of the highlights is this: "The agent that we work through, he tells us if they're easy to work with: 'This is how long their contracts usually take. This is what they ask for,'" Larson said. "We were kind of expecting [OK Go to be picky], ... but in the preliminary rider they mentioned that they want things like socks - argyle socks - six pairs. And mild salsa. One. Not 10." (the bold is my own change)

If you'd like to read the article, click link one and link two.

I just thought it was funny/odd/quirky that they wanted argyle socks. Then suddenly I thought that I should bring a few pairs with me to throw onstage at some point during the show. I'm still thinking it over.
  • Does anyone know if there is going to be an opening act or if it's just going to be the guys?
  • QUOTE (ezorvera @ Nov 1 2007, 04:36 PM)
    That sucks!

It's up on High Road's site again too.

I know! Sooo frustrating, they always seem to do that!

QUOTE (beckysioux @ Nov 16 2007, 05:02 PM)
    Found a somewhat interesting article on how Truman Univ got OK Go to perform next month.

One of the highlights is this: "The agent that we work through, he tells us if they're easy to work with: 'This is how long their contracts usually take. This is what they ask for,'" Larson said. "We were kind of expecting [OK Go to be picky], ... but in the preliminary rider they mentioned that they want things like socks - argyle socks - six pairs. And mild salsa. One. Not 10." (the bold is my own change)

If you'd like to read the article, click link one and link two.

I just thought it was funny/odd/quirky that they wanted argyle socks. Then suddenly I thought that I should bring a few pairs with me to throw onstage at some point during the show. I'm still thinking it over.

That is rather hilarious, I love argyle though, so I can't argue with that, at work when we're joking on the radio (we communicate via walkie-talkie a lot) we always call for a "code argyle" and from now on, that'll make me think of OK Go

QUOTE (Tapegrl =D @ Nov 16 2007, 07:17 PM)
    How about...argyle buttons? image

those are supertastic! I want one!
  • QUOTE (Tapegrl =D @ Nov 17 2007, 12:17 AM)
    How about...argyle buttons? image

Geez if thats all it takes to get them im gunna get a truckload full and give them the address to my house!
    (Heidi I will be sending you a plane ticket lol.)
  • LOL that'd be so cool if you really did that. man, I'm late in replying to this thread.
  • So, is anyone going to Truman on Friday?
  • Sorry if this was already posted somewhere else:

OK Go lead singer talks tour, dance
    Truman State University Index
    Issue date: 12/6/07

http://media.www.trumanindex.com/media/sto...e-3134956.shtml
  • I saw the boys less than 48 hours ago and I wish soooo bad I could see them tonight again sad.gif Boo Michigan.
  • QUOTE (Beasle @ Dec 7 2007, 11:20 AM)
    I saw the boys less than 48 hours ago and I wish soooo bad I could see them tonight again sad.gif Boo Michigan.

ditto ditto dittoooooooo sad.gif i hate Michigan
  • The Truman Show, heh.

Anyway, I managed to get to Kirksville, MO from North Chicago, IL in 5 hours and 45 minutes. It should have taken 6 and a half to 7 hours. I guess I have a lead foot.

Before I even stopped at my hotel, I went straight to the university and picked up my tickets. It was a little hard finding my way around the school, but I managed to find the Pershing Arena and the parking lot (which was really hard to locate). Then hopped back in my car and drove to the hotel, dropped off my stuff, took a shower to get the road grime off me and headed back to the school. When I got back there, there was a line about 50 people deep. The doors opened at 6:15 and we all got searched. I did manage to sneak both cameras in, but I didn't take any pictures (will explain below). I hightailed it to the gym and got a nice spot in Andy central. I was behind one person, but she was short so I didn't have any obstructions of viewing bliss in silver pants.

The opening band was Office from Chicago. They were actually pretty damn good and very entertaining. I especially liked "If You Don't Know By Now". There was a very large amount of cow bell. And the drummer was freakin' rad. The only thing I didn't like was the one guitarist got on top of Dan's bass drum and jumped off of it. In the standing on top of it, he managed to make the rim on the bottom a little bit flat. Other than that, great opening.

In between sets, Dan had to reset his drum kit as the Office drummer had used it for their set. It was really quite interesting to see how each drummer likes their kit set up differently. If I were able to take pictures of the assembly, I would have.

Ooh, I forget to mention that there was a bat in the gym. I thought that the lights were in my eyes, or there was dust, or something completely different than a bat. But, there was a bat flying around the gym during both sets. I don't think either of the bands noticed it flyin' around.

Finally the lights go down and out walks bliss in silver pants, er, Andy. Same set as at Northwestern. I really, really wanted to take pics of bliss in silver pants, but the gestapo were right in front of me. Boo-urns to that. And since I had a very, very good spot, I didn't want to risk getting booted or have my camera confiscated. So, instead I enjoyed the show. I just felt sorry for the people around me as I was a little too happy in my dancing. Ah well.

For most of the show I was of course mesmerized by bliss in silver pants, but every now and again he would look directly at me and smile just a little. Of course, I could be delusional, but seriously, that would be supercool. Perhaps he remembered me from Northwestern, or he spotted my neato robot shirt, or he was thinking that girl has had too much caffeine and shouldn't be bopping around like that, she could hurt someone. I'm inclined to believe that he remembered me and my dorky question about numbers. And besides, who wouldn't want to be singled out in a crowd and smiled at by bliss in silver pants?

Anyway, aside from gazing at bliss, I did steal away glances from Tim and Damian. Again, Dan was behind the drum kit, so no lookie-loo. Damian had made a comment about looking up Truman State on wikipedia and saying that they called themselves the "Harvard of the Midwest". Got a ginormous laugh from the crowd. He also said he felt gipped that there was no wikipedia when he went to school, he wouldn't have had to have worked as hard. Then he said, nah, he would have done all the work because he was a nerd. Then he commented that the entire band were nerds. Much applause ensued. He also talked about voting and that Kirksville is in a red state. The audience went boo. Damian said that we shouldn't care about being blue or red, but that we vote for someone that would stop abusing our tax dollars and sending our young to get killed. Don't quote him on that as I can't remember his exact wording, but that's the gist of it.

During their acoustic set I just had to yell glockenspiel because I'm a dork like that. And for whatever reason, Damian called bliss, Andrew. It was pretty awesome. He also called Tim, Mr. Nord-vind.

Once back on stage, after It's a Disaster, Damian made a note that it was Ricky's(sp?) (the girl who sells their merchandise) birthday. So we all sang happy birthday to her. She's only 24. How does one get a gig like that? Seriously. I wanna know.

They finished their set and started their encore with the light up jackets. However, Damian started on DWYW instead of the ELO cover, like at Northwestern. I thought, oh well, just one song for the encore instead of two. But then I see Damian go talk to Tim. I couldn't see what Damian was saying, but I could read Tim's lips, "Oh, you forgot the cover?" Tim shrugged it off and went back to the mic for the back-up vocals on DWYW. So, again I thought, they weren't gonna do it.

Alas, Damian said that for those who voted for ELO, they'd do it for them. In the middle, Damian took off his jacket and picked up a cordless mic. The cordless didn't work, so he had to go back to the wired mic with attached camera. He jumped off stage, onto the gate that separated us from the stage, just to my left. What does that mean? It means that I was finally able to touch Damian. Okay, I got to feel his tie, his very sweat-ed through shirt and his calf. So, now I just need to feel Tim and Dan. Right. That sounds bad.

Then the show was over. They bowed. Bliss threw his picks into the audience. I think he was aiming for me (again, delusional), but they all went to the left, so I got none. Boo-urns again.

I attempted to stay after the show to get a picture with the other three, but there was no one else waiting for them and they were doing a meet and greet, so I had no idea when they would be leaving the gym. Plus I chickened out. So, I headed back to my hotel room and promptly feel asleep with visions of bliss dancing through my head.

All in all, the trip was well worth it. Even the speeding citation I got on the way home (first speeding ticket EVER). Though I'm glad it happened on the way home, instead of on the way to the show.

I am kinda bummed that I got zero pics/picks. But, yeah, still totally worth it.

And dur, I'm such a fangirl. In the 7+ hours it took to get home, I popped on my Christmahanakwanzakuh playlist on my iPod and listed to Silver Bells. Though, instead of Silver Bells, I was singng Silver Pants. It kinda went like this:

Silver Pants, Silver Pants
    It's Rusty Ross in the city
    Ring-a-ling, hear him sing
    Soon it will be a blissful day

Yes, odd quirky things happen in the head of a slightly delusional fangirl after driving for 4 hours with no rest stop.

Ok, I'm done now. Hope you enjoyed my story. And that you think of Mr. Ross as bliss in silver pants.
  • laugh.gif Sounds like you had a great time! and I love your song btw.
  • oooo! awesome write-up!

This:
    He also talked about voting and that Kirksville is in a red state. The audience went boo. Damian said that we shouldn't care about being blue or red, but that we vote for someone that would stop abusing our tax dollars and sending our young to get killed.

made me so happy.

Thank you!
  • AMAZING!
    Cannot believe you drove all that way by yourself!

But I guess this -
    Finally the lights go down and out walks bliss in silver pants, er, Andy.

totally makes up for it?! smile.gif
  • QUOTE (beckysioux @ Dec 8 2007, 10:19 PM)
    All in all, the trip was well worth it. Even the speeding citation I got on the way home (first speeding ticket EVER). Though I'm glad it happened on the way home, instead of on the way to the show.

I am kinda bummed that I got zero pics/picks. But, yeah, still totally worth it.

Ahhh same thing happened to me! 85 in a 70...whooops! While the cop took my ID back to his car to write me a fucking ticket...Katie and I were just sitting there and then she was like 'Welp...' and gets out her camera so we can go through our pictures again, haha. Seriously did not phase me one bit...it is actually the best time to get a ticket because nothing can bring you down after seeing OK Go front row.

ANYWAYS...the show sounded FANTASTIC. Bummer no pictures, but you got so many good ones from NU so that's still awesome.I'm so glad you had a good time, you lucky lucky girl! The story about Wikipedia is hilarious...he would.
  • QUOTE (beckysioux @ Dec 8 2007, 07:19 PM)
    Ooh, I forget to mention that there was a bat in the gym. I thought that the lights were in my eyes, or there was dust, or something completely different than a bat. But, there was a bat flying around the gym during both sets. I don't think either of the bands noticed it flyin' around.

I read someone's write-up for a Demetri Martin show there a couple of weeks ago and they also mentioned the bat! You'd think they'd do something about that-- you know, rabies and all. Maybe I'm just paranoid? Regardless, I wish whoever plans shows for their campus would transfer to a school in Northern California so I can partake of some of this fun. Sounds like an awesome time, Beckysioux!
  • Thanks for the recap, beckysioux! That was fun to read. I can't believe Office opened for them - HOW AWESOME!

Yay for the silver pants.
  • QUOTE (beckysioux @ Dec 8 2007, 07:19 PM)
    Silver Pants, Silver Pants
    It's Rusty Ross in the city
    Ring-a-ling, hear him sing
    Soon it will be a blissful day

That's my new holiday song.

That was a fantastic write-up! Sucks about the pictures. Camera nazis are the worst. Also, I love that you say boo-urns.