In this Discussion

The Nominations

Comments

• QUOTE (tonetoile @ Mar 4 2008, 05:55 PM)
    OK, maybe it was pushing it a bit, but no one would raise this kind of hubbub when talking about how none of the democratic candidates wanted Joe Lieberman's endorsement (and he ended up endorsing McCain). No one.

I just want to say that Joe Lieberman makes me ashamed to be a Jew from Connecticut. Srsly.
  • I, as a feminist of sorts, would LOVE to see a woman as president. A DIFFERENT woman! One who I feel is trustworthy, and doesn't function solely (or should I say soullessly) for political gain. For people who want to know more about this pioneer for the feminist movement, I would like to recommend a book called "The Case Against Hillary Clinton" by Peggy Noonan. It is a biographical compilation of the woman, that spells out her disgusting motivations, and (if you have a conscience) might make you sick. I think, even if I don't agree with some of Obama's policies, he can be held to his promise to uphold the will of the people. So I voted for him.
  • Cadillac! You haven't been on in a VERY long time! How's it going?
  • ^^ seriously!! We haven't seen you in literally forever!
    nice to have you back, though? biggrin.gif

Amy, thanks for your "report" about Al Sharpton- I really don't know much about him, but I agree with alot of that stuff, and he sounds pretty interesting (in a good way)

And I, personally, LOVE how you've gotten this debate really going, even if you had to play devil's advocate and sound like a staunch Hillary-supporter. It's been way more interesting than an Obama-love-fest, and it's really helped me to figure out where I stand on a lot of this stuff.
    So thank you!

and Rachel, hahaha, I don't think Connecticut Jews need to take responsibility for Joe Lieberman- as far as I'm concerned, he's a freak accident and doesn't reflect badly on anyone but himself. (and whoever he endorses, I suppose.)
  • QUOTE (tonetoile @ Mar 8 2008, 08:09 AM)
    Cadillac! You haven't been on in a VERY long time! How's it going?

It's going weirdly. I made a list in the Random Stuff thread, and I'm too lazy to write it all out again.
    I'm alright, but I have missed your witty banter.

TODAY IS WYOMING's TURN! ...So if you live in Wyoming, go vote! Please?

• Hah, I saw the Random threat after I posted this greeting. I'm so happy to hear that you're doing well and welcome back!
    I don't know if I'd call it "witty banter" more than "hey, I'm just kind of awkward, but that's 'in' now, so awesome!"
  • Cadillac, wow. I'd never actually heard of thatr book until you posted, and I just bought it yesterday because of you. I've only just begun it, but it's really deep. Thank you for suggesting it!

I am very proud of John McCain. Once again, a crazy Neocon has gone nuts over Obama's name, but this time it was rep Steve King of Iowa. And once again, John McCain has distanced himself from the comments and disavowed him. Maybe we don't agree with McCain's policies, but he has truly shown himself to be a good man of integrity; I really think his little bomb Iran song was in a moment of senior silliness, and that at heart, he's a better person than we give him credit for. People have been saying the Republicans will play dirty, but it looks like only 1 person has been insulting, fear-mongering, lying, distorting and smearing: her name rhymes with "Bill." Yeah, Hill.

Because, well, if you want to say McCain's show of good will is calculated, compare him to Hillary. On 60 Minutes, she was asked if she believed Obama is a Muslim. She said "I'll take him on his word that he's not. As far as I know, he's not." Flip that around, and imagine Obama being asked if Hillary rapes babies- "I'll take it on her word that she doesn't rape babies. As far as I know, she doesn't rape babies." Clearly, her comment cast a certain degree of doubt on the statement that he isn't. And that's fear-mongering. She could have said, "No, he's not, and religion doesn't matter." But, nope, she didn't.

It's infuriating. Hillary is chin-deep in scandals and indictments (INDICTMENTS, not merely acting as a witness about a lawn) but Obama doesn't bring them up b/c he wants to stay clean and create a new culture of clean politics. But Hillary takes advantage of everything she can.

And that isn't even what gets me. What gets me is that she blatantly said the other day that John McCain has experience and is ready to be commander-in-chief, and that she has experience and is ready to be commander-in-chief but that Obama has only a speech and "you'll have to ask him" about his readiness.
    And that means this: Hillary Clinton is the first person in the history of the United States to publically put the other party's candidate above her fellow party's contendor for the nomination. The first. In history. She has actually said McCain is more ready than my fellow Democrat. She's serious;y, actually put her party aside to get herself ahead. Joe Lieberman's case would be similar, but when he did that, he had already declared himself an independent. So yeah, she's the first in history.
    Today on Meet the Press Tom Dashele said that what Hillary is doing will really hurt the party come November, when all the opposition has to do is quote Hillary saying McCain is better than Obama.

Btw, Nancy Pelosi just met with the Clinton camp and scolded them for the 3 AM commercial as fear-mongering. They ignored her. Ah, Nancy- I've been one of your biggest fans for 5 years now and every day you keep making me admire you more. This is the woman I'd be proud to have represent me: President Nancy Pelosi.
  • QUOTE (cadillac64 @ Mar 8 2008, 01:45 AM)
    I, as a feminist of sorts, would LOVE to see a woman as president. A DIFFERENT woman! One who I feel is trustworthy, and doesn't function solely (or should I say soullessly) for political gain. For people who want to know more about this pioneer for the feminist movement, I would like to recommend a book called "The Case Against Hillary Clinton" by Peggy Noonan. It is a biographical compilation of the woman, that spells out her disgusting motivations, and (if you have a conscience) might make you sick. I think, even if I don't agree with some of Obama's policies, he can be held to his promise to uphold the will of the people. So I voted for him.

Peggy Noonan is a wonderful political writer. Plus she graduated from my college. And welcome back, cadallac!
  • Obama won Wyoming! Hurrah! I was initially a Ron Paul supporter, based solely on policy, but he didn't seem to be able to defend himself from the other candidates. So, I don't know how well he would have done in office, if he wasn't even able to demand that people take him seriously during the primaries. I liked Mike Huckabee, too. I didn't agree with most of his policy, but I felt like he would listen and act according to the will of the people, and that he genuinely cared for the country.
    Plus he's a pretty good basist. I would have loved to see an Obama / Huckabee race. I have a really bad feeling about McCain. The things I've read about him make him seem really unappealing. The whole business about his late ex wife is upsetting. I think he should teach military tactics or something. Now, I've never been in the military, but I know several people who have. My stepbrother is in Iraq right now, actually. But I know that during their training, they are desensitized to
    the idea of killing another human being; they are taught not to care, so that they can kill more efficiently and without the natural emotional guilt that humans are meant to feel at causing the loss of another life. I don't want someone who has been conditioned not to care running our country. Military leaders don't always make good presidents.
  • Obama won Wyoming! Hurrah! I was initially a Ron Paul supporter, based solely on policy, but he didn't seem to be able to defend himself from the other candidates. So, I don't know how well he would have done in office, if he wasn't even able to demand that people take him seriously during the primaries. I liked Mike Huckabee, too. I didn't agree with most of his policy, but I felt like he would listen and act according to the will of the people, and that he genuinely cared for the country.
    Plus he's a pretty good basist. I would have loved to see an Obama / Huckabee race. I have a really bad feeling about McCain. The things I've read about him make him seem really unappealing. The whole business about his late ex wife is upsetting. I think he should teach military tactics or something. Now, I've never been in the military, but I know several people who have. My stepbrother is in Iraq right now, actually. But I know that during their training, they are desensitized to
    the idea of killing another human being; they are taught not to care, so that they can kill more efficiently and without the natural emotional guilt that humans are meant to feel at causing the loss of another life. I don't want someone who has been conditioned not to care running our country. Military leaders don't always make good presidents.

Also, Tabatha, I hope you enjoy the book. It's good to be enformed.

...I had no idea OkGo fans were so politically active.
  • QUOTE (Tabetha @ Mar 9 2008, 11:37 AM)
    Joe Lieberman's case would be similar, but when he did that, he had already declared himself an independent. So yeah, she's the first in history.

Joe Lieberman hasn't been a Democrat since he lost the VP bid. He is against separation of church and state (which, seeing as he claims to be a Jew, is seriously f-ed up), sides with the Bush administration at every possible turn, etc. He is a disgrace to all he claims to represent. THAT's why the Dems voted him out in the primary that year - because he had already put his party aside to get himself ahead long before the election or declaring himself to be an independent.

• Ugh, no wonder you dislike him so much, Rachie. Soon he'll be gone and you'll have someone who truly represents you smile.gif

Also, another one of my heroes is off my list. Geraldine Ferraro has been my hero since I was 9 years old. I actually, at 9 years old, named my fish Geraldine Ferraro, in honor of her. It was a purple beta fish. Anyway, a few weeks ago she wrote an article about how the superdelagates are wiser than the rest of us and that's why they should pick the nominee. It was shockingly undemocratic but I know she supports Hillary (altho she hasn't really given a reason why) so I shrugged it off. But now she's said that Obama is only winning b/c he's black, and that I can't shrug off. That's just sick.

I need new heroes. No, I don't- I already have new ones. Nancy Pelosi, Damian Kulash, Rusty Ross, and Barack Obama.
  • I take back everything nice I said about that old man.
    Oh, the race game- he loves it. His campaign forwarded to reporters an article discussing Rev. Wright's speeches.
    I'm so angry I don't even know what to call him, except hateful old man, hateful, hateful, hateful, wretched and cruel McCain.

Since when were we our pastor's keeper? Would anyone in their right minds associate Catholics with the child molestation of their priests? No, yet Obama somehow must answer for his priest's speeches. It's the message of God that is why we choose a church, not because of the guy who happens to upkeep the place.

And you know what? There's nothing Rev. Wright said that can't be understood in context. How can anyone deny that a black man is more likely to get stopped by a cop, that blacks have much higher rates of infant mortality and poverty, that life for a black man is usually much worse than for a white man in the same position. Are we going to deny that this nation has one of the most heinous, if not the absolute worst, racist history when it comes to skin pigment? That we continued slavery when even Europe disavowed it? I'm not saying we have to agree with Rev. Wright- but it's deplorable that instead of understanding it, people have the boldness to label it utterly in the wrong. You know what, America? The man has a point!

And Rev. Wright. Just what do you think you are doing? Are you intentionally trying to destroy this campaign? Was it really necessary to give this last hurrah? Your old speeches made would have gone away, but you inflamed everything by talking again. Why?To denigrate Hillary and focus on Obama's blackness? To say all of this when he's already under ridiculous scrutiny for patriotism, and when he's trying- he's trying so hard! - to transcend race and unify us? What is wrong with you?! Are you so self-absorbed that you had to say all of this now?

Aie. This is all too much for me. Plus I have 3 papers to write, one 4 pages, one 12 pages, and one 20 pages.
  • I just wanted to say that I really loved Barack's speech yesterday. YAY for Philly!
  • I was listening to the radio the other day (NPR, obviously haha)

and they were talking about how McCain keeps firing/disowning/distancing himself from people in his campaign who are trying to smear-campaign Obama.

And it's really an ingenious plan on McCain's part-

the hateful, awful, miserable lies etc. still get out there to the public
    but he gets to act all sanctimonious and have nothing to do with them.
    so he wins no matter what.

also, though, I find it interesting that people in his campaign are focusing more on trying to hurt Obama than Clinton...

• They say Condeleeza Rice is being considered for McCain's running mate.
    I think it's a fascinating idea.

Hillary didn't do much as first lady but the usual tea parties, after she failed to reform healthcare (this all wonderfully verified in the documents that were just released on court order after a judicial watch dog group went to bat). But Condoleeza Rice is, on the other hand, quite the accomplished, independent woman. I have to say, I've always really admired her. I hate, absolutely abhor, the things she does- ppl say Bush depends on Cheney and Rove and the old man set, but I think he definitely would have less clout if it weren't for Rice. She's smart. She's extremely smart. If you watch her being questioned, this woman can really think fast on her feet, and she dominates every dialog she's in. I hate the things she does but I have to admire how she does them. People say Obama speaks well, but Rice would be quite the debating master, and it would be interesting to see those two talk. Rice wouldn't cry to get votes, or appeal to a comedy show (like a certain someone): Rice is waaay too smart to need to do that.

I would never vote for a Rice and McCain team, but I think having her as a running mate would really transform this election. It would reach a whole new level of philosophical debate with her- it would be an intellectual election instead of a "omg, his pastor, omg the media is sexist" circus, which is tiring now. It would be an incredibly thought-provoking election. My dream team is Obama-Edwards and I would love to see a conversation by them with McCain-Rice.

Also, with Rice, the people who are voting based on gender would have to think about actual issues, and the people who are obsessed with race (ie Ferraro) would have to stop.
  • This has absolutely nothing to do with anything, but I was amused. Here is a picture of Obama and his grandfather. It's a cute pic, but the most interesting part is the kid behind them throwing a stick:
  • Why is it that when Hill Clinton tells a *huge* lie about running from sniper fire- which is an insult to the soldiers protecting her and the soldiers today who really do run from sniper fire- nobody cares? But when Obama's pastor- not Obama himself but another, different person- has some angry moments in his 20 years as a spiritual leader, everybody harps about it? And nobody even bothers to read the whole sermon and understand the context, but just repeat soundbites of the angriest moments. And this man used to be a marine, and lived under Jim Crow himself and isn't afraid to tell it like it, that there *is* discrimination against blacks in this country.
    And why is it that when priests of the Catholic Church molest children, nobody blames Catholics but somehow Obama is here at fault for belonging to his church (which didn't do anything wrong in the first place, and neither did Wright)?
  • Yay! Just when I think "meh" about McCain again, he goes and proves me wrong. Today he said that Obama is "absolutely qualified" to be president. I know it might seem like a calculated attempt to be nice, but being nice is a risky calculation and the better way would have been for him to attack. Instead, he chose to be honest and good. He even pledged to make the general election a "respectful" one. And he does these things completely on his own. Around 20% of Obama supporters say they'll vote McCain if Hill gets the nomination, and right now, I'm definitely part of that 20%. I mean, what a contrast- Hill said she and McCain were ready to be commander-in-chief, but not Obama: she dismissed her own party just to attack Obama. She hasn't had a single noble moment, not a single one at all. All she does is lie, from her story about running from sniper fire to her story about Chelsea jogging by the towers on 9/11 to her story about a preganant woman turned away from a hospital, she completelky makes things up. And when given the opportunity to be honoroble, she has "as far as I know" moments. Meanwhile, McCain's moments of nobility and honor keep adding up. He said, moreover, that his "100 years" comment was a figure of speech, and I think it was. Go Obama! But if we can't have Obama, please God, no Kyle-Lieberman-loving, don't-bother-to-read-the-NIE, pledged-delegetes-aren't-really-pledged Hill Clinton.
  • QUOTE (Tabetha @ Apr 6 2008, 04:33 PM)
    she dismissed her own party just to attack Obama.

Sally, you know I think you're great, but don't you realize that your post just did the exact same thing? You're dismissing the party just because you don't like Hillary.

There is nothing worse than another 4 years of Republican Rule. McCain's policies are to "stay the course" and continue things as they have been in the Bush administration.