In this Discussion

what is your favorite ok go song?

13»

Comments

• 1. Television, Television

2. Oh Lately It's So Quiet

3. 1000 miles per hour
  • bye bye baby and oh my little kitten, cause I'm into cats.
    meow.
  • Mine change all the time, but currently I can't get enough of No Sign of Life and Good Idea at the Time. They're just so....yummy.
  • Hello I'm new to this board! I didn't know there was a separate forum from the Juggling Club message board! I'm guessing this forum is more popular than Juggling Club?! rolleyes.gif

I'm fairly new fan of OK Go. I like all their songs but at the mo my favourite is Let it Rain, it's a beautiful song I kinda play rather rough cover of this song on the guitar.... took me ages to play and sing at the same time, cos this tune has got funny rhythm hasn't it?!
  • hi nahko!
    Actually, the JC used to be a lot more popular than these forums... I really don't know now, though.
    I think we decided at some point that Let It Rain was in 13/4... so it would be subdivided 123/123/123/1234... I can't remember if the whole song is like that, but yes, it is odd.

I'm meg, btw.. nice to meet you!
  • QUOTE (thephantommilk @ Jul 16 2007, 10:17 PM)
    hi nahko!
    Actually, the JC used to be a lot more popular than these forums... I really don't know now, though.
    I think we decided at some point that Let It Rain was in 13/4... so it would be subdivided 123/123/123/1234... I can't remember if the whole song is like that, but yes, it is odd.

I'm meg, btw.. nice to meet you!

Nice to meet you too!

BTW what does 13/4 mean?? Am I being dumb? rolleyes.gif
  • haha, okay, so I'm going to try and explain this but you don't really need to read it if you don't want to, I'm just bored...

13/4 is a time signature... the top number = how many beats in a measure of music, and the bottome number = which note gets the beat

so 13/4 means that there are thirteen quarter notes in a measure. which could be typed out as /1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8.9.10.11.12.13/ ...

but a measure that long will usually be broken up, aka subdivided. in this case into /123/123/123/1234/ so it ends up sounding like /DUN dun dun/DUN dun dun/ DUN dun dun/ DUN dun dun dun/ which hopefully you can see is the rhythm for at least part of Let It Rain..

the most common time signatures are 4/4- /1234/ or /DUN dun dun dun/
    and I guess 3/4- /123/ or /DUN dun dun/ (<--- like a waltz... 1-2-3, 1-2-3, etc.)

I hope that makes sense.... if it doesn't, don't worry, I could explain it better in person but you don't really need to know unless you're trying to read music.

So no, you're not being dumb, I just forget that most people can't read music and don't think of rhythm in terms of time signatures.
  • Oh wow thank you for the explanation! I geddit now!
    I must admit, I did study music at school but I was never good with reading music.....ha ha
  • QUOTE (thephantommilk @ Jul 16 2007, 05:40 PM)
    haha, okay, so I'm going to try and explain this but you don't really need to read it if you don't want to, I'm just bored...

13/4 is a time signature... the top number = how many beats in a measure of music, and the bottome number = which note gets the beat

so 13/4 means that there are thirteen quarter notes in a measure. which could be typed out as /1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8.9.10.11.12.13/ ...

but a measure that long will usually be broken up, aka subdivided. in this case into /123/123/123/1234/ so it ends up sounding like /DUN dun dun/DUN dun dun/ DUN dun dun/ DUN dun dun dun/ which hopefully you can see is the rhythm for at least part of Let It Rain..

You know, I'm thinking though that it's more likely that they're in 3/4 with an occasional measure of 4/4 thrown in. I've never heard of anything being in 13/4 - the notation would be NIGHTMARISH to write or read.
  • Ahh I'm bit confused now!
    Well I personally never really seen 13/4 either but I'm not sure!!! unsure.gif
  • QUOTE (DJRose @ Jul 17 2007, 01:35 PM)
    You know, I'm thinking though that it's more likely that they're in 3/4 with an occasional measure of 4/4 thrown in. I've never heard of anything being in 13/4 - the notation would be NIGHTMARISH to write or read.

hmm yeah I thought of that too. and you're probably right, seeing as that's how it ends up anyways.

but 13/4 is more entertaining =P

oh well.
  • 1.Don't Ask Me
    2. Do What You Want
    3. Get Over It
    4. Invincible
  • 9027 KM!!!! haha. mine's Theres a Fire. i never get tired of that song!! i'm just old school, i guess.
  • QUOTE (thephantommilk @ Jul 18 2007, 04:47 PM)
    hmm yeah I thought of that too. and you're probably right, seeing as that's how it ends up anyways.

but 13/4 is more entertaining =P

oh well.

Oh no doubt, 13/4 is WAY more entertaining a thought. :-D

And now I'll point out that OLISQ has the most votes right now! W00T!
  • QUOTE (DJRose @ Jul 26 2007, 03:51 PM)
    And now I'll point out that OLISQ has the most votes right now! W00T!

No Sign would beat Oh Lately's ASS arm-wrestling
  • QUOTE (sherib @ Aug 5 2007, 09:59 PM)
    No Sign would beat Oh Lately's ASS arm-wrestling

That may be so, but Oh Lately knows how you want it, baby. wink.gif
  • QUOTE (Redstar7 @ Jan 23 2007, 12:29 PM)
    I am pretty sure that lawl is just like "lol" but how it would sound if you said it like a word.

I thought it was Laughing A Whole Lot, ah well, these things are always fuzzy.

I voted for Bye Bye Baby, although the EP version of that song is my favourite

My other favorites are:
    Aren't We Dozy
    Oh Lately It's So Quiet
    It's Tough To Have A Crush
    Don't Ask Me
    So Damn Hot
    What To Do
    There's A Fire

and Women + Men, just because it makes me giggle.

It's impossible to choose just a few favourites
  • Invincible is just amazing. i love it.

dont ask me
    do what you want
    your so danm hot
    all of them...
  • I love all of their songs soooo much! But Don't Ask Me would have to be my favorite. It makes me dance every time I hear it. It's Awesome! tongue.gif