In this Discussion

Lyrics for The Influence of the Blue Ray of the Sunlight and of the Blue Color of the Sky

edited November -1 in OK Go
I don't want to get into the spoilers v. no spoilers argument again, I just figure this can go in its own thread.

Tonight, with our brief preview of "I Want U So Bad" appearing on 90210, I was actually able to understand some of the lyrics that I'd been missing before. It inspired me to transcribe some as best as I can, and if anyone has a better quality recording where the lyrics are more intelligible they should please correct or fill in any blanks I leave. If I'm not sure of something I'll put in multiple question marks. I'm not going to bother with "White Knuckles" because the lyrics have been changed too many times and there's no way I'll get them right.

EDIT: I'm now putting the songs in the order they'll be in on the CD.

EDIT 1/9: Fixed This Too Shall Pass lyrics. I've had them corrected in my mind for weeks, just didn't realize I hadn't put them on here.

WTF? (transcribed by SureEyesAwake, but I made a few changes)

i been trying to get my head around
what the fuck is happening
i been trying to make some sense out of
what you're doing with my head

it's like a sky dive
or getting high
the kind of thrill that'll maybe kill ya
it's like i'm ??
i won't lie(?)
i don't know what to tell ya
there's just this thing about ya

so maybe you could help me clear this up
'cause me myself i just can't tell
are you some kind of dark sorcerer?
am i under some kind of spell?
'cause i could go on for days
crazy about it
you're so respectable oh but a little bit animal ?

it's like a sky dive
or getting high
the kind of thrill that could just kill ya
it's like i'm ??
i won't lie ?

[break]

are you going to tell me what comes next
or am i just supposed to know?
do i make my own decisions here
or am i under your control?
'cause i've been like this for days
crazy about it
it's starting to get, you know, a little uncomfortable

it's like a sky dive
or getting high
it's like i'm ??
i won't lie ?
do you think i'm out of line?
maybe it's fine, maybe it's all right, it doesn't matter
but while i'm dying(?)
yeah, i don't know what to tell ya

This Too Shall Pass (I need a lot of help with this one)
You know you can't keep letting it get you down - And you can't keep dragging that dead weight around
Is it really all that much to lug around - Better run like hell when you hit the ground
When the morning comes, When the morning comes
Can't stop those kids from dancing - but why would you want to? - Especially when you are already getting yours
'Cuz when your mind don't move then your knees don't bend - But don't go blaming the kids again
Let it go, This too shall pass
Let it go, This too shall pass
You know you can't keep letting it get you down, no you can't keep letting it get you down
Oh Is it really all that much to lug around, and you can't keep letting it get you down
When the morning comes (oh you can't keep letting it get you down, no you can't keep letting it get you down)

Skyscrapers
Skyscrapers please forgive me - I didn't mean a word I said - Skyscrapers I was just tangled up in my own head
And somehow in all the madness - I thought that I was seeing straight - It ain't always pretty but it seemed like there's no other way
And I guess all I've ever known was standing right before my eyes - and I, Oh I, I was blind.
So Skyscrapers please forgive me - I stand here a penitent man - Oh Skyscrapers I'll never look down again, again
Cuz I guess all I've ever known was standing right before my eyes - Oh - Yeah I guess all I've ever known was standing here all the time
And I, yeah I, I was blind.
You were here all the time, you were right there all the time, I was blind.

I Want You So Bad I Can't Breathe
In your fitted raincoat and tangled winter hair - cheeks a little rosy in the February air - running through the subway to catch the Uptown train - spend the night just dancing - running through the subway to catch the Uptown train - spend the night just dancing
Chorus: I want you, yeah I want you - I want you, yeah I want you bad - So bad I can't think straight - So bad all my bones shake - So bad I can't breathe
That in the midnight quiet - Outside a world away - We could have just one more - And maybe you could stay - And in the light of morning for 21 days straight - there you were beside me - And in the light of morning for 21 days straight - there you are beside me
Repeat Chorus
So wontcha, So wontcha say yeah
So wontcha, So wontcha give in
So wontcha, So wontcha c'mon
(Very Suggestive "Ahs")
I can't breathe
(band pauses, entire female population of the planet screams)
I want you, yeah I want you, so bad I can't breathe
I can't breathe.

Last Leaf
If you should be the last Autumn leaf hanging from the tree - I'll still be here waiting on the breeze to bring you down to me
And if it takes forever - Forever it'll be - And if it takes forever - Forever it'll be
And if you should be the last seed in Spring to venture forth a leaf - I'll still be here waiting on the rain to warm your heart for me
And if it takes forever - Forever it'll be - And if it takes forever - Forever it'll be

Back From Katmandu
In the dream you were someone different - you and everyone else all at once - you were beautiful, you were beautiful
In the dream you were just like you are
You loved everyone like a sovereign- Half magnanimous, half unimpressed - I was talkin' too much, I was tryin' too hard
In the dream it was just like it is.
And everything was so simple - things are and they always will be
Oh you are the answer to the question that is me
Yeah in the dream it was just like it is.
We were captive there in a prison - Where everyone was guilty by mistake - It was infinite, It was infinite
In the dream it was just like it is
And I, I asked if love could free us - you said "no probably not, but everybody needs to get through the night and love is all we've got"
Yeah in the dream it was just like it is.
In the dream it was just like it is.
In the dream you were someone different - you and everyone else all at once - you were beautiful, you were beautiful
In the dream you were just like you are

Shooting the Moon (put down here because we now know it won't be on Of the Blue Colour of the Sky)
All of the Astronauts - Champagne in plastic cups - waiting for the big hero to show - outside the door he stands - his head in his hands - and his heart in his throat
What can he tell 'em now? - Sorry I let you down - Sorry it wasn't quite true - But don't get hung up on it - Just soldier on with it - Good luck with shooting the moon
Shooting the moon - Shooting the moon - the moon - Shooting the moon
All of the principals - generals admirals - and the podium lit with the spotlight - crowd buzzes quietly waiting expectantly - like it's opening night
What can he tell 'em now? - Sorry I let you down - Sorry it wasn't quite true - But don't get hung up on it - Just soldier on with it - Good luck with shooting the moon
Shooting the moon - Shooting the moon - the moon - Shooting the moon

Comments

• I cant find any previews?
  • Youtube is your friend. Also, read the thread on Monolith. WeirdWolf76 posted links to videos she took of the set there and it includes all the songs I transcribed.

• Thanks for posting these. biggrin.gif
    I was slightly curious as to what some of the lyrics were, 'cause its really hard to understand them in the YouTube videos, due to screaming fans and whatnot... rolleyes.gif
  • QUOTE (Nova @ Sep 20 2009, 04:32 AM)
    Thanks for posting these. biggrin.gif
    I was slightly curious as to what some of the lyrics were, 'cause its really hard to understand them in the YouTube videos, due to screaming fans and whatnot... rolleyes.gif

My pleasure! Honestly, these boys are very bad for my productivity! laugh.gif

I updated the lyrics for I Want You So Bad, I watched the bit in 90210 again and figured out that it's "tangled winter hair".

(band pauses, entire female population of the planet screams)

*SNORT* My laughs have been heard across the internets, they were so loud. biggrin.gif
  • QUOTE (toiletdog @ Sep 21 2009, 11:29 AM)
    *SNORT* My laughs have been heard across the internets, they were so loud. biggrin.gif

It's funny because it's true!
  • I updated "I Want You So Bad I Can't Breathe" to the best of my abilities, FYI. If anyone has any input, it's welcome!
  • I think the missing lyric for I Want U So Bad is:

That in the midnight quiet - Outside a world away - We could have just one more...

I could totally be wrong of course.
  • The title of this album reminds me of "The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man in the Moon Marigolds"

which is centered on a dysfunctional family and a science fair and a rabbit and has nothing to do with songs or wanting anyone badly.

But you know
  • QUOTE (DJRose @ Sep 21 2009, 07:19 AM)
    I updated the lyrics for I Want You So Bad, I watched the bit in 90210 again and figured out that it's "tangled winter hair".

Ooo, that's a very Marc Bolan lyric! wub.gif

(If anyone asks who Marc Bolan is, Tempe will come at choo with a shovel and a rock n' roll encyclopedia)
  • WTF?

i been trying to get my head around
    what the fuck is happening
    i been trying to make some sense out of
    what you're doing with my head

it's like a sky dive
    or getting high
    it's like i'm ??
    i won't lie(?)

so maybe you could help me clear this up
    'cause me myself i just can't tell
    are you some kind of dark sorcerer?
    am i under some kind of spell?
    'cause i could go on for days
    crazy about it
    you're so respectable oh but a little bit animal ?

it's like a sky dive
    or getting high
    the kind of thrill that could just kill ya
    it's like i'm ??
    i won't lie ?

[break]

are you going to tell me what comes next
    or am i just supposed to know?
    do i make my own decisions here
    or am i under your control?
    'cause i've been like this for days
    crazy about it
    it's starting to get, you know, a little uncomfortable

it's like a sky dive
    or getting high
    it's like i'm ??
    i won't lie ?
    do you think i'm out of...
    maybe it's fine, maybe it's all right, it doesn't matter
    but while i'm dying(?)
    yeah, i don't know what to tell ya
  • Hope you don't mind me jumping in here, Rachel.
  • I think he's saying "white lie" there instead of "won't lie".

You did a really nice job. I couldn't even get half the song. sleep.gif
  • Wow...

These lyrics are beautiful. The 21st Century American Scripture.
  • QUOTE (sureeyesawake @ Nov 10 2009, 11:22 PM)
    Hope you don't mind me jumping in here, Rachel.

Not in the least! Thanks for doing it and saving me the trouble. I gotta fix the BFK lyrics too.

OK, I fixed BFK. smile.gif
  • Correction to the title... it's "colour", not "color". Only a Brit would write such an awesome book. And it appears they also shortened the album title now.
  • QUOTE (Will @ Nov 11 2009, 10:38 AM)
    Correction to the title... it's "colour", not "color". Only a Brit would write such an awesome book. And it appears they also shortened the album title now.

I know! The annoying thing about these boards is that once you title a thread, it can't be edited. If a mod (ahem, Darbie) had the ability to edit the title, I wouldn't object to them doing so.
  • QUOTE (Tapegrl =D @ Nov 11 2009, 05:39 AM)
    I think he's saying "white lie" there instead of "won't lie".

You did a really nice job. I couldn't even get half the song. sleep.gif

I also think he says "white lie" or "wild lie"/"wild light" instead of "won't lie".

Could it be in the refrain:
    "it's like I'm eye-to-eye"..or something like that? I think I read that anywhere on the Internet
    and while I was listening to WTF? I think I heard something which sounds like "eye-to-eye".

And I'm not sure about this one but for me it always sounds like:
    " 'cause I'm like/not like this for days" instead of " 'cause I've been like this for day"

Well done sureeyesawake ! I could never get so far with the transcribtion of the WTF?-lyrics wink.gif laugh.gif
  • Nice job with the lyrics, Rach! smile.gif
  • This looks like the right place to post this, but please correct me if there's a better place.

I know the CD is out now and there are official lyrics to all the songs in there, but I've noticed that the live versions of "White Knuckles" from about a year ago have significantly different lyrics than those on the final CD.  So, I kind of took it on as a challenge to see if I could make out the "old" lyrics.  I'd love it if someone would check my work and try to fill in the iffy parts.  Here's my best guess (with the words I'm very iffy about in parenthesis), using three YouTube videos as references (listed at the bottom of the post):

You never get that taste outta your mouth

you never get the pawprints outta the old hen house

and when it's done, what d'ya get

another (round) of 95 and the rest let's just forget

white knuckles

maybe it's not so bad

so let you're hair down now

white knuckles

maybe it's not so bad

oh go ahead and let it down

(so darling) push, as hard as you can

(did you) decide to run or could there still be a chance

pack up your stuff, head out West

(go get those kicks tonight) and get this shit off your chest

white knuckles

maybe it's not so bad

white knuckles

maybe it's not so bad

go ahead and let it down

-massive guitar jam-

I went too far, the same old stuff

(wish there was a better) way to kill myself, but everybody needs a crutch

you never tried, least not enough

well nothin' ever doesn't change, but nothin' changes much

white knuckles

maybe it's not so bad

white knuckles

maybe it's not so bad

so go ahead and let it down

-repeat chorus-

YouTube videos (sorry, I have very poor HTML skills, so no links)

Feewaybill57 — March 06, 2009  OK Go "White Knuckles" (OK Go channels Prince)

weirdwolf76 - April 09, 2009 OK Go - White Knuckles @ Wonder Ballroom 3/27/09

griffenmorena - March 07, 2009 - OK Go - White Knuclkes (New Song)