In this Discussion

New Label?

edited November -1 in OK Go
I put it up in the topic description because I want this very clear - I Have No Insider Info Here. I'm only reporting a few things that came up in my Google alerts today.

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20100309/2322198491.shtml

http://www.hitsdailydouble.com/news/rumormill.cgi

http://newsblog.thecmuwebsite.com/post/Ban...cord-label.aspx

For those interested, "Paracadute" appears to be the Italian word for Parachute. If you break it down, I think it means "For Falling" (not that I speak Italian, but I am a bit of a language nerd), which is pretty amusing.

Comments

• Sounds awesome, and i wish our boys all the best

(if it is true)

Mr. Jorge, Whom I Adore to be new lable president =p
  • Curious... I can't quite see why EMI would drop OK Go right now, when their role now is basically to sit and rake in returns on the money they shelled out for the album. I guess it's possible that they are basically going to stick to their role with this album but let the band make the next one under their own steam and own the rights to it themselves - if this is the case then I guess we won't hear about it for a while since I can't see them back in the studio any time soon...
  • EMI hasn't been the most sensible in terms of business decisions, and I think they're going to rake in the returns regardless of whether OK Go is still signed to them. The difference is how much effort EMI has to put into the promotion of the album.

What I do know is that Capitol's street team is not covering the Spring tour. This isn't the first time they've not covered a tour, though, so I am decidedly not counting that as evidence for either camp.

As to them going back into the studio, the rate that OK Go releases albums has traditionally been every 3-4 years anyway. OK Go came out in 2002, Oh No was 2005, and OTBCOTS would've been 2009 if Capitol hadn't kept pushing it back.
  • QUOTE (DJRose @ Mar 10 2010, 01:58 PM)
    For those interested, "Paracadute" appears to be the Italian word for Parachute. If you break it down, I think it means "For Falling" (not that I speak Italian, but I am a bit of a language nerd), which is pretty amusing.

Well, this reminds me of an Italian interview with OK Go where I think Damian answered the question "which Italian words he knows" with "Paracadute". The crazy thing is that my friends and I talked about Italian words during break today and I just said proudly that I know what parachute is called in Italian. Anyways I'd like the name "Paracadute Recordings" biggrin.gif

And of course I'm very curious if this rumor is really true!
    I would look forward to the band's Independent Label and I would
    definitely support them (by promo the new album or whatever...).

btw this is the interview I'm referring to :
    http://www.undertheory.com/index/index.php...amp;idvideo=138
  • QUOTE (toiletdog @ Mar 10 2010, 05:05 PM)

they should have said "bye bye baby"

a missed chance
  • Yeah, they've officially parted ways. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mdyb_Ip_R8w

(I know I shouldn't say anything stupid and ridiculous right now but Dora and Bunny look so friggin' adorable.)
  • Re: Paracadute.

Flashback to grade school, a motivational saying on a message board:

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when open.

Kinda cheesy, but somehow very fitting.
  • You guys do realize that we might be losing the boards, right? Wait, maybe this is what Andy was talking about. I wonder if the transition's already been made.

Who knows how to archive shiznit?!
  • It's true! I just posted another thread about it, knowing full well that this one was going on. feel free to talk about it here. that other one's just for the historical record.

what a fun wednesday this has turned out to be. tim and damian will be on all things considered (npr) this afternoon talking about the news. i'll be eating pizza and singing in the shower. because today, my friends, there are no rules (rules enforced again at 7pm GMT).

jorge

• QUOTE (YoDoofball! @ Mar 10 2010, 11:49 AM)
    You guys do realize that we might be losing the boards, right? Wait, maybe this is what Andy was talking about. I wonder if the transition's already been made.

To my knowledge (and I could be wrong), the boards and website are theirs.

We'll be losing the Street Team, but I think that's about it.
  • QUOTE (YoDoofball! @ Mar 10 2010, 12:49 PM)
    You guys do realize that we might be losing the boards, right? Wait, maybe this is what Andy was talking about. I wonder if the transition's already been made.

It's a risk. Andy got started working on it but don't know how far he got. I'll push them, though, to get it moving in the right direction.

jorge
  • Wow. I just, wow.

This is massively exciting, and yet a little scary.
  • This is incredible news!
  • QUOTE (DJRose @ Mar 10 2010, 01:05 PM)
    Wow. I just, wow.

This is massively exciting, and yet a little scary.

I second that.
  • QUOTE (beckysioux @ Mar 10 2010, 05:54 PM)
    We'll be losing the Street Team, but I think that's about it.

They haven't stopped sending me spam about other bands since I signed up, so good riddance... with any luck we'll get back the Juggling Club!
  • QUOTE (Will @ Mar 10 2010, 08:30 PM)
    They haven't stopped sending me spam about other bands since I signed up, so good riddance... with any luck we'll get back the Juggling Club!

I was pretty fed up with their spam too.
  • Thanks to google alert for this article!

OK Go’s Damian Kulash Talks About Leaving EMI

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/..._talks_abo.html

• QUOTE (PinkMuffin @ Mar 10 2010, 02:47 PM)
    Thanks to google alert for this article!

Google alerts are seriously the best thing ever.

I love this photo.
  • QUOTE (DJRose @ Mar 10 2010, 08:53 PM)
    Google alerts are seriously the best thing ever.

I love this photo.

Yay! Google alerts are amazing! biggrin.gif

When I opened the link and saw this photo it was just like : Wow! Oh my goodness!
    Damian looks like a convincing businessman. wink.gif
    --> right-click "save as..."