In this Discussion

New Label?

Comments

• By the way, a little off-topic, I thought it was awesome that Damian mentioned that "paracadute" was his second favourite word after "pamplemousse" but that was taken. I discovered the band who have taken that name, or more precisely "Pomplamoose", LITERALLY last night and they are awesome. Musically they are very different but like OK Go they are real creative especially visually, and I loove them. One of the band members even did a solo cover of DWYW. Check them out!
  • QUOTE (Will @ Mar 10 2010, 08:18 PM)
    By the way, a little off-topic, I thought it was awesome that Damian mentioned that "paracadute" was his second favourite word after "pamplemousse" but that was taken. I discovered the band who have taken that name, or more precisely "Pomplamoose", LITERALLY last night and they are awesome. Musically they are very different but like OK Go they are real creative especially visually, and I loove them. One of the band members even did a solo cover of DWYW. Check them out!

I too am a fan of Pomplamoose. Nataly Dawn and Jack Conte are brilliant! I love how Nataly uses all kinds of different things for percussion in that video.
  • http://music-mix.ew.com/2010/03/10/ok-go-d...-with-two-dogs/

Best Headline EVER. "Set Up Own Label With Two Dogs".
  • Just saw this. It's a huge step, but I'm excited for the guys =)
  • QUOTE (DJRose @ Mar 10 2010, 02:53 PM)
    Google alerts are seriously the best thing ever.

I love this photo.

Hu-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-bbbbbllll.

Hmm.

Yeah.

That's pretty awesome.
  • this scares me a bit... i wont be able to see okgo when they come here in april ... i've seen them the last x amount of times that they have been here... but im worried they might not come back again because thier on thier own label now...? do my worries have any truth? i hope not...
  • I'M SO PROUD OF THEM!
  • This is so amazing, but definitely a bit scary. I have complete faith in the boys, though, and I trust their decision 100%. smile.gif
  • I really need to stop saying "Paracadute." It's so fun to say. I want it on a t-shirt. Just the word.

Paracadute.
  • QUOTE (agentnumone @ Mar 10 2010, 06:00 PM)
    this scares me a bit... i wont be able to see okgo when they come here in april ... i've seen them the last x amount of times that they have been here... but im worried they might not come back again because thier on thier own label now...? do my worries have any truth? i hope not...

I was worried about this too mel. That and the potential of losing the boards.

For awhile now, I've been thinking about other bands that have branched off and just decided to be independent and wondered why Ok Go didn't go the same route. I wondered if maybe it was a money issue because the lads seemed pretty frustrated at not being able to freely express themselves. It's probably good timing that they're breaking away now. No doubt, they have made good connections to keep themselves steady on their own and they've established a strong reputation. Bah, too sleepy to disect it now. But I wish them all the best.
  • wow, there are so many things happening with OK Go lately. I'm baffled at this new announcement. (yes, I've been spying on the lot of you laugh.gif ).

Could I say, I adore the fact that OK Go is going to be an indie band now. It makes me love them even more.
  • QUOTE (samanferr @ Mar 10 2010, 07:26 PM)
    I really need to stop saying "Paracadute." It's so fun to say. I want it on a t-shirt. Just the word.

Paracadute.

I think I know what I'm making for when they come here in April. Totally stealing your idea Sam, hope you don't mind.
  • Yeah! Stick it to the man! Good luck, guys! This will be pretty amazing. I wonder if they're signing other bands to the label...
  • Oh, holy cannoli! I have no idea how making your own label even works!

So...I get that the boys will have more freedom to express themselves in way that would make Charles Wright proud, but what does this really mean? Will they be getting other bands to support their label financially...or something? If anyone knows the workings of independent labels who will be willing to give me the run down, that would be super!

Still though, it's super exciting that they're branching out on their own! And also...Paracadute. AFFIRMATIVE.

• Yay for the boys! So exciting!

QUOTE (samanferr @ Mar 10 2010, 05:26 PM)
    I really need to stop saying "Paracadute." It's so fun to say. I want it on a t-shirt. Just the word.

Paracadute.

YES. I thought the same thing!

• QUOTE (beckysioux @ Mar 10 2010, 09:23 PM)
    I think I know what I'm making for when they come here in April. Totally stealing your idea Sam, hope you don't mind.

haha absolutely not! make me one! lol.

and oh yeah, paracadute.
  • This is really the best thing that could have happened to them.
    Record companies don't know anything anymore, and Ok Go are career artists who now have a chance to to do anything.

I'm really excited by this development, and honestly wished it had happened years ago.
  • QUOTE (PinkMuffin @ Mar 10 2010, 12:01 PM)
    Well, this reminds me of an Italian interview with OK Go where I think Damian answered the question "which Italian words he knows" with "Paracadute".

QUOTE (Will @ Mar 10 2010, 04:18 PM)
    By the way, a little off-topic, I thought it was awesome that Damian mentioned that "paracadute" was his second favourite word after "pamplemousse" but that was taken.

Yeah, he said all that in concert when I saw them in January, as he was in France and someone started yelling out "PAMPLEMOOOOOOUSSE!" in the crowd.

QUOTE (Mr. Mr. Jorge, Whom I Adore, Whom I Adore @ Mar 10 2010, 01:51 PM)
    It's true! I just posted another thread about it, knowing full well that this one was going on. feel free to talk about it here. that other one's just for the historical record.

what a fun wednesday this has turned out to be. tim and damian will be on all things considered (npr) this afternoon talking about the news. i'll be eating pizza and singing in the shower. because today, my friends, there are no rules (rules enforced again at 7pm GMT).

Mr. Mr. Jorge, Whom I Adore, Whom I Adore

Uhhhhhhhh do you need employees?? 'Cause I totes have experience and I am willing to relocate.

No really, I'm serious.

ETA: Oh, I forgot : FUCK YES THIS IS AWESOME!
  • QUOTE (jedi_grrlie @ Mar 11 2010, 08:10 AM)
    Uhhhhhhhh do you need employees?? 'Cause I totes have experience and I am willing to relocate.

No really, I'm serious.

You also have a rather good reference, laugh.gif!

Anyway, here are two interesting articles about the split. My email has been BLOWING UP with Google alerts.

http://www.billboard.com/news/ok-go-splits...004074394.story
    For all the attention it has received lately, OK Go has few sales to show for it. "Of The Color of Blue Sky" has sold 25,000 units since its release on January 12, according to Nielsen SoundScan. Individual tracks from the album stand at 30,000. However, there are signs that the latest video has boosted sales. Last week, digital album sales went from 1,000 to 3,000 and individual tracks rose from 1,000 to more than 7,000.

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2010/03/10/...cord-label-emi/
    This quote kind of pisses me off:
    According to an industry source, “Radio didn’t like the record. When you’re not getting traction, you have to make a hard decision. Do you want to keep investing in this band?”

See the DJ in my name? I come by that honestly. I used to work in Radio. And you know what? Radio is STUPID. JUST PLAIN STUPID. A program director who A) has the sense to know that people get tired of hearing the same old songs over and over and B ) has the authority to actually do something about it, is harder to find than Bigfoot. Radio didn't like the record because Radio is too stupid to understand that they've got to play a song more than twice to make it stick. If people don't hear the song, they're not going to ask for it. Simple as that.

But there are some heartwarming moments in that article nonetheless, so it's still worth a read.
  • Need an intern in NY? I'm down. lol