In this Discussion

Boston EarthFest 5/21/11

edited November -1 in OK Go
It was a gorgeous day at EarthFest, and the band played a great set. I'm starting a thread for the show, because I believe there was a lot of documentation. Nice to have a place to collect that material as it turns up.

Were any other Boardies there? Or did anyone get a chance to see the
live stream? What were your impressions?

I was there, and had a truly wonderful time. I took photos, some posted below. The crowd was kept a distance from the stage, and my camera could only zoom so far. I like my pics, but I'm telling you, many better ones were taken. Several photo pros were roaming around with telephoto lenses.

Here's the set list:

DWYW
White Knuckles
A Million Ways
Invincible
Return (on handbells)
Last Leaf
Good Idea
HIGA
WYSBICB
Skyscrapers
Get Over It
TTSP

And a few photos:

Larger versions HERE.

Comments

• After the show, the band did a signing. I got to meet them, and had a CD signed. So awesome! They were every bit as kind and forthright in person as I expected them to be. Andy took a call on my phone from Becky—that was a really fun moment. And I got to thank Damian and Dan for a great show, and tell them that I'd started my GPS "peace" walk right there at the Hatch Shell, a few months before. The line did move quickly, so there wasn't a lot of time. But since the line doubled back on itself, I had a chance to take some photos of them talking with other people. Just...look:

Larger sizes HERE.
  • The photos from the table are adorable! Especially that first one!

So glad you got to go and it was a good experience. ♥
  • I love those shots!  I wish I had been there with you. 
  • Great show! Wish they hadn't been so far away — felt like a teaser; instead of tiding me over till the next show, now I just want MORE OK Go. Also wish I'd been a more avid boardie before today, so I'd know you all would be there! I forgot to bring my CD that Damian signed after 8in8 Yell So I stupidly decided not to get in the signing line because I had nothing for them to sign. I had friends in line though; I should have just hung out there with them!

Here are my photos:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3454/5750729033_d728e367ec_z.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5105/5750729807_f0a171807c_z.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5223/5751274704_04e43b8dee_z.jpg
  • Heather, again, thank you so, so, so much for giving aross your phone with me on the other end. It was just pure awesomeness.

I'm still so happy that you were able to make it to the show. And that you had a great time, too!
  • Wick, you were at 8in8?  Me too!
  • Yep! Only at the concert, though. I won one of those GetGlue tickets. Were you there for the whole conference?
  • Yep!  I'm a musician, so I went on the musician rate.  I was in the second row at the concert and took home the One Tiny Thing lyrics sheet. :-)
  • Hi Wick & welcome! Thanks for posting your photos. Looks like you were right of center. Were you near where Damian came over the barrier for Last Leaf?

Lucky you for getting winning those 8in8 tickets! I saw it online, but would love to have been there.
  • Rachel, that's awesome! I would have loved to be down in the orchestra seats, but they weren't letting people with free tickets (mostly Berklee students) into that area at the beginning. At least I was able to be in the front row of the balcony.

And Heather, thanks for the welcome Smile No, we were closer to center than he was when he climbed over the barrier. Poor boy, that's the first time I've seen the wireless mic cut out on the guitar (although I've only seen 4 shows). That's gotta be frustrating to no end.
  • I agree, the wireless that kept going out must have been really frustrating. Although, he made the most of it by bringing the guitar up to the mic. I was the other side of the crowd, and heard almost everything through the speakers. Looked like Damian's mic cord also got fouled with another cord on TTSP, making it impossible for him to leave the stage. It literally pulled him up short. Again, super frustrating. Which makes it all the more impressive to me that, at the signing, they were all so calm and welcoming.

Were you at the Paradise in December? That was a really nice "Last Leaf." Seemed like the whole room was singing along.
  • Yes! Paradise was great! I was riding that high for days...
  • I may not have been there, but Earthfest is the reason I first talked to Damian and Tim, so I'm damn glad it happened.  xD

Plus they all look adorable.  >>
  • They ARE all looking exceedingly adorable lately! I mean they always look good to me, but lately there's been this extra fresh, glowy quality to the overall aesthetic that I am finding irresistible.
  • PemiBlue said:

After the show, the band did a signing. I got to meet them, and had a CD signed. So awesome! They were every bit as kind and forthright in person as I expected them to be. Andy took a call on my phone from Becky—that was a really fun moment. And I got to thank Damian and Dan for a great show, and tell them that I'd started my GPS "peace" walk right there at the Hatch Shell, a few months before. The line did move quickly, so there wasn't a lot of time. But since the line doubled back on itself, I had a chance to take some photos of them talking with other people. Just...look:

Larger sizes HERE.

Yay, good shots of all the boys!!

Tim - that beard - *guh* *is ded*
  • violetchaos364 said:

Tim - that beard - *guh* *is ded*

Note to self: Don't let Amber anywhere near my husband.... ;-)
  • Christel, I think "glowy" is an apt description. I very much hope you will verify your findings in person on June 4th!

Meanwhile, here's another opportunity to experience the glowiness remotely—in this case, including the bright reflections of the handbells. My remarkably thoughtful (and, incidentally, bearded) boyfriend Matt was so kind as to puchase a video camera last week. And lo, we recorded "Return" on handbells, as rendered upon the last day of the world.

Now, bear in mind we JUST got the camera. Not totally clear on all the controls. Some dramamine might be in order, say, a half hour before watching. But it is in HD, and the sound recorded pretty well. I do hope this works:

• That's just... wow... I cannot fathom how anyone could sit through that without breaking down crying.

The part at the beginning, though... that made me smile.
  • PemiBlue said:

Christel, I think "glowy" is an apt description. I very much hope you will verify your findings in person on June 4th!

Meanwhile, here's another opportunity to experience the glowiness remotely—in this case, including the bright reflections of the handbells.

I don't know about my ability to handle all the glowy goodness in person, this remote glowiness is almost unbearably stunning as it is! God, that was beautiful (When the girl yelled "I love you Tim!" I said, "Me too!" right along with the guy!). Thanks. And thanks to your guy for getting the camera!

But, um... What do you mean "verify my findings?"

Prove that their glowiness is particularly irresistible to me? How? By becoming inexorably attached in some way? Latching on to Damian's arm grinning and blushing something awful, as he's having to drag me around because I can't let go? I'm mortified, yet firmly locked to him, while apologizing profusely:"Sorry. Really sorry...Can't help it. Irresistible Glowiness, you see. Powerless to resist... It's magnetic."
  • ChristelAdina said:

Prove that their glowiness is particularly irresistible to me? How? By becoming inexorably attached in some way? Latching on to Damian's arm grinning and blushing something awful, as he's having to drag me around because I can't let go? I'm mortified, yet firmly locked to him, while apologizing profusely:"Sorry. Really sorry...Can't help it. Irresistible Glowiness, you see. Powerless to resist... It's magnetic."

This is the best mental image I've had all month.  I'm not sure which is better, the thought of Christel latched onto Damian's arm or the smile he's going to give her as she begs for forgiveness.

Dear Matt, thank you for buying the video camera.  I can't wait to watch that video later.