In this Discussion

Please report new message board bugs and annoyances here

Comments

• beckysioux, did this happen just once, or does it happen every time you log in?  are other people also being taken to the message board profile page instead of the message board main page?

eThan
  • It is now finally taking me to the message board instead of WordPress.
  • eThan said:

beckysioux, did this happen just once, or does it happen every time you log in?  are other people also being taken to the message board profile page instead of the message board main page?

eThan

I just logged on from the main page and then from this specific page and was taken to the profile page both times. It's wonky, sometimes I'll get directed to the profile page, other times I'll end up back where I had clicked the login button.
  • Problem solved for me as well eThan - I'm taken to the msg board page rather than the WordPress profile page. Thx! :) x
  • ladydeejol, great i'm gladd to hear it.  beckysioux, could do you know how to clear your browser's cache?  could you give that a try and then let me know if you get better login behavio from the site.  

by the way, have any of you guys noticed a speed up in the site at all in the last day?  on that topic more generally, how do you feel about the site's speed of loading etc overall?

eThan
  • Cleared the cache and it brought me back here where I clicked the login button. It's weird though because I usually have the cache cleared whenever I close my browser. I'll be sure to check this issue on my laptop tonight to see if the issue is resolved.

As for speed, it was deathly slow yesterday afternoon. It's better today. And as far as overall speed goes, I think it's a little slow. I was thinking it might have to do with the active link at the top of the page. Whenever the link isn't a .gif, the pages tend to load a little faster, but not much. I do wish the pages loaded faster, but if they don't, I skip to one of my other open tabs and come back later.
  • eThan said:

ladydeejol, great i'm gladd to hear it.  beckysioux, could do you know how to clear your browser's cache?  could you give that a try and then let me know if you get better login behavio from the site.  

by the way, have any of you guys noticed a speed up in the site at all in the last day?  on that topic more generally, how do you feel about the site's speed of loading etc overall?

eThan

Usually it is PAINFULLY slow, but just now it loaded in record time.  It actually caught me off guard, haha!
  • A few days ago, I tried to post on the message board for the first time. It didn't work. This was probably the same problem as rockchick's.

So I tried to post on my brother's computer and this did work. I tried to find the differences between his and my computer and I eventually found the cause of the problem: Internet Explorer 9. I'm quite sure of this because my brother's computer has Internet Explorer 8 and I'm now posting on my own computer again, now with Google Chrome, and this also works.

So if you're not able to post and if you're using Internet Explorer 9, try Google Chrome or any other internet software. That will probably work, just like it did for me.
  • beckysioux said:

Cleared the cache and it brought me back here where I clicked the login button. It's weird though because I usually have the cache cleared whenever I close my browser. I'll be sure to check this issue on my laptop tonight to see if the issue is resolved.

Currently on my laptop: I cleared my cache before logging in from one of the other threads and was still directed back to the WP page.

Like I said above, sometimes it directs me to the WP page or takes me back to where I clicked the login button.
  • hi all, so we've just put up the new site that we've been hard at work building.  please let me or one of the moderators know if you notice any strange behavior.  otherwise, enjoy!  hope you like it.  

eThan
  • Hey eThan,

Great job on the new site! It looks so beautiful.

Now, two problems I found:

1. It looks like all the posts that were made between 1/28/12 and 2/3/12 have disappeared. When I logged in, the log in box said that my last visit was on 1/28/12. I made a post yesterday in the Needing/Getting video thread, so my last visit was yesterday.

I can't recall all the threads that were updated since 1/28/12, but I know that the Needing/Getting thread had at least 12 other updates in it.

Is it possible to get those posts back or are they lost in the ether?

2. In the Store, when clicking on an item, it doesn't open a new window as it had before. If you right click and click "open in a new window" it does.
  • beckysioux, glad you like the way things are looking!  thank you for the heads up on the two issues.  i suspect i will be able to recover those missing forum  messages.

eThan
  • ok, i think i've imported at least some of the missing forum posts.  let me know if there's stuff still missing.  i may be able to find it.  the needing/getting forum topic is listing 1 post at the moment, but i think as soon as someone else posts in there, it'll get the count right again :) 

have fun

eThan
  • EThan the page looks AMAZE, thx for that! :D xx
  • I just posted in the N/G thread and the number count went up. Yay!

Awesome things I noticed:

1. I'm not getting pushed to WordPress anymore.*knocks on wood*

2. When I misspell something, my Firefox spellchecker catches it. Before I had to rely on the spellchecker in the forum. (Not that I misspell often, but when I do, I like to see it right away because I often forget to click the spellchecker on here.)

ETA: I knew I spoke too soon. I logged out and was taken to the WordPress page. I tried this a few times to see if it was just a glitch. I also cleared my cache to see if that would fix it. No dice.

I also saw that if you're not logged in, the main forum page doesn't show any new updates. And when you go into the forum, it doesn't show the updates in there either. Don't know if it's designed that way or what. It's actually kind of genius if it was.

Oh, the forum time zone is set at UTC 0 which is throwing me off. Don't know if it's throwing others off or not. Is it possible to set it back to LA time as it was before? Or, even better, give us the option to set it to our time zones?

I apologize for all the questions and demands.
  • beckysioux said:

ETA: I knew I spoke too soon. I logged out and was taken to the WordPress page. I tried this a few times to see if it was just a glitch. I also cleared my cache to see if that would fix it. No dice.

When you say Wordpress page here, do you mean it takes you to the login screen?  

I also saw that if you're not logged in, the main forum page doesn't show any new updates. And when you go into the forum, it doesn't show the updates in there either. Don't know if it's designed that way or what. It's actually kind of genius if it was.

Wait so this is a good thing??  Laugh  I think I can change it in the settings if not (no promises).

Oh, the forum time zone is set at UTC 0 which is throwing me off. Don't know if it's throwing others off or not. Is it possible to set it back to LA time as it was before? Or, even better, give us the option to set it to our time zones?

Hmmm this is interesting.  I will check and see if I can do anything here... The overall site should now be set to EST.

Thank you for all the feedback, beckysioux.

eThan
  • Great job on the website, eThan & fellow moderators. I love it! And I LOVE the descriptions of the forums! Hypermetacontextual... xD
  • eThan said:

beckysioux said:

When you say Wordpress page here, do you mean it takes you to the login screen?  

This is what I see when I log out:

Then when I click on the log out link, it takes me here:

I don't know if others are having this issue, too.

Wait so this is a good thing??  
    Laugh  I think I can change it in the settings if not (no promises).

I say it's a good thing because it forces you to sign in to see the most recent post. Though it kinda sucks when you're on a smartphone and can't see the most recent post.

Hmmm this is interesting.  I will check and see if I can do anything here… The overall site should now be set to EST.

Thank you for all the feedback, beckysioux.

eThan

Thank you for updating the time zone!
  • Hi All, 

So there is a new version of the forum software out and I'm hoping to make the upgrade this weekend.  I wanted to give you all the heads up!  

It's a rather big upgrade evidently and from what they are promising that it has some significant improvements.  We'll see… 

eThan
  • An upgrade would be so very nice.

I was just trying to embed the Skyscrapers vid and the board won't let me. I can see the vid before I hit "Post New Reply", but when it's actually posted, the vid isn't there. And then when I go to edit the post, there's nothing there for the video, like it wasn't there at all. It doesn't even show up in the HTML portion.

I'm hoping that maybe the upgrade is going through right now and that's why there's a problem. If the upgrade isn't happening right now, it looks like we can't embed from YouTube anymore. Or am I doing something wrong?