In this Discussion

The Trish Sie Appreciation Thread

124»

Comments

•  

This is probably one of my favorite things Trish has ever done.  "Lollipop" just came up in shuffle and I was reminded of it.  I know we've had it posted a million times, but I thought it could use a bump.
  • Oh gosh. That just made my life.

And the fact that it's Mika just makes it 10 times better.

8D
  • I heard this interview for the first time this evening, and both me and Adam got a nice hearty laugh out of it. Laugh

http://www.scpr.org/programs/madeleine-brand/2010/12/28/ok-go-music-videos/
  • Mmkay first of that interview is glorious and I wanna see that dance so badly now.  And baby Damian being used as a prop.  xD

Second, if people haven't gone to bigbadtrish.com and seen her reel, go do it.  Seriously.  It's glorious.  xD
  • I would love to see that dance as well.  It sounds adorable.
  • DJRose said:

I heard this interview for the first time this evening, and both me and Adam got a nice hearty laugh out of it. Laugh

http://www.scpr.org/programs/m.....ic-videos/

Wow.  Thanks for posting that!

"KAS, KAS, we gotta move fast"
  • The guys recently posted that Trish will be speaking at a TED event in Phoenixville, PA this Saturday.  I did not think I could go originally because of some family obligations, but those have changed (which is a woo effing hoo for more reasons than just the Trish reason).  So Adam and I will be seeing Ms. Sie on Saturday!!  SUPER psyched. 
  • If I wasn't stuck going to a wedding this weekend with the manbrarian (he's a librarian, so my friend gave him that name), I'd bum a ride with the one and only Rachel. Coincidentally, the manbrarian is named Adam. If I didn't know any better, I'd say I was trying to be Rachel's clone.
  • I am excited for you Rachel.  Tell us all about it when you get back and have fun!
  • Thanks Tempe and Becki.  The word is that the talk Trish gave is going to be online eventually, but I'll give you some early highlights.

Trish talked a lot about the things that inspired her as a kid, specifically Donnie Osmond.  She said that when she was 5 she could stay up past her bedtime to watch Donnie & Marie, and that she used to believe that Donnie lived in her record player.  So when she would choreograph huge routines in her bedroom, she would turn the record player around so that Donnie couldn't see the bad stuff.  Then when she was sure that it was good enough, she would turn the player back around so that Donnie could see how awesome her routine was. She then said that shortly after she discovered that Donnie was not actually in her record player, she realized that her baby brother was just as good a collaborator, and an even tougher critic than Donnie.

She also talked about the time when on the way home from Church one Easter Sunday, she and Damian were in the backseat listening to "Eye Of the Tiger" on a walkman and the jelly beans they'd gotten at Church started dancing.  She said that everything else around them seemed to be in sync with the jelly beans dancing to the music playing in their headphones.  She also said that Damian saw it too, and that now they spend their lives trying to create what they call Jellybean moments. 

The biggest thing I took away from Trish's TED Talk was that sometimes you're going to be lucky enough to create a jelly bean moment, but sometimes you aren't and it's okay.  Sometimes 2+2=4 and that's the way it is.  But those special times when 2+2=4,000,000 are what makes the other times worth it.  You never know when it's going to be magical like that, but it's great to keep chasing those moments. 

Trish was awesome in her TED talk - definitely the highlight of the day.  She is just as animated and engaging as you'd expect her to be. Laugh
  • Wow, it sounds wonderful.  I really hope that it does end up online eventually as I would love to watch it.  I am glad you were able to go and show her some boardie support.
  • DJRose said:

<snip>used to believe that Donnie lived in her record player.  So when she would choreograph huge routines in her bedroom, she would turn the record player around so that Donnie couldn't see the bad stuff.  

<snip>

realized that her baby brother was just as good a collaborator, and an even tougher critic than Donnie.

She also talked about the time when on the way home from Church one Easter Sunday, she and Damian were in the backseat listening to "Eye Of the Tiger" on a walkman and the jelly beans they'd gotten at Church started dancing.  She said that everything else around them seemed to be in sync with the jelly beans dancing to the music playing in their headphones.  She also said that Damian saw it too, and that now they spend their lives trying to create what they call Jellybean moments. 

I love hearing this stuff.  Thank you for posting this!

Reminds me of my sister and I with the black & white TVs we had in our rooms on mute and our stereos on, seeing whether the action on TV would match up with the music to make "videos."  I seem to remember hilarious Little House on the Prairie/Duran Duran combos.

We have not exactly put our "creative process" to the same good--or any?--use in the ensuing years, so the similarity of course is marginal at best ... 
  • Happy Birthday, Trish!  You're pretty spectacular.
  • Wow it is Trish's birthday?  That's so close to Damian's.  I wonder if they did the collective birthday thing growing up.

Anyhoo, happy birthday Trish!  Thanks for being so awesome.
  • For those of you who are not my Facebook friends (and, um, why aren't you?) here's a link to Trish's TED Talk.