In this Discussion

Please report new message board bugs and annoyances here

Comments

• @becksioux i'm performing the upgrade now...  let's see if that resolves the posting issue.  the upgrade itself is pretty instantaneous once i perform it so that's not the cause of the issue... more later.

eThan
  • ok the upgrade is done. seems that it's going ok. @becksioux if you could let people in the forum know to post here if they have question/comments/troubles that would be great. and let me know if your vid embed problem was resolved. if not, i'll look into it.

cheers,
    eThan
  • There's a few problems.

#1 The font. It is very hard to read. Is there any way it can be changed to something a little more friendly to the ol' eyeballs? Also, the "a" and "o" are very similar looking.

#2 It looks like all the options to write a post are gone. Options being embedding a video, adding a picture, using HTML to post. There were a bunch of buttons at the top of the reply box that are now missing.

#3 The colored indicators of new threads are gone. The little speech bubble was red when there was something new in a thread that hadn't been read yet. Now it's all the same. While the ticker on the right shows when the last thing was posted, if you're not aware of the last time you were here, you might not know if you've read it or not.

Thanks again, eThan, for working on the boards! If I see anything else wonky, you know I'll post about it.
  • something definitely needs to be done about the font...
  • @beckysioux Hmmm it sounds like you're not too jazzed about the new version? I see what you mean about the missing options in the new post editor. That is a strange thing for them to have stripped out indeed. I'll look into this. The font is the site-font, so it's logical that the forum is now using it as well, but I can see if I can't find a way to change it. As far as #3, this may be a bit more tricky. Bare with me...

eThan
  • There have also been several bugs with the math system since the update. If this goes up, it will be my first post of about 5 attempted.
  • Yeah, the math! 5 and 7 do not equal 12. Frown
    Even if the font were larger, that would be better, but still. Does not work at this size!
    I'm missing the spell check function - my vocabulary exceeds my spelling ability.
  • HI there. When I load the page, it does not track new messages. I thought things were just really quiet until I decided to mention this today and saw that there were lots of posts I hadn't read because they weren't tagged as new.
  • BeckiWitte said
    HI there. When I load the page, it does not track new messages. I thought things were just really quiet until I decided to mention this today and saw that there were lots of posts I hadn't read because they weren't tagged as new.
    on the main page of the forum scroll down past the subforum options and it lets you know which topics have new posts...
  • Hi all, I'm sorry this "upgrade" seems to have made things worse!  Also sorry for the delay in addressing some of the troubles.  I've just changed the editor so you should now have options back.  Does this meet your needs?

@BeckiWitte and @darbie_starpower, can you let me know is this problem about tracking new messages solved?  How did the previous version track new messages?

And the math probem is it solved?  When exactly is it asking you to solve a math problem? 

eThan
  • first, thanks for getting our options back...

as for the tracking of new messages, on the previous version of the board the color of the speech bubble next to a topic was different to indicate new posts, where as now they are tracked on the main forum page rather than by the individual topics, which is a bit inconvenient, but it works...
  • @darbie_starpower ok so maybe it's a matter of adapting to the new technique vv new messages.  i'm gonna post your comment on the forum of the people who maintain this software and perhaps i can figure out how to retrieve the old functionality.  is the consensus among forum users that that was better you think?

also note, i've just updated the front to something that is more readable hopefully.  thanks for all the feedback! 

eThan
  • eThan said

And the math probem is it solved?  When exactly is it asking you to solve a math problem? 

When you add a new post, the site prompts you to answer a simple math question, i.e., 10+5, something like that.  There have been a few bugs lately where the site reads someone's answer as incorrect, even though it is correct, I've had that happen with any question to which the answer is 12.

It seems to be less frequent, but there were a few cases of it happening to me yesterday.
  • my eyes thank you for changing the font... and now that the font has been changed i see there is a drop down menu on each page that will take you to the new posts, which is kinda awesome...
  • The math problem seems to be completely fixed for me!  I was completely blocked from posting at all because it always thought my math was incorrect, but I've yet to have a problem posting since the fix, so thank you thank you thank you!
  • When I loaded this page toady, the system identified me as "ninja cat."  I had to log out and log in as myself.   Is there a Ninja Cat boardie?  If not then this may be an internal problem with my computer, but if there is, then there could be a problem here.

Becki W
  • BeckiWitte said
    When I loaded this page toady, the system identified me as "ninja cat."  I had to log out and log in as myself.   Is there a Ninja Cat boardie?  If not then this may be an internal problem with my computer, but if there is, then there could be a problem here.

Becki W

I believe there is a boardie by the name NinjaCat, so I would guess the problem is with the site.
  • Drat!  Well I am glad I reported it.  The system knew who I am today, so good news there.
  • @BeckiWitte, yes thanks for reporting that!!  It is really odd that that would happen.  Please do let me know if something like that happens again.  

Everyone else, re the math problem,  I'm glad it seems to be fixed.  If it continues, let me know.  

Till then I'm glad things seem to be more or less ok on the boards.  

eThan
  • I experienced the math problem for the first time last night.  I tried to submit a post 7 times and kept getting an error message that said the math was incorrect.  Just tried again today and this time it accepted my post on the first try.