In this Discussion

Random Stuff

Comments

• ^^ laugh.gif

I doubt that we're a nation of geniuses, lol. You should see some of the morons on the roads here.
    But how could you avoid parking like that? I don't get it; how do you park otherwise, if you're not in a parking lot?
  • I don't think there's as many places to parallel park here. Or something. I (well... the person driving the car that I am in) always end up in a (free) parking lot when I'm driving. Unless of course we go to Toronto or one of the huge cities, then we're parallel parking all the time. huh.gif

We're talking about this right?
  • ^^ Yep, that's what I mean, like in the Federal Truth In Music project.
    "Park gently baby...."
    But less cocked up haha.

So how can you park if not like that?
  • QUOTE (Electra @ Jun 21 2007, 08:58 AM)
    Guys, what do you mean by parallel parking? Because I know it to be parking parallel to the curb, between two cars, but it can't be that because everyone parallel parks ALL the time over here.... Confused much?

i live in the middle of nowhere, there are no curbs here, the only time i have to worry about parrallel parking is when i go to a city, and when in a city i usually just pay to park in a lot...
  • well, if you're pulling to the side of the road and there's no other cars near you, then that's not parallel parking, that's just pulling over (? I guess haha)

parallel parking (to me) is when you're trying to get into a tight space in between two other cars, like in that pretty diagram... happens mostly in city/urban environments. In suburbs and rural places you can usually find somewhere to park that doesn't require the skills of true parallel parking.

which means that, although I only live ten miles from Boston, I still haven't learned how to parallel park. my mom absolutely refuses to teach me, because she hates it so much. It wasn't on my road test or anything.
    I should ask my dad, he grew up in Queens, so he's good at it.
    oh well.
  • Ahhh...
    OK, my dad just explained it to me. You have sort of mini driveways most places, right? Like outside of shops and stuff. We don't have that. We're not a nation of geniuses (TRUST ME) we've just learnt to do it that way because the streets are a lot smaller here, so there is no other option for us. Parallel parking's the only way to go.

Thank you, lovely replying people!!

Also - apparently the British have a fear of touching one another's bumpers (what are they for, if not to bump?? Idiots...), so not only do they all parallel park, but they do so without the slightest contact with any neighboring cars! Wow. I have a whole new respect for the spacial awareness of Britons...
  • I cannot drive well (well, actually, I can. It just makes me nervous)

I prefer the passenger seat thankyouverymuch
  • glad that got cleared up, hehe =)

I've only bumped another car once, while I was brand new on my license by myself and still couldn't really park the perpendicular, parking-lot way. it was really really light, though, and I've gotten a ton better at parking, I swear!

on an unrelated note: It annoys me to no end how everyone in Boston ignores the MLS and the Revolution. I mean, yah, no one cares about soccer here, blah blah blah. but seriously. WBZ interviewed the owners of all the sports clubs. the Revs are owned by Robert Kraft, the same guy that owns the Patriots. They interviewed him, obviously, but there was not ONE mention of the Revs. and the soccer season basically just started. ALL they talked about was the Pats, and they're barely in training mode. gah. I mean, I know Boston well enough to know that the interview has to be mostly about the Pats, but you'd think they'd at least talk about the Revs a little. Especially since we've been to the MLS Finals like, three times in the past four or five years. I mean, seriously.

okay. rant over.
  • I found the headphone plug on my computer at work. I was really excited, especially since I'm computer iliterate (except for Microsoft Excel. I kick it's butt all over the place).

I've listened to 3 This American Life episodes today.

I am not ashamed.

Every day, while I'm leaving work, the sprinklers go off across the street on the lawn outside the grocery store. Every day I wrestle with the decision about whether or not I should run through these sprinklers. Tomorrow is the day.

Today is the kind of day when I just want to go outside and take pictures with my Polaroid.

My family decided to turn the sandbox in the backyard into a garden. We put in fresh dirt and planted tomatoes and sunflowers and beans and even some nasturtiums for some added pretty. I've been going out every day and watering the garden, weeding it, and taking care of it. My grandmother has a green thumb; I really hope I inherited it. Something dug up my nasturtiums in the front. It's too bad my cat likes to attack everything EXCEPT when it's tearing up my flowers. I feel like a 50s housewife. In fact, I think I'm going to start buying dresses like these:
    and baking lots of pies!

That's all.
  • QUOTE (thephantommilk @ Jun 21 2007, 12:26 PM)
    on an unrelated note: It annoys me to no end how everyone in Boston ignores the MLS and the Revolution. I mean, yah, no one cares about soccer here, blah blah blah. but seriously. WBZ interviewed the owners of all the sports clubs. the Revs are owned by Robert Kraft, the same guy that owns the Patriots. They interviewed him, obviously, but there was not ONE mention of the Revs. and the soccer season basically just started. ALL they talked about was the Pats, and they're barely in training mode. gah. I mean, I know Boston well enough to know that the interview has to be mostly about the Pats, but you'd think they'd at least talk about the Revs a little. Especially since we've been to the MLS Finals like, three times in the past four or five years. I mean, seriously.

okay. rant over.

hahah i know so little about soccer its embarasing... but hey the fifa under 20 is gunna be in toronto WOOT!
  • the best part about soccer U-20 games is that half the kids on the teams are already superstars. I mean, I know that kind of happens in a lot of sports, but it's really bad in soccer... like Freddy Adu. he's my age, and he's already been playing professionally for three or four years. He was signed at fourteen, I think.

sigh, the Revs just need someone like David Beckham, haha.... I'm sure the Galaxy aren't getting ignored by anyone...
  • YAY FETE DE LA MUSIQUE!

There is totally a concert going on outside my window somewhere. And I'm seeing Stuck in the Sound AGAIN tonight for FREE in a city square OMG.

And then doing some other stuff. Mmm.
  • QUOTE (thephantommilk @ Jun 21 2007, 12:46 PM)
    the best part about soccer U-20 games is that half the kids on the teams are already superstars. I mean, I know that kind of happens in a lot of sports, but it's really bad in soccer... like Freddy Adu. he's my age, and he's already been playing professionally for three or four years. He was signed at fourteen, I think.

sigh, the Revs just need someone like David Beckham, haha.... I'm sure the Galaxy aren't getting ignored by anyone...

14! thats sooo crazy! let me think... what was i doing a 14? i think i was still having problems with my fractions back then rolleyes.gif . anyone who has enough agility/ gracefulness for organized sport is alright in my book

QUOTE (jedi_grrlie @ Jun 21 2007, 02:05 PM)
    YAY FETE DE LA MUSIQUE!

There is totally a concert going on outside my window somewhere. And I'm seeing Stuck in the Sound AGAIN tonight for FREE in a city square OMG.

And then doing some other stuff. Mmm.

oo have fun jedi!

Random: we just had a fire drill... but i prefer to say that i was "forcefully ejected from the building"
  • QUOTE (Felster @ Jun 21 2007, 09:20 PM)
    Random: we just had a fire drill... but i prefer to say that i was "forcefully ejected from the building"

I hate fire drills. Ridiculously pointless things.
    Except when I was at Nottingham uni the Hall of Residence next door had one in the middle on the night, so it was so much fun to watch from my window as hoards of teenagers were "forcefully ejected" in their night clothes/underwear laugh.gif
  • QUOTE (GirlInTheDark @ Aug 27 2005, 12:53 AM)

ahhh yes...that would be chocolate pie.
    i am the pie queen!

I wish we had such good pie in the UK, I love pie
  • well you guys have... pudding, so that good right?
  • Its all about cake, pudding only really gets used as a term as the course that comes after dinner... but then im from the north so we talk a bit funny anyway.. ive had good 'pie' in the US mmmm
  • QUOTE (Electra @ Jun 21 2007, 09:24 PM)
    I hate fire drills. Ridiculously pointless things.
    Except when I was at Nottingham uni the Hall of Residence next door had one in the middle on the night, so it was so much fun to watch from my window as hoards of teenagers were "forcefully ejected" in their night clothes/underwear laugh.gif

When i was at uni it was funny to have fire drills at night at halls so you could see all the 'additional' housemates there were with sheepish looks on their faces after having perhaps not a lot of sleep
  • Ah, Paolo Nutini...
  • ^^^

I KNOW right?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!!?!?!!?!!!!!!!!

wub.gif