In this Discussion

Random Stuff

Comments

• It's amazing to me how long Chinese food can keep blink.gif
  • ATTENTION: Houston-area ANIMAL LOVERS, Montgomery County Animal Shelter is closing tomorrow (SEPT 21). You can adopt for FREE tomorrow between 12-4. They will be EUTHANIZING all animals without a home, so go save get yourself a cute lil puppy or kitty! 30 cats and 80 dogs left.

PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD!!
  • Study Abroad is making my head explode.

I went to the Study Abroad Fair on Chapin lawn yesterday, thinking, "Oh I'd like to go somewhere in the UK. That would be nice, cause I'm not likely to be able to just visit any time soon. And I can't go to a foreign language country, so that'd be perfect."
    I was expecting there to be maybe 3 tables for SA programs in the UK/Ireland.
    There were like 20.
    So by the time I got through them all, I had brochures from maybe 9 programs. I went online and narrowed it down to between 3 and 5 programs that I'm definitely interested in. But seriously, that was terrifying.

Sooooooo the ones I'm interested in are Manchester, Cardiff, and Bristol.
    And then maybe Glasgow or Edinburgh, but I'm not sure.

Next semester I'll have to start applying and stuff, and asking for academic references, and that's just gonna be great.
  • QUOTE (thephantommilk @ Sep 23 2009, 01:16 PM)
    Study Abroad is making my head explode.

I went to the Study Abroad Fair on Chapin lawn yesterday, thinking, "Oh I'd like to go somewhere in the UK. That would be nice, cause I'm not likely to be able to just visit any time soon. And I can't go to a foreign language country, so that'd be perfect."
    There were like 20.
    So by the time I got through them all, I had brochures from maybe 9 programs. I went online and narrowed it down to between 3 and 5 programs that I'm definitely interested in. But seriously, that was terrifying.

Next semester I'll have to start applying and stuff, and asking for academic references, and that's just gonna be great.

OMG
    That is so awesome!
    I'm so excited for you/jealous!
  • QUOTE (thephantommilk @ Sep 23 2009, 07:16 PM)
    Study Abroad is making my head explode.

There were like 20.

SWEET!!! I've never been to Manchester, but I've got friends in Cardiff and I've been to Bristol a couple of times, it's really quite beautiful. Whichever you decide, let me know and I'll come visit!!!

I just got back from a 3 week trip to Sri Lanka with some friends from university. I had the most incredible time, it's such a gorgeous country. I went on elephant rides and white water rafting, tried so many fantastic foods and experienced so much culture I could never have dreamed of before! Absolutely amazing. Ahhhh!!!
  • I wonder if I told my cousin that Edward Cullen only liked smart girls, would she learn how to spell?
  • QUOTE (DJRose @ Oct 9 2009, 04:21 PM)
    I wonder if I told my cousin that Edward Cullen only liked smart girls, would she learn how to spell?

Is this the same cousin who didn't know what Chucks are?

PS : My landladies are fucking crazy, ridiculous, greedy, racist old crones and I HATE THEM.
  • QUOTE (jedi_grrlie @ Oct 9 2009, 04:25 PM)
    Is this the same cousin who didn't know what Chucks are?

PS : My landladies are fucking crazy, ridiculous, greedy, racist old crones and I HATE THEM.

HAHAHAHAHAHA, yes. She's 13. I can't get too down on her. I love her immensely, I just wish she'd learn to spell.

I will come beat up your landladies.
  • EVERYTHING CHANGES NOW.
  • Update on the SA:

Manchester is still my first choice, but now I'm seriously considering Edinburgh because they have a good linguistics program. I'm so conflicted D:

Also if I design my own major, which I'm seriously considering, I can only go for a semester. Which is frustrating to the extreme, but I'll take what I can get. Maybe I'll like, go in the spring and then stay over there for the summer. I have the money (thank god for random inheritance from relative you don't really know/aren't true relatives but w/e) and I'd like to spend more than a couple of months living abroad, kthx.
  • QUOTE (thephantommilk @ Oct 15 2009, 10:15 AM)
    Also if I design my own major, which I'm seriously considering, I can only go for a semester. Which is frustrating to the extreme, but I'll take what I can get. Maybe I'll like, go in the spring and then stay over there for the summer. I have the money (thank god for random inheritance from relative you don't really know/aren't true relatives but w/e) and I'd like to spend more than a couple of months living abroad, kthx.

What are you planning to major in? I went in planning to design my own major, but then I got lazy and decided to major and minor. If you're okay with not doing something super-specific (although if it's linguistics, that might be difficult...), I'd say forgo creating a major and getting to study abroad for more than one semester. That first semester goes FAST. Like, faster than you'll believe. It's definitely worth it to finagle in more than just one semester.

Then again, you could always search for internships abroad while you're there and use your Praxis dollars over the summer...
  • QUOTE (jedi_grrlie @ Oct 15 2009, 04:14 PM)
    What are you planning to major in? I went in planning to design my own major, but then I got lazy and decided to major and minor. If you're okay with not doing something super-specific (although if it's linguistics, that might be difficult...), I'd say forgo creating a major and getting to study abroad for more than one semester. That first semester goes FAST. Like, faster than you'll believe. It's definitely worth it to finagle in more than just one semester.

Then again, you could always search for internships abroad while you're there and use your Praxis dollars over the summer...

While, the problem is that they stopped approving a full year abroad in the UK in the first place, so if I wanted to go for a year in the UK I'd have to petition by November 1. And I need to bring my GPA up, so that's not gonna happen.

I really think it'd be too much of a headache. But yeah, staying over the summer and working/interning/hanging out is pretty much what I'm thinking. That'd be cool.

And yeah, I'm thinking of designing my own major in historical linguistics/philology. I'm working for the DeVilliers this year so I need to talk to them about it because they're like the go-to professors for linguistics-type-things.
  • Ok, I just had the most RANDOM PHONE CALL EVER at work. Someone called and asked if I could recommend a good place from which to buy a present for an attorney. Not one of the attorneys at my firm, mind you, but some other attorney. Yes, because all attorneys want the same presents.

I told him to google it.
  • ^^^ See, that almost makes sense, but it's like they didn't fully think it through.
    I guess it made your work-day a little less boring, though biggrin.gif

On an unrelated note, I'm sorry if it seems like I'm only ever here to complain about school, guys. This is seriously all I've been thinking about for the past couple of weeks. I swear I'll be more entertaining soon smile.gif
  • ive 'lost' 6 facebook 'friends' in the past week, im sure i didnt like them much anyways, but its drivig me crazy trying to figure out who it is!
  • QUOTE (sweetness @ Oct 17 2009, 03:30 PM)
    ive 'lost' 6 facebook 'friends' in the past week, im sure i didnt like them much anyways, but its drivig me crazy trying to figure out who it is!

It ain't me joe. Tempe keep her friends close and her enemies even closer. Not that you be my enemy. I'm just saying. BTW, why am I talking somewhat like a lolcat?
  • QUOTE (Tempe Arizona @ Oct 17 2009, 06:58 PM)
    Tempe keep her friends close and her enemies even closer. Not that you be my enemy. I'm just saying.

you still haven't confirmed me as a friend... does that make me a friend of an enemy?!?
  • QUOTE (darbie_starpower @ Oct 17 2009, 07:32 PM)
    you still haven't confirmed me as a friend... does that make me a friend of an enemy?!?

Ooo, can we be frenemies? That word always makes me giggle. How can I not have confirmed you?! What is the matter with me! Well, for one thing, FB has not liked me lately. For instance, when I go to confirm a friend, I just get a nasty message saying my connection failed. I do not like to fail. Please to forgive me, lady darbie! This travesty will be corrected!

Edit: check if we're friends now. I think I forced FB to play with me, but I'm not sure.
  • QUOTE (Tempe Arizona @ Oct 17 2009, 09:42 PM)
    Ooo, can we be frenemies? .

yay! we're totally frenemies now... now if only that hyperactive leprechaun would confirm me as a friend...