In this Discussion

Guess people's ages from their artwork/pictures...

Comments

• QUOTE (cadillac64 @ Dec 29 2005, 07:12 PM)
    Ok, so the shading beneath Damian's chin is too heavy and a little off. It almost makes him look like he's trying to grow a beard. Know what I mean? Something about his nose is wrong, but I can't quite put my finger on it...I really like the eyes, although they're a bit too far apart. I love that you can see them in this drawing. It gives him so much more life. After all, eyes are the windows into our souls...Over all, I think it's great, but I do have one request. Do you think you could try drawing him with a happier expression? I love it when he smiles... biggrin.gif

I love you.

Sorry. But NO ONE critiques my stuff like that. I had one guy say he was afraid that he'd make me cry. THAT I found rather offending.

Anyways, I shall fix the shading under the chin!! I understand about the beard thing. XD'

And the nose, I noticed that, too. I aint' so good at the noses, but I'll keep trying to perfect the 'Damian nose'!

THAT'S whats wrong with the eyes! Thaaaank yooouuuu! I thought it was that the surrounding lines were too thick...I think that's the case too, though.

Hah hah, I was thinking of making him smile, but I had picture reference, and was afraid that I'd set the whole thing off and totally ruin the picture. But now that I have someone else backing me up, I'll re-do it. But the lips will be closed. XD' I'll try one sometime soon with a full smile. If I can get reference of him like that...everyone's faces look different when they smile. Yea. I just stated the obvious.

So, of course I'll draw him with a happier expression!! I can obtain reference somehow or another.

Also, I'd like to try Tim again, too. GOD, I love that guy's sideburns. So once it's finished, I'd love another critique of yours, if you'd be willing.
  • You keep drawing. I'll keep critiquing. I'm good at this. I can't draw very well though.
  • I know this is late YeOldeEnglish, but I really like your drawing style. I really don't know how to explain it, but it's very defined in a good way.

Keep drawing; you're awesome.
  • QUOTE (YeOldeEnglish @ Nov 7 2005, 03:20 AM)
    Hah, thanks. My real name? Tyana. But I bet you 5 bucks that you can't pronounce that correctly. So Mara it is. I like my middle name better, anyways.

solike tell us phonetically..... some of us on the board take pride in calling members by their full names as they know nobody else does, such as mister david. haha.

i'm jen by the way. i've been ill, and absent for a loooooong time. and i'm probably more obssessed with okgo than you appear to be, i stalked them all across my country biggrin.gif HAHA!
  • cadillac64: Thank you! I really appreciate that! But I think you should post some of your work. I feel rude only posting mine...

tonetoile: Aw..thank you! I really never thought I had a style...x_O

The End Has No Jen: It's pronounced Tee-awn-uhh. And I'm sorry you were ill. From your message, you implied that you still are. Get better soon!

Hah. Yeeaaa...I think I'm more obsessed with AC/DC's Angus Young than OK Go in whole...it's sad, really.
  • Ahh, cadillac64...may I ask yet again for a critique?

Speaking of my unnatural obsession with AC/DC's lead guitarist Angus Young...
    [attachment=218:attachment]
    I apologize for it being so big. But if I downsized it anymore, it would kill the detail that I nearly died over (specifically on the guitar), and it'd become pixelated.

Yea. All in all, this piece took me about 6 hours. I enjoyed every minute of it, though. Except for the fret board. That I dreaded.

His left (our right) hand is a bit off too, I know. And I've also gotten someone saying his torso is too long, but I think that's because you're unable to see where his legs start; the guitar is in the way. 2 people also said he was a bit tilted. At first, I thought it was the angle of the scan, for I had to re-scan it 3 or 4 times because of the paper tilting to one angle, and that this time I was still off. Then I looked, and realized it's identical to how it looks in my sketchbook. Now I've come to the conclusion that it's how he's walking, and swaying to one side. And I believe the left leg (his right) being partially behind his other contributes to this.

But I don't know. Yea. May I request another critique?
  • QUOTE (YeOldeEnglish @ Dec 30 2005, 12:01 PM)
    Ahh, cadillac64...may I ask yet again for a critique?

Speaking of my unnatural obsession with AC/DC's lead guitarist Angus Young...
    [attachment=218:attachment]
    I  apologize for it being so big. But if I downsized it anymore, it would kill the detail that I nearly died over (specifically on the guitar), and it'd become pixelated.

Yea. All in all, this piece took me about 6 hours. I enjoyed every minute of it, though. Except for the fret board. That I dreaded.

His left (our right) hand is a bit off too, I know. And I've also gotten someone saying his torso is too long, but I think that's because you're unable to see where his legs start; the guitar is in the way.  2 people also said he was a bit tilted. At first, I thought it was the angle of the scan, for I had to re-scan it 3 or 4 times because of the paper tilting to one angle, and that this time I was still off. Then I looked, and realized it's identical to how it looks in my sketchbook. Now I've come to the conclusion that it's how he's walking, and swaying to one side. And I believe the left leg (his right) being partially behind his other contributes to this.

But I don't know. Yea. May I request another critique?

Of course, you can. This one may not be as good though because I don't know much about ACDC. I like their music though. Ok, so I found these pictures, and I will critique based on them.
    [URL=http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c40/cadillac64/angus_young2.jpg][IMG]
    Now, you didn't really draw his face, that's the first thing. From what I've seen this man has a wide range of facial expression, and amazing face-contorting capabilities. Most artists would kill for that kind of subject. I have stories, but they would take to long. Secondly, it's alright for him to lean to one side if it's intentional. If not, then make his front heel turn inward a bit. Just a bit. That should make him seem at least balanced. I think his torso is fine. Some people have torsos that are long in proportion to the rest of their bodies. However, his head is too small, for his long torso to look natural. You know? That and his shoulders are too slender, which kind of gives him the shape of a woman. Guys are usually top heavy. He's a short, stalky kind of a man. He also looks like he's caressing his guitar instead of playing it. Hands are always hard, though. His face is also a bit squarer than you make it out to be. Anyway, I have spoken. Tell me how it turns out, alright? smile.gif
  • QUOTE (cadillac64 @ Dec 30 2005, 01:18 PM)
    Of course, you can. This one may not be as good though because I don't know much about ACDC. I like their music though. Ok, so I found these pictures, and I will critique based on them.
    [URL=http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c40/cadillac64/angus_young2.jpg][IMG]
    Now, you didn't really draw his face, that's the first thing. From what I've seen this man has a wide range of facial expression, and amazing face-contorting capabilities. Most artists would kill for that kind of subject. I have stories, but they would take to long. Secondly, it's alright for him to lean to one side if it's intentional. If not, then make his front heel turn inward a bit. Just a bit. That should make him seem at least balanced. I think his torso is fine. Some people have torsos that are long in proportion to the rest of their bodies. However, his head is too small, for his long torso to look natural. You know? That and his shoulders are too slender, which kind of gives him the shape of a woman. Guys are usually top heavy. He's a short, stalky kind of a man. He also looks like he's caressing his guitar instead of playing it. Hands are always hard, though. His face is also a bit squarer than you make it out to be. Anyway, I have spoken. Tell me how it turns out, alright? smile.gif

Sorry, accidentally pressed enter before I could type anything...it was posted blank.

Anyways.

Yea, I just never got around to the face. The picture was mainly focused on his body, though I have a lovely picture of his face that I plan to begin on soon (the one featured on the cover of the album Highway to Hell.) And now that I look at the picture again, I did accidentally draw him at an angle. Oh well, I guess.

I noticed that head thing, and enlarged it awhile back, but when I asked someone else they said it looked fine. So I blame them. (Not really.)

I agree with the shoulders. Oh, I forgot to include my reference (love it) for the picture. Kinda a major item to forget, so I'm sorry about that.
    [attachment=219:attachment]
    In the picture, he's not really playing his guitar, more caressing it, as you said. And I agree about the face. As this was a semi-finished drawing, the only things I will be able to correct (or be willing to. I'm lazy.) will be enlarging the head, fixing the shoulders, and squaring off the chin.

Thank you so much! The only input I got from my friends was, as I said, his torso was too long and the bottom half of his body was too large in comparison to the top half, seperated by the guitar.

I'll fix those right now and re-scan it!
  • Okay, updated. Thank you so much cadillac64, you've helped me so much. It looks much better. In a folder I have both the older version(s), and the latest one, I can compare them side-by-side, and see a major improvement.

This file is pretty large. I tried downsizing it, but again, it became pixelated. No matter how little I did. So...brace yourself..?

http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/8411/an...ffgde0151yl.jpg

There isn't enough global space left, either. So...there it is. I enlarged the shoulders and head, and made his chin more square, as you suggested. I wish I could do more for his torso, I believe I did wind up stretching it. And I'm sad that I couldn't straighten his stance. But, oh well, I guess. And this time, the scan is perfectly straight. On the preview image it shows where the paper is located. Yea...

Also, on Tim. I decided to just add him to the Damian picture (whom is now smiling), and now I'm just thinking of doing the whole band. I was contemplating having Tim placing his right (our left) hand on Damian's shoulder (he's behind Damian and to our right), but then I thought it would be better to have him crossing his arms, where you could only see his elbow and one hand peeking out.

I have yet to add Andy and Dan, and am still thinking about where they should be placed, and how. Any suggestions?
  • Dear god. Finished with the OK Go group picture.

Few things: Damian looks mentally ill, Dan looks pouty, Andy's left eye is too small, and Tim looks like a child.

Certain parts of the picture got blurred by my scanner, so I plan to scan it again with the school's scanner on Tuesday.

I was going to draw in some sort of floral design at the bottom, surrounding them, but I was too tired. I finished this at 2 this morning. Out of all of them, I think Andy turned out the best.

And I'll be horrified if I get them mixed up again. If so, I blame lack of sleep?

Anyways, who I believe is Dan (hah hah) turned out smaller than all the others. Or, maybe it's just that he's placed the lowest? I don't know. I think his head is diproportionate to everybody elses.

On DeviantART, the picture is located here: http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/27121029/

The picture itself is available on ImageShack: http://img307.imageshack.us/img307/3977/okgo0555db.jpg

Yea. Since I do not have an exact time, it took about 5 or 6 rotation's of OK Go's CDs. Heh...erm. Yes. Critiques are urged. Unless you're restating what I already said myself.

EDIT: And please excuse my bad shading on the larger spaces. As I said, I was tired. For example: when I first scanned the picture, I thought EVERYTHING was blurry, so I kept rescanning it. Until I realized I was just looking over my glasses, not through.

Either I was tired, or just being a total moron. Both, I say.
  • You have alot of talent... how can I critique something so cool?!! Very awesome tongue.gif
  • QUOTE (Felster @ Jan 1 2006, 07:13 PM)
    You have alot of talent... how can I critique something so cool?!! Very awesome tongue.gif

Thank you...!

But there are things to critique! There always are!!
  • (I need a theme song for my entrances) tongue.gif Ok. Here goes. Starting with Damian: His nose is off center, but you tried to keep his eyes level with the page. I understand the difficulty in drawing him correctly since his head is tilted at such a wierd angle. The shading of his nose is a bit too heavy, as are all the eyes. It becomes difficult to distinguish the iris and pupil from the rest of the eye, and it makes it hard to read any expression that their eyes could be conveying. The shading beneath his cheekbones is wrong. His cheekbones are higher than that. And (just a side note) it may just be my imagination, but you left me wondering what Damian's hands are up to? It's a joke...Ummm. I can't tell where Damian's neck ends or begins. The same with Andy but only on one side. Damian's lips are a bit to plump. Dan's head is lopsided. And the shading below his chin is sooo wierd. Don't know what else to say about him. I can't tell where Tim's focus is. His jaw should also be a bit rounder. Just a smidgeon, though. Out of all of these figures I think Andy is the most lifelike. You have a tendency in all of your drawings to make people's eyes look droopy. I'm not saying they should look chinese or anything, but...yeah. They look tired. And it wouldn't help to add a smile or too. So yeah, I'm not being harsh, I hope. I really like Andy though.
  • QUOTE (cadillac64 @ Jan 1 2006, 10:14 PM)
    (I need a theme song for my entrances) tongue.gif Ok. Here goes. Starting with Damian: His nose is off center, but you tried to keep his eyes level with the page. I understand the difficulty in drawing him correctly since his head is tilted at such a wierd angle. The shading of his nose is a bit too heavy, as are all the eyes. It becomes difficult to distinguish the iris and pupil from the rest of the eye, and it makes it hard to read any expression that their eyes could be conveying. The shading beneath his cheekbones is wrong. His cheekbones are higher than that. And (just a side note) it may just be my imagination, but you left me wondering what Damian's hands are up to? It's a joke...Ummm. I can't tell where Damian's neck ends or begins. The same with Andy but only on one side. Damian's lips are a bit to plump. Dan's head is lopsided. And the shading below his chin is sooo wierd. Don't know what else to say about him. I can't tell where Tim's focus is. His jaw should also be a bit rounder. Just a smidgeon, though. Out of all of these figures I think Andy is the most lifelike. You have a tendency in all of your drawings to make people's eyes look droopy. I'm not saying they should look chinese or anything, but...yeah. They look tired. And it wouldn't help to add a smile or too. So yeah, I'm not being harsh, I hope. I really like Andy though.

Oh, don't ever feel like you're being harsh! The only way you could be 'harsh' is by not critiquing me.

About the cheekbones; that is actually the remainder of the old Damian drawing...y'know that one I showed you of only Damian? Front view? I wound up erasing that and re-drawing him. XD' Yeeeaaa...

Hah hah, Damian's hand was going to be over Dan's shoulder, but I decided not to. I'll let you decide it's current location...

Sorry.

Anyways, I actually only drew Damian with one lip. It's hard to tell, an optical illusion I guess you could say. That 'top lip' is his teeth. Can't really shade teeth, so I wound up leaving it. I would add the seperate teeth, but I have a haunting past with drawing teeth, and teeth in general. My braces still make me bleed. Every damn time I brush them, my left-upper canine tooth gushes blood.

Eh. Well, there are actually a lot of things wrong with Dan. XD' I started him at about 1 AM, and lost my sense of reality about an hour before. And his chin. In the picture I had for reference, he had his chin kind of pulled in, and with the shadow of a beard he had, it created an extra little roll, though it sounds harsh to say, creating more to shade. But I still messed it up, yea.

I agree with what you said about Tim's jaw. Yea...speaking of smiles, or facial gestures in general, I've found some great pictures of Angus Young, and this time I plan to do nothing but a head shot. I think I might start yet another creepily-obsessive-anatomical-studies-page, like I did Matt. At least, anatomical studies was my excuse for that. (No, I'm just kidding. They were all notes on anatomy and how his hair moves...o_o)

Hm..droopy eyes. I'll have to practice on that. OH, imagine that. A whole page in my sketchbook totally devoted to eyes. Now that'd be creepy as hell.

Thank you so much! Every OTHER person I asked said "There's nothing to critique!" and the similar. I really appreciate you telling me what's REALLY wrong!

Okay, story time. In the 6th grade, I drew this one, particularly abhorrent picture of a girl. Though, at the time, I think that was when I needed new glasses, so it looked lovely to me. So, I ran up to my friend Kia, and showed her. Her response was all praise. Asking her if there was anything wrong, or anything I should fix, she shook her head and said it was fine.

2 years later, I find that same picture. Nearly blinded, I bring it to school, and show Kia. "Oh my GOD, that's so creepy!" is her response. I think people are just afraid of hurting my feelings, or something. If I ask for a negative response, I don't think I'll respond negatively to that negative response. Erm...yea.

I'm done with that. Expect a new Angus picture soon, friend. Once more, thank you!! I am forever in your debt.
  • maybe you should be more direct and ask, "what's wrong with this?" or you should ask the kind of person that laughs when you dress funny, tells you when your hair looks bad or when you have food on your teeth, fixes your shirt collar or tucks in your shirt tag...know anyone like that?
  • QUOTE (shades of blue @ Jan 1 2006, 11:28 PM)
    maybe you should be more direct and ask, "what's wrong with this?" or you should ask the kind of person that laughs when you dress funny, tells you when your hair looks bad or when you have food on your teeth, fixes your shirt collar or tucks in your shirt tag...know anyone like that?

Possibly...

I know but one person like that, and I don't like her.

My sister.

The last time I showed her my art was 4 years ago. Her only response was "Cool. Go away."

That was her only response ever since I first showed her my art.

Now she's 18, and I don't plan on talking to her until she moves out.

Sorry, bit o' angst, there. Let's see...

Well, half the time, all the people I know just laugh at me and don't tell me why. GOOD FRIENDS I HAVE.

So no, I know no one like that...I could always just go up to someone random. FORCE them to tell me what's wrong?
  • i'm sure you'll find other people that will be willing to give you helpful critiques. you've already found one in the cadillac sarah. and i'm honest, so if i have an opinion, i'll give an honest one...but do you have any friends that like to draw? if you take up drawing in school, you're bound to meet others who share an interest in drawing and you guys can discuss it...not to mention your teacher will very likely give you critiques.

and you can probably easily get an opinion if the person you ask has an interest in the subject of your drawing. i already made my requets/suggestions and if you get around to drawing them, you'll get my opinion as you did for the purple polar bear...
  • QUOTE (shades of blue @ Jan 1 2006, 11:47 PM)
    i'm sure you'll find other people that will be willing to give you helpful critiques.  you've already found one in the cadillac sarah.  and i'm honest, so if i have an opinion, i'll give an honest one...but do you have any friends that like to draw?  if you take up drawing in school, you're bound to meet others who share an interest in drawing and you guys can discuss it...not to mention your teacher will very likely give you critiques.

and you can probably easily get an opinion if the person you ask has an interest in the subject of your drawing.  i already made my requets/suggestions and if you get around to drawing them, you'll get my opinion as you did for the purple polar bear...

Yea, I have one other person that helps me whenever he's on. But he rarely is, anymore. I'm not the most social of people either, so I don't know many people offline. Sad, isn't it?

And no, I have no friends that like to draw. If by take up drawing in school you mean take a drawing class in school, I can't. Our school system is crap and we have not but one art class, in which we concentrate on painting and collages.

If by take up drawing in school you mean draw a lot during school, done and doner. I ALWAYS draw. I'm pretty fast at school work, so I always have at least half an hour to draw during class. And my teachers aren't that helpful. They just ooh and awwe over my shoulder. The janitor did it to me, and it freaked the crap outta me because I didn't know he was there until a good 5 minutes or so afterwards.

And yes, speaking of your request...you said make Darbie's the most special. Do you have any suggestions on how to do so? Or what to draw for her, for that matter?
  • by "take up drawing," i did mean take classes. that sucks that you have limited art classes...but just keep drawing and eventually you will meet others who share the interest...

QUOTE (YeOldeEnglish @ Jan 2 2006, 03:21 AM)
    And yes, speaking of your request...you said make Darbie's the most special. Do you have any suggestions on how to do so? Or what to draw for her, for that matter?
    darbie should come here and make her own request, but otherwise i might suggest a purple puffin...
    BUT you can refer to this post, if you want to know what would make her happy...in the pants! biggrin.gif
  • QUOTE (shades of blue @ Jan 2 2006, 12:33 AM)
    by "take up drawing," i did mean take classes.  that sucks that you have limited art classes...but just keep drawing and eventually you will meet others who share the interest...

darbie should come here and make her own request, but otherwise i might suggest a purple puffin...
    BUT you can refer to this post, if you want to know what would make her happy...in the pants! biggrin.gif

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply.

On our second day or so back to school, we were hit with the EXIT project, otherwise known as the Community Service report... Which, by the way, if we do not pass, we fail the class and get held back a year. It's really the pinnacle of the 8th grade in my school district. While most students chose to do theirs on stuff like animal abuse, and Alzheimer's, I chose good ol' Multiple Personality Disorder. One part of the project is doing 6 hours of community service, which I am actually looking forward to. We get graded on everything from how well and clearly we speak, to how cluttered our poster (or PowerPoint presentation) is. Oh, and we have a minimum of 15 minutes to present. MINIMUM. I have a bad habit of talking fast and quietly. In otherwords, mumbling. We perform in front of 5 or so judges. Practice?

Erm. Rant. Sorry. Anyways, more purple, eh? XD'

Hm...I like the guy's hair. Looks fun. But I don't know how long it will take me, with the EXIT project now haunting my every thought. So I'm sorry of there's a long wait.

Oh, and what do you suggest for the others on 'The List'?