In this Discussion

Don't Ask Me. Have a question about OK Go/Paracadute? Come on in and ask away!

Comments

well thaz juz utterly ridonk o.O must be careful how many times i click "send" then lol 

and big thx for the birthday wishes rachel :) 

btw im not sure if i've already told everyone my name/if it's super obvs, but my name is jolean. hey yous! :D x

• *hip bump!*

Tim sings C-C-C- Cinnamon Lips.

• Not to be dense, but u know how there's always this catchphrase right before "Paracadute", as in Damian keeps saying "Onwards and Upwards"?  It's always been a mystery to me, seeing how parachutes are eventually meant to float downwards o.O  Any thoughts on how that catchphrase/motto came abt? x
  • laydeejol said:

Not to be dense, but u know how there's always this catchphrase right before "Paracadute", as in Damian keeps saying "Onwards and Upwards"?  It's always been a mystery to me, seeing how parachutes are eventually meant to float downwards o.O  Any thoughts on how that catchphrase/motto came abt? x

Ha, good point! Perhaps he's saying that because it IS contradictory.
  • I'm curious what interview these still are from... especially since there's Chinese subtitiles.  Any of you oldbies know?

• [Double-posted, sorry].
  • violetchaos364 said:

laydeejol said:

Not to be dense, but u know how there's always this catchphrase right before "Paracadute", as in Damian keeps saying "Onwards and Upwards"?  It's always been a mystery to me, seeing how parachutes are eventually meant to float downwards o.O  Any thoughts on how that catchphrase/motto came abt? x

Ha, good point! Perhaps he's saying that because it IS contradictory.

Onward and Upward doesn't have to refer to the direction of anything, it's not a phrase meaning literally forward and to the sky (I once heard, however, that it may have been coined originally in relation to a mountain-climbing expedition). It's been in general usage for more than a hundred years to simply mean "continuing progress" or "success".

It's only related to "Paracadute!" in that Damian's really saying, "We move forward. We will succeed (and we will do so with our own company). Paracadute!" I don't think there's any contradiction at all.

But if you want to think of it as more connected than that, remember that in order for a parachute to be its most useful or effective, one must first attain great heights. Wink

Edit: Hey look! Random indentation.
  • "...remember that in order for a parachute to be its most useful or effective, one must first attain great heights."

I never thought abt it that way :] either way, we know they're only on the rise and rise, so doesn't really matter if their paracadute is there to save them or not ;] x
  • Taciturn said:

I'm curious what interview these still are from... especially since there's Chinese subtitiles.  Any of you oldbies know?

I'm pretty sure those are from the Korean tour a few years ago.  If memory serves, the guys got reflexology massages on their feet.  They looked pretty painful from the video, and obviously Dan is not a happy camper there.
  • Anyone have a link to the "Pectorial" Interview? (The one where Tim flashes his boob)

I have yet to see it and I can't find it on youtube.

(Lucky number 13!)
  • I may be wrong but is this is video you speak of? http://bit.ly/ho0cVs

Tim's famous little scene comes up around the 0:50 mark. It is comic gold. Enjoy!
  • dunkgreener said:

I may be wrong but is this is video you speak of? http://bit.ly/ho0cVs

Tim's famous little scene comes up around the 0:50 mark. It is comic gold. Enjoy!

Every time I think about "pectorial", I want either an OK Go fitness video on Proper Weightlifting Form for Maximum Upper Body Definition (Led by Tim, naturally), or a series of various shots of OK Go members' chests (Led by Tim, naturally). Laugh

[It seems, also, that the vernaKulash has a companion volume... perhaps called the Nordwindium?]

The first kind of Pectorial (Pectoral + Tutorial) would demonstrate how to wield a bass guitar as an instrument of health and fitness, as well as overall BAMF-iness.

The second Pectorial (Pectoral + Pictorial) would demonstrate how to use open shirts  as a way to drive Boardies to distraction, as well as overall giddiness.
  • ChristelAdina said:

dunkgreener said:

I may be wrong but is this is video you speak of? http://bit.ly/ho0cVs

Every time I think about "pectorial", I want either an OK Go fitness video on Proper Weightlifting Form for Maximum Upper Body Definition (Led by Tim, naturally), or a series of various shots of OK Go members' chests (Led by Tim, naturally). Laugh

[It seems, also, that the vernaKulash has a companion volume... perhaps called the Nordwindium?]

The first kind of Pectorial (Pectoral + Tutorial) would demonstrate how to wield a bass guitar as an instrument of health and fitness, as well as overall BAMF-iness.

The second Pectorial (Pectoral + Pictorial) would demonstrate how to use open shirts  as a way to drive Boardies to distraction, as well as overall giddiness.

I'm good with this. Everybody good with this? I'm good with this.

• Every time I think about "pectorial", I want either an OK Go fitness video on Proper Weightlifting Form for Maximum Upper Body Definition (Led by Tim, naturally), or a series of various shots of OK Go members' chests (Led by Tim, naturally). Laugh

Thanks, Amber! After I finished the last 500 words of Monday's work assignment (which became 1489 word because I am THAT person!Surprised) I started looking at other old clips as a way to unwind from my wordy tension. Except, of course, I was watching OK Go, so it was still wordy Embarassed. I'm discovering other instances where the linguististical mash-ups may be from the Nordwindium, as well.

Geek that I am, I very badly want to collect, compile and then collate these, eventually putting them in ebook (or, >gasp< physical) form and distributing them…. To boardies, band members, tour mates, word nerds… EVERYONE!

Then I remember that I really should try to finish my own book and/or at least one of my other non-work projects first…Embarassed SIGH Such is the life of a creative genius trapped in the psyche of a fangirl! Laugh
  • Oh, another question, which I've kind of just realized the answer to but I'm not quite sure if it's 100% true to is...

Are they going to continue their tour in June? (Since most of the globe is in winter right now and who wants to tour in the cold?)

Because I never got to see them in their Fall tour and I'm really hoping they continue touring before they make a new album.

Now, does anyone have any sources saying yes or know or know them well enough that they will continue touring?
  • It doesn't look good, Arryn, but it's never set in stone.  (how's that for a completely non-committal answer?)

This is why I say both:

1) Kalinda told me that Damian told her they were not going to be touring much more on this album.

BUT

2) How many freaking times did they say that about the Neverending Oh No Tour?  I think I saw them "for the last time before they record" about 5 times.  And those were not consecutive shows, over the course of 16 months (February '07-June '08).  And even after that, there was the early '09 tour and the one off show the day after the VMAs in September of that year before OTBCOTS came out.

So you really don't ever know with these guys.  They seem to be making a new commitment to not be on tour all the time, but their track record doesn't really bode well for them.
  • It would make me really sad if they didn't tour anymore for OTBCOTS. The album dropped in January 2010 and they only started touring for it back in, what, April 2010? I mean, they toured some in November of 2009, but the album wasn't out yet. Actually, they were playing some of the new songs in April of 2009. But again, the album didn't come out until 2010.

Mayhap the reason they're changing the old way of doing things is because they're no longer stuck in having to do it the old way. Now that they have Paracadute, I'm sure they can choose when and for how long they'll be touring. And since they had that Tweet a while back about working on new material, perhaps they really are working on album 4. High Road says that they're only looking to play at colleges or for support from now until May.

Though, also based on their history, they tend to have some mini-tours to play stuff from the new album. So, maybe we'll see some touring in Summer or Fall as the Spring isn't looking too good right now.

I just hope that I get to see them at least once in concert in 2011. 2010 made me so completely spoiled.
  • beckysioux said:

I just hope that I get to see them at least once in concert in 2011. 2010 made me so completely spoiled.

Sing it, Sister.  I've had TWO OK Go related events fall through for me thus far this year, and we're not even two full months in.
  • Oh gosh.

Let's all hope for the best, thanks guys.
  • Anyone know who is saying the countdown in the background during the slow part in Invincible?