In this Discussion

OK Go on TV shows, movies commercials etc.

Comments

• Ugh. I just saw the advert on TV. I might have let it go if wasn't so BADLY DONE. Seriously, this is on the level of little kids deciding to act out their favourite video with the obvious result being it completely lacking what made the idea good in the first place. (This implicitly does not apply to the fantastic shout-out imitations out there which have obviously been given some thought)

Incidentally, R.E.M. did something similar to Improv Everywhere earlier this month, and they backed down. I wonder if there is a legal defence against this kind of thing (not saying that OK Go should go all litigious on their asses, just that Berocca might politely back down).
  • It looks like the boys are taking legal action re: the Berocca Ads.

http://williampatry.blogspot.com/2008/04/a...f-concepts.html

WATCHING the current television advert for Berocca vitamin tablets, you could be forgiven for thinking: "hmm, dancing on running machines, that's original". Unless, of course, you are familiar with the music video for Here It Goes Again by American band Ok Go. Released in September 2006 and viewed more than 32 million times on YouTube, it features the band dancing. On running machines.
    Ok Go's video won a Grammy and is an elaborately choreographed, fixed-camera, single-take masterpiece. The Berocca advert cuts between a dissolving tablet and people rising from tables to dance on running machines in a city centre. The songs are different but, in what may become the world's first legal dispute over treadmill dancing, an issue of copyright infringement could be determined by comparison of the videos' individual dance moves.

A source close to the band claims: "There was extensive negotiation to use Ok Go (by the JWT advertising agency on behalf of Berocca's manufacturer Bayer] but this didn't bear fruit." The source says JWT had no authorisation to reproduce the choreography. JWT and Bayer have, thus far, ignored all requests for a statement.
  • ^^ Good. It's about the principle, rather than the fact that it's just annoying.

Plus at work on saturday the receptionist said "Have you seen that Berocca advert?? It's genius! How did they think of that??"
    Which just infuriated me. I spent our entire lunch break showing her EXACTLY how they thought of that, and how OK Go are the genius ones.
  • ive yet to see these adds, but ive had 3 off my good friends and sources say that they have raped okgo into the ground
  • I kind of have to smile- I have a lot of foreign friends and they're always making fun of how Americans love to sue, and how we've developed a culture of litigation in everything from coffee that's too hot to ob/gyn's that are out of jobs b/c of malpractice insurance. I'm glad they're taking action, but I can't help but find it a little funny that even the boys of "filesharing our music can be good sometimes" have reached their limits.
  • QUOTE (Tabetha @ Apr 21 2008, 11:26 AM)
    I'm glad they're taking action, but I can't help but find it a little funny that even the boys of "filesharing our music can be good sometimes" have reached their limits.

But this isn't a frivolous lawsuit (coffee too hot). It's blatant copyright infringement. The article said that apparently there were negotiations between Berocca's people and OK Go to reach an agreement and when nothing came of it Berocca went ahead and did it anyway. Berocca is getting international attention for this ad, and not everyone realizes that it's not an original idea. They are making money off of someone else's art.

Filesharing is a whole different kettle of fish. The guys do eventually make money off filesharing because "in order for a million people to buy our record, a million people have to hear our record."
  • Oh, I know and I agree that it's definitely the right thing to do- I just have a weird sense of humor.
  • GRRR They're sucking up what belongs to OK Go, which you all know...but really...I can't believe this ad reached people who haven't seen HIGA.

I was one of the few who managed to elude the video, but still....the fact that people who didn't see the original saw the rip-off just angers me.

All I've got to say is...

POWER TO OK GO
  • By the way, that article doesn't confirm that they are taking legal action; it speculates that they could and throws in an unrelated statement from the band.

The same article goes on to point out that litigation is win-win for the advertisers. Let's face it, although many people who see the advert haven't seen HIGA, the latter is now leagues more popular. What better could Berocca hope for than for the famous OK Go to actually acknowledge their advert? The way brand recognition works means it really doesn't matter if they come off as asshats, but suddenly people have heard of Berocca.

Maybe they could get back at Berocca without suing, like the Mighty Boosh did to Sugar Puffs. Perhaps mention (or better, sing the praises) of a competing product like Haliborange.

I do think it's way out of line for them to have asked permission and then carried on regardless though. It shows that they're probably legally in the wrong.
  • Not sure if this has been posted yet:

I bought Juno on DVD today and I was watching special features. One of the special features was "cast and crew Jan". So I watched it and it was basically the cast dancing and being random to DWYW! I seriosly flipped. It kind of reminded me of the Don't Ask Me dancing music video haha. But with shiny silver background. smile.gif
  • QUOTE (ktlou7492 @ Apr 26 2008, 10:33 PM)
    Not sure if this has been posted yet:

I bought Juno on DVD today and I was watching special features. One of the special features was "cast and crew Jan". So I watched it and it was basically the cast dancing and being random to DWYW! I seriosly flipped. It kind of reminded me of the Don't Ask Me dancing music video haha. But with shiny silver background. smile.gif

Oh my gosh that's freaking awesome! I just watched Juno last weekend with a bunch of my friends and we watched some of the special features, but we didn't watch that one sad.gif But I definately would have freaked out, now I wanna go watch it
  • DWYW is currently being used on a CBBC (kids' BBC) ad. I got so excited when I heard it smile.gif
  • I JUST two seconds ago saw a commercial for a new TV show or whatever, "Wipeout", and it played HIGA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I shrieked when the song started and my dad looked at me weird tongue.gif
  • QUOTE (Rebekker @ May 25 2008, 06:22 PM)
    I JUST two seconds ago saw a commercial for a new TV show or whatever, "Wipeout", and it played HIGA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I shrieked when the song started and my dad looked at me weird tongue.gif

Ah, I just saw that commercial too. It was stirring tongue.gif
  • http://www.sunherald.com/prnewswire/story/634635.html

NEW YORK, June 19 --Just when you thought there were no more decades left to love, VH1 is back at it with an all-new 8-part series "I Love The New Millennium." From "Thong Songs" and Big Fat Greek Weddings, to wardrobe malfunctions and the "Big Mouth Billy Bass," it's all here, and our expert team of celebrities, musicians, actors, athletes, journalists and comedians are back to tackle every hard hitting issue you can imagine. For example: Where were all those weapons of mass destruction anyway? How did people watch television before TIVO? Who decided that trucker hats weren't just for truckers anymore? And perhaps most importantly of all ... who let the dogs out?

Premiering on Monday - Thursday, June 23-26, at 9PM* and 10PM* each night, VH1 will once again tap our collective memories and revisit the good, the bad, and the funny from the new millennium. VH1 loves the 00's so much that we couldn't even wait for them to end, bringing viewers the first 8 years of the decade (2000 - 2007.) In typical "I Love the" style "I Love The New Millennium" will leave no stone unturned through clips from sitcoms, movies, music videos, TV commercials, network news and other sources. Join us as we travel back in time to a time when Brad Pitt was happily married to Jennifer Aniston. Angelina Jolie and Madonna had yet to start the mad adoption craze and Britney Spears still had her s#!t together.

"I Love The New Millennium" has a variety of music artists, TV and film stars, athletes, journalists and other celebs who lend their hilarious perspective to the series including "President Bush," Gina Gershon, Johnny Fairplay, OK GO!, Michael Ian Black, Hal Sparks, Shanna Moakler, Andrew WK, Natasha Bedingfield, Plain White Ts, Perez Hilton, Emmy Rossum, Jared Fogel, Efren Ramirez, Vanessa Carlton, Jenna Von Oy, Ron Jeremy, Dee Snider, Chris Jericho, Shaggy, Angie Stone, Taylor Dayne, American Chopper, Tommy Chong, Lifehouse, Amy Lee, Gilbert Gottfried, Rich Eisen, Kat Von D, Stuart Scott, Beth Littleford, Colton & Aboud, Danica McKellar, Lonny Ross, Michael Emerson, Mya, The Bravery and many more.

For more info on "I Love The New Millennium" viewers can go online to millennium.vh1.com for exclusive video content of interview rants and selects from the show.

• I love the "I Love the ..." shows. I was a bit skeptical of the New Millennium one at first because well, its 2008, but now I am definatley watching! Thankssss
  • YES! something on a channel I actually have! They put an exclamation point at the end of OK Go though. Is that even allowed? blink.gif
  • QUOTE (DJRose @ Jun 24 2008, 09:11 AM)

I sincerely hope this makes it to YouTube.
  • QUOTE (beckysioux @ Jun 24 2008, 11:08 AM)
    I sincerely hope this makes it to YouTube.

Exactly what I came here to say...
    That's hilarious and amazing.