In this Discussion

And all this time, I thought Dan was the shy one

Comments

• QUOTE (ytel82 @ Feb 27 2007, 04:45 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=101906 It's at about 2:30.

He did it at the show I went to. Here's my video. It's at about 2:42 or so.
  • QUOTE (sureeyesawake @ Feb 26 2007, 10:18 PM)
    Damian listed this as one of the five best songs ever when I asked him. So there you go.

What were the others?

QUOTE (mixtape @ Feb 27 2007, 03:58 PM)
    According to Ushies on the JC, they've stopped doing the dance after shows.

Reallllly weird--I was just thinking about the show on the way to work this morning, wondering how her night was, and a thought about them not doing the dance popped into my head. Not kidding!! I've wondered for awhile when they would stop doing it, and it makes sense to stop it at the start of a new tour or new leg of a tour rather than in the middle of one, so I guess that's why I thought of it, since it was the first night of this tour and the first show back in the U.S. But then I thought, "Nah," and assumed they'd keep doing it until they made the next album. Huh.

I'm gonna sound like an old fogey party pooper, but I'm actually glad to hear this. Don't throw things at me!
  • QUOTE (sherib @ Feb 27 2007, 07:32 PM)
    I'm gonna sound like an old fogey party pooper, but I'm actually glad to hear this. Don't throw things at me!

You are? Care to explain?
  • I'm sort of happy about it, too. I mean, it was always nice to see after shows, but it's just perpetuating the "dancing YouTube guys!" image.
  • It's just that after doing this for two years straight, I figured it was at a point where they were just doing it because it's expected. And that's the complete opposite of what its original purpose was. Which equals time to stop. "It was great, it was awesome, but we're done" kind of thing. I'm sure they were still having fun doing it to some extent, but I bet they're relieved that all they're gonna be doing is playing now. Get some more focus on the music ...
  • QUOTE (mixtape @ Feb 27 2007, 06:46 PM)
    I'm sort of happy about it, too. I mean, it was always nice to see after shows, but it's just perpetuating the "dancing YouTube guys!" image.

You are so right.

And Sheri is right too. Maybe now they'll actually play AMW nonacoustic.
  • You guys make great points, and I think I agree with some of it. I will still miss it though.
  • QUOTE (Courtneytastic @ Feb 27 2007, 07:53 PM)
    And Sheri is right too. Maybe now they'll actually play AMW nonacoustic.

I would love that!
  • QUOTE (nostabenitsirhc @ Feb 27 2007, 02:50 PM)
    He did it at the show I went to. Here's my video. It's at about 2:42 or so.

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
    Guess what?! This is the video where I first saw it laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
    I couldn't remember whose it was, or where I had seen it. I guess I watch too many AMW videos laugh.gif
    Thanks!

QUOTE (sherib @ Feb 27 2007, 04:47 PM)
    It's just that after doing this for two years straight, I figured it was at a point where they were just doing it because it's expected. And that's the complete opposite of what its original purpose was. Which equals time to stop. "It was great, it was awesome, but we're done" kind of thing. I'm sure they were still having fun doing it to some extent, but I bet they're relieved that all they're gonna be doing is playing now. Get some more focus on the music ...

DUDE! I have been thinking of that since the first time I saw them. It's true that the point of the dance was to confuse the audience, but I wasn't confused. I knew it was coming. I have mixed feelings though. I want to keep seeing them dance but totally understand that it's time to stop.

Now I'm really confused, and that makes me sad sad.gif
  • QUOTE (ytel82 @ Feb 27 2007, 08:04 PM)
    laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
    Guess what?! This is the video where I first saw it laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
    I couldn't remember whose it was, or where I had seen it. I guess I watch too many AMW videos laugh.gif
    Thanks!
    DUDE! I have been thinking of that since the first time I saw them. It's true that the point of the dance was to confuse the audience, but I wasn't confused. I knew it was coming. I have mixed feelings though. I want to keep seeing them dance but totally understand that it's time to stop.

Now I'm really confused, and that makes me sad sad.gif

Haha :] The sound came out terribly in my video though.
    Yea that makes a ton of sense, I was expecting it. It didn't confuse me at all.
  • QUOTE (mixtape @ Feb 27 2007, 04:58 PM)
    According to Ushies on the JC, they've stopped doing the dance after shows.
    My first thought was also, "NOOOOO!" but I guess it had to end some time, and I think sheri nails it:
    QUOTE (sherib @ Feb 27 2007, 07:47 PM)
    It's just that after doing this for two years straight, I figured it was at a point where they were just doing it because it's expected. And that's the complete opposite of what its original purpose was.
    That's just not OK Go. So then my next two thoughts were, "Ooh, I wonder what they're planning next!" and "I'm glad all those videos are still out there on YouTube." smile.gif

I'm sorry the friends I bring to concerts this summer won't see it, though.

Oh, and sheri, btw:
    QUOTE (sherib @ Feb 27 2007, 07:32 PM)
    What were the others?
    "Hey" - Pixies
    "Darling Nikki" - Prince
    "Oh Darling" - Le Beatles (that's how he wrote it)
    "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger" - Daft Punk
    "Do What You Gotta Do" - Roberta Flack
    That's the order in which they occurred to him, but when he finished, he said, "probably in reverse order."

I now have a little 'Damian Kulash' playlist on my iTunes. A couple of them, actually! smile.gif
  • QUOTE (sureeyesawake @ Feb 28 2007, 02:28 AM)
    I now have a little 'Damian Kulash' playlist on my iTunes. A couple of them, actually! smile.gif

That's cool! I have an Andy one that has all of the SDR, Unsacred Hearts, DuraculaZombieUSA, and a few A-ross Experience songs on it. I should make a playlist for each of the guys. That'd be awsome..
  • QUOTE (sureeyesawake @ Feb 27 2007, 08:28 PM)
    "Oh Darling" - Le Beatles (that's how he wrote it)

Oh, he wrote it? How did that come about?
  • I guess she had him write down the list.
  • [? board weirdness]
  • QUOTE (mixtape @ Feb 28 2007, 08:37 PM)
    I guess she had him write down the list.

tongue.gif
  • Hm, has Andy always looked like he's uh ... giving himself a good time at that part in the dance? laugh.gif This is from Korea. Maybe Korea makes him saucy.

short

laugh.gif
  • i love when older threads get topped because i'm never adventurous enough to travel past the first couple pages of threads... this video... the first one 7*s posted is SO amazing... i'm gonna have to check out the rest...

and thank you sheri. you have been all about the andy love this past week and i am in eternal debt to you.

i have to edit to say that andy's move are really flashy in this... i love dan's little spice-up at the end... and i especially love the windyness of it all
  • QUOTE (sherib @ Aug 10 2007, 10:01 AM)
    Hm, has Andy always looked like he's uh ... giving himself a good time at that part in the dance? laugh.gif

Hmm...I never noticed that before...*goes to watch other videos* smile.gif

Edit: It looks like he does it here too: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Bc0s-W0WuVw
    (By the way, I like what Damian does at about 16 or 17 seconds smile.gif )
  • QUOTE (nostabenitsirhc @ Aug 10 2007, 12:30 PM)
    Hmm...I never noticed that before...*goes to watch other videos* smile.gif

Edit: It looks like he does it here too: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Bc0s-W0WuVw
    (By the way, I like what Damian does at about 16 or 17 seconds smile.gif )

Ah! I remember that video--I love it! And I love that part, too biggrin.gif It's so cool seeing them before they really have it absolutely completely down. They're still having to concentrate. biggrin.gif I think what's even better in this one is listening to the genuinely shocked and excited crowd reactions to each move, since it's actually new to them.

On Andy, ha! Well, I wouldn't be surprised if I've just never in all this time watched Andy at that part before. Always watching for Damian's shirt lifting.