In this Discussion

Question about the Worcester Polytech Inst. Concert

Comments

• QUOTE (freehugs @ Apr 21 2007, 05:45 PM)
    Woww..hahha! I loved that paper you wrote for all of us. I kinda skipped a few lines when I saw a glimpse of you talking to Andy. So jealous. Steph and I waited in the lobby for until like 11 and then it got kinda weird and awkward because we had stopped talking to our security gaurd friend and were just kinda standing there. And one of the guys said that they were just fed so probally wouldn't be out for a while and were only going to do signings with people in the red shirts. sad.gif But anywayyyss. I'm glad you made it!!! It was an amazinggg concert. The crowd was very fun, don't you think? I think they were. But it's saddd I didn't get to meet any of the boardees. Some day it will happen! hahahaha

I looked for you in a freehugs shirt but I didn't see you sad.gif but we'll def'ly meet next time!
    And you got to talk to Dan before the show, which was cool too smile.gif
  • QUOTE (Tabetha @ Apr 21 2007, 10:03 PM)
    I looked for you in a freehugs shirt but I didn't see you sad.gif but we'll def'ly meet next time!
    And you got to talk to Dan before the show, which was cool too smile.gif

It really reallly was. He was realllyyy nice too. It was really chill.
  • Tabetha, that account was so lovely. It really made me smile. smile.gif
    And Andy sounded so cute when you met him!!!
  • isn't he adorable? smile.gif
  • That was a great story Tabetha! I'm glad you ended up going afterall and not to the mall. We here in CA are so jealous that the boys bantered and interacted with the crowd dry.gif That just means we need to leave CA for a real OK Go concert experience. smile.gif
  • QUOTE (rocksugar @ Apr 22 2007, 11:29 AM)
    That was a great story Tabetha! I'm glad you ended up going afterall and not to the mall. We here in CA are so jealous that the boys bantered and interacted with the crowd dry.gif That just means we need to leave CA for a real OK Go concert experience. smile.gif

aw, don't be, cuz I am jealous of you guys in CA, cuz there are so many shows there and since they live there, it shows how much they love CA and you smile.gif That's why CA is the best state
  • QUOTE (Tabetha @ Apr 22 2007, 08:35 AM)
    aw, don't be, cuz I am jealous of you guys in CA, cuz there are so many shows there and since they live there, it shows how much they love CA and you smile.gif That's why CA is the best state

It's a case of quality versus quantity. When they play here, they're just too close to home. We literally watched them drive right past us. First Tim and Damian, then Andy. OKNat said Dan did the same thing a while later. *sigh* I would gladly trade my frequency of shows for one show where I could 1) hear some banter and 2) have an opportunity to meet them. I guess this is a "grass is always greener" sort of thing, huh?

Edit: This happened at Pepperdine.
  • I'm glad they love CA too and not just because we have "great breasts" according to Damian laugh.gif . It's funny that your friend is like "Western Mass?! It's at LEAST an hour!" Some Californians drive at least 6 hours to see them if they're coming from up north. I wonder if your friend will now say, "Well, its ONLY an hour away!" since you've gotten her hooked. Ah. The power of OK Go.
  • QUOTE (rocksugar @ Apr 22 2007, 08:58 AM)
    Some Californians drive at least 6 hours to see them if they're coming from up north.

I would be one of those Californians!!! biggrin.gif California is a really loooong state!
  • QUOTE (rocksugar @ Apr 22 2007, 05:58 PM)
    I'm glad they love CA too and not just because we have "great breasts" according to Damian laugh.gif . It's funny that your friend is like "Western Mass?! It's at LEAST an hour!" Some Californians drive at least 6 hours to see them if they're coming from up north. I wonder if your friend will now say, "Well, its ONLY an hour away!" since you've gotten her hooked. Ah. The power of OK Go.

Ahh, one hour would be awesome. Actually, they were about an hour away for the Bremen concert, but we still stayed at a hotel since it was late and we had some drinks--a hotel that we were way too excited to actually SLEEP in afterwards, LOL. The other times, they were, hmm, 4 and 5 hours away maybe. And I couldn't BELIEVE they came to Bremen. I felt like I'd just won the lottery and someone was going to come over and tell me there'd been a terrible mistake.

Sucks about the California gigs, tho. There's always *before* the shows, if you can beat the damn traffic. We might end up there eventually. Either a move from here straight to there, or after a short time somewhere else in the U.S.
  • Yeah, even when they play in CA (southern CA) it's always at least an hour away no matter where you're coming from because of all the traffic.
  • Yeah, I went to a concert in NYC, which shouldn't have been that long but because of the traffic we were only there like 4 hours early instead of like 6 (err maybe it was 2 hours instead of 4). But I think the longest I've traveled for OK Go so far was like 2 1/2 or like 3 maybe. But they are playing like 20 minutes away from my house, I don't know if I can make it to it though. mad.gif I hate work and the SATs.
  • QUOTE (Tabetha @ Apr 21 2007, 08:00 PM)
    "You made me fat," he said.
    "Sorry," my friend said.

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
  • Tabetha, thank you for your story. I especially love the image of you guys struggling to protect the cake from the moshers, and how sweet and attentive Andy was to you.

And you converted a new fan! That's like 50 points, right there. Good work! biggrin.gif
  • QUOTE (sureeyesawake @ Apr 22 2007, 08:44 PM)
    And you converted a new fan! That's like 50 points, right there. Good work! biggrin.gif

Thank you!! smile.gif
  • Ok, so I hate to be there bearer of bad news cause you guys clearly loved the show so much but.....they didn't eat the cake. They didn't even touch it in fact. They left it in the gym after the show. I though that the Social Committee had made it for them. Though it did look like someone stuck their finger in for a taste, it was most likely one of us during strike after the show.

Also, I'll admit that the crowd was pretty dead when we were chanting for the encore. And it made it kind of awkward. I knew ahead of time about the air socks, so I knew they were gonna come back.

And for anyone who is nerdy enough to care we measured the sound level throughout the night and it was 126db right at the front of the stage, and 108db at the back wall. To put this in perspective, standing next to a jet engine is about 140db, so it was really loud.

Final comment (in this post at least) is about the security crew.

#1 At every college show ever you have the team of students who are way too excited about working "security" at the front of the stage
    #2 We usually get a huge turnout for security, mainly because you get to see the show for free, but also people think they will get to meet the band (which is somewhat true) But this year we were really short, so we were grabbing people last minute. Anyone in line that we kinda knew and could trust got a red shirt, a laminated pass, and a place to stand, so it was kinda haphazard and uncoordinated.

And the reason there was the buffer zone is because the "grown-ups" who oversee the Social Committee were wayyyy too afraid someone was going to get hurt. You may have noticed there were towels ducked taped to the top of the poles for the barrier at the front. That was because they were convinced the crowd was going to surge forward and someone was going to "impale themselves" during the show. Bit of an over reaction if you ask me.

Ok, I couldn't resist one more tid-bit, one of their roadies was totally british. He was a cliche british roadie, he was everything I'd expect a british roadie to be, it was awesome.
  • Ok, this is the absolute last thing I'll post tonight. Two of my friends had press passes at the show and so they were allowed to go inside the barrier and take pictures. They are both decent photographers and both have really nice cameras, so I you guys are interested, I can post a link to some of the pictures. One of those two guys actually had a little chat with the lead singer and he's going to be sending him the pictures he took.
  • QUOTE (Supermike @ Apr 23 2007, 03:49 AM)
    Ok, so I hate to be there bearer of bad news cause you guys clearly loved the show so much but.....they didn't eat the cake. They didn't even touch it in fact. They left it in the gym after the show. I though that the Social Committee had made it for them. Though it did look like someone stuck their finger in for a taste, it was most likely one of us during strike after the show.

mad.gif Honestly now, was it really necessary to post that?

Tabetha had the time of her life, protected that cake throughout the show and had her shining moment when she presented it to Andy. Your post did nothing more than to shatter her illusion and for what? Alright already, we get it -- you had insider info about the Worcester show and had an all access pass. We gained nothing positive from that revelation and it was nothing more than an attempt to show us how "cool" you are.

I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but what's wrong with letting a teenager think her hard work meant something to her favorite band?
  • QUOTE (ihave7stars @ Apr 23 2007, 07:55 AM)
    mad.gif Honestly now, was it really necessary to post that?

Tabetha had the time of her life, protected that cake throughout the show and had her shining moment when she presented it to Andy. Your post did nothing more than to shatter her illusion and for what? Alright already, we get it -- you had insider info about the Worcester show and had an all access pass. We gained nothing positive from that revelation and it was nothing more than an attempt to show us how "cool" you are.

I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but what's wrong with letting a teenager think her hard work meant something to her favorite band?

I agree. Supermike - that was unnecessary. Tabetha had a great time - why try to ruin her memories of it?

BTW - Tabetha - I'm glad you ended up going!!
  • QUOTE (ihave7stars @ Apr 23 2007, 04:55 AM)

I agree with you ih7s. It's really all about her memories, not others. She had fun, it doesn't matter if they ate it or not. It's the thought that counts.

Oh, and Supermike, I'd like to see photos of this show if you're still willing to post them up.