In this Discussion

Few Great OKGO articles

Comments

• Yaay, WXRT!  When I read "Chicago radio station," I figured it was going to be Q101 :s
    That was great--thanks for posting it.  (Liked the others, too Smile)
  • This came out in a brazilian blog, here's the link: http://soltaopause.com.br

but I'll translate the interview here and put the pictures up here also. Sorry for any mistakes. 

and yeah, we have a bit of wrong info there, but here it is anyways...

Well my friends, Lollapalooza only starts tomorrow. In the meantime, we went looking for the artists that are available for interviews before the festival. One of the bands was OK Go, the group which is most known by its videos that go up to millions of views on YouTube than by their music. Besides that, their sound is pretty interesting.We went to the hotel they are staying, even though all of them come from Chicago, for a relaxed conversation at the hotel bar.

This week was special for the band, they got to play for Barack Obama on their birthday. Something a little unexpected, but for them it was an honour. "It was nice wishing happy birthday to the President," said Tim Nordwind, the bassist. 

But it is inevitable to talk with these guys without talking about videos. Since their first, in which they do a crazy choreography on treadmills, and after building a Rube Goldberg Machine or dancing a choreography with 12 dogs, it is impossible that they make a video without creating a big comotion online.

"Above all we want to have fun making the videos. We want to feel like we can go forward, and make an idea real," said Tim. To the drummer Dan Konopka, there isn't external pressure that make them want to innovate. "This pressure exists among us, I love to impress Tim with a good idea", he explains.

OK Go is a band that was born in this era and they know, unlike anyone, how to use the available resources to promote their own work. Proof of that is the reciprocity of the fans. "When we release a video, people go and make their own versions of it and send it to us", says Tim.

As for the music, the band went through a big change from the second to the third record. The guitars are pratically gone and they gave space to something with an electronic texture, but without soundind like dance music. "On our next album we are working with the same producer of the third, we are enjoying more working with electronic elements, we'll probably go that direction", reveals Tim.

The band plays tomorrow at Lollapalooza. For them the presentation has a special flavour, after all, they all saw the festival come to life here in Chicago and they all went to the first edition. "Yeah, playing in a stage that inspired us is really unbelieable", says Dan.

• I just found out one of my favourite Youtubers "Nicepeter" did an interview with Damian. And then rides a golf cart with the whole group. EEK!

• "We should start a basketball team."

That was the randomest thing I have heard all day.
  • For those of u who are aspiring guitarists, u might b able to make more out of this interview i found by Damian and Andy talking abt their guitars n other musical endeavours...

http://www.sixstringsoul.com/ok-go-interview-guitar-andy-damian/
  • Nice find, Jolean! Yeah, I have no idea what he was talking about for half of the article. But I really liked the questions the interviewer was asking. And I especially liked this bit:

"Your group gained a lot of popularity through choreographed music
    videos, but the videos wouldn't work if the music didn't resonate with
    so many people
    ."
    Bold emphasis mine.

This guy got it. It's a shame that others don't.

• Here you go.  15 minute radio interview with Damian.  I haven't listened yet, so I don't know if there's anything new in it.
  • E: Who makes that call?

D: Kermit.

Classic.  I love his sense of humor.  WQhat a great interview, thatnk for posting it.
  • HA!  And I still haven't listened to it.  Glad you enjoyed it.  Here's a new Timterview:

http://www.buzzinemusic.com/interviews/music-interview-ok-go-muppets-09072011
  • Aw, I love Tim. Laugh And pizza.

Yay! We have something in common! Haha...

I haven't listened to Damian's interview, yet, either. I can't stand to be at the computer for long because it's very hot. I will, though!
  • You are late in watching something from the band due to your own personal comfort?  Minus 2 fan points. Laugh
  • Haha. I do feel quite guilty about that. Do not fret, though- I shall do that now that it is MUCH cooler. I felt like I was melting earlier today. Ugh.

Edit: Just listened to it. I will probably not want to get up for school tomorrow because it's so late, but it was totally worth it. The interviewer did his homework, which is so awesome of him. Loved it.
  • Here is an interview with Damian.  It is old and I'll bet some of you guys have seen it, but it only has 71 hits.  Damian deserves more than 71 hits.

• http://www.chicagomusicguide.com/interviews_2011_ok_go.htm

Here's an interview of Tim and Dan, where Tim sheds light on his favorite Pinkberry order, and Dan tells us how bartending is.

There's a Pinkberry 20 minutes away from here... so I'm tempted to try his mix.
  • Taciturn said:

http://www.chicagomusicguide.com/interviews_2011_ok_go.htm

Here's an interview of Tim and Dan, where Tim sheds light on his favorite Pinkberry order, and Dan tells us how bartending is.

There's a Pinkberry 20 minutes away from here... so I'm tempted to try his mix.

Does anyone have a pic of Dan's tattoo? LaughLaughLaugh
  • I loved that interview.  It is so quintessentially OK Go to talk about so much stuff having nothing to do with music during an interview.
  • here's a link to a great interview with damian re OK Go's biz model and the like. It's slightly different fm the usual interviews we hv seen/read abt in that it really fleshes out his (their) ideas n beliefs a bit more :) it's long, but i guarantee it's a gd read: http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/immaculate-noise/posts/interview-will-ok-go-make-a-full-length-movie
  • laydeejol said:

here's a link to a great interview with damian re OK Go's biz model and the like. It's slightly different fm the usual interviews we hv seen/read abt in that it really fleshes out his (their) ideas n beliefs a bit more :) it's long, but i guarantee it's a gd read: http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/im.....ngth-movie

"I wouldn’t want to feel myself with something that large"

I am mature.

Right, I posted that before I got to "healthy girth."  It's over.
  • It is a great article, but it is also clear that it was transcribed from a spoken interview.  I wonder if that is out there anywhere.
  • This is an odd interview. And if you've ever wanted to see Damian and Tim as Halo characters, this is your chance.

TSL Waypoint Ep 3 - OK Go

Since this is a Vimeo video, I can't embed, so please, click on the link above.