In this Discussion

Win Invite Only Tickets to see OK Go (yet again and again)

Comments

• that is so awesome!!! I can't wait to hear what happened at and after the show! Did you talk about the coffee?
  • QUOTE (sureeyesawake @ Apr 24 2007, 09:32 PM)
    Starbucks is good for a lot of things. Now added to the list is "waiting for Damian Kulash to show up." You were like lying in wait for him, like those nature photographers who wait for hours in the dead of night in the middle of Africa to get close-up film of some exotic, nocturnal animal doing some remarkable thing. Like, you know that's where he's going to be, eventually.

QUOTE (amberdino @ Apr 25 2007, 01:30 AM)
    hahahahhaha thats GOLD.
    if only i knew what area of LA he lived in.....

dietpepsidrunk i hope you come back with another kickass story! cool.gif

I agree that Damian is a ‘nocturnal animal doing some remarkable thing’, but the rest of it makes me a little uneasy. huh.gif I wouldn’t want Damian worried about being accosted every time he wants a cup of coffee. Meeting and talking to the guys has turned into a fun challenge for me - as it is for a lot of us. Since I know myself and my good intentions, I never thought of it as bad in any way. But, if you look at it from the guys’ perspective, we’re all strangers to them, with the possibility of being friendly or not. sad.gif Sorry to be a killjoy, but maybe this time I was wrong.

Observant boardies will see that I did some historical revision to my first post about talking to Damian. I did some soul searching and I think there were too many details in the first one about the band and myself that I wasn’t comfortable with. Even though they've lost their anonimity with their escalating fame, they still deserve their privacy.

In my feeble defense: Think about the place you live, your own little world. Even if you like where you live, it’s the same places every single day. I had the rare opportunity to have OK Go walk right into my world. I’ve crossed that street hundreds of times before, but now I’ll smile every time I think about following Damian across it! smile.gif

P.S. Thank you, sureeyesawake, for not including a pith helmet and a large, Damian-sized net in your post. smile.gif
    P.P.S. Concert review coming up as soon as I get my pictures done. And, no, I didn't get to talk to Damian again.
  • QUOTE (sureeyesawake @ Apr 25 2007, 02:32 AM)
    Starbucks is good for a lot of things. Now added to the list is "waiting for Damian Kulash to show up." You were like lying in wait for him, like those nature photographers who wait for hours in the dead of night in the middle of Africa to get close-up film of some exotic, nocturnal animal doing some remarkable thing. Like, you know that's where he's going to be, eventually.

Hahaha laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

"And here we have a rare glimpse of the Kulash in his native environment... he looks at the menu, picks a coffee...he sees his prey and he pounces! This is an important time for the Kulash, who will have to play a show tonight and must stay alert, weary of fan ambushes...."
    *whispering voice*
  • Last night I went to an OK Go concert and here's how it went. My friend and I were late due to family things, so we got to the venue at about 7:00. We were still third in line! Doors were supposed to open at 7:30, but they didn't open them until 8:00 and it was damn cold. mad.gif The venue inside is very pretty - it used to be an old church. It was a nice spread - Jack Daniel's supplied appetizers and gave everyone coupons for one free alcoholic and one free non-alcoholic drink. I swapped tickets with a guy so I could get two diets. They even had a chocolate fountain!

I saw Dan at the merchandise table before the show and had a short conversation with him. I told him that I saw Damian at Starbucks today. He said Damian mentioned that at lunch and said he wished he'd had more time to talk to me. That made me feel really happy! biggrin.gif

The warm-up band was The Killer Flamingos. They were good. It's nice to see a girl lead singer - she was so cute. The speakers were SO LOUD. I have never been to a louder concert. I was right next to my friend, yelling in her ear, and she couldn't hear me. In between bands, the Jack Daniel's people threw out t-shirts and I caught one.

Then OK Go came on. The best news is that they played YSDH - I had never seen it live before! biggrin.gif They also played both the Violent Femmes and ELO covers. And I caught a tambourine! smile.gif Minimum banter, unfortunately. After the show, we asked some people but no one knew if the band would be having a meet & greet. My friend wasn't feeling well, so we just took off. Here's a few pictures:

Here's one of Damian jumping off the stage!

And one for the angels.
  • You got some great pictures! There is one lucky angel up there laugh.gif

That's wonderful that Damian actually had a conversation about you!! You got free drinks, a t-shirt, and a tamborine, that's so cool cool.gif And YSDH, finally you got to see it live! I'm so happy for you. biggrin.gif
  • QUOTE (dietpepsidrunk @ Apr 25 2007, 10:38 AM)

This picture is pretty dang cool. You caught the elusive Kulash mid-flight!!

Edit: I see the dreaded shirt made yet another appearance. This got me thinking.... is the tie always the same, too? I think I'll have to do some research when I'm not at work.
  • QUOTE (mumblo @ Apr 25 2007, 02:16 PM)
    Edit: I see the dreaded shirt made yet another appearance.

I didn't even notice, but you're right! laugh.gif That is so funny, but not funny ha ha. More like funny.... No, I changed my mind. It is funny ha ha.
  • Oh Theresa, I am not worthy of being on the same board as you. You always have the best experiences with the guys. Some sort of OK Go karma.
  • QUOTE (dietpepsidrunk @ Apr 25 2007, 06:38 PM)
    I told him that I saw Damian at Starbucks today. He said Damian mentioned that at lunch and said he wished he'd had more time to talk to me. That made me feel really happy! biggrin.gif

Oh my god that's fantastic!!!!! Ahhhh!!

QUOTE (dietpepsidrunk @ Apr 25 2007, 06:38 PM)

wub.gif

QUOTE (mumblo @ Apr 25 2007, 07:16 PM)
    Edit: I see the dreaded shirt made yet another appearance. This got me thinking.... is the tie always the same, too? I think I'll have to do some research when I'm not at work.

Yes, it is always the same tie as well.
    One day (when Damian and I are best friends or something.... obviously), I shall burn that shirt. And the tie.
  • ooo! You caught a tambourine! That's so cool! And I love the photo with the hair!
  • QUOTE (dietpepsidrunk @ Apr 25 2007, 10:38 AM)

ANDY!!! wub.gif

QUOTE (rocksugar @ Apr 25 2007, 11:12 AM)
    You got some great pictures! There is one lucky angel up there laugh.gif

That's wonderful that Damian actually had a conversation about you!! You got free drinks, a t-shirt, and a tamborine, that's so cool cool.gif And YSDH, finally you got to see it live! I'm so happy for you. biggrin.gif

I'm super happy for you too Theresa! & you also got to hear a violent femmes cover...I haven't been so lucky sad.gif
  • QUOTE (dietpepsidrunk @ Apr 25 2007, 01:38 PM)
    Last night I went to an OK Go concert and here's how it went. My friend and I were late due to family things, so we got to the venue at about 7:00. We were still third in line! Doors were supposed to open at 7:30, but they didn't open them until 8:00 and it was damn cold. mad.gif The venue inside is very pretty - it used to be an old church. It was a nice spread - Jack Daniel's supplied appetizers and gave everyone coupons for one free alcoholic and one free non-alcoholic drink. I swapped tickets with a guy so I could get two diets. They even had a chocolate fountain!

Oh wow. I am *really* hoping that there's a chocolate fountain on Tuesday night!
  • QUOTE (ytel82 @ Apr 25 2007, 01:46 PM)
    I haven't been so lucky sad.gif

Yeah, but we did get THREE covers at Empire: ELO, Talking Heads, and the Damned. We were spoiled; none of the shows I've seen since have been that good, in my opinion. Hope that cheers you up a bit.
  • QUOTE (sureeyesawake @ Apr 24 2007, 09:32 PM)

QUOTE (dietpepsidrunk @ Apr 25 2007, 10:16 AM)
    ...but the rest of it makes me a little uneasy. huh.gif I wouldn't want Damian worried about being accosted every time he wants a cup of coffee. ...Since I know myself and my good intentions, I never thought of it as bad in any way.

My thoughts exactly. To set things straight: In my post I really mis-characterized dietpepsi, and I inadvertently made some people think I was comparing Damian to a rare animal. None of this was my intention! We all write things here to amuse each other, and that's where I was going with this exaggerated mental image. Damian is a person, not a rare animal, and I didn't mean to draw that connection. And dietpepsi was not waiting there for hours. She just figured he might be there, so she went over, and it turned out she was right! She was polite and un-intrusive, it seems to me.

QUOTE (dietpepsidrunk @ Apr 25 2007, 10:16 AM)
    P.S. Thank you, sureeyesawake, for not including a pith helmet and a large, Damian-sized net in your post. smile.gif
    *hangs head in embarrassment*
    I'm proud of every post I've made on this board except that one. Ugh. *cringes*
  • QUOTE (dietpepsidrunk @ Apr 25 2007, 01:38 PM)
    I saw Dan at the merchandise table before the show and had a short conversation with him. I told him that I saw Damian at Starbucks today. He said Damian mentioned that at lunch and said he wished he'd had more time to talk to me. That made me feel really happy! biggrin.gif

They were talking about you!
    They'll remember you as their awesome fan smile.gif
    Yeah, but we did get THREE covers at Empire: ELO, Talking Heads, and the Damned. We were spoiled; none of the shows I've seen since have been that good, in my opinion. Hope that cheers you up a bit.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, WHOA! Melinda?! Are you sure there were 3 covers that night? I don't remember Talking Heads?!
  • Someone else's review of the same show. No mention of the chocolate fountain, but evidently the audience "was full of thick necks and girls with wet-looking curly hair...." Ha!

http://saturnby1970.blogspot.com/2007/04/not-nice.html

EDIT:
    Some pics of Killer Flamingos from the show:
    http://www.nicolerork.com/blog/?p=136
  • Thanks so much, 7*s. It's cool to hear someone else's review of the same show. I think some girls are threatened by girl lead singers - I thought Killer Flamingos were OK, but I liked her review. And I assure you - my neck is of normal size and my hair was dry!

"... also, damian kulash gives me a giant rock and roll-induced lady boner." Wow. laugh.gif I didn't know ladies could get boners - I learn something new every day on the Internet. biggrin.gif
  • QUOTE (ytel82 @ Apr 26 2007, 12:47 AM)
    Whoa, whoa, whoa, WHOA! Melinda?! Are you sure there were 3 covers that night? I don't remember Talking Heads?!

Yep, I'm positive. They did "Psycho Killer." It stuck out to me because one of my favorite local bands ever, Lawsuit, used to do a cover of that song. So when OK Go started playing it, I got extra giddy!
  • QUOTE (mumblo @ Apr 26 2007, 07:16 AM)
    Yep, I'm positive. They did "Psycho Killer." It stuck out to me because one of my favorite local bands ever, Lawsuit, used to do a cover of that song. So when OK Go started playing it, I got extra giddy!

Oh man! They did 3 covers & I don't remember?!? This is why I need to keep a journal tongue.gif
    Well even if I don't remember, I feel special for getting 3 covers! tongue.gif