In this Discussion

Aus Federal Election 07

edited November -1 in General Discussion
For the few Australians here, in case any of you have an interest in what happens in our country. The election will more than likely be in November, have you been paying attention? Are you getting excited? Is Howard going down or what? (Answer: Yes) Did Peter Costello really say he'd destroy Howards leadership? Would you have voted for Costello if Howard had stepped down? Does Kevin Rudd remind you of a ten year old school boy? Isn't Tony Abbott the Devil Incarnate? Do you think Julia Gillards decision to be a barren single woman will negatively affect her role as a leader?

I got side tracked for a moment but yes. Polls are showing Howard is going down, are you pleased as punch or do you fear for our economy under a Labor Government? Thoughts people.

Comments

• haha that is hilarious!!!
    umm well i can't vote yet and it's probably a good thing because I don't know very much about politics.
    I'm glad Howard's going down though, he's such a dweeb and he is kinda embarrassing. I
    t will also mean an end to people asking if I'm related to him, as we share a surname.

I wish I knew more so I could have a proper conversation with you guys about it. Honestly, I don't like either options particularly but I usually end up rooting for Labor because it's in the family.

I don't think I'd vote for Howard or Costello and Kevin Rudd really does look like a 10 year old, but John Howard acts like one. We went to Parliament House to observe question time and he was the only one with a swivel chair and he just kept twirling around and making fun of the people who didn't have wheels or swivel action. What a douche!
    For the few Australians here, in case any of you have an interest in what happens in our country. The election will more than likely be in November, have you been paying attention? Are you getting excited? Is Howard going down or what? (Answer: Yes) Did Peter Costello really say he'd destroy Howards leadership? Would you have voted for Costello if Howard had stepped down? Does Kevin Rudd remind you of a ten year old school boy? Isn't Tony Abbott the Devil Incarnate? Do you think Julia Gillards decision to be a barren single woman will negatively affect her role as a leader?

I got side tracked for a moment but yes. Polls are showing Howard is going down, are you pleased as punch or do you fear for our economy under a Labor Government? Thoughts people.

What an excellent topic!

*puts nerd hat on*

This is going to be my first election where I can vote and I am hellaciously excited about it. I reckon the Howard government pretty much knows that they're going down this year, which is probably why they're pulling out all the stops just before election time (FINALLY discussing climate change (albeit in a half assed manner), implementing some changes into making sustainable energy available for more people).

The downside to this is that Rudd is going around like a smug little ten year old, who just knows that he has it in the bag. That part grates me.

Hmmm, I don't see how Julia Gillards' marital status has anything to do with her political life.

I think that the Labor government can do no worse with the economy than the Liberals did for the past decade or so. But then again, with that giant mining boom, we could've had a monkey in charge of the budget and we still probably could've had a surplus each year.

*nerd hat off*

I got my lazy arse friends to enrol the other day because I reminded them that Luke Steele told them so at Big Day Out. And they wholeheartedly agreed! Yes! Things like that DO work!!
  • See, I was raised to hate the Labor party and love the Libs after the pilot strike of 1990 fucked over thousands of pilot families and saw us all moving to Asia or the Middle East, but it gets to a point where you've got to step back and actually look at what they stand for and what you agree/disagree with instead of just going with what your parents told you to do.

Honestly, I voted for Howard last time but he did so many things in the last couple of years that pissed me off (VSU, Industrial Relations, that insanely racist Aboriginal "help" plan, the list goes on) that I just can't stomach him anymore. Plus, shit, eleven years is too long for one person to be in charge. Step down you greedy son of a bitch.

Plus I hate anyone who stands beside Tony Abbott. You cannot possibly comprehend how much I hate that man. How can anyone take that guy seriously when he gets up on his high horse screaming about the morning after pill, abortions and abstinence when you know he shagged his roomie in his 20s, she got pregnant, they put it up for adoption and 25 odd years later he finds the kid and a DNA test proves his roomie was a fucking whore and the kid wasn't even his? I mean come on. STFU.

... I have to admit, if I were PM and the only person in the room with a swivel chair, I'd probably twirl around and mock everyone else who wasn't in a swivel chair too. Does that mean I can never run for PM?
  • QUOTE (LolaBert @ Aug 16 2007, 05:33 PM)
    What an excellent topic!

*puts nerd hat on*

This is going to be my first election where I can vote and I am hellaciously excited about it. I reckon the Howard government pretty much knows that they're going down this year, which is probably why they're pulling out all the stops just before election time (FINALLY discussing climate change (albeit in a half assed manner), implementing some changes into making sustainable energy available for more people).

The downside to this is that Rudd is going around like a smug little ten year old, who just knows that he has it in the bag. That part grates me.

Peter Costello must be going ballistic right now, 'cause who knows if he'll ever have the chance of being PM now. Howard ruined it all for him. I wouldn't be surprised if years from now he snaps and breaks into Howards home with a chainsaw in a fit of rage.

QUOTE (LolaBert @ Aug 16 2007, 05:33 PM)
    Hmmm, I don't see how Julia Gillards' marital status has anything to do with her political life.

Agreed. Unfortunately so many people like to use that against her and say she could never relate to Australian families because she's not a mother, but on the other side of the coin you just KNOW if she had children they'd say she's unsuitable for political life because she has to take care of the kids. It's this disgusting double standard just 'cause she's a woman, she can't do anything right.

I think that the Labor government can do no worse with the economy than the Liberals did for the past decade or so. But then again, with that giant mining boom, we could've had a monkey in charge of the budget and we still probably could've had a surplus each year.

Srsly. Everyone's rabbitting on about interest rates rising and it's like, "Oh hello, how many times has it happened in the last few years? And how many times did Howard promise us it would not happen under his Government?"

*nerd hat off*

I got my lazy arse friends to enrol the other day because I reminded them that Luke Steele told them so at Big Day Out. And they wholeheartedly agreed! Yes! Things like that DO work!!

I have to change my enrolment deets 'cause I just moved to Melbourne and I'm all titchy about it. Power to you for having your very first election. My very first election was the 04 Fed election and I had glandular fever at the time so I was really bitter about having to do it (The last thing I wanted to do was get out of bed and vote when I felt like I was ddyyinnngggg). Hopefully this time I'll be in perfect health.
  • ^^ Haha God, you rule! I'll vote you in as PM!

Honestly, I voted for Howard last time but he did so many things in the last couple of years that pissed me off (VSU, Industrial Relations, that insanely racist Aboriginal "help" plan, the list goes on) that I just can't stomach him anymore. Plus, shit, eleven years is too long for one person to be in charge. Step down you greedy son of a bitch.

I'm still in utter shock and disbelief at how these two things got through. But doesn't Liberal have the majority of seats in both houses? I remember someone pointing that out and thinking "well, we are so fucked right about now."

Plus I hate anyone who stands beside Tony Abbott. You cannot possibly comprehend how much I hate that man. How can anyone take that guy seriously when he gets up on his high horse screaming about the morning after pill, abortions and abstinence when you know he shagged his roomie in his 20s, she got pregnant, they put it up for adoption and 25 odd years later he finds the kid and a DNA test proves his roomie was a fucking whore and the kid wasn't even his? I mean come on. STFU.
    That is brilliant. He's such a douche. Did you see the stuff the Chaser did on him when all of this stuff was coming out?

Agreed. Unfortunately so many people like to use that against her and say she could never relate to Australian families because she's not a mother, but on the other side of the coin you just KNOW if she had children they'd say she's unsuitable for political life because she has to take care of the kids. It's this disgusting double standard just 'cause she's a woman, she can't do anything right.

OMG, you have NO IDEA how much this bothers me. Not just in Australian politics, I'm sure this is quite a widespread thing. It's effing ridiculous.

My current political goal is to get people my age to enrol. Because if they don't do it BEFORE the official date the elections are announced, they miss out. What a dumb system!
  • QUOTE (God @ Aug 16 2007, 05:41 PM)
    ... I have to admit, if I were PM and the only person in the room with a swivel chair, I'd probably twirl around and mock everyone else who wasn't in a swivel chair too. Does that mean I can never run for PM?

it was funny (and i know i'd do it too) but it was a "shit! this 10 year old runs our country" moment and it really bugged me.

I really don't like any of them, I hate that it's a 'lesser of two evils' situation. I just hope by the time I get to vote there'll be some better options... I really doubt it sad.gif

I miss the Chaser, it's time they started paying the crap out of people again!
  • Dude. If I wasn't already planning on voting for Kevin Rudd the revelation that our Federal Opposition Leader got shitfaced at a New York Strip Club in 2003 would make it for me. I love how the Liberals were doing a fucking jig when it came out like it would destroy his chances in the polls, but come on, this is Australia. We love Kevin Rudd MORE for getting shitfaced at a New York strip club.
  • OMG, this is the best thing ever! I saw this on Sunrise this morning and those two berks who do the show were taking it so seriously. They like sent over a news reporter to the actual strip club for "inside info" and tried to make it this big deal.

And when they interviewed people on the street, pretty much all of the replies were along the lines of "it makes him more human", "it was four years ago", or "get over it!" yet still the Sunrise people were like - "It's truly a MIXED BAG of results!" Not really, it's not!
  • I cannot believe that's their "dirt" on Kevin. What reaction were they hoping for with news like that!? haha "it's Australia!"

Bob Brown, in response to the smear campaign: "Four years ago John Howard, sober, took Australia to Iraq" laugh.gif

"inside info"? Poor Sunrise. We saw Kochie and the news girl with brown hair in the city and our whole school ignored them smile.gif
  • I absolutely hate Sunrise. And Today. In fact, I hate morning television period. But yeah, it was brilliant, they were all going on about how it was going to destroy his chances and it's like hello, who hasn't got shit faced drunk at a strip club? I love the Iemma was like, "Yeah, I've been to a strip club too, what about it?"

Aus politics rules.
  • Lalala, incase anyone cares the latest Newspoll has Labor holding a 14point lead over the Coalition with Labor on 51% and the Coalition down to 37%. With preferences factored in, Labor has an 18 point lead. On a two party preferred basis, Labor is on 59% and the Coalition is on 41%. And Rudd is the preferred Prime Minister at 48% with Howard on 37%.

Bwuahahahahaha. This makes me so fucking giddy. Maybe it's horrible for me to get so excited and I realise everyone is trying to play down the polls, but I mean come on, in what world is Howard going to win another term? I think I'll just explode when Rudd becomes PM. I'm dying to see how he handles Bush and Iraq. In fact, I'm dying to see the outcome of his meeting with Bush this week. Tell me someone else is excited as I am, please? Howard has been Prime Minister since I was ten years old. The change alone is enough to make me sqeaul.
  • I can only ever remember having Howard as PM so it is rather exciting!!!

Speaking of meeting Bush, I'm also loving APEC cause i get friday off and when I factor in an excursion I will not be attending, i get a four day weekend!! biggrin.gif
  • Oooh so APEC isn't so bad for the sydneysiders, then? I would be going nuts if I had parts of my city shut down, but then again, I'd also be joining in on the protests this Saturday. WILL YOU BE PROTESTING, MY DEAR?!
  • apec sucks for people who have to travel but yeah, no school, so it's fine by me.

actually, i've heard they're trying to "pass an injunction" so students can't protest but that doesn't matter because there's no way my parent's would let me go. so i won't be protesting, if i was older i probably would but at 16 i'm very vulnerable =P
  • Eh, the police are trying to fancy talk everyone out of protesting, but I don't think they can actually do it. Freedom of speech, all that jazz. We may not have a Bill of Rights but it's a given in this country.

We really should have a bill of rights. i want one.
  • but if we have a bill of rights we'll probably end up with outdated laws, take america for example. Everyone has the right to bear arms. How much grief has that one caused?

Yeah, the police won't be able to stop the protestors but the protestors won't be able to get anywhere close enough to be a threat. Everyone is making a far bigger deal out of this than it is, i mean, protest wise. All they want is to get their message across on the news and hopefully in other countries, no one is actually planning anything violent or dangerous. As far as I'm aware it should be peaceful and there'll be no need to arrest people.
  • Yes, well, we have the benefit of being cleverer than America. No one's going to bring guns back here. I just don't like that our rights are implied, but not set in stone. I'd like to know that my fundamental human rights are protected by Australian law.

As for the protests, unfortunately the police do have a point in that there will be toss pots out there that will use it as an excuse to go too far. It's unfortunate that people like that have to ruin it for everyone else, but I do think that they are making it out to be worse than it will be.
  • the gun laws were just an example but it would be nice to have something concrete. i doubt very much if we'll ever have a bill of rights, australians are too conservative. i think the constitution will just have to suffice.

i can definately see idiots taking it as an excuse to act like idiots *coughcronullariots*

speaking of insane sydney-siders: sydney has been voted best city in the world by some international poll. woot woot!
  • Were these the same people who voted Jetstar as the best low-fare airline in the world?

'Cause those people are fucking idiots.
  • They couldn't be, they are clearly very intelligent people! I think they voted Australia in at about fourth best country... not bad