In this Discussion

New Song for Chicago Fire

Comments

• im wondering when they are are saying fire at the beginning is that tim singing the higher part??
  • QUOTE (AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken @ Aug 19 2007, 02:33 PM)
    im wondering when they are are saying fire at the beginning is that tim singing the higher part??

I'm pretty sure it is. That's my favorite part of the song, the very beginning. smile.gif

Damian's vocals are slammin', by the way. And Dan rocking the cowbell. Awesome awesome.
    I can just picture hundreds of fans singing this. biggrin.gif
  • haha i was singing this song and my sister was like whos the chicago fire and i was like a soccer team and she was like since when do you like soccer and i was like since ok go made this song for them
  • hahaha this is AMAZING!

<3 I love Ok Go even more. akdjghd;fghakhfdtglaidyg

The song itself is kinda silly, and random, but it's also totally amazing, so we can forgive the lyrics a bit ahaha.

I like the Fire, too. Plus, Fire fans are the only ones that really get the whole singing-in-the-stands thing in the first place, so I can imagine this being doubly awesome.

btw, can I also say that I LOVE the song Damone did for the Revs? <3<3 totally awesome.
  • i would LOVE to see this song performed live. The whole audience would be dancing like crazy! too bad it only lasts 65 seconds though. I could totally picture this song in the next EA soccer video game. Fifa World Cup 08?
  • When I was a girl scout, we used to have a song about The Great Chicago Fire (the historical event, obviously, not the Soccer team). And now, as a result of this business, THAT song is stuck in my head.

"Late last night, while we were all in bed
    Mrs. O'Leary hung a lantern in the shed
    And when the cow tipped it over
    She winked her eye and said
    'There'll be a hot time in the old town tonight'
    FIRE FIRE FIRE!"

Thanks, OK Go, for you and your cowbell soccer-ing ways! /sarcasm.

ARGH.
  • well I went to the Red Bulls vs Galaxy game last night and I was kinda hoping this thing would have been mentioned, like this whole team song thing. But most soccer fans are insane, in a good way! I could see fans singing and chanting and screaming and stuff, because they do that already! Chicago fans are lucky enough to have an OK Go song to sing along to haha
  • QUOTE (DJRose @ Aug 19 2007, 06:32 PM)
    When I was a girl scout, we used to have a song about The Great Chicago Fire (the historical event, obviously, not the Soccer team). And now, as a result of this business, THAT song is stuck in my head.

"Late last night, while we were all in bed
    Mrs. O'Leary hung a lantern in the shed
    And when the cow tipped it over
    She winked her eye and said
    'There'll be a hot time in the old town tonight'
    FIRE FIRE FIRE!"

Thanks, OK Go, for you and your cowbell soccer-ing ways! /sarcasm.

ARGH.

I know EXACTLY what song you mean. And I learned it from Girl Scouts, too. =P did you do the thing where you leave out a word each time you sing it and replace it with a hand motion?

Chicago Fire fans sing a version of it at games. I don't know if it's the same words, as the only part I can ever understand is the "FIRE FIRE FIRE" at the end. But that's what I was referring to when I said that Fire fans were the best chanting/singing fans. And to watch them chanting an Ok Go song, well... that would be just incredibly amazing, wouldn't it?

Porifera, that's awesome! Did you have fun? I didn't watch it, but I heard the results, and they were crazy... and I heard there were 60 million people there, and for a soccer game in the US.... that's incredible. <3
  • QUOTE (thephantommilk @ Aug 20 2007, 02:05 AM)
    I know EXACTLY what song you mean. And I learned it from Girl Scouts, too. =P did you do the thing where you leave out a word each time you sing it and replace it with a hand motion?

YES!
  • Granted, this writer is taking a "devil's advocate" stance on the new MLS anthems, BUT look who they chose for the photo:

Entertainment Weekly Popwatch
    "Here Comes the Fire" by OK Go (pictured) has an almost White Stripes-like bassline

They noticed it too!

Thanks for posting!
  • omg i just clicked on this song to listen to it and then i clicked back to this website and you had posted WEIRD!
  • QUOTE (mumblo @ Aug 28 2007, 02:58 PM)
    Granted, this writer is taking a "devil's advocate" stance on the new MLS anthems, BUT look who they chose for the photo:

Entertainment Weekly Popwatch

laugh.gif I can just feeeel the hatred eminating from that article.
  • at least they said that OK Go's song was pretty good.

why does everyone hate it so much?? haha
  • QUOTE (porifera @ Aug 28 2007, 06:11 PM)
    at least they said that OK Go's song was pretty good.

Because critics are always looking for something to criticize.
  • QUOTE (porifera @ Aug 28 2007, 06:11 PM)
    at least they said that OK Go's song was pretty good.

Cuz their jealous haha
  • hahaha good answer you guys!
  • I didn't see that anyone hated it. That guy said, "'Here Comes the Fire' by OK Go (pictured) has an almost White Stripes-like bassline and passable lyrics," which is actually marginally positive. He thinks that "Here Comes The Fire" is one of the better songs, but I take it that he also sees it for what it is, and not more.

I don't know if I was misunderstood in my post, but I have a feeling that I was. I wasn't implying that they set out to create something brilliant and failed to impress me. I was saying that they set out to create a simple fight song and they succeeded in creating a simple fight song. The song is simple by design, musically and lyrically, and this is completely intentional. The sound and production and performance is good. They didn't set out to craft something as thoughtfully and with the same amount of effort as the rest of their material on Oh No or OK Go--the stuff that would make me say, "OMG AWESOME". It's like apples and oranges. But they did a fine job for what they were apparently setting out to do. That is not a diss--it's understanding the point! smile.gif I wouldn't expect a grand masterpiece for something like this, though I'm sure that with time and effort, they could have pulled off a masterpiece if they'd wanted.

It's not *quite* the same thing, but John Lennon said something once, like, "We could record "Happy Birthday" and it'd sell a million copies." He was talking about the way people'd say anything they did was awesome even if it took very little effort, and there was the slightest hint of contempt behind his words. Would I have bought a Beatles version of "Happy Birthday"? Sure!!! laugh.gif Because it'd be them, and I'm a fan, and I'd listen to it every once in a while to hear my favorite band sing "Happy Birthday". I'd buy it, but at the same time, I'd recognize it for what it was, and I wouldn't praise it as if it were of "Yesterday" caliber. That's not being "critical". It's keeping perspective and understanding the point of something (and it's a little bit about not wanting to be "THAT" kind of fan blink.gif tongue.gif ).

I like "Here Comes the Fire" more than you probably think I do! I just wouldn't say it quite compares to other truly amazing material of theirs. And OK Go is so good, I'm aware that I'm spoiled. happy.gif

(And maybe part of it is a cultural thing. In Germany, they don't usually say things like, "Amazing!" or "Incredible!" or "Awesome!" or "Brilliant!", when they really just mean, "Nice", "Okay", or "Good". It doesn't mean they like something less, or that they're less friendly. They also don't usually say, "I hate...!" when they really mean, "I don't really like...". The English-speaking world, by comparison, seems accustomed to a lot more hyperbole and extreme adjectives. On my eighth year of another culture, my scale has sort of been recalibrated, word-wise. I don't think either "style" is a bad thing; it's just a difference that can be confusing for me sometimes when I try to gauge what people really think, because it seems that positivity is often very exaggerated, and sometimes I get into dilemmas over my own choice of words. I'm mostly habituated to a certain style now, because over here, if you constantly run around using strong words like "Amazing!", or saying you "love" and "hate" every little thing, they'll just look at you like you're a Yankee Doodle Wacko, too easily impressed, or unstable. laugh.gif Sometimes I'll go all hyperbolic to fit in, in certain situations, besides when strong words actually reflect what I think, but sometimes I can't bring myself to do it because it feels like transparent insincerity (fake). I always hope I am not coming off as totally indifferent or rude.)
  • I don't think that anyone was referring to your comment, Karen. I read a few articles that I didn't bother posting links to that bashed the song (and actually, all of the MLS Fight Songs), one that specifically said that "the phrase 'Blissfully short' comes to mind" about the OK Go song. The entire article was in a very sarcastic, "I hate everyone" kind of tone, and that's why I said that critics were looking for things to criticize (because, really, they are).

Personally I am not a fan of critics - music, movies, or otherwise - because most of the time I find them to be extremely pretentious. Not just when they hate something, either. They love the most AWFUL movies, simply because they are artsy. I honestly think that people should judge things for themselves rather than listen to someone who doesn't create their own art in favor of spending all their time judging other people's and getting paid to be an arsehole.

And finally, I shall leave you with this comic for which I literally just spent 20 minutes looking.

• Ohhh, there was that. I'd read that, but somehow I had forgotten it already (the "blissfully short" comment). I need to pay more attention here!

I've observed the same things about too many critics, myself. Good points. And yes, sometimes they miss the point that something is not FOR them. It reminds me of the "fashion" critics from the red carpet. I mean, that was "Swoosh!"--it went right over their heads, now, didn't it. rolleyes.gif Critics had no more business critiquing those costumes/outfits than they had critiquing what Cirque du Soleil wears. Geez.

Once in a while you find a good critic, though--good in the way of "pretty reliable" at predicting what you might love or dislike--and who is fair. It's tough, though.

I'm relieved that you don't think my post was misunderstood. I really didn't want anyone getting the wrong impression from it.