In this Discussion

Congrats to Obama and to all of us

Comments

• QUOTE (QueenofthePosers @ Jun 6 2008, 05:47 AM)
    You can't just say 'Hillary is divisive' and ignore how divisive Obama will be. I've personally never thought it mattered, but 1 in 5 voters in Kentucky admitted voting for anyone BUT him because he's black, and an astounding large number of Americans think that he's Muslim. I'm desperately hoping that this election doesn't get ugly, but it's a distinct possibility. The US might be about to show how racist it really is, despite all these years of pretending racism isn't there.

That said, I'm happy that this part of the race is finally over, but I'm not about to start calling Obama my president because the next few months are going to be about a million times harder. He still has a LOT to overcome to get to the Oval Office. McCain has only been strengthened by this long battle.

Hillary as VP would be a mistake. That ticket couldn't win--she should get a position in his Cabinet, but he really does need someone (unfortunately probably a white male) from within the establishment to reach moderates and those less interested in 'radical change' who are looking for experience.

But as for Hillary, who has been vilified in the media while Obama gets dream-candidate treatment--yes, she's part of the establishment, but that IS AMERICAN POLITICS. It would never have been an issue in the past because there's never been a candidate from outside the fold. She had HUGE public support and was the first viable female candidate for President. She's not evil, and no more divisive than Obama. Nothing can ever be fixed in the US if we continue all these vitriolic statements about people on both sides. Yes, she has mispoken, but she has also received incredibly unfair treatment from the media and managed to handle it all with dignity. STOP with the hatred and anger--you're contributing to the problem instead of helping find a solution. Let it go and concentrate on the future. Wouldn't it be depressing if McCain won this election cause Dems were all too focused on hating Hillary or Obama to unite?

QUOTE (thephantommilk @ Jun 6 2008, 02:35 PM)
    Sally, as much as I love you, you are pretty biased against Hillary. Not that that's a bad thing- I do think Obama was the better candidate, and I don't think she's a particularly good VP candidate either, and I agree with most of what you say. But even if the facts you present are correct, the way you present them is very opinionated, very hateful towards Hillary, and that means it is divisive. I know you just get really worked up about this stuff, and that can be a good thing, but it can also be divisive. It's just a fact.

Generally, the divisiveness and the hatred in these campaigns are going to make it really really difficult for Obama to win now. It would DEFINITELY be better if both the Hillary and Obama parties would get over it and focus against McCain now, not against each other.

You are very obviously an Obama supporter, and Obama needs to win over Hillary's people. If you and people like you keep villifying Hilllary, that's gonna be harder for him to accomplish. So now, more than ever, it's bad for everyone to keep up the hatred and vitriolic-ness that has been the hallmark of this battle so far.

And I do think that as candidates, like Sarah said, they were equally as divisive- maybe not for the right reasons, as you pointed out, but it's still a fact and still something that needs to be recognised. It's not right, or good, but in many ways Obama is as divisive as Hillary, even if it's because of race vs. policies.

I know you don't like Hillary, heck, I don't particularly like her, but I'm not going to let my dislike distract me from the real goal, which is to get Obama as president.

Agreed 100% with both of you. I haven't been active in this discussion because honestly, I was living in France for a year and paying far more attention to the French election than what was going over here, and then when I moved back a year ago, I just didn't have the motivation to dive back into the political discussion as I had, say, four years ago.

But I agree with what Meg and Sarah have both said. The reality is that we have a very long way to go before we can start declaring Obama "Our Next President." It's an optimistic outlook, yes, but it's also a little short-sighted. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Obama won, but I think the odds, no matter what polls or politicians are saying, are in McCain's favour. It's up to us to change that.

but honestly, the European media has no affect on how most Americans vote.

No, but it has a huge impact on how the rest of the world sees us, and that's pretty damn important, not to mention the thousands of Americans who live abroad and do vote in US elections.

And honestly, don't use that as an excuse to discount Sarah's opinion.
  • I'm just not used to this, I'm sorry. All of my friends are liberal, and we've gone door to door until our primary, and after that, we continued to telephone to voters in other states, on behalf of Obama: we did this because we believed in him and we believed in ourselves, and belief in truth is not something that should be tempered somehow to satisfy the social philosophy of moderation.

This war and this administration has hit my family in ways I don't dare to make public, but that shouldn't matter- everyone should be angry, everyone should be passionate, everyone should feel such outrage that she/he has never felt before. And yet, I am criticized for opposing Hillary Clinton.

I just can't understand how someone who

1) voted for war in Iraq
    2) voted for hostility in Iran
    3) announced that her administration would approach Iran with a policy of obliteration rather than diplomacy
    4) openly and repeatedly criticized the idea of meeting with so-called enemies

could be so well received.
    I just can't understand how anyone could look at this candidate and say, "She should be at the top of the ticket...or if not at the top, she should be a heartbeat away from it."

I am also staunch feminist. I carried around Gloria Steinem's books with me wherever I went as a kid. Because of that disposition, I do not understand how a woman who got where she is because she is "somebody's wife" (Steve Boucer, thepilot.com) could ever represent the female cause. She's no Diane Feinstein, no Nancy Pelosi, no symbol of women's lib. To call her such, to vote for her because of her gender instead of her mind, and to praise her as a pioneer (whatever happened to Shirley Chrisholm? Forgotten.) is disturbing.

To say she had more experience when in fact Obama had more senatorial experience is perturbing. To say she represents the common man more than Obama does is heart-wrenching.

These things, and all the things that have happened during this campaign season- and the events are too voluminous to list here- are not trivial matters. Since when did we live in a nation where we ought to shut up with the opinions? Since when was it wrong to look at facts and evaluate them?

And yet, I have been told, "But even if the facts you present are correct, the way you present them is very opinionated." Wherein lies the problem? What are we to do with facts, if not to use them to make decisions? Do we list the voting records and statements and policies and behaviors of the candidates and then throw all of these things away? Do we forget what the facts actually mean, what very real bearing they have on the lives of people? We make decisions by our opinions, and so we should examine the facts, and from them, make opinions that we can voice loudly and with courage.

The ironic thing is that I do, actually, have one Hillary supporter as a friend. He is extremely, extremely smart, this friend. He reads everything, listens to everything: just talking to him is overwhelming. He could trip up Tim Russert (who is now a hero of mine). Never did this friend tell me to tone down my Hillary criticisms. Rather, he loved to argue with me; he believed in truth as much as I did and he felt the weight of the election as much as I did, and believing as he did, and feeling as he did, there was no way he could accept a discussion that was less than passionate, that was "nice" or "moderate" or any of those socially acceptable characterizations. He'd argue with me loudly and firmly, and he almost always had me admitting that he had the stronger point. The facts meant everything to him. That's the dissonance of democracy, the sweetest discord in the world.

But here, I'm told to stop hating Hillary and to stop being opinionated and to acknowledge that she was mistreated by the media. I was told to tone down my criticisms when I posted during the primary season, and I was told to tone down when I gave my reasons that I did not want her as a running mate.

Alright, I understand, even though I'm not used to it: at this forum, I guess the tacit rule is to tone it down. That's fine, and I'll do it from now on, but I have to add, nothing great in history ever came from toning it down.

It's also been said here that I've been carrying on in a way that is not conducive to the general election, that I've been divisive by criticizing Hillary when describing why I didn't support her as the running mate and that I've called Obama president prematurely.

To the first point: If I didn't want Hillary as president because of her positions, then I'm not going to want her as vice-president for exactly the same reasons. I can't pretend to open my arms to her and look myself in the eye at the mirror; neither can I tone down the criticisms, for if a vote for war incited vehement outrage in me the first time, it's going to do the same the second time it comes up. In a post about Hillary as a running mate, I am going to say exactly the same things I said in a post about Hillary as presidential nominee, because the facts have not changed. To do any less, to tone it down, would mean that the issues are less urgent now, less important, require less feeling- and that's not true.

Is it divisive of me to say so vehemently that Hillary was unethical in her behaviors, statements and positions? The word "divisive" implies that I am creating some kind of impenetrable split. With my friend, however, he argued strongly and I argued strongly, and by clashing, we brought life to democracy. No quiet, toned down talk could ever embody real expression. Let's all be passionate and loud, sincere, open and honest. From that kind of market place of ideas comes true unity. Those who loved Hillary will continue to love her, and those who hated her will continue to hate her; that someone expressed one of these never created the opposite feeling in someone else- that is, such an expression is not divisive. If opinions come from facts and not gender or hairstyle, then stating those opinions could never ever be divisive. Instead, they only lead to the happy clashes of democracy, and ultimately, help discern the truth.

I suppose there really are people who love or hate Hillary because of gender or hairstyle, and for people like that, yes, opinions can be divisive. For people like that, if I said I didn't like Hillary because she is unethical, then yes, such people will cling to their love for her and swear to God that they will never share a side with me. But I don't talk to these kinds of people. I talk to people who loved Hillary for her health care mandates and her tax cuts, and now that she's not on the top of the ticket, these people will look at McCain's plan and they will look at Obama's, and they will choose Obama's. And these same people will say they want Hillary as Obama's running mate, and I will tell them that I do not, and we will argue as we did before, because the facts have not changed.

I do have to confess that at one point I was sure I would vote for McCain over Hillary. I thought this for about a week or so, until I got an email from Moveon, outlining some of McCain's positions. I then started my own research of McCain's voting record and the facts told me one thing: Hillary would be a better president than McCain- and I knew what I had to do, if I had to. Thankfully, I didn't have to, but I know that Hillary supporters- those who supported her for the facts- will go through the same process and choose Obama.

I never said I didn't want unity- I just never thought toning down opinions and closing off the criticism of Hillary was the acceptable way to get it.

As to the second thing I've been told, that I shouldn't call Obama president b.c there's still work to be done. Well, I wrote that post on the day he won the nomination- and that was a really, incredibly huge thing. I was happy.

PS: Katy, I wasn't trying to discount Sarah's opinion, or say that the world's opinion didn't matter. I was just replying that Hillary had not, in fact, been mistreated by the media as studies show, and that fact is important in showing that Obama is the legitimate nominee of the party- American voters weren't as a whole affected by media mistreatment of Hillary, even if such mistreatment occurred in Europe.

PPS: I didn't mean to, but I probably offended some people here- for that, I'm really sorry.
  • One can cite as many studies as one wishes, but what counts is how one FEELS a candidate was received by the media. So, for example, though because of the study you referenced I may now know that Obama and Hillary were given equal weight by the media, it still doesn't change the fact that, during the primaries, I felt that Hillary was treated unfairly compared to Obama.
    That's where the difference lies.

But that's kind of a moot point now.
  • hahahahahaha...that was awesome Rach. smile.gif

• I certainly thought so!

Thanks, Rosa. wink.gif
  • So I've just been reading about how, since securing the Democrat candidacy, Obama's been moving more to the right of the political spectrum. I'm sure you guys would know more about this than me, so what does everyone think?

Here's the article that I read: The Observer, 29.6.08

I'd like to know peoples' thoughts.
  • Unfortunate, but shockingly predictable; no matter what one actually plans on doing in office, one needs to first get elected, even if it means catering to those one would otherwise not cater to.
  • at this point, I'm really not into McCain or Obama dry.gif
  • Hey hey hey,
    How do you feel about Obama planning to go along with the bill that would grant retroactive protection to communications groups that went along with the Bush administration's wiretaps/allow further governmental wiretapping?

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2008/07/n...ots-activi.html

Me? It makes me kind of sick. I can understand moving more towards "center" policies in order to actually get into office, but this is completely ridiculous and goes against everything I hoped Obama would do now that he has the nomination. He can use all the big talk he wants (calling it a "compromise" and saying that 'oh no, don't worry, unlike George Bush, I won't abuse these powers when I'm in office' is RIDICULOUS), it's still a terrible bill and something that we should be ashamed even came this far. What happened to outrage?

Can I haz fourth amendment?
  • I have to agree with you- it's sick and disheartening. I tried to swallow the "compromise" bit, but it's just too much to swallow. It hurt to hear about this, and it feeds into my dad's "you have to sell your soul to the real ppl behind the scenes in order to win" theory, which I had fought tooth and nail til now. It's scary and makes hope that much harder to believe in.

QUOTE (tonetoile @ Jul 7 2008, 10:46 PM)
    Hey hey hey,
    How do you feel about Obama planning to go along with the bill that would grant retroactive protection to communications groups that went along with the Bush administration's wiretaps/allow further governmental wiretapping?

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2008/07/n...ots-activi.html

Me? It makes me kind of sick. I can understand moving more towards "center" policies in order to actually get into office, but this is completely ridiculous and goes against everything I hoped Obama would do now that he has the nomination. He can use all the big talk he wants (calling it a "compromise" and saying that 'oh no, don't worry, unlike George Bush, I won't abuse these powers when I'm in office' is RIDICULOUS), it's still a terrible bill and something that we should be ashamed even came this far. What happened to outrage?

Can I haz fourth amendment?

• Hopefully he'll realize what a mistake it would be to vote for this and change his mind.
    I'm still not voting for McCain, but, as you said, it hurts.
  • whats a Joe Biden?
  • QUOTE (Head Full of Crazy @ Aug 23 2008, 06:27 PM)
    whats a Joe Biden?

he's a vp nominee apparently

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/worl...icle4597173.ece
  • He is MY State's Senator!!!

Andy, you and I were chatting once when he walked RIGHT PAST me at work! He was here to speak to the attorneys. He lives in my friend's grandparents' neighborhood and goes to their church - even sat behind them last week, LOL! Oh, and my other friend used to work in his office. This is VERY exciting for us Delawareans, I'll tell you. Almost everyone I know from here loves Biden. Those who don't are Republicans. wink.gif
  • So then very much yay for the Illinois-Delware ticket!!!
  • Just saw Hillary's speech- it was fantastic. Completely fantastic.
  • QUOTE (Tabetha @ Aug 26 2008, 11:21 PM)
    Just saw Hillary's speech- it was fantastic. Completely fantastic.

LOL I was thinking of you during that speech - I'm THRILLED that you liked it as much as I did, dear.
  • *sigh* I wish they showed the whole of her speech over here. As disgusted as I was by U.S. news (and commercials - why is EVERYTHING for drugs and tax debt lawyers??) I miss all the election coverage. All I've heard is that she was extremely positive about Obama and encouraged her supporters to vote for him too. Anything else of note?

By the way - has anyone read The Audacity of Hope? I'm reading it now - it's brilliant! I love Obama even more now.
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX4gQKpfJOI

There you are, love. So you can see it for yourself.

My favorite parts:
    The Republican Convention will be in the Twin Cities - how appropos that is, since you can't tell the difference between John McCain and Dubya.

No Way, No How, No McCain!

To her supporters: Were you in this for ME or were you in this for your country? We've worked too hard and come too far to see all our work go to waste under another 4 years of Republican rule.

And my ABSOLUTE favorite:
    My mother was born when women did not have the right to vote. My daughter cast a vote for her mother for President.

That was so moving I almost cried.