In this Discussion

Olympic Mania

Comments

• congrats team gb

wooo usa!!!
    we won gold in mens 4x100 freestyle relay!!!
    michael phelps wigged out forealz.
  • QUOTE (xxhot-shot-sugarxx @ Aug 11 2008, 12:34 AM)
    congrats team gb

wooo usa!!!
    we won gold in mens 4x100 freestyle relay!!!
    michael phelps wigged out forealz.

yes! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Phelps! wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif

Look at George Bush in love with him too:
  • BOOM

gold AND bronze in the same event

world, you just got PWN'D again, GB needs to stand for GOLD Britain

[EDIT]

the girls who won live and or train around nottingham also

so really, nottingham is better then the entire world at somthing other then stabbing youths
  • The French are eating their words now... "We're going to SMASH the Americans, because that's what we came here to do"

Yeah. Okay. What happened in that relay last night, assholes?!

HA!

My gymnast girls need to get their shit together! All hail Shawn Johnson!
  • got team Gold Britain against canada in tennis atm

come on GB

[edit]

this is the most boring tennis match i think ive ever seen

• Everyone root for Ken Jurkowski and the Men's Rowing Team! Ken went to my high school!!
  • QUOTE (Head Full of Crazy @ Aug 11 2008, 10:19 AM)

LOOOOL. I don't know why, but that made me laugh so hard.
    and congrats on the female swimming!

@Katie- I can't believe that French guy was so arrogant. He was like, the perfect stereotype of a French guy. But I love how Phelps said "We'll let our swimming do the talking" and we won!

@Rachel- whoooah, that's awesome! I'm going to count you in my 6 links away from an Olympiad, lol.
  • QUOTE (Head Full of Crazy @ Aug 11 2008, 08:19 AM)
    got team Gold Britain against canada in tennis atm

come on GB

[edit]

how could you andy? you sold me mel and fel out. shame.
  • im more GB then i am canadian!

who won in the end?

or did everyone lose interest in the match like i did and they will play for ever now

QUOTE (Tabetha @ Aug 11 2008, 05:27 PM)
    LOOOOL. I don't know why, but that made me laugh so hard.
    and congrats on the female swimming!

it was shite!

and thanks, we rock

[EDIT]

we did win apprently at the tennis..
  • Fact : "medalie" is not actually a word.

QUOTE (MyFavoritePerson @ Aug 8 2008, 07:44 PM)
    Even with the whole DUI thing? That's not so cool.

That was like...two and a half years ago, wasn't it? I mean, yeah, not so cool, but it wasn't like he did it two days ago while driving around Beijing.

QUOTE (Tabetha @ Aug 11 2008, 12:38 AM)
    Look at George Bush in love with him too:

The funniest parts are when Bush is sitting there, waving his little American flag. "I wave my little flag at yooooooou!" Cracks me up every time.

Things I don't like : Americans taking what the French said out of proportion and using it as a reason to act like jerkasses. They were asked what they were going to do which was, in their minds, win, of course. That's what EVERY athlete and time is there to do. If you're NOT there to beat/smash/whatever verb you may so choose your opponent, then whyyyyy are you there? When the announcer said something about "the French talking trash" and then it turns out the dude just said, "We're going to smash them," I was like, really? That's trash talking? That's not trash talking. Saying something like, "The Americans suck and we're going to pound them into a little tiny pulp and that Phelps, he cannot swim at all! They all suck! Vive la France!", THAT'S trash talking.

And now everybody's like AHAHAHAHA EAT THAT FRANCE AHAHAHAHA. Come on. Just because we won (and it was a fantastic race, don't get me wrong) doesn't mean we can act like assholes. I wanted to hit half the journalists and commentators post-race yesterday.

Sorry. I'm happy the US won, but I also heart France a whole bunch. wub.gif
  • QUOTE (jedi_grrlie @ Aug 12 2008, 07:48 AM)
    Fact : "medalie" is not actually a word.

pffft it is in my world

[EDIT]

GB is PWNing at badminton again this year, eat shit china
  • I just think they (France) could have had a little more tact. Everyone is there to win and even the commentators said that America had almost no chance at all of out touching France, but they did. You can listen to a zillion interviews where people are asked what they plan to do and most don't say "smash" them... maybe I'm naive and don't see enough interviews, but that's just my opinion.

Michael Phelps is super laid back and doesn't really let anything phase him, people misconstrue that for cockiness... so I guess that's a "negative" thing in the eyes of many...

Whatevs. I missed a lot of the men's gymnastics, but I'm very happy they pulled out the bronze smile.gif I think they were missing the Hamm twins this go-round though...
  • a silver for GB, and 2 bronzes

the silver was won from someone from nottingham again

so nottingham is still better then everywhere else

be jelous
  • QUOTE (jedi_grrlie @ Aug 12 2008, 02:48 AM)
    The funniest parts are when Bush is sitting there, waving his little American flag. "I wave my little flag at yooooooou!" Cracks me up every time.

OMG, and not just that! The way he checked his watch during the opening ceremony, when he had his flag the wrong way, and ooomg, when he was raising the roof during the basketball game. The way he was smiling!
    Let me say, I hate this man for how many deaths he has caused, and I view him as an evil person.
    And yet! Watching him there, he's friggin adorable! I wanted to hug him!
    He looked exactly like the grandpa I always wished I had.
    And so, while other times I look at death counts and believe this guy is going to hell, here he is making me want to hug him. It's very conflicting!

My 2 cents on the French swimmer: I dunno, picking out a country to smash doesn't seem like a very natural or sportsman-like thing to do. I mean, th USA and France weren't the only ones competing, so it's kind of off-putting to be threatened with specific destruction. "I'm going to win and be the best in the world because I'm pumped and competitive" just doesn't equal "I'm going to smash the Americans." It's kind of the way McCain is always speaking negatively about his opponent instead of positively about himself. The emphasis just isn't in the right place and it comes off as jarring.
  • to be fair, most competiters dont like america, your the big boys to beat

your the team in the film that has al lthe rich kids with all the best equipment

and we are all the underdogs with some players missing limbs
  • Is it weird that I don't have Olympic mania? In fact, the only reason I turn it on is to roll my eyes at whatever stupid thing Bush is doing in the audience?
  • QUOTE (katieyellow @ Aug 12 2008, 08:35 AM)
    I just think they (France) could have had a little more tact. Everyone is there to win and even the commentators said that America had almost no chance at all of out touching France, but they did. You can listen to a zillion interviews where people are asked what they plan to do and most don't say "smash" them... maybe I'm naive and don't see enough interviews, but that's just my opinion.

Michael Phelps is super laid back and doesn't really let anything phase him, people misconstrue that for cockiness... so I guess that's a "negative" thing in the eyes of many...

And I think the way the Americans handled it - not the swimmers themselves, mind you, but the commentators and people that were interviewing them post-race - could have been more tactful. I think they were blowing the statement out of proportion and looking for an excuse to say "IN YOUR FACE!!!" What's less tactful - making a clear, if maybe forceful, "We're here to win it" statement or, essentially, saying "OH LOOK, WHO'S TALKING NOW?!" post-race? Which is what one reporter said. I think being a jerky winner is only a step up from being a sore loser.

Honestly, I have more of an issue with the commentary than anything else. I think the commentary, on the whole, has been very poorly done. I don't have any issue with Michael Phelps - he seems like a genial guy and I like him.

QUOTE (Tabetha @ Aug 12 2008, 09:57 PM)
    My 2 cents on the French swimmer: I dunno, picking out a country to smash doesn't seem like a very natural or sportsman-like thing to do. I mean, th USA and France weren't the only ones competing, so it's kind of off-putting to be threatened with specific destruction. "I'm going to win and be the best in the world because I'm pumped and competitive" just doesn't equal "I'm going to smash the Americans."

And, like I said, essentially saying, "TAKE THAT FRANCE!" is a sportsman-like thing to do? It's not really an issue that France and the US weren't the only ones competing, or that France was "singling a country out" ; the US team was the biggest threat to the French team, hands down, and they probably knew that. (Obviously, because they wound up beating them.) And Bernard was specifically asked, "What about the American team?" He didn't single them out, the interviewer did. If the interviewer was American, they were probably looking for the sort of response that Bernard gave ; if he or she was French, then, well, what else are you going to say? Sure, he could have just said "We're going to beat them," but he's certainly not going to downplay it and say, "Oh, you know, we're going to try our best against them" to his national press.

This is something Americans don't understand about the French - they have a very "all-or-nothing" attitude when it comes to a lot of things. Compromise isn't good enough ; silver isn't winning it. Either you win or you don't, whether in sports or politics or whatever else, and I think Bernard's statements, more than reflecting his own personalty and beliefs, reflect those of an entire society and culture. It's not that they're mean or unsportmanly ; it's just the way the French think.
  • QUOTE (jedi_grrlie @ Aug 12 2008, 11:43 PM)
    And, like I said, essentially saying, "TAKE THAT FRANCE!" is a sportsman-like thing to do? It's not really an issue that France and the US weren't the only ones competing, or that France was "singling a country out" ; the US team was the biggest threat to the French team, hands down, and they probably knew that. (Obviously, because they wound up beating them.) And Bernard was specifically asked, "What about the American team?" He didn't single them out, the interviewer did. If the interviewer was American, they were probably looking for the sort of response that Bernard gave ; if he or she was French, then, well, what else are you going to say? Sure, he could have just said "We're going to beat them," but he's certainly not going to downplay it and say, "Oh, you know, we're going to try our best against them" to his national press.

Wow, I didn't know the reporter specifically said "American." That makes things very different, especially, yeah, if he were talking to the french press. In that case, things were def'ly reported here in an out-of-proportion way.

This is something Americans don't understand about the French - they have a very "all-or-nothing" attitude when it comes to a lot of things. Compromise isn't good enough ; silver isn't winning it. Either you win or you don't, whether in sports or politics or whatever else, and I think Bernard's statements, more than reflecting his own personalty and beliefs, reflect those of an entire society and culture. It's not that they're mean or unsportmanly ; it's just the way the French think.

Interesting. You make complete sense tho- and I had no idea they had that character. Thx for this- I feel like things are a lot clearer knowing this now.
  • QUOTE (Head Full of Crazy @ Aug 12 2008, 10:04 PM)
    to be fair, most competiters dont like america, your the big boys to beat

Unfortunately, this is a pretty commonly known fact... we know people and other countries don't like us.

QUOTE (jedi_grrlie @ Aug 12 2008, 11:43 PM)
    And I think the way the Americans handled it - not the swimmers themselves, mind you, but the commentators and people that were interviewing them post-race - could have been more tactful. I think they were blowing the statement out of proportion and looking for an excuse to say "IN YOUR FACE!!!" What's less tactful - making a clear, if maybe forceful, "We're here to win it" statement or, essentially, saying "OH LOOK, WHO'S TALKING NOW?!" post-race? Which is what one reporter said. I think being a jerky winner is only a step up from being a sore loser.

Honestly, I have more of an issue with the commentary than anything else. I think the commentary, on the whole, has been very poorly done. I don't have any issue with Michael Phelps - he seems like a genial guy and I like him.

You know what? I sort of had an inkling that Bernard was conditioned to say this... that the commentators put 'America(ns)' into it.... that's what reporters do, unfortunately. That changes my perspective a little. And what Michael Phelps' mom and sisters said on their interview w/ Matt Lauer and Meredith Viera the other day, was that Michael hadn't even talked about his possible 8 gold medals and breaking Mark Spitz's record... the press did that for him. That he wanted to come to Beijing, swim his absolute best, and to have fun. They were interviewing him and his other 800m relay teammates (Loechte is pretty cute...btw) yesterday and he was speechless thinking about being A. THe most decorated American and B. Being 3 medals away from having the most gold. That he hadn't thought about it before (at least publically) and this was the first he spoke about it... I just adore him... I think he's wonderful, humble AND confident. He and Shawn Johnson (gymnastics) are for me, the faces of the US Olympic team.

Natalie Coughlin is pretty amazing too... our swimmers just kick ass.
  • QUOTE (katieyellow @ Aug 13 2008, 09:28 AM)
    Unfortunately, this is a pretty commonly known fact... we know people and other countries don't like us.

Haha, yes, sadly we are aware. When one of my friends went to France, she told people she was Canadian so they would be nicer to her.